• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

I remember before the trailer hit some people saying Star Wars didn't matter to the public much anymore.

I mean, yeah the prequels were terrible but even they don't have that kind of power....

fauxtrot

Banned
Did Grant really think Jim Lee was the best man for the job or was this an editorial decision? The world may never know...

Ian Bertram would have been an interesting choice.

I love Jim Lees art. You guys are just jaded. This place is no fun anymore. Fucking 75% negative, sucking on Grant Morrisons cock while taking some squiggly line artist up the ass. You guys just breed more negativity. It sucks.

/endmeltdown
/beingdramaticIknow

Someone let me know when this place is a fun community again.

If you're gonna be a fucking crybaby again because some people dared to dislike what you liked, do us all a favor and fucking leave, KorruptData. Elementary school children aren't this fucking fragile.

PsychBat!

Banned
Dragon Age Inquisition won GOTY. Congrats to Freeza the most cold hearted person on ComicGAF (lol pun).

DOESN'T MATTER CUZ NEW ZELDA AND STAR FOX AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

i've been reading a few issues of thor from jason aaron on marvel universe. going through this god butcher storyline right now. wooooow dat art.

thor movies are such shit they made me swear not to read this but this is cool. reminds me of history channel's vikings show mixed with beowulf.

New 52 Secret Six #1 reminded me quite a bit of New 52 Suicide Squad #1. This one had about half the artists that one did so i guess it's better than that

i heard secret six before new 52 was a really good run though, yeah?

Amazing.
tumblr_nfs1jzE81u1qjsn9po6_500.gif

fertygo

No way. It was great throughout. The best thing she's ever done.

But I'm one of the few that enjoyed Dixon's Birds of Prey run to Gail's.

The art goes to toilet, when wathisname taking over Nicola Scott.. and I thought the plot became nowhere as fun.

Example, the Catman's arc is worst kind of Simone writing. So tryhard edgy.

King Shark is da bes boe.

Just finished off my DCBS order for February. New titles being Nameless, Ales Kot's new series The Surface and Spider-Gwen.

Image is releasing new printing of the Spawn Origins HC's, the first volume been sold out for a while.

Wow,, this Moebius art is amazing.
What book(s) do I buy to check it out.

Also Operation S.I.N.#1 looks kinda cool... 1950's, height of the Cold War,, a supremely powerful alien energy source is discovered on Russian soil,,spy-espionage thrill.
Ok ya got me.

Zombine

Banned
So, I was going to write up this snarky, sarcastic parody review about Spider-Woman #1, but the fact of the matter was that I enjoyed it to be completely honest. Yeah, Land is fairly predictable, and you can tell exactly where he traced images and pulled some models out of his box of crap, but it looked good enough and it was nowhere near X-Men 100th tier bad.

I'm pretty sure me, Tim, Filthy Slug, and Zombine plug the shit out of Silver Surfer every time it comes out.

Silver Surfer is a beacon of light in Marvel's ever growing line of mediocrity, and it's one of the last few good books that they're pumping out that hasn't been cancled. This book delivers every month, yet they refuse to market it to the Dr Who fan girls who would absolutely eat these stories up.

It's probably my mistake for not being louder about the book, but I've been quite on all fronts lately. I've gotten into the habit of reading all my books, enjoying them, and not posting about them.

fertygo

So Dan Slott actually the one that write best marvel book right now?

Anyway, Marvel still have a lot very good book especially smaller/Solo ones. Such like.

Ms. Marvel
Hawkeye
Storm
Cyclops (although its not as good when Rucka writing)
Black Widow
MiracleMan
Deadpool
She-hulk
Inhumans
Magneto & Loki (although both in the middle got fucked up by AXIS)
She-hulk
Elektra
Superior foes

Although some already cancelled or soon, I'm not bitter cuz Marvel seem offering a lot of freedom for these smaller title and these fresh book gonna keep pop up despite had short age, I'm fine with that actually. 12-17 issue is decent enough range for a good run.

Also most of Marvel book read and look modern unlike DCs, only book in Batman line, especially after launching of Grayson and new Batgirl made in modern age.

Owzers

Silver Surfer has great moments for me issue to issue but I haven't found the overall plot/story arcs to be that good. I dropped it at issue 7 in favor of waiting for it to come to Marvel Unlimited, doing my part to help Kipp kill the industry.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh geez guys, it's my day off and I woke up at 2:30am. Just woke up then and wasn't tired at all and decided I might as well start my day. This working at 4am five days a week is starting to be a slight problem.
Also off topic, I'm rereading The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson for the third year in a row. It's without a doubt my favorite book ever, and I love a lot of books. It's just pure joy to read and I feel like I'm enjoying it somehow even more than the first and second times I read it. If anyone here is looking for a book book to read, I'd highly, highly recommend that one. It's a pretty quick read too. 200 pages I think? I'm a super slow reader and I'm already a third through it after just a few days.

I love Jim Lees art. You guys are just jaded.

Coming from someone who doesn't care for realistic art at all, even I'm impressed by Jim Lee and enjoy his stuff. I was pretty wowed by his work in All Star Batman & Robin. If the Absolute edition of that ever goes on clearance (and why shouldn't it, since 99% of people despise that book), I'll very likely pick it up.

Now that I'm on the topic of realistic art that I enjoy, I'm pretty sure Andy Kubert and Jim Lee are the only two DC house style artists I enjoy. Not to say I dislike the rest of the house style artists, but they just don't do anything for me at all.

I feel like Kipp did this, too.

I am the hole in things, the piece that can never fit, there since the beginning.

Silver Surfer has great moments for me issue to issue but I haven't found the overall plot/story arcs to be that good. I dropped it at issue 7 in favor of waiting for it to come to Marvel Unlimited, doing my part to help Kipp kill the industry.

My man. We can do this if we really try.
Speaking of Silver Surfer (and also speaking of killing the industry), I can't wait until the OHC comes out. I'm all over it.

Kipp

You can't pretend that this isn't some stellar art. Full of energy, tons of details, still tastefully stylized even though it's got the realistic style. Also, just noticed that you have the second angle of Batfoot to the cop's face in the car's left-hand-side mirror.

On a separate note, how can you not be entertained by "HA! EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!"
ASB&R was good fun. I kinda want to read it again. Now I really do hope the Absolute edition goes on clearance soonish...

Finished up TRANSMETROPOLITAN VOL 1 and DMZ VOL 1 at work.
They were both really good.

Transmetropolitan is a funny raunchy story. The main character is a little bit of a psycho / asshole. Pretty good tho.
"Spider ventures into the dangerous Angels 8 district, home of the Transients — humans who have decided to become aliens through cosmetic surgery. But Spider's interview with the Transients' leader gets him a scoop he didn't bargain for. And don't miss Spider's first confrontation with the President of the United States . . . in a men's room."

DMZ Vol 1. was great. I really enjoyed it a lot and the idea/story is awesome.
" Matty Roth, a naive young man and aspiring photojournalist, lands a dream gig following a veteran war journalist into the heart of the DMZ. Things soon go terribly wrong, and Matty finds himself lost and alone in a world he's only seen on television. There, he is faced with a choice: try to find a way off the island, or make his career with an assignment most journalists would kill for. But can he survive in a war zone long enough to report the truth?"
Very cool idea of Manhattan being a war zone lookin like an apocalypse area.

Kipp

Transmetropolitan is a funny raunchy story. The main character is a little bit of a psycho / asshole. Pretty good tho.

The main character is based on the same Hunter S. Thompson who I was raving about just a few posts before! He was definitely a psycho/asshole. And a fantastic writer.

ElNarez

Banned
I love Jim Lees art. You guys are just jaded. This place is no fun anymore. Fucking 75% negative, sucking on Grant Morrisons cock while taking some squiggly line artist up the ass. You guys just breed more negativity. It sucks.

I'm gonna stand with Korupt on this goddamn y'all. I mean come on. COME ON. He's an all-time great. Pretty much everything he does today is an instant classic, just a fucking masterclass of practicality.

HE'S GOLDEN I SAYS. GOLDEN.

fertygo

I dunno why Korupt is so mad doe, there's no post that too negative bout that.

I can post something that more controversial yo..

Vio-Lence

Banned
I can't comment on his latest work but I think his old uncanny and X-Men issues have aged poorly. His style is very static and lifeless. Male figures are all statuesque and cheesecake females in absurd poses. I think it's bad now, but I loved that shit 20 years ago when I was 12.

fertygo

I can't comment on his latest work but I think his old uncanny and X-Men issues have aged poorly. His style is very static and lifeless. Male figures are all statuesque and cheesecake females in absurd poses. I think it's bad now, but I loved that shit 20 years ago when I was 12.

most comic from 1990s is unreadable today brah to be fair.

Anyone who ordered from CGN on black friday had their order ship yet? I know they posted a disclaimer but it is my first time using them so I don't know how long they usually take.

I own the floppies for about half of the Image-printed issues of Bone. I was just flipping through them, and I find it hilarious that the back pages are advertising stuff like Medieval Spawn/Witchblade. Even as a kid, I found those ads pretty weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom