• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Mr. Miracle concept sketch:
dgpghy7v0ae94cbats68.jpg

ThinkGeek has a big sale.

INTERVIEW: Castellucci and Zarcone reveal the Gaiman character they want SHADE, THE CHANGING GIRL to meet

Vic_Viper

What are the best recent releases from DC involving the New Gods? Especially Metron and Mister Miracle? Ive read Final Crisis and Darkseid War, really liked both of them but I was wondering if there was anything else released around the same time I should check out? Anything during or right before New 52? Anything written by Johns or Morrison?

What was Grant Morrison's take on Orion? I know he appeared in his JLA run and was murdered in Final Crisis.
He hasn't really gone too in depth in what I've read so far. Mostly a really angry guy who is very passionate. But it's also a team comic with rotating members so none of the characterization is very deep.
What are the best recent releases from DC involving the New Gods? Especially Metron and Mister Miracle? Ive read Final Crisis and Darkseid War, really liked both of them but I was wondering if there was anything else released around the same time I should check out? Anything during or right before New 52? Anything written by Johns or Morrison?
Seven Soldiers of Victory has Mister Miracle and Darkseid and is really good.

JLA by Morrison has Orion and Barda as team members and there's a really fun Darkseid arc. It's a great team book.

They're not super recent but they're still pretty modern. JLA is one of the best modern team comics.

VanWinkle

Depends on your definition of recent, but Orion by Walter Simonson (2000-2002) was great.

I'm not personally interested in any of the upcoming New Gods stuff, as I have yet to read Kirby's New Gods. I don't want to read other people's takes on the characters before I've read them the way they were originally written.

It's clever but on a knife edge between engaging and draining.

This described my experience reading EoW. I was really drawn to all the characters and creatures but it felt so much like everyone was a moving piece. I'm someone who is really all about characters over world or plot, so I think Hickman might always be a challenge for me.

Vic_Viper

Seven Soldiers of Victory has Mister Miracle and Darkseid and is really good.

JLA by Morrison has Orion and Barda as team members and there's a really fun Darkseid arc. It's a great team book.

They're not super recent but they're still pretty modern. JLA is one of the best modern team comics.

Yeah I still need to finish JLA but I loved what ive read so far, especially Rock of Ages.

Still havent read Seven Soldiers but ive been meaning too for a long time.

Thanks for the recommendations. I was hoping there would have been something else from either Morrison or Johns, but I guess thats pretty much it from what I could find searching.

Had Metron been used anywhere recently? Aside from Final Crisis and Darkseid War, I dont think ive read much at all with him in it but he seems like a really cool character. Shame Morrison didnt get to play more with the New Gods. I really liked how Johns turned Mister Miracles story into a heist style story. Cant wait to see King's version.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Been catching up on all my comics lately, reading arcs I haven't started yet etc, so nice to see this week is quiet for me

Detective Comics #962
Justice League Power Rangers #5 (Of 6)
Mister Miracle #1
Suicide Squad #23

All-New Wolverine #23
Amazing Spider-Man #31
Captain America #25
Defenders #4
Secret Empire #8

Messi

Pleasant surprise, got the reborn hc in the mail and it's oversized.

I bought that today. The Jock cover.

I bought

Harley's Little Black Book HC
Lady Mechanika Vol 1-3
God Country - Big Bang Edition
By Chance and Providence - Big Bang Edition
Slam Vol 1
Reborn HC

I bought that today. The Jock cover.

I bought

Harley's Little Black Book HC
Lady Mechanika Vol 1-3
God Country - Big Bang Edition
By Chance and Providence - Big Bang Edition
Slam Vol 1
Reborn HC
I also got God Country today. Fairly fast travel here to Stockholm.

ElNarez

Banned
Yeah it feels like he's kind of missing the point. It's not like Kirby made Orion's internal struggles some grand secret either. They straight up tell you in New Gods lol

To be fair, it's a take on Orion as seen through the lens of Mister Miracle. Like, yeah, obviously, the constant struggle to be our better selves is the core of Orion's story, but that's just Orion's story, and if you look at it from another angle, it's kinda piss compared to Miracle's struggle to escape a system and a society that has been designed from the ground-up to crush your individual will until you're subservient to its ruling power in both mind and body.

Like, obviously, the ultimate point is that, of course, Scot escapes, and, of course, through love he manages to take someone with him, meaning that Darkseid's defeat is that much bigger. It is still incredibly fucked up to send your child to something that's literally called "The Terror Orphanage".

VanWinkle

Man, I'm so behind on Marvel omnis. I have been needing to pick up Daredevil by Brubaker Vol. 1 and 2, Legion, and Journey Into Mystery, and I haven't got any of them yet.

Daredevil has been because the price per page value is just kind of crappy. The first volume is 600 pages at $100 and the second volume is 470 pages at $75. There are plenty of books I want with that page count and much cheaper, so it's hard to buy those.

tim1138

DC needs to green light a Granny and the Furies miniseries, the rest of the comics reading audience needs to understand the greatness that is Bernadeth and Stompa. While great, Lashina gets too much play.

VanWinkle

DC needs to green light a Granny and the Furies miniseries, the rest of the comics reading audience needs to understand the greatness that is Bernadeth and Stompa. While great, Lashina gets too much play.

I read something with Stompa in the past week or so but I can't remember what it was. I read so much over the last week.

Edit: oooh it was Suicide Squad by Ostrander Vol. 1. Man that was driving me crazy.

Top Bottom