• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
zPiXvYS.gif

Back to the strat, back to the strap with the lightening strap.

I really wish they'd give the reader a heads up when an artist is randomly off the book/ on break or whatever.
The Punisher #13 art isn't Gerards.
Main reason I buy this book,,, so will he be back,, how long.. is he done... bastards. lol

barrin87

I read issue 2 through 13 of Saga last night and am absolutely loving it. I'll finish it up tonight and then I'm definitely grabbing the next trade when that comes out later this month.

Read the first two issues of Runaways and the first issue of New X-Men also and liking those also.

I'm in the mood for some Christmas themed comics. Picked up a Archie Christmas issue on Wednesday.

So far I'm looking to maybe get Archie's Favorite Christmas Comics and Archie Christmas Classics TPBs. Anyone read these?

Any suggestions ? Doesn't have to be Archie related

-Party Animal – “DC Universe Holiday Special” (2008)
-Merry Christmas, Justice League — Now Die! – JLA #60, 2001
-“The Batman Adventures Holiday Special” (1995)
-"Yes, Tyrone, There Is a Santa Claus" – “DC Infinite Holiday Special” (2007)
-"Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot" - “Christmas With the Super-Heroes” #2 (1988)
-The Santa Contract - Hitman #22 (1997)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm in the mood for some Christmas themed comics. Picked up a Archie Christmas issue on Wednesday.

So far I'm looking to maybe get Archie's Favorite Christmas Comics and Archie Christmas Classics TPBs. Anyone read these?

Any suggestions ? Doesn't have to be Archie related
Daredevil #7:
Daredevil_Full_7-674x1024.jpg

actually, let me just post this whole fuckin' hilarious thing man, apologizes in advance

superman_batman_santa_2.jpg

He writes:

Dear Daily Planet,

Is there a Santa Claus?

My friend Billy says there isn’t. He says Santa Claus is for babies. He says it’s all made up and big kids know better.

That’s not true, is it? Can reindeer really not fly? Is nobody checking if I’m good or bad? Is it all a big lie?

I’m asking you because my daddy says everything in your paper is true. Except the part about the moon landing.

Yours Truly,
Tyrone Jenkins III

tyrone2.jpg

superman_batman_santa_3.jpg

superman_batman_santa_4.jpg

superman_batman_santa_5.jpg

superman_batman_santa_6.jpg

superman_batman_santa_7.jpg

superman_batman_santa_8.jpg

superman_batman_santa_8_5.jpg

superman_batman_santa_9.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
actually, let me just post this whole fuckin' hilarious thing man, apologizes in advance.

I'm really happy the last page doesn't say Season's Beatings. I've never read that story, but it's fucking hilarious.

I ordered Batman: Noel, Archie Christmas Classics and Tim Burton's the Nightmare Before Christmas (Manga).
Had no idea there was a Nightmare Before Christmas book.

ReAxion

Finally picked up and read ODY-C. Man, hell of a fucking issue. There's a ton to parse there, but I'll say, once you learn to read it, in the almost verse-prose that Fraction and Elioupolos have created, it really starts flowing beautifully, and combined with the super psychedelic and gorgeous imagery, it becomes pretty damn melodic.

This single issue really doesn't linger on any long-winded introductions or meandering, and thrusts you directly into The Odyssey and O's fucked journey home. I think the gender-swapping is pretty brilliant, as they're fucking with not only a simple swap of tits and dongs, but they're completely altering all of the relationships, to some degree, between these classic characters in this classic story. There's something super powerful about the only men shown in the issue being
a scarred gimp and a disregarded god, and then having O reveal that her kid whom she desperately misses, is in fact a boy (one of the only non-gender swapped characters from the original that I noticed).

Also, like Zombine mentioned before (I think), there's an 8-page spread detailing the history of the universe. That's kind of fucking crazy in all of the best possible ways.

I picked up the first cuz Image #1s & Fraction. It's dense and accessible at the same time. I think it'll be a trade wait for me, tho.

Also, I think Jordie Bellaire is adorable on top of a masterful job of coloring half a dozen books at the same time

She's.

Fiona's still my girl tho.

Owzers

Harley has some realllllly bad dialog in parts, but issue #2 was better than the first. They made poison ivy have zero personality though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
The flashback issues of Tulip in Preacher are amazing.

Also, I didn't notice this on my first read of Preacher, but in the first Tulip flashback issue
right after a scene with Tulip and her dad fishing and catching a shark, it skips to a scene of the dad reading a bedtime story to Tulip (she's like 5 at the time) and the dad now has a hook for a hand, but it's not the focus of the panel and it's never mentioned. It's just implied that the shark bit the hand off. Pretty hilarious.

Parch

I only read that one page of Ant-Man and I'm already sold. It's gonna be good.
Yes, it looks like fun.
It's nice to see more superhero titles go for a more humorous approach instead of trotting out nothing but the same old melodramatic bullshit. It's a bunch of capes and tights. Lighten up and have some fun with it.

ReAxion

Why is he a douchebag? (And what has he worked on?)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/11275179/pat-broderick-facebook-cosplay-rant.html

Writing on his Facebook page Broderick said: "Today's heads up. If you're a cosplay personality, please don't send me a friend request. If you're a convention promoter and you're building your show around cosplay events and mega multiple media guests don't invite me.
"You bring nothing of value to the shows, and if you're a promoter pushing cosplay as your main attraction you're not helping the industry or comics market. Thank you."
In a later comment he added: "Cosplay are just selfies in costume, and doing multiple selfies is about the highest expression of narcissism."

"And I should know about the highest expression of narcissism. I'm on Facebook."

E the Shaggy

Gohastings is having a now 45% off everything used deal. The omnibii have been cleaned out but I bought 16 trades for $55 (about $3.50 each).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Damn, DC is releasing a lot of their amazing Deluxe Editions this month. I already preordered A Superman for all seasons from my comic dreamteam Loeb/Sale, but there are releasing Superman Unchained and Identity Crisis in this format.

I wanted to ask if these two books are worth buying and if Identity Crisis is accesible enough for someone who off all books only read Batman comics before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom