• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

I mean I have been following the Mister Miracle discussion all day and I am fairly certain not one person has complained about that

Maybe if you had a completely different take on Tim's comments, I guess (I don't think that is what he was saying at all, personally), but that's still just one person

Mr. Miracle didn't feel like a "downer" book to me, fwiw. In spite of the contents, rather than because of them, certainly. There's heavy stuff going on, but it's not... like, existentially sad, in the way really depressing literature is.

VanWinkle

Going to try and hold off on Mister Miracle until it's finished. I have just found that mini/maxiseries always read better all together.

... So does this Mister Miracle series occur out of continuity? Is it a standalone thing?

I really liked the first issue. Totally didn't expect how heavy it was going to be though.

... So does this Mister Miracle series occur out of continuity? Is it a standalone thing?

I really liked the first issue. Totally didn't expect how heavy it was going to be though.

It is in continuity. There's some expectation that it'll lead into other things, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see on that count.

It is in continuity. There's some expectation that it'll lead into other things, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see on that count.
So does this occur in the distant future then? I mean Darkseid War ended with Barda going back to Apokalips for a reason I totally forgot about, and Scott remaining on Earth.

And ain't Darkseid still supposed to be a baby with... Grail I think her name was?

Messi

So does this occur in the distant future then? I mean Darkseid War ended with Barda going back to Apokalips for a reason I totally forgot about, and Scott remaining on Earth.

And ain't Darkseid still supposed to be a baby with... Grail I think her name was?

Grail was her name

VanWinkle

Grail is Darkseid's baby, yes. He got busy with an Amazon.

Man, I can't wait for the Darkseid War omnibus. Loved that story.

I'm really looking forward to reading it. I still need to get the last pre-Darkseid War JL volume. Man, what a disappointing series JL was until Forever Evil.

error4041

Secret Warriors set up some interesting things with today's issue.

Karnak is just as much of a dick at being a
Father
has he is at other aspects of life.

As suggested by the solicits, Daisy will be going to some dark places in the next couple of issues.

More people should be reading the book, it's a fun road-trip action movie that finds the humor in the interactions that the characters have.

DG1WKC7U0AAvwv6.jpg:large

VanWinkle

That was a fun video. Thanks for posting bro.

Sheriff of Babylon HC is up on Amazon UK. Out in March 280 pages. Perfect length for that book imo. Any extra content like maybe 20 more pages would be too many.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1401277918/

I'm going to have to slightly disagree with you on optimal page count. I think 384 pages is perfect. But 280 is still good.

Messi

That was a fun video. Thanks for posting bro.

I'm going to have to slightly disagree with you on optimal page count. I think 384 pages is perfect. But 280 is still good.

What makes you say that? I find the extra even 20 pages throws off the balance while reading. I can't imagine another 100 pages would help that. I don't like strained binding. Plus my wrists get tired.

VanWinkle

What makes you say that? I find the extra even 20 pages throws off the balance while reading. I can't imagine another 100 pages would help that. I don't like strained binding.

As you know, I read a lot of OHCs. I was recently reading Daredevil by Waid Vol. 3, which was 384 pages, and it just felt perfect to me. It wasn't heavy, but I still had a lot of great content to get through. Sometimes I feel like those 280 page OHCs go by too fast.

Messi

As you know, I read a lot of OHCs. I was recently reading Daredevil by Waid Vol. 3, which was 384 pages, and it just felt perfect to me. It wasn't heavy, but I still had a lot of great content to get through. Sometimes I feel like those 280 page OHCs go by too fast.

Do you find the materials DC use are cheaper than say image? Not as much care maybe.

Aizo

Banned
I mean I have been following the Mister Miracle discussion all day and I am fairly certain not one person has complained about that

Maybe if you had a completely different take on Tim's comments, I guess (I don't think that is what he was saying at all, personally), but that's still just one person
I suppose I did just lump all the comments together that ranged from "I wanted a more upbeat comic," "it's a downer," "this isn't Kirby's Mister Miracle," "it's subverting something bright," or talking about the major tone shift as complaints.

I think at least one of the above is a complaint about it being too dark, though. This reminded me of other times I've seen in discussion here complaints that something wasn't fun and was too dark, so I genuinely wondered if there are people that just like campy, silly, more Golden Age style and don't really like anything with a serious, somber tone.

VanWinkle

Do you find the materials DC use are cheaper than say image? Not as much care maybe.

Image's deluxe editions are nicer than DC's (and Marvel's), BUT the only bad thing about Image's are the bindings are pretty inconsistent. They're pretty tight sometimes, moreso than DC and Marvel, or even occasionally glued. Their cover boards and paper quality are great, though.

DC has really improved lately. Their OHC bindings are better than Marvel's OHC bindings, which is pretty crazy.

Aizo

Banned

It is currently unclear what's going on exactly.
It's possible that it's
another universe, Scott is dead, Scott is suffering from the anti life equation, or anything else you can hypothesize.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It was already been revealed that he's returning to the Daily Bugle and will be doing something new there. This has lead to speculation that he will either be in charge or take over Robbie's old job.

I would love this so much.

As much as people pair up Spider-man and Deadpool, I'll always find it funny that Peter hates waid.

Someone needs to write a joke in Spider-Man/Deadpool where Peter realizes that this is how his villains must feel like when having bussiness with Spider-Man.

Dalek

While I still pretty much detest Secret Empire, I must admit to have got all hyped up at Sam's speech. Finally some positive movement.

so how did he survive the shot? The cosmic cube fragment? Did he use that as the wish instead of breaking the Darkforce barrier?

PsychBat!

Banned
Fucking Finally.

People on the Facebook side of Spider-Man Crawlspace complain, that
Spider-Man cant have Character progression and stay the bad Tony Stark Ripoff forever.
Welcome to Comics! The Status Quo will always come back for AAA properties like Spider-Man, Batman, etc.
The question is when.

image.php

I would love to talk more about what I am currently reading but it would be mostly a monologue and I dont want to annoy you.
Also I am tired as fuck and already think that I made a bad mistake in deciding to watch Akira due the tiredness.

Dude, I've written up multi-paragraph reviews of books I read that I know not a soul commented on or probably read. Like, no one read this, but I fucking typed that shit up.

Boy did I type it up.

Share the thoughts, bruh. Share them

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Spoiled myself a bit regarding Mister Miracle by reading previews but the premise makes it seems like it's using the same trick as
Morrison's Mister Miracle series
. I'll read it tomorow anyway.

Quick question : How was Geoff Johns' Darkseid War?

Quick question : How was Geoff Johns' Darkseid War?

Really enjoyable. Like a 7.5/10. It helps that Diana wasn't being written horribly anymore.

I'm giving New Superman a 7/10. The twist at the end of volume 1 has me really interested in future issues.

Backstagers is also pretty adorable so far.

Reading X-Men Supernovas just makes me angry House of M ever happened. Fuck Joe Quesada and his 'too many mutants' bullshit.

Really enjoyable. Like a 7.5/10. It helps that Diana wasn't being written horribly anymore.

I'm giving New Superman a 7/10. The twist at the end of volume 1 has me really interested in future issues.

Backstagers is also pretty adorable so far.

Reading X-Men Supernovas just makes me angry House of M ever happened. Fuck Joe Quesada and his 'too many mutants' bullshit.

I read New Superman at the weekend and was super impressed by it.

Yeah I'd go with intrigued for Mr Miracle, I quite enjoyed it but feel like its still getting things going yet. Also I get the thematic thing with the Darkseid Is, but did it really need be in as much as it was, seemed like about a third of the comic was wasted on it. Could have probably achieved the same effect with it just in a few panels in there. Will stick with it to see where its going though.

For the story I'd say my early guesses are
either he's on the verge of death and in some kind of purgatory that he will have to escape from, so he would actually be escaping death as the greatest escape. Or its some kind of prison, whether mental or simulation or something. I don't know if I'd say the suicide attempt was done through depression, but almost through boredom, as an escape artist he's escaped everything else, the only thing left to escape from is the greatest challenge of all, death.

Garryk

So Mr. Miracle is pretty fascinating on a second read-through.

There's probably something to the Darkseid panel positioning on each page but I don't want to go that tinfoil hat. But I thought it was interesting that the only pages that didn't have the Darkseid panels were when he was talking to Highfather and when they were getting ready to leave at the end (also where Barda's eyes are blue again!) So the other pages must be either a dream or alternate reality.

Also there are God references all throughout the book especially on the page where he's on the talk show. There's a God or Jesus reference in every panel and Scott Free is on the Godfre (God Free?) show.

And then what's the deal with the pieces of tape? There's one over the kid on the first page and then on Oberon's face when he's retelling the story from the first page.

Very intrigued. Can't wait to see where this is going.

So Mr. Miracle is pretty fascinating on a second read-through.

There's probably something to the Darkseid panel positioning on each page but I don't want to go that tinfoil hat. But I thought it was interesting that the only pages that didn't have the Darkseid panels were when he was talking to Highfather and when they were getting ready to leave at the end (also where Barda's eyes are blue again!) So the other pages must be either a dream or alternate reality.

Also there are God references all throughout the book especially on the page where he's on the talk show. There's a God or Jesus reference in every panel and Scott Free is on the Godfre (God Free?) show.

And then what's the deal with the pieces of tape? There's one over the kid on the first page and then on Oberon's face when he's retelling the story from the first page.

Very intrigued. Can't wait to see where this is going.

The show is
the Godfrey show, he's talking to G. Gordon Godfrey aka Glorious Godfrey, one of the Apokalips gods who masquerades as a human.

Garryk

The show is
the Godfrey show, he's talking to G. Gordon Godfrey aka Glorious Godfrey, one of the Apokalips gods who masquerades as a human.

I figured that's what the full name was, but I found it interesting that they never showed the full name on the desk. I know I'm probably reading too much into it.

I know that insane sale is over, but buying digital Marvel trades on Amazonk is still an amazing steel. Gonna fill in all those sweet sweet Brand New Day Amazing Spider-Man holes.

I know that insane sale is over, but buying digital Marvel trades on Amazonk is still an amazing steel. Gonna fill in all those sweet sweet Brand New Day Amazing Spider-Man holes.

Oh yeah! I wasn't really sure why everyone started freaking out about it when I had bought so much for so little at the beginning of the year.

Top Bottom