• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

mreddie

DC cancellations since Rebirth: 2/30
Marvel cancellations since NOW 2.0: 18/28

Maybe 26 or 27 but I counted The Crew over the "minis"

Vibranium

Banned
Happy birthday guys!

I finished Bucky Thunderbolts, and it got better near the end. Songbird is life. Please have her make her MCU debut with Thunderbolts in the movies, not "it's all connected" TV.

Vic_Viper

Anyone here pick up Elsewhere or Mech Cadet Yu? How are they? Both seem really intriguing but I havent heard anything since theyve been released.

Anyone here pick up Elsewhere or Mech Cadet Yu? How are they? Both seem really intriguing but I havent heard anything since theyve been released.

Mech Cadet Yu is... well, it's an argument for double-sized #1s :p The whole thing is set up. The premise isn't really all that intriguing, and none of the characters really grabbed me, but I'm willing to give it another couple issues, but it really should've made some effort to hit the ground running.

Vic_Viper

Mech Cadet Yu is... well, it's an argument for double-sized #1s :p The whole thing is set up. The premise isn't really all that intriguing, and none of the characters really grabbed me, but I'm willing to give it another couple issues, but it really should've made some effort to hit the ground running.

Thats a bummer. The first issue for a new series should really do more to sell you on the series. Do we know if its an on-going or a limited series? Might just wait till the first trade.

Malyse

Darth Vader: That was a shockingly abrupt ending. I thought this was a five issue story, but apparently it's going to run much longer. No complaints, I like Vader.

Deathstroke: Jesus, Slade. Really? REALLY? Slade is the most incorrigible jerks in comics. I hope this team lasts a good long time.

Generations The Strongest: Hoo boy I am fucking in for this series of this if what we're in for. I generally dgaf about Hulk but this was a fun story and I'm pretty interested in seeing how this goes. Main issue is the timey wimey ball and ramifications of why doesn't OG remember when Legacy visited them, but I'm at least in on the concept.

Giant Days: Wait, Esther is smart? Considering that we went 20+ issues without showing any college classes, having the book suddenly be all about college classes was a bit of a whiplash. I like it but I seem to recall GD being more self contained than this.

Harley Quinn & Batman: Petty Harley is best Harley. Or "I love Ivy" Harley is best Harley. Either way, this is best Harley. I liked this a lot for something I forgot was happening.

Walking Dead 170...
kind of a snoozefest

How could an empty city not have a human population. Makes no sense. So that was a dumb assumption and there are probably going to be people.

This is the same group that almost gets devoured in the middle of the night for all sorts of dumb reasons, after all

Malyse

Hawkeye: I regret few things in my life and reading this comic is one of them. Not because it's not good: actually it's excellent. But I wish I wanted on a trade or was behind because I want the next issue NOW. Kelly Thompson is by far one of the most underrated writers around right now.

Injustice 2: Plastic Man is so good! Why is Plastic Mam so good? Has Plastic Man always been good? Am I missing out? What should I read Plastic Man wise?

Iron Fist: I wish Netflix was this good. Alternatively, I wish Netflix was Shang Chi. I'm still on team kill Danny, but if Defenders can bring him up to the level of this Iron Fist, then he can stay. Pei would have been a better show though.

Jessica Jones: I wish Maria Hill was in the MCU more because this comic was great. I'm surprised that JJ hasn't been taken over by Secret Empire like every else has. I wonder if Bendis just didn't want to play along tie in wise, cause I don't think any of his ongoings are doing much.

Shade the Changing Girl:
xtZfbX9.jpg

Sounds like something I should wait for the trade then.

Injustice 2: Plastic Man is so good! Why is Plastic Mam so good? Has Plastic Man always been good? Am I missing out? What should I read Plastic Man wise?

Everyone knows Plastic Man is DC's best character.

Read Jack Cole Plastic Man. Golden age but feels rather contemporary, especially on the art front. Via free scans online (public domain) or by buying the masterworks HCs.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=446

Also read Kyle Baker's Plastic Man. Another great run.

https://www.comixology.com/Plastic-Man-2003-2006/comics-series/46366

He also has a fun role in Morrison's JLA.

Also buy Lego Plastic Man just because.

Zackat

Have any of you guys seen Valerian? I know it's supposedly not that great but I love sci-fi.

The set-pieces and world building are great. There were quite a few memorable characters that were quirky enough that I really believe this movie is going to be a cult classic. However, to say there is zero chemistry between the two leads would be generous. DeHaan didn't sell me at all. Everyone else did an okay to great job in the movie though.

Matinee imo

mreddie

GOTG was a good and fucked up Drax solo, perfect way to explain Zen Drax

Avengers, Waid's run is gonna go down as a mixed bag and Del Mundo has somehow worked better with the last 2 issues than the Kang War.

Wanderer5

For $6 and actually getting good quality images, it's a way better service than MU in my eyes.

My time with MU had a lot of buffering, and needing to re-download issues a couple times for offline lol. I wanted to wrap up Superior Spider-Man, but I was just too annoyed, and don't think I would come back for now.

(26 here since people were giving age :p)

Sandfox

GOTG was a good and fucked up Drax solo, perfect way to explain Zen Drax

Avengers, Waid's run is gonna go down as a mixed bag and Del Mundo has somehow worked better with the last 2 issues than the Kang War.
Typically it takes creators time to find their grove, but a lot of books switch teams around every arc for various reasons these days.

Aizo

Banned
Just read Vol. 2 of TEC Rebirth. Damn. This is such a good Batman comic, and I love having the whole family there. The dynamic is a lot more interesting than I ever thought it'd be. I miss Tim, though. The flashback scene showing him and Batman talking was very well written and hopeful.

mreddie

Typically it takes creators time to find their grove, but a lot of books switch teams around every arc for various reasons these days.

Kang War felt a bit too long which I think the Kang stuff from ANADAvengers and Uncanny Inhumans hurt it.

Meanwhile, Nnedi Okorafor, Hugo and Nebula Award-winning author spilled the beans she's doing something for Marvel.

https://twitter.com/Nnedi/status/892733597555339266

Only MizTee Franklin (Bingo Love) let loose Marvel is only hiring accomplished writers and not letting those who want to actually work for them do anything. Claiming they brushed their first black female writer (Nilah Magruder) under the rug over Roxanne Gay.

MG310

Anyone order any NYCC commissions yet? I've been slacking.

Saw Yanick Paquette and Babs Tarr opened their lists up. Might get one of the 9x12 's from Yanick this time.

Aizo

Banned
I loved TEC #950. It got quite an emotional reaction out of me. The team dynamic, everyone's internal struggle, the reason they all fight, the villains that push their personal struggles to the limits... they're all balanced so well.

My biggest complaint about King's Batman is that nobody really emotes realistically. Everyone speaks in vague, layered speech, which is interesting but ultimately hard to relate to. It feels quite cold. I like the book, but I think TEC is more the kind of Batman story I like.

Another thing I love about TEC is how it's building all these stories at the same time. There are still many mysteries that have yet to unfold which are exciting, but how it's built up hype for Metal, where Batman's "army" will have to defend Gotham without him, who the first victim is, what Papa Kane is really up to, the AI in Azrael's suit, Cassandra's attempt to connect with people, Spoiler's path towards being the sort of hero she believes is right and how that clashes with all those who care about her, what happened to Tim Drake... it's exciting! It's a really fun book with a lot of heart, and I really care about all the characters, which honestly isn't very common for me despite how much of a sap I am.

Top Bottom