• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Hi everyone, it's been a while I haven't posted in here (guess not many people will remember me, I've never poster *that* much in comics threads anyway).

I've been on a fourth world binge reading in anticipation of King's Mister Miracle and basically I've read the stuff from Kirby and from Morrison and that's pretty much it.

I know Simonson's Orion is supposed to be good but what else is there ? Especially wondering about the most recent stuff, haven't been up to date on my New52/Rebirth stuff on that front.

VanWinkle

Hi everyone, it's been a while I haven't posted in here (guess not many people will remember me, I've never poster *that* much in comics threads anyway).

I've been on a fourth world binge reading in anticipation of King's Mister Miracle and basically I've read the stuff from Kirby and from Morrison and that's pretty much it.

I know Simonson's Orion is supposed to be good but what else is there ? Especially wondering about the most recent stuff, haven't been up to date on my New52/Rebirth stuff on that front.

I know you're asking for stuff OTHER than Orion, but please don't forget to read it.

Check out this Simonson art.

2dy4ubA.jpg

AU0THhH.jpg

Glix

So I've been re-reading two events that came out around the same time. And they suffer, BADLY, from the same problem.

Blackest Night

and

Secret Invasion

Both events start out so fucking strong. SO STRONG.

And then I guess... because its Marvel/DC and they can't upset the status quo too much unless they are about to do a universe reset... Both events ended SO weakly.

Note - Nekron is so so so fucking lame.

Glix

I know you're asking for stuff OTHER than Orion, but please don't forget to read it.

Check out this Simonson art.

2dy4ubA.jpg

AU0THhH.jpg

That is some legit awesome crackle.

I think it looks like ass when they add color (see Final Crisis). LOVE the b&w crackle.

So I've been re-reading two events that came out around the same time. And they suffer, BADLY, from the same problem.

Blackest Night

and

Secret Invasion

Both events start out so fucking strong. SO STRONG.

And then I guess... because its Marvel/DC and they can't upset the status quo too much unless they are about to do a universe reset... Both events ended SO weakly.

Note - Nekron is so so so fucking lame.
Secret Invasion leads into Dark Regin and that had an impact.

Glix

That is not wimping out on something, that is a giving the reader something to fear about the heroes.

Fair.

I guess what I am trying to say is that in the first issue of both the enemy is so fucking badass.

Black lanterns just fucking slaughtering superheroes.

But I felt both events ended with a whimper.

While its cool both led to somewhat decent storylines/universe shake ups, judging the events on their own i think they both started strong and declined badly as they went on.

On a side note... the lead in to both events (in green latern and new avengers/others) was better than the events themselves.

Fair.

I guess what I am trying to say is that in the first issue of both the enemy is so fucking badass.

Black lanterns just fucking slaughtering superheroes.

But I felt both events ended with a whimper.

While its cool both led to somewhat decent storylines/universe shake ups, judging the events on their own i think they both started strong and declined badly as they went on.

On a side note... the lead in to both events (in green latern and new avengers/others) was better than the events themselves.

What made it a whimper ending in your eyes then? The ending felt fine for both events. Blackest Night was step one in bringing back superheroes that lead into Brightest Day.

Does this do the source material justice?

Ehhhhhhhhhhh

Not really. They had to cut a bunch of stuff, both for time and because of the age of the intended audience. I don't think the John Henry story is in it at all, for instance, which is a damn shame since it's probably one of the best parts.

VanWinkle

Does this do the source material justice?

I've heard great things. I've had the blu-ray for a long time but still haven't watched it. I guess I'm just afraid to, since The New Frontier is my favorite comic story, and it couldn't possibly live up to it.

Glix

What made it a whimper ending in your eyes then? The ending felt fine for both events. Blackest Night was step one in bringing back superheroes that lead into Brightest Day.

12 Magic rings coming to negate deaths.

Black Lantern JLA not doing much, when even characters with low powers were fucking shit up as Black Lanterns.

I mean, the event started with the Guardians being taken out like they were annoying gnats. The GUARDIANS.

I dunno. I'm not saying the whole thing was garbage, it certainly was not, and the art was gorgeous. I'm just saying I left underwhelmed.

I've heard great things. I've had the blu-ray for a long time but still haven't watched it. I guess I'm just afraid to, since The New Frontier is my favorite comic story, and it couldn't possibly live up to it.

My exact concern.

12 Magic rings coming to negate deaths.

Black Lantern JLA not doing much, when even characters with low powers were fucking shit up as Black Lanterns.

I mean, the event started with the Guardians being taken out like they were annoying gnats. The GUARDIANS.

I dunno. I'm not saying the whole thing was garbage, it certainly was not, and the art was gorgeous. I'm just saying I left underwhelmed.

That is a fair criticism.

Owzers

I'm leaning towards not justifying JiM omnibus because I can read it on MU and I don't remember exactly how much I liked it just that I did. I'll be buying the next hellboy library and east of west vol 1 and 2 hc eventually too...but I still want it.

I have a feeling it will go oop.

VanWinkle

I'm leaning towards not justifying JiM omnibus because I can read it on MU and I don't remember exactly how much I liked it just that I did. I'll be buying the next hellboy library and east of west vol 1 and 2 hc eventually too...but I still want it.

I have a feeling it will go oop.

Yup, I get that feeling, too.

Matchew

Where do you guys buy your physical comics online? Really looking to buy some of the 90s X-MEN comics.

Also, are the Star Wars comics any good?

VanWinkle

Also, are the Star Wars comics any good?

Oh yeah. Anything that's been released in oversized hardcover so far (at least that I've read, or that I've heard about) is very good.

Doesn't have to be singles...I'll check out that website thanks.

If you live in the US, then InStockTrades is the ONLY place you should shop for collected editions. Best deals and best packaging easily.

www.instocktrades.com

Top Bottom