• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Theories suck

It's fun speculating but it's people taking speculation as gospel that make it anti-fun.

Nah, I don't read into theories much, but this one makes a lot of sense. I can't see it NOT happening in some manner. They're really focusing on her now like they did Peridot, and we saw how that ended up. Jasper is just.....angrier.

Flashpoint is weird

Like,ok,Thomas is a bats that kills people.
Then, as soon as he hears flash's tale, he shifts. And actually treats most people around him better than bruce (usually) does. On top of being the most pragmatical motherfucker i've seen in a long freaking time.

As a result,dude completely undermines the book's main event, the fight of helmetlady vs crew cut guy, and every development in it, all because he points out that the book's existence is temporary. That'd be like having a character telling peoplein SW3-4 that nothing matters cuz lol, status quo will return if we get this other thing right.

Good ending, tho. No denying that. Letter to bruce hit me hard.

shingi70

Banned
Making my first ever instocktrades order later this week picking up.

Golden Age Suicide Squad omnibus Vol.1
Montress Vol.1
Black Lighting TP

Did someone say BDSM?

DyFr3iV.jpg

Messi

Just got to the Larraz art in Uncanny Avengers, it's so beautiful. Keep Stegman away from this book please. Keep Larraz on art.

Sandfox

Just got to the Larraz art in Uncanny Avengers, it's so beautiful. Keep Stegman away from this book please. Keep Larraz on art.
Larraz is staying on the book while Stegman draws Renew Your Vows. Stegman's UA art is weird while his Spidey art is good so I like this move.

Megatron

Never saw the appeal in Stegman. It's as if the people reading spiderman said 'well, he's not Ramos, so we love him.'

PsychBat!

Banned
Nah, I don't read into theories much, but this one makes a lot of sense. I can't see it NOT happening in some manner. They're really focusing on her now like they did Peridot, and we saw how that ended up. Jasper is just.....angrier.

Peridot is my favorite Gem.

Smoky Quartz
is my favorite fusion.

I think Jasper will be bubbled for some time.

Messi

Totally awesome Hulk #12 cover. Black Panther has a hulkbuster.

Coates probably won't deal with this. The real issues in comics.

--

Deadpool asking Cable if Half Life 3 is out in the future in Uncanny Avengers lol

Foofaraw

Making my first ever instocktrades order later this week picking up.

Golden Age Suicide Squad omnibus Vol.1
Montress Vol.1
Black Lighting TP

Montress ist krieg.

Did you mean Silver Age? I just looked for that omni, and Silver Age showed up. It also has the first appearance of the group from The Brave and The Bold. I can't speak to that stuff, but the Ostrander Suicide Squad is fantastic and certainly worth your time. It came out right after Infinite Crisis, and DC did not give half a shit about their D-list characters. So, Ostrander is allowed to kill them in this thing. It's nice to have a real since of danger in a Super Villain book.

I really want to make another IST order, but I have such a backlog right now. So I'm reading through it.

Flash by Geoff Johns. Pretty good. I'm assuming they explain the switch from white'ed out eyes to old fashion Barry eye-holes in a different comic? Possibly JLA? This was a fun read, but I don't think I'm going to grab the second volume. The Rogues are a lot of fun, and seeing Mirror Master and Captain Cold was a treat, as I don't normally read Flash. Knowing that Johns later goes on to bring back Barry, when Wally is so much fun, is disappointing. I'd imagine that happens in the next collection?

Shade: The Changing Man. I'm not done reading this yet. It is one of the strangest comics I have read in a long time. The first trade starts of with a woman, Kathy, in a "Look Who's Coming to Dinner" situation, who comes home to find her parents being brutally murdered. Of course, the cops shoot her boyfriend as he tries to take out the killer, because he is black and "it is the South, after all." The real killer, Troy, is put to the electric chair while Kathy watches. At the moment of death, his body is overtaken by Shade, the Changing Man from Meta. Things get weird from there.

I go from being disturbed, to fascinated, to board, to disturbed at lightning fast pace. I think a lot of the boredom in the middle of the trade has more to do with the subject matter, The JFK assassination. However, the overarching theme of the book is madness, and I can't think of a better known group of established crazy from the early 90's than JFK conspiracy nuts. I can't believe this was a DC book, but I can certainly believe it is the reason they started the Vertigo imprint. The art has some of the finest body horror I've seen in comics. The color is psychedelic, and even the terrible newsprint quality of the trade seems to lend to, rather than detract, as the slow yellowing of the paper hints at the slow decent into decay and madness. I am certainly going to get the next trade. This is some of my favorite horror-ish fantasy/psychedelic comics that I've read.

As I was reading this, it just reminded me of my disappointment in the new Hellblazer book. This actually has horrific images, actions, and prose. Hellblazer has bad things happening, that could certainly be horrific, and the idea of it happening is awful, but the way it comes across on the page is no worse than any other world ending event that may happen in the pages of Justice League.

Are there any good horror comics coming out now? Not just gore garbage that Avatar puts out. Something with substance that gets under your skin a little bit.

Messi

Attention retailers/readers: put your order in for @AfterlifeArchie #10 today! It's almost a double issue 34 full pg. Full, self contained story about Josie &the Pussycats as you have never seen them before. Almost a little horror GN.

Couldn't be more excited for this. There are preview pages on Francavillas Twitter but I don't know if it's OK to post them. They have been making the issues longer to make up for the long ass delay.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the Ultimates side of things for me.

I am wanting to go through the main run so to speak of the Ultimates line, i.e the Ultimates/Avengers... not really looking for specifics like Spider-Man, X-Men etc. This is the list i've come up with

Ultimates
Ultimates 2
Ultimates 3
Ultimatum
Ultimate Comics: Doomsday
Ultimate Comics: Avengers (Omnibus)
Ultimate Comics: New Ultimates
Ultimate Comics: Ultimates (Hickman's)

I already own Ultimates and Ultimates 2, and the Ultimate Comics Avengers Omnibus. Am I on the right track as far as chronology and getting the main points of the story?

I'm going to be moving within the next few months and the thought of having to pack all of my books is killing me.

why did I buy all of these

frye

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the Ultimates side of things for me.

I am wanting to go through the main run so to speak of the Ultimates line, i.e the Ultimates/Avengers... not really looking for specifics like Spider-Man, X-Men etc. This is the list i've come up with

Ultimates
Ultimates 2

lemme stop you right there my man, stop and do not proceed

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Ultimates
Ultimates 2
Ultimates 3
Ultimatum
Ultimate Comics: Doomsday
Ultimate Comics: Avengers (Omnibus)
Ultimate Comics: New Ultimates
Ultimate Comics: Ultimates (Hickman's)

I already own Ultimates and Ultimates 2, and the Ultimate Comics Avengers Omnibus. Am I on the right track as far as chronology and getting the main points of the story?
Doomsday and Ultimatum are Events, not part of the Ultimates Storyline.

Foofaraw

I'm going to be moving within the next few months and the thought of having to pack all of my books is killing me.

why did I buy all of these

I know this pain. This is why I occasionally cull the collection and sell a bunch of books at a huge discount here. If it isn't a top tier favorite, it goes to some other person's collection. The bigger secret is using small boxes. More trips to and from your truck/moving device, but your back will thank you.

Shoutout to anyone else not giving a poop that No Man's Sky is out.

It looks ok. I'd like to try it when the price drops/PS+ gets it in a year.

Top Bottom