• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Simone's Batgirl is rough. In an emotional sense. I'm genuinely uncomfortable reading this at points. I keep thinking, "this is the Secret Six writer," just to remind myself of the dissonance.

Dalek

What the hell was with this issue of Spider-Man (Miles)? Total Bendis garbage. What the hell. Pointless.

Jessica Jones on the other hand-really good.

Huh. So what's this about Punisher MAX Complete Collection vol.6 coming out next week? I thought 5 was the last one for some reason.

Simone's Batgirl is rough. In an emotional sense. I'm genuinely uncomfortable reading this at points. I keep thinking, "this is the Secret Six writer," just to remind myself of the dissonance.

It was definitely much more grimdark than I was expecting out of Simone. Especially that Knightfall arc.

It was definitely much more grimdark than I was expecting out of Simone. Especially that Knightfall arc.
Just started that arc.

Also disliking Dinah's New 52 duds.
Code:
[img]https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/13/139525/2831609-birds_of_prey_016_011.jpg[/img]

Generic ass battle armor or whatever.

Just started that arc.

Also disliking Dinah's New 52 duds.
Code:
[img]https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/13/139525/2831609-birds_of_prey_016_011.jpg[/img]

Generic ass battle armor or whatever.
Thank god for DCYou and her solo giving her better clothes.

Kang War felt a bit too long which I think the Kang stuff from ANADAvengers and Uncanny Inhumans hurt it.

Meanwhile, Nnedi Okorafor, Hugo and Nebula Award-winning author spilled the beans she's doing something for Marvel.

https://twitter.com/Nnedi/status/892733597555339266

Only MizTee Franklin (Bingo Love) let loose Marvel is only hiring accomplished writers and not letting those who want to actually work for them do anything. Claiming they brushed their first black female writer (Nilah Magruder) under the rug over Roxanne Gay.
So another 5 issue mini they won't say is a mini.

From Busiek:
Ho ho ho ho. I just seen the cover to BATMAN: CREATURE OF THE NIGHT #1 by @johnpaulleon - and gotcha, baby, it’s great!

And yes, that’s redundant, but you’re gonna like it.

Ross61

Milestone should just sell to DC. They have no infastructure or even a game plan. Let someone who's shown that they are well equip recently at handling imprints and be done with it.

Sandfox

Milestone should just sell to DC. They have no infastructure or even a game plan. Let someone who's shown that they are well equip recently at handling imprints and be done with it.
DC doesn't really get anything of value out of that and I doubt the Milestone people want to hand their stuff over to DC.

Ross61

DC doesn't really get anything of value out of that and I doubt the Milestone people want to hand their stuff over to DC.
DC gets the rights to Milestones properties that people have been craving for. You know how profitable Static would be in this day and age launched properly? Or how many people want to get reprints of old Milestone comics?

From the sounds of the Milestone news the other day, they might not even have the rights to sell, given they are alleged to have tried to dupe the McDuffie estate out of their part in the first place?

Ross61

From the sounds of the Milestone news the other day, they might not even have the rights to sell, given they are alleged to have tried to dupe the McDuffie estate out of their part in the first place?
I'm talking about when this whole ordeal is done. I don't trust Milestone with Hudson involved. That man's a snake.

Sandfox

DC gets the rights to Milestones properties that people have been craving for. You know how profitable Static would be in this day and age launched properly? Or how many people want to get reprints of old Milestone comics?
Why would the founders sell in that case lol.

I'm not as confident in the popularity of Static and question whether people would even recognize the other properties, but I have no problem with being wrong in this case.

Ross61

Why would the founders sell in that case lol.

I'm not as confident in the popularity of Static and question whether people would even recognize the other properties, but I have no problem with being wrong in this case.
Because they can't get their shit together.

Happy belated birthday Freeza. I join the birthday club myself at the end of the month, ripe old age of 32 this time, geez were does the time go. In my head feel like I'm still in my mid 20,s or something.

Catching up on last weeks Saga and I think over recent issues the big questions has to be raised,..................who's the greatest Petri or Ghus? There only one right answer and its probably not the one you think ;)

Two of the Fabok covers for the evil Knights one-shots:
ldj8s.jpg

s7k1v.jpg

Two of the Fabok covers for the evil Knights one-shots:

Oh dear, I'm starting to get bad all star batman vibes of every gadget and item batman has being bat themed again. We've got awful bat tank here, theyve already shown batman with a bat shaped head torch in another bit of preview art. Someone needs to tell Snyder the joke only stretches so far.

Oh dear, I'm starting to get bad all star batman vibes of every gadget and item batman has being bat themed again. We've got awful bat tank here, theyve already shown batman with a bat shaped head torch in another bit of preview art. Someone needs to tell Snyder the joke only stretches so far.

Hey, if you were Batman and started focusing on mechs while turning evil you would also incorporate bats into them ;P

Hey, if you were Batman and started focusing on mechs while turning evil you would also incorporate bats into them ;P

Nah I'd probably try and make a tank in the shape of a hand throwing up the two finger rock symbol ;)

Ha it seems from the picture the tank also needs a gun for it that shoots sugar cubes.

Messi

Anyone order any NYCC commissions yet? I've been slacking.

Saw Yanick Paquette and Babs Tarr opened their lists up. Might get one of the 9x12 's from Yanick this time.

Yeah I have 3 done so far.

Babs priced me out at 400$

Mech Cadet Yu was a little cliche but I really liked the look and feel of it. Anyone know if this is an ongoing or some type of mini? I'm getting burned out on picking up books and finding out later they're short runs.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Vader #4 was really good, liking this whole run way more than the last one. I guess this is what happens when you get a good artist.

Mech Cadet Yu was a little cliche but I really liked the look and feel of it. Anyone know if this is an ongoing or some type of mini? I'm getting burned out on picking up books and finding out later they're short runs.

Not sure but based on solicits, it seems like it'll run through #4. You're right, a little predictable but tons of moments that really set it apart.

So I read THE DIVINE by BOAZ LAVIE, TOMER and ASAF HANUKA

It's a book I bought about 3 years ago and kept on holding off on reading, but I picked it up and dug into it. If you're not familiar with Hanuka brothers, you should. They're really highly regarded as illustrators. They're not super prolific in comics; I imagine because theres a lot of demand for their working more lucrative parts of illustration.

The story revolves about a guy going over to Quanlum, a made up country to stand in for Mneymar, aka Burma. He's doing some contracted work helping to design tunnels so America can mine the countries natural resources. He ends up helping a kid who had been hurt by a landmine and comes across the child army that's the stand in for the famous "God's Army."

I don't know much about Lavie. Seems to be a good writer overall. He uses page breaks to good affect and knows how to build up tension and impending dread with a series of nightmares that make the best of the Hanuka brothers' abilities.

Otherwise, it feels a lot like the creators decided they wanted to add mysticism and myth to a mirrored version of a real world tragedy and hope that the weight of that tragedy can carry the book. It's not something I'm a fan of. I wish it had a different direction than something I feel like I've seen a dozen times.

It feels a little exploitive because it doesn't seem to do the journalistic legwork necessary to give this the weight it needs to land. :01 Second isn't a big comics publisher, so I thought maybe that was the reason I hadn't heard much about this book. But maybe its because it's actually not all that well written. I could go into more detail about what I didn't like about the writing and direction but lets talk about what is *amazing* in this book.

And that's the artwork. I just want to post some of the interior pages, the speak for themselves.

I do think it's a little odd how the cover gallery had some better covers than the one they ultimately went with.

Bii

Anyone order any NYCC commissions yet? I've been slacking.

Saw Yanick Paquette and Babs Tarr opened their lists up. Might get one of the 9x12 's from Yanick this time.

Still kicking myself for not getting a sketch from Yanick Paquette. He was here at one of my local cons a few years back and he was only charging half of what he charges now.

Malyse

Spider-Man: I think I like where this is going except
poor Lana.
Plus I think it lines up well with what's happening in Spider-Men 2.
If Miles does quit being Spider-Man, that would be sad on the one hand, but hilariously petty on Marvel's part since Sony has a Miles movie in the works.

Spider-Man/Deadpool: Even though I'm enjoying this, I'm really looking forward to the end of Secret Empire because Spider-Man vs. Deadpool seems much more interesting a concept.

Superman: The American history lesson continues. TIL that a Yankee Doodle Dandy is a person born on July 4th. Also, Superman was cool as hell here. I wish that the DCEU could show character moments like this, but they have to focus on the bigger stuff. Mores the pity.

The Unstoppable Wasp: I'm going to miss the fuck out of this book. It's hugely underrated and I hope it does well enough in trades that Marvel takes notice. Actually, I would really dig a Mockingbird and The Wasp book. Revive two books that died before their time. Moon Girl is the closest we have to a science hero ATM and it's a really underrated niche.

Tomboy: Today is a day for tears! What a book. What an ending. Mia Goodwin is a fantastic talent and I want her to make more comics. I wish there were more issues to look forward to.

Tomboy > Rachel Rising. If that doesn't sell you on the series, nothing will.

X-Men Gold: I legit don't know why I'm still reading this. It's not actually bad, it's nothing. Like, you could ask me what the overarching plot of this series is and I'd be completely nonplussed. It's just a sort of "there" comic that they can't cancel.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wish Matt Fraction was doing something besides Sex Criminals since I read the first volume and it didn't really grab.

I wish Matt Fraction was doing something besides Sex Criminals since I read the first volume and it didn't really grab.
Well he just released a graphic novel called Solid State last week that was great. Not sure if Casanova is still ongoing but that's good too from what I read.

Top Bottom