• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
Oh man. That
peyote hallucination
issue of Preacher after the Salvation arc. Too good.
I really think Preacher is my favorite comics run of all time. I have a feeling I'll be re-reading this yearly. The best part about having a terrible memory is that re-reading things more than a few months after I first read them is like reading it for the first time all over again.

Speaking of Preacher... stay tuned to see your favorite comic ever turned into an average-at-best hit series on AMC in 2016! ;)

You can only show your custom avatar with those you shared your real name with

Unless you're talking about an avatar you got off PSN, which you can just change somewhere in the settings and anyone can see it

Can you even buy PSN avatars in the PS4 shop? I'd heard you can't, and need to use the webshop. Super-dumb.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, the Vietnam issues of Preacher are just incredible. Definitely a highlight of an already fantastic series.

This page in particular was so good; and for context, they're standing at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall. (People who are currently reading Preacher, there are very minor spoilers that you might as well avoid by not clicking that link.)

Also, ViewtifulJC, Spaceman is totally you when you're older. I made you something:

ibnJpA2DUHhZkw.png

Speaking of Preacher... stay tuned to see your favorite comic ever turned into an average-at-best hit series on AMC in 2016! ;)

Haha. I don't even want to watch it because I know it can never compare. Especially because there's no way they could give it the full Preacher treatment on cable TV.
I'll probably be too curious to not watch it though.

fauxtrot

Banned
Angela: Asgard's Assassin #1 was quite a bit better than I expected it to be... if you're a fan of Kieron Gillen's other Asgardian works, I'd recommend it. If it can keep the momentum going in future issues, it'll have a spot on my pull list.

The Humans #2 was another fun issue and like someone said earlier in the thread, it does have a very punk-rock vibe going on, which meshes well with its other main influence - 60s/70s biker exploitation films. How can you not love Planet of the Apes meets The Wild Angels? I'll be picking up single issues of this as long as it lasts.

With PSN avatars, you can see custom ones if they were uploaded through the phone apps. Messi, what is my avatar when you look at it?

Edit - nvm. I was wrong. That's stupid.

*deep breaths*

Allred is better in my opinion but i can't hate on Cooke. #TeamAllred

Quitely is better than Cooke though. Now, Quitely vs. Allred.... i can't even go there
objectively probably still quitely tho

Allred is the bomb. Like Ben Affleck in Phantoms. Ok that wasnt a great example. ALLRED IS KING! What id give for original art of his...

Messi

With PSN avatars, you can see custom ones if they were uploaded through the phone apps. Messi, what is my avatar when you look at it?

Edit - nvm. I was wrong. That's stupid.

Spiderman and I don't have your real name on there. This makes no sense. I uploaded mine on the app too.

Kipp

Allred is the bomb. Like Ben Affleck in Phantoms. Ok that wasnt a great example. ALLRED IS KING! What id give for original art of his...

Oh man, Allred was at Long Beach Comic Con and I saw the original art... It was absolutely glorious, but it was also like $2000 a pop. I think Laura mentioned to me that it was 10 or 20% off since they weren't going to be at any more conventions for about a year. That was cool, because $1600 is way more in my budget. :p

Zombine

Banned
Oh man, Allred was at Long Beach Comic Con and I saw the original art... It was absolutely glorious, but it was also like $2000 a pop. I think Laura mentioned to me that it was 10 or 20% off since they weren't going to be at any more conventions for about a year. That was cool, because $1600 is way more in my budget. :p

I feel like I would have taken that plunge.

Moore is always pissed. I think he is so senile at this point he is not even sure what he is pissed at anymore.

The writing in Crossed confirms this.

fauxtrot

Banned
Not to tempt anyone, but you can always go to Got Super Powers?, where Mike Allred and Toby Cypress sell some of their original art... for under $1000 you can get a page from X-Statix! He also has a few iZombie 2-page spreads for about $1600.

Kipp

Not to tempt anyone, but you can always go to Got Super Powers?, where Mike Allred and Toby Cypress sell some of their original art... for under $1000 you can get a page from X-Statix! He also has a few iZombie 2-page spreads for about $1600.

Ah yeah, forgot to mention that Allred was only selling covers. Or at least that I saw. I didn't look through his whole book since I knew I wasn't going to buy anything and didn't want to hog the book. So yeah, that was the reason for the $2000 price tag.

Not to tempt anyone, but you can always go to Got Super Powers?, where Mike Allred and Toby Cypress sell some of their original art... for under $1000 you can get a page from X-Statix! He also has a few iZombie 2-page spreads for about $1600. Or if a commission is more your style:

hmmmm... if i don't go to any cons for a year, and don't buy any comics, and maybe skip lunch enough times, I should have just enough

HNNNNNNG. This NEEDS to happen.

Nah, sorry. I'm a filthy trade-waiter. I'm super excited to read it when it gets released in one of Dark Horse's fantastic hardcovers though. Hopefully the initial release is hardcover rather than it being released first as a TPB and then collected in a Library Edition in a couple years.
I love young Hellboy though and I absolutely love the idea of Maleev doing Hellboy, so the hardcover release really can't come soon enough. It'll be a long wait. Haha
I saw that you enjoyed it though! How was Maleev's art? Was it as insanely awesome as I expect it to be?

It is great.. His Hellboy art... just something about that art style, its just perfect for me. Its different from a lot of books I read and enjoy the hell out of it.
It was a great first issue,, really cool idea. Hellboy in the inbetween stages of a kid and adult. On his first mission.
This first 5-6 mini series is in 1952, and then they are doing another mini series witch will take place in 1953 and I think maybe continuing.

y'all are on PSN,share me your names/add me. i just got a PS4 like a week ago, i'm SerpentineZero on there

KoruptData = KoruptData
Messi = RemyWilde
Freezasaurus = Freezasaurus
Cheska = Cheska19
GrandHarrier = GrandHarrier
Tyrant Rave = PR1M3R1B
Bii = Socheata
Gketter = DarkKnight77
Slightconfuse = THESLIGHTCONFUSE
Espi = SirRobes
Sca2511 = sca2511
Gipsy Danger = fenix1989uk
Shin Johnpv = ShinJohnpv or Shin Johnpv
CorporateClown = CorporateClown
Supermanisdead = Supermanizdead
ThyMusicMan = TruKill420
Sillymonkey321 = Owzers
WadiumArcadium = WadiumArcadium
Tizoc = tizoc789
Jedeye Sniv = JedeyeSniv
MG310 = MG310
Voror = MrDresden
Face It Tiger.. = Biggz124
ViktVaughn = VikVaughn
Tim1138 = tim1138
Kikarian = Kikarian
Indigo_cyclops = Indigo_cyclops
Serpentine = SerpentineZero

This is the master list from awhile back.
I still need to add everyone :-/

Kipp

It is great.. His Hellboy art... just something about that art style, its just perfect for me. Its different from a lot of books I read and enjoy the hell out of it.
It was a great first issue,, really cool idea. Hellboy in the inbetween stages of a kid and adult. On his first mission.
This first 5-6 mini series is in 1952, and then they are doing another mini series witch will take place in 1953 and I think maybe continuing.

Awesome! I really, really look forward to reading it whenever that may be. Haha

Hey guys,
I need some spending advice. My mom is getting me Amazon cash for xmas and I'm looking at the following:
Doom Patrol Omnibus
Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 2
Y The Last Man (probably all of them)
Hellboy Library Editions

Kipp

Hey guys,
I need some spending advice. My mom is getting me Amazon cash for xmas and I'm looking at the following:
Doom Patrol Omnibus
Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 2
Hellboy Library Editions

Yep, you're all set.
If you're looking for advice: Click the "Place Order" button.

Shit, yeah, posted too soon.
I was thinking of getting only 1-2 of those (for now anyway).
Which takes top priority?

The Doom Patrol Omnibus takes top priority over all other comic books, friend

Just ask Kipp, slightconfuse, Tryant Rave, and whatsinaname, all satisfied customers

Kipp

Just ask Kipp, slightconfuse, Tryant Rave, and whatsinaname, all satisfied customers

Confirmed. Whatever you get, CorporateClown, at least get the Doom Patrol omnibus.

fauxtrot

Banned
Shit, yeah, posted too soon.
I was thinking of getting only 1-2 of those (for now anyway).
Which takes top priority?

What kind of comics do you like? Doom Patrol is going to be everyone's first choice but I'd like to know some of your favorite comics and how versed in the medium you are before I could recommend it over something like Y the Last Man.

Messi

I was thinking. What if someone bought all of Nocenti's Catwoman again. Maybe they would reverse the decision and move us back to the OT. I am willing to be the guinea pig.

Hey guys,
Doom Patrol Omnibus
Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 2
Hellboy Library Editions

Yep, Doom Patrol. Best comic I have read all year and definitely in my Top 5.

My order in that list would be

1 - Doom Patrol
2 - Hellboy
3 - Y The Last Man

(I haven't read Uncanny X-Men).

In other news, I don't have a car payment anymore!. Maybe I should stretch for a set of Starman Omnibuses next month.

I was thinking. What if someone bought all of Nocenti's Catwoman again. Maybe they would reverse the decision and move us back to the OT. I am willing to be the guinea pig.

or maybe it gets us locked down, several key members banned, and becomes a shell of its former self like NBAGAF

hmmmm... if i don't go to any cons for a year, and don't buy any comics, and maybe skip lunch enough times, I should have just enough

Id have to sell a lot of my atuff and orobably get a divorce to afford and be allowed it, but I want some of that art so badly. You are right it is damn pricey. Worth it though. Original art is a rich persons game and I am in the wrong business if I want to get rich.

I am happy to take donations if original comic art though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom