• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG310

Speaking of Lady Bullseye...Can we have a jobber of the year category just for her?

Saw a few Ebay auctions for the Bombshells Supergirl rerelease that aren't pre-orders...so that 2nd shipment should be hitting the rest of the stores soon.

Nudull

Banned
Well, this is news to me:

U9F3G9s.jpg

The guy who wrote Witch Doctor for Image is behind it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I actually might get in on that. I've been wanting to read it for a while now but have always been too lazy :/

Do it! Unfortunately, I can't delay the starting point past the 19th since I've delayed it a few times already, but order it, catch up on the issues you've missed when you get it, and join us in the book club!

so one of my friends will be doing a couple of fill in issues on Lumberjanes!

Awesome!
One of the creators from Lumberjanes was at this panel I went to at Long Beach Comic Con and she seemed really cool. I have no idea who it was though.
That isn't one of my better anecdotes...

Speaking of Lady Bullseye...Can we have a jobber of the year category just for her?

that chick stays taking Ls

3060312-matt+lady+bullseye+1.jpg
ladybullseye.png

Elektra-7-Matlock.png

But its ok, she's the best kind of jobber. She has a great visual design, you can make some cool fight scenes with her, and you can pretty much just stick her in any story with little justification because "hired assassin".

mysterious.png

fauxtrot

Banned
So I was able to grab all the Strangers in Paradise "pocket book" editions (or whatever they're called) for mega cheap, used at my LCS... it looks like it has every issue, but if it is missing anything I'll need for the book club, someone please let me know!

Kipp

So I was able to grab all the Strangers in Paradise "pocket book" editions (or whatever they're called) for mega cheap, used at my LCS... it looks like it has every issue, but if it is missing anything I'll need for the book club, someone please let me know!

I think you should be good! Glad you were able to pick it up!

Is that what daredevil comics look like now? Looks like some kids cartoon

Dude.

I'm reading bendis daredevil right now, can you really blame me? That art is beautiful

So far this run is like the GOAT superhero stuff I've read since frank miller's stuff with batman and daredevil

Kipp

And what's up with artists like Darwyn Cooke or Michael Allred? People actually like those guys? What are we, 5 years old? This ain't Saturday morning and I'm a grown-ass adult.

Went to the shop today with a thought of getting Zatanna bombshell or holiday Harley and walked out with Aquaman.

B5GoOydCcAAdP5S.jpg

$75 after my discount for how big it is, is a steal.

And what's up with artists like Darwyn Cooke or Michael Allred? People actually like those guys? What are we, 5 years old? This ain't Saturday morning and I'm a grown-ass adult.

Lol nah. I'm not denying their talent, that would be ignorant. I just prefer a certain style to some of these characters is all

It's just jarring seeing that since I'm only familiar with maleev' drawings for the dude.

Zombine

Banned
that chick stays taking Ls

3060312-matt+lady+bullseye+1.jpg
ladybullseye.png

Elektra-7-Matlock.png

But its ok, she's the best kind of jobber. She has a great visual design, you can make some cool fight scenes with her, and you can pretty much just stick her in any story with little justification because "hired assassin".

mysterious.png

Welp, now I know who Dana White is gonna have fight CM Punk.

Kipp

right?

we know damn well Kipp isn't an adult

I'M 14 YEARS OLD, OKAY. I CAN MAKE MY OWN DECISIONS ABOUT MY LIFE MOM.
I've already taken AP psychology so I know more than you! I'M GOING TO MOVE OUT AS SOON AS I CAN LEGALLY GET A JOB AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME.

Lol nah. I'm not denying their talent, that would be ignorant. I just prefer a certain style to some of these characters is all

It's just jarring seeing that since I'm only familiar with maleev' drawings for the dude.

Haha yeah, I'm just messing with you. I get it.
Have you checked out Bendis/Maleev's Scarlet yet? That's some top-tier Maleev.

Haha I quite liked Maleev. He was perfect for Bendis's Daredevil. Such a phenomenal run. Personally, I'd put it as one of the best runs of any comic of all time.

That being said, Samnee is about eight levels higher than Maleev as an artist. Maleev eventually got a little over reliant on photoreference and his work looked a bit stiff as a result.

Kipp

That being said, Samnee is about eight levels higher than Maleev as an artist. Maleev eventually got a little over reliant on photoreference and his work looked a bit stiff as a result.

I've had the second Waid Daredevil OHC sitting on my shelf for a while now and still haven't read it. So I haven't experienced Samnee's Daredevil yet. I really should read that sometime. I really, really loved volume one.

Vyer

Yeah, it's not like you'll get revoltech levels of posibility, but the hand options are great, and they all come with a lot of accessories. It's funny you mentioned that though...because I put the second cape on him which restricts his arms more.

Yeah, though I think it might be the better looking of the two, but I haven't decided yet.

Damn, Norm Breyfogle had a stroke and is in the hospital. I loved his Batman stuff with Alan Grant.

aw no. :(

One of my all time favorites.

fauxtrot

Banned
I will admit that stiffness is the only quibble I have with some of Allred's art, such as in early X-Force/X-Statix. It's a minor criticism, though, since he's one of my top 10 favorite artists.

Zombine

Banned
I will admit that stiffness is the only quibble I have with some of Allred's art, such as in early X-Force/X-Statix. It's a minor criticism, though, since he's one of my top 10 favorite artists.

Those faces though. The first page of FF #1 should be taught in college level art classes.
Those faces are so organic I'm surprised they don't sell his books at Whole Foods.

NeonZ

I'd really like it if they really went forward with giving the Joker a supernatural origin. It'd be make his current characterization work so much better... Unfortunately, knowing Snyder, this will all be broken apart in the next few issues. I liked Batman 37, but seeing everything as a misdirection hurt my enjoyment...

On Batman and Robin #37

Did Batman just pretty much solo Darkseid in that book?

He did get some good hits, but if Batman hadn't run and the battle had extended a little longer he'd be dead, and that was with an armor that was supposed to have the combined power of the Justice League,
which had to be completely destroyed during that clash

I've had the second Waid Daredevil OHC sitting on my shelf for a while now and still haven't read it. So I haven't experienced Samnee's Daredevil yet. I really should read that sometime. I really, really loved volume one.
I've got that same book stuck in a B&N order that wont ship til the new year since its waiting on one collection to release. I'm way excited for it.

Why have you been feeling in a non comics reading mood Kipp? You can't kill the industry much more

Kipp

Why have you been feeling in a non comics reading mood Kipp? You can't kill the industry much more

Been in a non-anything mood lately, if I'm honest. It's no fault of comics. I'll probably be okay soon enough though. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up on the Strangers in Paradise read-through, cause I've been really looking forward to that.

Been in a non-anything mood lately, if I'm honest. It's no fault of comics. I'll probably be okay soon enough though. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up on the Strangers in Paradise read-through, cause I've been really looking forward to that.

I know that feel. I'm going to force myself to read something tonight.

Guilty Gear is taking up all of my free time :'(

Kipp

I know that feel. I'm going to force myself to read something tonight.

Guilty Gear is taking up all of my free time :'(

Totally did not realize Guilty Gear Xrd was out yet. I really hope Arc System Works ports it to PC, especially since they've ported two of the Blazblue games and a couple old Guilty Gear games.

Totally did not realize Guilty Gear Xrd was out yet. I really hope Arc System Works ports it to PC, especially since they've ported two of the Blazblue games and a couple old Guilty Gear games.

Oh yeah it did, it's so awesome. I don't play on PC but they should try and get Accent Core+R on there since that's the last version of XX and it's amazing.

GrandHarrier and everyone else who talked about it: I picked up Supergirl 36 and 37 today. Hope it's as good as you guys say!

Soon I'll be departing for my 2 week holiday vacation. Loading my iPad with comics — I still have some more to add.

I like this age of digital comics.

damn thats some quality reading you got.

I need that Batgirl Year One comic. Too bad there's not a nice hardcover of that...

The Robin Year One trade I have is of...questionable printing quality. Anyone have the printing? If so is it good or is it vertigo tier?

Tizoc

I need to unlock Sin already, will try to put some time into it tomorrow after I finish messing around with USF4's Omega mode.

Cheska

I haven't had a computer since September, it's so good to be using an actual keyboard instead of typing on my iPad :D YAY!

We were out Christmas shopping all day, so I only had a chance to read Catwoman 37, which was absolutely fantastic. Can't stop signing praises for this new creative team, they are doing so much right.

Oh yeah it did, it's so awesome. I don't play on PC but they should try and get Accent Core+R on there since that's the last version of XX and it's amazing.

GUILTY GEAR! I'm waiting on the PS4 sticks to be available before buying it. And for the netcode issues to be resolved I guess.

I did just get Persona 4 Arena Ultimax though, let's fight! :)

Speaking of Maleev, are any of you guys reading Hellboy & BPRD.....?!?!
HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGG

Not only is Zero that good, it's better than that good.
Why couldn't you just tell me it was overrated garbage.... :(

Slice of life comics are best comics.

Truf.

Do it! Unfortunately, I can't delay the starting point past the 19th since I've delayed it a few times already, but order it, catch up on the issues you've missed when you get it, and join us in the book club!

Actually, I think one of my friends has the first trade or volume so I should be able to start along with you guys!

2543848-My-Body-is-Ready-random-31574393-320-319.png

Vibranium

Banned
It's not really unusual as art styles evolve, but I don't really like the way Frank is drawn now in The Punisher. The more realistic proportions seem to have gone in exchange of the macho exaggeration of with a huge chest and upper body.

Yeah, I don't know what the heck happened there. I'm quite disappointed in Gerrads for how odd Frank looks as a oversized body builder (it's fine for cosmic stuff, not street-level). If Edmondson would bring back the damn letters column I would write in to ask them to return to realistic proportions. The recent issue was all Howling Commandos (pretty neat too) though and they looked fine, so who knows.

Good thing Aaron brought the letters back for Thor, more Marvel titles need them.

GUILTY GEAR! I'm waiting on the PS4 sticks to be available before buying it. And for the netcode issues to be resolved I guess.

I did just get Persona 4 Arena Ultimax though, let's fight! :)
I haven't had any netcode issues so far in the matches I've played with some friends (FL, TX, CA) but I'm sure there's gonna be a patch to fix some of the issues people have been having though, it seems like a shoe-in for an Arcsys title these days. I got it on PS3 so I could hold off on buying another stick for a little longer since I picked up the one I'm using now earlier in the year lol. As for Persona, if I can pull myself away from Guilty Gear then I'll definitely play!

Read Supergirl 36 and 37. Haven't read anything with her before but they were pretty good. The cliffhanger at the end of today's issue makes me want the next issue already. The art is really great, I love the way Lupacchino draws Kara in the new outfit (hopefully we get to see more of it!).

I'm gonna read through Batman and Axis tomorrow. I'm gonna save Multiversity for Friday since I'm off but I've been looking forward to this issue the most so far so I'm really excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom