• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ok, you wanna know what the PMS are about so bad, fine! Spoilers for the sensitive.

Kipp and I are in love and we're moving to Alaska, to hell with what our parents say

Maybe one day they'll understand. Until then, we'll have our love to keep us warm up north. In fact, I'm counting on it. I don't have any heavy winter clothing or anything.

I didn't get nothing. :(

Sent

Oh, yeah, I got the PM now. Like, it's weird that Zombine is into that type of stuff, but it makes sense.

Right? I mean, whatever makes him happy, but I'll never be able to look at Beanie Babies the same again.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
So.. I've recently read All New X-Men #32 and #33, because I'll buy anything Ultimate Spider-man-related (except the show!).

It seemed kinda nice, though not much happened in two issues, and I like Bendis a lot on USM (it's my favourite comic!). Is it worth reading it from the beginning? Note that I haven't read X-Men in like five years.

Damn theres quite a bit to catch up here. Guess the move didn't really affect activitiy

Jim Lee is a fine artist, but I can't muster any enthusiasm for any works of his. He's good at cape books and I can't remember the last time he ventured outside of that. I have him and JRJR pretty much as the same type of artists. Very effective at cape books and iconic artists, but I think there are many more interesting artists and in Lee's case, artists that have taken their style to the next level like Reis or Mahnke. I don't think either have a great sense of design/composition and their emotional ranges are pretty limited. As long as they're on certain books, they work really well, but I can't really mess with either outside of a specific type of book.

Identity Crisis gets a lot of hate but its really not *that* bad. Its capably written with good artwork but its basically one of the worst examples of comics trying to be edgy and serious business and putting female characters in fridges. Its best semi forgotten. There are way better comics to put your money into.

Coming from someone who doesn't care for realistic art at all, even I'm impressed by Jim Lee and enjoy his stuff. I was pretty wowed by his work in All Star Batman & Robin. If the Absolute edition of that ever goes on clearance (and why shouldn't it, since 99% of people despise that book), I'll very likely pick it up.
Now that I'm on the topic of realistic art that I enjoy, I'm pretty sure Andy Kubert and Jim Lee are the only two DC house style artists I enjoy. Not to say I dislike the rest of the house style artists, but they just don't do anything for me at all.

Funny you mention Kubert and Lee as DC house artists since each made their careers at Marvel.

I'm gonna stand with Korupt on this goddamn y'all. I mean come on. COME ON. He's an all-time great. Pretty much everything he does today is an instant classic, just a fucking masterclass of practicality.

HE'S GOLDEN I SAYS. GOLDEN.
That Multiversity page looks lazy/rushed. He's pretty dependent on his inker. Just like JRJR

Anyone who ordered from CGN on black friday had their order ship yet? I know they posted a disclaimer but it is my first time using them so I don't know how long they usually take.
Yeah, my order's status won't change from 'processed'

Also, we post in a comic thread at a video game forum, we are ALL man babies

Comics/Video Games > All other mediums. We stay winning yo. Seriously, one is probably the least limited storytelling medium and the other is the immersive.

PS: I have yet to receive a PM from y'all mofos. Makes me wanna quit Comics GAF and join NBA/Footy GAF

How would Kipp have the pm?

It's about him.

I know what game you're playing, Messi. It won't stand.
cwfHLzz.gif

A little late, butI just finished the final issue of Superior Foes of Spider-Man. What a wonderful sendoff to an excellent series. Such a great read with excellent character work and a great voice.

I also love the final cover with all the editors in the menu.

Its not a secret if everyone gets the actual real pm.

Stop sending it to everyone.

I'll hold the burden of not knowing so your collective sex thing can remain perversely secret. PMs are overrated anyway.

So.. I've recently read All New X-Men #32 and #33, because I'll buy anything Ultimate Spider-man-related (except the show!).

It seemed kinda nice, though not much happened in two issues, and I like Bendis a lot on USM (it's my favourite comic!). Is it worth reading it from the beginning? Note that I haven't read X-Men in like five years.

I would recommend All New X-Men. It does have some questionable scenes like
when Wolverine is taken out by teen Jean who is using here telepathy for the 1st time or the fact that the O5 X-Men are just 13
but for the most part its very good. It definitely helps that Immonen is on the book for the majority of it.

A little late, butI just finished the final issue of Superior Foes of Spider-Man. What a wonderful sendoff to an excellent series. Such a great read with excellent character work and a great voice.

I admit never reading Superior Foes. But I'm hoping for an omnibus, or complete collections or something.

That's also Spencer and Lieber in the background.

frye

Lee's been exclusively or near-exclusively inked by Scott Williams for a quarter of a century now. This sloppiness (and you could see it in those early Justice Leagues and Superman Unchained too) feels like a result of him thinking he can be fast as well as maintain quality (he can't).

I think you can even like Lee (I do on occasion, ASBAR in particular is really interesting work from him) but think that Multiversity cover is butts.

ps: it's fascinating to me that of all the 90s Image dudes Lee is the only one of them regarded with a kind of general admiration in the readership

Yay, I'm glad someone else appreciated the ending. It really was fantastic and this is gonna be a great series to recommend to people from now on. Wonderful from start to finish. Can't wait for Ant-Man!

Also, I didn't get any PMs. I thought I was part of the squad guys

Lee's been exclusively or near-exclusively inked by Scott Williams for a quarter of a century now. This sloppiness (and you could see it in those early Justice Leagues and Superman Unchained too) feels like a result of him thinking he can be fast as well as maintain quality (he can't).

I think you can even like Lee (I do on occasion, ASBAR in particular is really interesting work from him) but think that Multiversity cover is butts.

ps: it's fascinating to me that of all the 90s Image dudes Lee is the only one of them regarded with a kind of general admiration in the readership

I stan for Silvestri/Green's work on Uncanny X-Men in the 80s tho(and his brief, albeit sketchier, return to New X-Men for Here Comes Tomorrow)

Owzers

These video game conferences are depressing, seems like comic books get more interesting announcements than in gaming.

Messi

She has a high pitched cockney accent and I don't understand a word she says. But it's OK. We both speak the same language in between the sheets. Love.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
To bad that Tom Breevort just announced a couple of days ago, that there are currently no plans to collect all Issues of Superior Foes :(

I am still unsure if I should drop the bullet and buy the Trades or wait for a OHC...

frye

I stan for Silvestri/Green's work on Uncanny X-Men in the 80s tho(and his brief, albeit sketchier, return to New X-Men for Here Comes Tomorrow)

He had chops. Liefeld in his inkstuds interview talked about how Silvestri changed up his style to compete with Liefeld/Mcfarlane/etc which... yea

Ugh I need a timeout from gaming Gaf. They're insane during events and some act like the biggest entitled spoiled brats. Tons of great things shown, I'm happy where the industry is headed. Tons of diversity in games, genres, etc. Fun day

He had chops. Liefeld in his inkstuds interview talked about how Silvestri changed up his style to compete with Liefeld/Mcfarlane/etc which... yea

You can totally see about halfway through his Wolverine run after his stint on Uncanny X-men. His Uncanny X-Men stuff was really nice. Greg Burgas did a good showcase of his "evolution" here.

Here’s another nicely laid-out page. Rogue is trying to stop a train from crashing into a giant hole, while Alison and Betsy are trying to stop the Juggernaut. (By the way, this page could be Exhibit A as to why these three characters are among my favorite comics characters.) So Silvestri has to get a lot onto the page – Alison leaping onto Marko’s shoulders and cutting the straps keeping his helmet on; Betsy blasting him with her beautiful, sexy brain; and Rogue stopping the train. He does this in ten (10!) well designed panels. We get Alison looking down into the hole and leaping off the edge, a long shot of the train showing how close it is to the hole, Alison landing perfectly on Marko’s shoulders, then a nice view from track level giving us a peek at Rogue doing her best Superman impression, Alison blasting the straps away and jumping clear just as Betsy knocks Marko out, a nice view of Marko unconscious, and then the pebbles landing on their heads and the final joke by Rogue, showing that she stopped the train just in time. The movement across the page is fantastic, and Silvestri manages to create a lot of tension in two different scenarios. The choices he makes with regard to the train are very nice, too. The overhead view establishes where the train is; the track-level view shows us the wrecked track, Rogue in position, and the ties flying away as she tries to set her feet; and the third view subverts our expectations of the final stop on the edge, as we don’t see it but instead see Rogue’s humorous reaction to it. Meanwhile, once again Silvestri’s facial expressions are better from farther away, as Dazzler looks a bit vacant in Panel 1 but by Panel 6, Silvestri darkens her eyes and makes her look more determined. Finally, his body language on Rogue in Panel 10 is very nice, as she’s half-sitting on the edge of the hole, her head down (showing off that glorious skunky mullet!) and her entire body looking drained of energy. This is a wonderful page, on that would last probably three pages in today’s comics world.

He had that kind of stylized sexy aesthetic but he was still a really skilled sequential storyteller, lotta nice panels per page, energetic figurework, good sense of perspective like panel 5 with the train coming at us and nice details like Rogue's clothes getting trashed. But by Cyberforce its like "SO YOU GUYS LIKE THIS JIM LEE SPLASH PAGE/STIFF CHARACTER POSING/FEW PANELS KINDA THING HUH" and that was that.

Yea i was kinda surprised i'm liking Silvestri's UXM stuff considering that i don't really like his stuff with Top Cow (or that whole aesthetic in general)

Ugh I need a timeout from gaming Gaf. They're insane during events and some act like the biggest entitled spoiled brats. Tons of great things shown, I'm happy where the industry is headed. Tons of diversity in games, genres, etc. Fun day

The Zelda Wii U thread is getting to me. Zelda Wii U gameplay and Uncharted 4 gameplay in 2 days and people still whinge and nitpick. (FFVII announcement was amazing.)

Bii

I like what I've seen as well. SFV and Zelda, hnnng!

To keep it comics related, I read Planet Hulk with Marvel Unlimited. It's ok. So World War Hulk is worse?

Messi

And i just checked my front porch to discover several IST orders have arrived.

The themes of these orders are: Neil Gaiman/Dave Mckean projects, Madman!, and misc DC trades

How is IT girl? I was going to get it a few months back.

Oh and you shelves are awesome.

Just finished reading Spirit/Rocketeer Pulp Friction. Short and good fun. Granted it might not be that interesting if you haven't already read and liked Cooke's Spirit and The Rocketeer.

Will start on Saga next, picked up the first trade from the library.

Owzers

What would you do with 100 extra bags/boards? I order bags/boards with my dcbs issues so they arrive in the best shape possible, but i've ended up with a lot extra as i've doubled up issues for shipping/selling. I'm trying to make room for things that aren't dumb. I'm guessing trash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom