• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
That show will be radically different to the book, save for the whole voice of God thing. I'm just along for the ride and I don't want it to suck.

I hope TV series of Preacher great enough so I don't need to read it.

Come at me, didn't like the art.

XmKsnIi.gif

Zombine

Banned
I refuse to be optimistic when AMC hadn't had a good new show in over 5 years. I want it to be good, though...

They're in panic mode. They haven't had a hit in ages (Walking Dead excluded) and they're still looking for their next Mad Men/Breaking Bad. Better Call Saul is promising, but it's not going to post Breaking Bad season 5 pt II numbers. The Walking Dead Spin Off is going to lead to franchise fatigue and will get a season or two at best. AMC didn't just "green light" Preacher; they are damn near riding on the success of the show.

Zombine

Banned
Zombine, did you see my Walking Dead post? This new storyline has my hyped as hell... #135 can't come soon enough.

I did and I thought I commented on it. It's honestly been back to form since the moment the "event" ended and it hasn't let up. Next week is Walking Dead heaven for me; I get my Rick statue and this month's issue.

Waiting for the
complete reboot and slaughter of most of the survivors and the reign of King Carl.

Parch

I got to see Crossed 100 today.
What the hell is wrong with Alan Moore? Is he being quirky eccentric? Or annoyingly weird? He fabricates this ridiculous language and ends up looking like a pathetic old man trying to sound cool.

I thought a Crossed title might be a good outlet for his weirdness, and it ends up being about the stupid dialogue. Terrible.

Isak_Borg

I got to see Crossed 100 today.
What the hell is wrong with Alan Moore? Is he being quirky eccentric? Or annoyingly weird? He fabricates this ridiculous language and ends up looking like a pathetic old man trying to sound cool.

I thought a Crossed title might be a good outlet for his weirdness, and it ends up being about the stupid dialogue. Terrible.

Crossed is basically where folks go to shit out ideas.

I was hanging with Ennis one night and I was like "Why the hell do you do these Avatar books?"

He was just gave me a weird look and moved on to something else.

I was really fucking drunk!

Zombine

Banned
I said it last night and I'll say it again:

Moore missed the mark and he just sounded stupid. With the exception of some slang, our language will not sound that moronic. Skull me that made fuck sense when I read it.

He's no Tolkien that's for sure.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Finally picked up and read ODY-C. Man, hell of a fucking issue. There's a ton to parse there, but I'll say, once you learn to read it, in the almost verse-prose that Fraction and Elioupolos have created, it really starts flowing beautifully, and combined with the super psychedelic and gorgeous imagery, it becomes pretty damn melodic.

This single issue really doesn't linger on any long-winded introductions or meandering, and thrusts you directly into The Odyssey and O's fucked journey home. I think the gender-swapping is pretty brilliant, as they're fucking with not only a simple swap of tits and dongs, but they're completely altering all of the relationships, to some degree, between these classic characters in this classic story. There's something super powerful about the only men shown in the issue being
a scarred gimp and a disregarded god, and then having O reveal that her kid whom she desperately misses, is in fact a boy (one of the only non-gender swapped characters from the original that I noticed).

Also, like Zombine mentioned before (I think), there's an 8-page spread detailing the history of the universe. That's kind of fucking crazy in all of the best possible ways.

Finally picked up and read ODY-C. Man, hell of a fucking issue. There's a ton to parse there, but I'll say, once you learn to read it, in the almost verse-prose that Fraction and Elioupolos have created, it really starts flowing beautifully, and combined with the super psychedelic and gorgeous imagery, it becomes pretty damn melodic.

This single issue really doesn't linger on any long-winded introductions or meandering, and thrusts you directly into The Odyssey and O's fucked journey home. I think the gender-swapping is pretty brilliant, as they're fucking with not only a simple swap of tits and dongs, but they're completely altering all of the relationships, to some degree, between these classic characters in this classic story. There's something super powerful about the only men shown in the issue being
a scarred gimp and a disregarded god, and then having O reveal that her kid whom she desperately misses, is in fact a boy (one of the only non-gender swapped characters from the original that I noticed).

Also, like Zombine mentioned before (I think), there's an 8-page spread detailing the history of the universe. That's kind of fucking crazy in all of the best possible ways.

i'll give it to print, that timeline was the hardest fucking thing i've ever had to read on my iPad mini. Had to put it on a dinner tray and walk around to the side of it so the gyro wouldn't rotate the fuckin page

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Can't turn screen rotation off on iPads?

This thing really had to have been made with print in mind, especially the 8-page image on the back of the timeline.

But seriously, I bet this book looks fucking phenomenal in digital.

i'll give it to print, that timeline was the hardest fucking thing i've ever had to read on my iPad mini. Had to put it on a dinner tray and walk around to the side of it so the gyro wouldn't rotate the fuckin page

That's why I was about to buy the *gulp* print version, but shit was $4. That was a whole extra dollar I was gonna pay for a floppy in 2014. That's just how I feel. Nah, nah, a dollar might fuck ya main bitch, that's just how I feel. Nah, a dollar might say fuck them niggas that you came with that's just how I feel. Nah, nah, a dollar might just make that lane switch that's just how I feel. Nah, a dollar might turn into a million and we all rich that's just how I feel.

fauxtrot

Banned
That's why I was about to buy the *gulp* print version, but shit was $4. That was a whole extra dollar I was gonna pay for a floppy in 2014. That's just how I feel. Nah, nah, a dollar might fuck ya main bitch, that's just how I feel. Nah, a dollar might say fuck them niggas that you came with that's just how I feel. Nah, nah, a dollar might just make that lane switch that's just how I feel. Nah, a dollar might turn into a million and we all rich that's just how I feel.

post-11756-I-Understood-That-Reference-gi-bnSN.gif

tim1138

This thing really had to have been made with print in mind, especially the 8-page image on the back of the timeline.

But seriously, I bet this book looks fucking phenomenal in digital.

Oh yeah, I own it digitally and checked out the spread in a print copy. The initial digital release on comixology actually left it out, they had to release an updated version with the missing content.

best ever

Owzers

Started Harley vol 1 hc now that harley vol 2 hc is in this month's dcbs listing.

I haven't formed much of an opinion yet on the book, I've only read issue 0 and 1 so far. It's a bit corny and not that interesting, but there's potential. The comparison that comes to mind is the Dumber and Dumber prequel Dumb and Dumberer, more sad than funny.

Filthy Slug

Oh yeah, I own it digitally and checked out the spread in a print copy. The initial digital release on comixology actually left it out, they had to release an updated version with the missing content.
Haha, glad they patched Ody-c for digital buyers.

What'd everybody think of Ody-c?

Messi

Started Harley vol 1 hc now that harley vol 2 hc is in this month's dcbs listing.

I haven't formed much of an opinion yet on the book, I've only read issue 0 and 1 so far. It's a bit corny and not that interesting, but there's potential. The comparison that comes to mind is the Dumber and Dumber prequel Dumb and Dumberer, more sad than funny.

If you don't like things being dumb and nonsensical then the book isn't for you.

PsychBat!

Banned
When it comes consoles, I've always gravitated towards Playstation. My PSN id is in my profile...PS3 is what I have and I haven't played anything on it recently.
Isn't your PSN ID on the master list here? *checks* Oh. Guess not. And I have a PS3 and a PSN too. But unlike you who hasn't played it recently, I haven't played it in the last year. I also have it in a storage unit where it belongs.

Messi

Just peeking at some listings on Amazon and I see they are going to keep giving Batgirl the hardcover treatment which is awesome. The art will look awesome in that. Sad to see Gotham Academy is going straight to TPB but it's not entirely surprising. Harley vol 2 only has 4 regular issues and the other issues are 3 of the specials (Futures end, Comi-con and her part in Secret Origins, which was pretty cool actually). Vol 2 of the complete Gotham City Sirens is out at the start of may.

Filthy Slug

I thought it was pretty great, but I think I'm gonna trade wait it. Gotta feeling it'll read better that way. Man, the art is absolutely stunning.

Yeah, and you can tell that the planets that they'll be exploring are going to be incredible. This is also easily the most different I've seen Fraction's writing get, and he has to be busting ass to get these dense scripts to read so well.

Also, I have no clue what this Antistar book by Ales Kot and Christian Ward is, but I'm 100% in.

Isak_Borg

Yeah, and you can tell that the planets that they'll be exploring are going to be incredible. This is also easily the most different I've seen Fraction's writing get, and he has to be busting ass to get these dense scripts to read so well.

Also, I have no clue what this Antistar book by Ales Kot and Christian Ward is, but I'm 100% in.

I'll ask him next time I talk to him .

Messi

Absolutely loved this months Detective Comics. The art was fantastic, love the use of colour and I am a sucker for snowy scenes. I don't know much about Anarchy, other than the Arkham games but he seems mildly interesting. I love how much of a shithead Bullock is to Batman. It's really funny. Last page was pretty awesome.

Filthy Slug

Absolutely loved this months Detective Comics. The art was fantastic, love the use of colour and I am a sucker for snowy scenes. I don't know much about Anarchy, other than the Arkham games but he seems mildly interesting. I love how much of a Shithead Bullock is to Batman. It's really funny. Last page was pretty awesome.

Saw the Cooke variant cover and was like "fucks yeah!"

Saw Manapul and Boochaleto are back on and was like "fuck off."

CBTech

I just read the "Requiem for Damian" trade of Batman and Robin. Oh man those were some good chapters. The dialogue-less chapter of Bruce trying to cope with Damian's death was fantastic and I really enjoyed how we got to see how each member of the bat-family try to help Bruce with his grief. Dick's chapter was probably my favorite. It reminded me of the earlier chapters where Damian was trying to prove he could be Robin by taking a trophy from each previous Robin. He knows that the best way to help Bruce is to work with him and he wanted to save Damian just as much as Bruce.

I did find the addition of Carrie Kelley in these chapters to be strange. It seems like they are setting her up to be the new Robin, but as far as I know they haven't done much with her recently. At least I haven't heard you all talk about her much.

Regardless of what you think about Frank Miller, this really bums me out... all I can think is there will be a day when we'll see guys like Mike Mignola and Grant Morrison like this. :(

I'm pretty sure Frank Miller has cancer or some such. It's sad to see him like that.

As for Grant Morrison - Rubbish. He'll always look just as he does now. Even after our entire civilization is dust.

Messi

I just read the "Requiem for Damian" trade of Batman and Robin. Oh man those were some good chapters. The dialogue-less chapter of Bruce trying to cope with Damian's death was fantastic and I really enjoyed how we got to see how each member of the bat-family try to help Bruce with his grief. Dick's chapter was probably my favorite. It reminded me of the earlier chapters where Damian was trying to prove he could be Robin by taking a trophy from each previous Robin. He knows that the best way to help Bruce is to work with him and he wanted to save Damian just as much as Bruce.

I did find the addition of Carrie Kelley in these chapters to be strange. It seems like they are setting her up to be the new Robin, but as far as I know they haven't done much with her recently. At least I haven't heard you all talk about her much.

If only. A man can dream.

Filthy Slug

Those Requiem chapters were when Batman and Robin really found its focus, and started aggressively gunning for best current Bat-book. Nobody was really dealing with the fallout of a father losing his son (Inc. was basically done when Damian died, so it really couldn't) and I think Tomasi and Gleason mined that grief expertly. The silent issue is fucking brutal, and I don't think another current Bat-book has had the emotional impact of that story. Also, Bruce's search for Robin has been excellent and when Damian comes back, if he does, it's going to be well-earned and properly impactful.

Regardless of what you think about Frank Miller, this really bums me out... all I can think is there will be a day when we'll see guys like Mike Mignola and Grant Morrison like this. :(
To counter the sadness of that thought, here's a badass picture of Grant Morrison.

faux pls, Grant has made it his life mission to outlive us all. Or at least Alan Moore.

alan.png

grant.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom