• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justice League 37 was another great read. Broken record but Johns has been on fire with this team since FE ended. Fabok is jaw dropping as usual.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Has anyone read Dream Logic by David Mack? The hardcover was released yesterday and it seems interesting.

Also, that Kelley Jones Batman Gallery Edition. I wish I had $100 to spend on that. I love Kelley Jones.

Messi

Vampire Batwoman
is back in the newest issue of Batwoman making it the best thing that will come out this week. Sorry guys. Wrap it up.

Dalek

Wow-Batman 37 is fucking amazing. I would say book of the week, month-maybe even year for me. So amazing. I've got literal goosebumps on my arms after putting it down. All hail Snyder...

Has anyone ever had a run this long and consistently great on Batman? How long was Morrison on the title?

OK FUCK IT I LIED

Warming, big pictures, cheating, and laziness on my part incoming

the_wicked_The_Divine_example.jpg

10. The Wicked + The Divine by Kieron Gillen, James McKelvie, Matt Wilson, and Clayton Cowles - Gillen and McKelvie continue to hone their craft in the pursuit of the perfect pop comic. They've been through the trenches of superheroes work, and came out the other side fully energized. Combining their love of pop music with a more traditional genre plot, The Wicked + The Divine is an intriguing world of gods, magic, and finger snapping witchcraft. The Faust Act was great, and going by #6, the encore could be even better.

Daredevil_example.jpg

9. Daredevil by Mark Waid, Chris Samnee, Javier Rodriguez, and Joe Caramagna - Matt Murdock makes the move to san francisco, but Waid and his A-list creative team still produce many of the same qualities that make Daredevil the most consistently enjoyable Marvel comic month-to-month. Waid, an old pro of the superhero genre, is able craft clever, compelling scripts that understand reader expectations and knows how to upend them. Chris Samnee and Javier Rodriguez sequential storytelling is always on point, and the lettering/coloring are always a great fit. When this book goes away sometimes next year, the comic world will be a little poorer.

Zero_example_3.jpg

8. Zero by Ales Kot, Jordie Bellaire <3, Clayton Cowles, and a bunch of artists - Super spy fiction almost always emphasizes the Super aspect for accessible entertainment purposes. Gadgets, guns, girls, globe-trotting, big on spectacle, not much left to the imagination. With Zero, you have a book whose power often comes from what it isn't said or shown explicitly. It goes to some dark, quiet places, and it relies on the minimalist efforts of the creative team to give its various sequences an ambiguous power. Its unpredictable, personal, and certainly one of the most interesting comics being produced right now.

multiversity_example_1.jpg

7. Multiversity by Grant Morrison and bunch of artists - After so many years of dominance as the most popular form in the comic medium, you'd think all the interesting avenues for superheroes have been explored and are now boring and old hat. Multiversity is a big fat laugh in that sentence's general direction. Grant Morrison and a cadre of top tier artists have dedicated this event as a lover letter to celebrating the many viable paths and styles the superhero comic can take. Pulp magazine heroics, dark modern day deconstruction, and family friendly Golden Age fun are all on the board, all still waiting with the potential of creators to craft good, exciting stories with them. If Pax Americana(a 40 page mic drop of formal excellence by the greatest creative team in the business) doesn't get you excited about the possibilities of the superhero comic, you might need to find another hobby.

Private_Eye_3.png
peye1.jpg

6. The Private Eye by Brian K. Vaughn, Marcos Martin, and Muntsa Vicente - Cheating a bit, since I'm basically voting the whole thing since the last issue comes in 2015, and it started before this year but its my list so hold dat shit. The Private Eye is a digital-only comic deals with themes increasingly relevant in our ever-connected world. How much do we value our privacy in today's society? What role does the Internet and its various connections have on own lives, and just how dangerous is it? What would happen if the Cloud leaked EVERYONE'S information, and not just Sony and celebrity nude photos? BKV explores this through a strong Sci-fi noir/thriller plot, showcasing his strength for tangible world building that makes the heady concepts easy to invest in. Its some of BKV's sharpest scripts, his future based set-up means he can't fallback on TV/trivia references and tries harder for humor. The protagonist, P.I., is well-developed and a compelling central figure, the entertaining villian who genuinely believes what he's doing is the right thing(and his motivations make sense), and those two are surrounded by a vivid cast of supporting characters. The largest brunt of the success of this book has to go to Marcos Martin, though. Martin, one of the absolute best sequential storytellers in the business, uses a widescreen approach for all your iPad reading needs. Now some artists fumble around at this, but Marcos excels in this format, equally adapt at quiet character moments and action set pieces alike. This is smart, high-quality entertainment, and when its finished up next year, I highly recommend the full 10 issue series.

deadly_class_example.jpg

5. Deadly Class by Rick Remender, Wes Craig, and Lee Louridghe - Deadly Class feels like the book Remender was always suppose to write. Its a perfect venue for his high concept bombastic style mixed with emotionally volatile and violent characters. But as I keep on saying, the real discovery here are the art team of Wes Craig and Lee Louridghe. I wrote some more extensive posts about them, but the tl;dr version is that they probably my favorite monthly art team going right now, and a huge part of what makes Deadly Class the most exciting new comic of the year.

uncanny_avengers_example.jpg

4. Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender, Daniel Acuna, Steve McNiven, and Laura Martin - But if we're talking the straight up most exciting book of the year, its got to be this Remender book over here. Not nearly as well-crafted as the other titles on this list, it doesn't matter. No other comic on the stands today had me feenin' for the next month's issue even when I'm halfway through the current one. A continuation of plot strands from the popular Uncanny X-Force run, Remender has filled out an epic storyline built across smaller story arcs, filled with the fun character moments, spectacular action beats, and deliciously comic booky high concepts that has become his trademark. Shoutouts to McNiven, Acuna, and Laura Martin for making the book look great most of the time, as I don't want to give the impression this was a totally haphazrd lookin' book with no respect to proper workmanship.

hawkeye_example_1.jpg
hawkeye_example_2.jpg

3. Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, David Aja, Annie Wu, Javier Pulido, Matt Hollingsworth, Chris Eliopolous, etc - More cheating, since I'm basically voting for the whole run, since like the Private Eye the last issue(hopefully!?) comes out next year sometime, and I read the whole thing in anticipation of December's #21. Everything I wanted to say about the book's many, many commendable elements of craft, its exploration of time and chronology, or the qualities of everybody involved from Matt Fraction on down to Hollingsworth colors and Eliopoulus letters can be found in these excellent Eye on Hawkeye series of analysis posts. It takes FOREVER to come out, but its worth it. A finer example of what the modern superhero ongoing(lol) you will not find today.

copra_example.jpg

2. Copra, by Michel Fiffe - Because of my increasing laziness in writing this list, I'm just gonna link to smarter, more articulate writers than me to talk about why Copra is the shit. Here's one, here's another, here's a good one as well.

SBK4-SMP.jpg

1. Stray Bullets, by David and Maria Lapham - And finally, I'll quote a post I made earlier in regards to me pimping this book out to anybody who would listen: Stray Bullets is everything you claim to want in comics but don't buy for some reason. Long-form story told in done-in-one issues, bang for your buck. Fantastic dialog that never degenerates into tics seriously bro bro seriously. Wonderful pacing thanks to the 8-panel grid, does everything from sex, violence, profanity, perversion, but never skimps on characters, intelligence, humor, and a lot of heart. The complete control David Lapham has on the art, writing, and even lettering with the 8-panel grid is astonishing. His action is exciting, his humor is always on point, and scenes like the above in the context of the larger narrative are devastating. Its the straight up best comic book being published in 2014, and it will probably be the best one in 2015 as well.

Baker's Dozen of Honorable Mentions:
-Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky
-Silver Surfer by Dan Slott, and Michael/Laura Allred
-She-Hulk by Charles Soule and Javier Pulido
-Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples
-Grayson by Tim Seeley, Tom King, and Mikel Janin
-Southern Bastards by Jason Aaron and Jason Latour
-Annihilator by Grant Morrison and Frazier Irving
-TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE BY JOHN BARBARA AND TOM SCIOLI WHY WASNT THIS IN THE TOP 10 I FORGOT FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
-Copperhead by Jay Faerber, Scott Godlewski, and Ron Riley
-BPRD by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, and James Harren
-Satellite Sam by Matt Fraction and Howard Chaykin
-Flash Gordon by Jeff Parker, Evan Shainer, and Jordie Bellaire <3

MG310

Has anyone read Dream Logic by David Mack? The hardcover was released yesterday and it seems interesting.

Also, that Kelley Jones Batman Gallery Edition. I wish I had $100 to spend on that. I love Kelley Jones.

I have it coming from IST...I'll let you know how it is. I want to say it was mostly process/sketchbook type stuff but I may have mixed up reading that with the Kabuki Reflections books.

BBTS actually got their DC Collectibles stuff in on the right week! Zatanna and Holiday Harley are on their way.

Straight up, ViewtifulJC top 10 list thus far is the best top ten, though I would have put Southern Bastards and Sex Criminals in there. Don't know what you would have to pull out. Oh,and uh Secret Avengers...So really, you should have made a top 13 list.

tim1138

You set the bar high ViewtifulJC, great post.
I'm gonna try and get mine up this week, looking ahead there's nothing out next week that will change my list.

Wonder Woman #37
So we go from one of the best Wonder Woman runs in the history of the character. To this... This is just bad. Diana is a bad ass war God now and they have her acting and looking like a Confused teenager. And then
they bring back Donna Troy is the more retarded way possible.

All-new X-men
No much happened but I still really enjoyed it. I'm not sure why the Ultimate X-men are mean mugging Miles though. Dude is just setting in their kitchen like 'I'm out side of my comfort zone.' Young Beast and Doom are surprisingly hilarious together.

E the Shaggy

So the implication of today's Captain America is
there's a Hydra agent on every major superteam. It's Secret Invasion all over again!

Just to let you guys know, I do have something planned as an end of year kind of thing, that you'll be hearing about next week if all goes well. I was hoping to have already started on it, but I did something extremely stupid last week and have been spending my spare computer time fixing it.

tim1138

Alright, I have my list put together. I'm in too much of a food coma from our departments holiday lunch to add commentary and images today, so look for it by the end of the week.

Drayco21

Man, I don't even know why Guardians is still on my pull list. Hot garbage, every single week without fail. I'd give anything to see Bendis off this goddamn book so someone who actually cares could do something with it.

Owzers

Man, I don't even know why Guardians is still on my pull list. Hot garbage, every single week without fail. I'd give anything to see Bendis off this goddamn book so someone who actually cares could do something with it.

Drop it and you will feel no regrets. If need be, sub to Marvel Unlimited and read it there.

I remember reading Lapham MK Spider-Man mini and hating it. Probably one of my most hated comics ever. It'll take more than hyperbolic praise to get me to pick up a Lapham book.

I don't drop books very easily, but I'm not getting any more of the trades. Shit run.

Thanks for the kind words ya'll. I meant to link to my Deadly Class comments, but I couldn't find them in time.

Welp, back in the land of the living. Missed a couple of topics.

-Yes, Deadly Class is just as good as everybody hoped, and much better than Black Science. You look at Wesley Craig's influences, its all there on the page: American Flagg!, 80s Frank Miller, AKIRA, Moebius, all the good shit. Lee loughridge is perfectly in sync with him every step of the way. Check this great flashback spread. The white space does a lot of work to make the black of the ground stand out, with the black doubling as that encrouching disaster from above into his little happy life. The red EXPLODES onto the greyscale, the black boarders bleeding into the final grim panel. 'Nother dope page. Look at that wonderful symmetry of page design that emphasizes the distance between these two characters. Note how the white space/panels give the lettering an extra oomph standing out against the purple and blues. And it all ties together to give this dramatic moment weight and power. COMICS!, everyone. The art of sequential storytelling is a fine thing.

I'd be shocked in those links still work tho, but its A+++ comic book shit.

I remember reading Lapham MK Spider-Man mini and hating it. Probably one of my most hated comics ever. It'll take more than hyperbolic praise to get me to pick up a Lapham book.

Stray Bullets >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> his superhero comics

I feel the corporate comics are the things he did to make ends meet so he can go back to doing what he's good at but doesn't sell

ElNarez

Banned
Deadly Class is the only one of Remender's Image books I still read. Low didn't grab me and Black Science is just "hey things are still incredibly fucked and now one has really learned anything" every single issue ad nauseam.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I have it coming from IST...I'll let you know how it is. I want to say it was mostly process/sketchbook type stuff but I may have mixed up reading that with the Kabuki Reflections books.

Cool, thanks! It looks really interesting.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just finished Hawkeye with the Pizza Dog Issue. Great stuff. Cant wait for the sex...eh, second half of the run.

Matt motherfucking Fraction ist a master of writing, I just love this dude.
The only thing that bothers me is the sexual tension between Clint and Kate. First because I see Eli as Kates partner and second because for me, Kate and the other Young Avenger are still not even 18... I think they should be 18 in the comics by now, but this is still kinda disturbing for me...

Cade

Yo Jesus Christ holy shit Thunderworld is the greatest

riffing on hickman FF and all sorts of shit and just the best ever whyi sn't morrison doing a captain marvel book i don't care if you need to call it shazam just put it out there

Drayco21

Drop it and you will feel no regrets. If need be, sub to Marvel Unlimited and read it there.

I'm probably just going to have to do this. I can't not know what's happening to some of my favorite characters, even if it means nothing but character assassination and nonsense at the hands of someone who clearly never cared about them and is only addressing previous criticism to make them more like the movie versions, but I really need to stop rewarding him with my money.

At least I can also buy the Abnett and Lanning reprints now and support the good book.

E the Shaggy

On the latest Batman,
I haven't read it but the idea that the Joker is in fact the Devil or some supernatural force is exactly the kind of shit he'd try to pull over on people. There's no way that's real.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
On the latest Batman,
I haven't read it but the idea that the Joker is in fact the Devil or some supernatural force is exactly the kind of shit he'd try to pull over on people. There's no way that's real.

I agree, but it's still really fucking spooky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom