• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
It's not really unusual as art styles evolve, but I don't really like the way Frank is drawn now in The Punisher. The more realistic proportions seem to have gone in exchange of the macho exaggeration of with a huge chest and upper body.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Deadly Class is the only one of Remender's Image books I still read. Low didn't grab me and Black Science is just "hey things are still incredibly fucked and now one has really learned anything" every single issue ad nauseam.

Not quite--
Kadir being the possible hero here is a huge "somebody learned something" but I definitely feel like the book has lost steam. I actually think Grant's kids are fucking awful, and I'm tired of them, but I'm hoping that the book picks up and makes Kadir's journey way more prominent here. You know, unless Kadir ends up dying a shitty death in next few issues or something.

frye

What does this consist of??
What issues.

6 issues, so the first two compendiums/first half of the first run. Also my shop didn't have it so that suxx, shoulda preordered that shit

-TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE BY JOHN BARBARA AND TOM SCIOLI WHY WASNT THIS IN THE TOP 10 I FORGOT FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

TTEEJqv.png

I remember reading Lapham MK Spider-Man mini and hating it. Probably one of my most hated comics ever. It'll take more than hyperbolic praise to get me to pick up a Lapham book.

He spent the decade being a family man and writing bad work for hire, Stray Bullets is the business.

Batman 37
Joker creeping out from under commissioners bed freaked me the hell out. The more i think about depicting joker as a curse on gotham in this arc the more i like it.

On the latest Batman,
I haven't read it but the idea that the Joker is in fact the Devil or some supernatural force is exactly the kind of shit he'd try to pull over on people. There's no way that's real.

Oh he's definitely just trying to mess with them yeah. Gordon calls him out on faking a load of photographs.

fauxtrot

Banned
Has anyone read Dream Logic by David Mack? The hardcover was released yesterday and it seems interesting.

Also, that Kelley Jones Batman Gallery Edition. I wish I had $100 to spend on that. I love Kelley Jones.

Yooo, I met Kelley Jones on Sunday at Sac-Con and he was super nice... got a signed print and we talked Batman a little bit. Huzzah!

OK FUCK IT I LIED

[snip...]

copra_example.jpg

2. Copra, by Michel Fiffe - Because of my increasing laziness in writing this list, I'm just gonna link to smarter, more articulate writers than me to talk about why Copra is the shit. Here's one, here's another, here's a good one as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one loving COPRA... the second trade (COPRA - ROUND TWO) comes out in January and will collect #7 - #12! This comic just keeps getting better and better... the third arc (which is still available in single issues at Michel Fiffe's etsy shop) was beautifully done, and the fourth arc is currently available for preorder!

I really hope All-New Ultimates doesn't hurt Fiffe's career at Marvel, but if it does I'd love to see him on an Image title's art duties with someone like Matt Kindt, Brandon Graham, or Matt Fraction.

Zombine

Banned
I just got my The New Adventures of Batman figure today, and all I can say is one word:

Wow.

If I had to make a comparison to other figures, this falls firmly in between the Takara Transformers Masterpiece figures, and the Star Wars Black line. The attention to detail is incredible, the plastic quality is high, all the extra hands, the extra cape, and the sturdy base with the production art on it just completely rounds out the figure and it's definitely a highlight of my collection.

I need this entire line now.

Ok, here is my top 10 of 2014. Writing long descriptions down is not my thing but I try to put some thoughts down.

10. Harley Quinn by Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Connor, Chad Hardin

Where this comic lacks in technical merit, it more than makes up for it in heart. The creators really care for this comic and character. The newest issue, the holiday issue is why this comic is a top seller. Its Harley but smart and funny.

harley-holiday2.jpg

9. Aquaman by Geoff Johns, Jeff Parker, Paul Pelletier

I am fairly new to comics, about 2 years now and I didnt find Aquaman until this year but he is one of my favorite characters. Geoff Johns run ended and Parker and has not missed a beat. Aquaman just quietly wins each and every month. Paul's art is consistently great.

tumblr_inline_na2rzgnK1M1rs0hcl.jpg

8. Afterlife with Archie by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa,with art by Francesco Francavilla.

My first Archie book and its awesome. Roberto crafts a solid story so far and Francesco always knocks it out of the park.

3422505-awa_2-5.jpg

7. Batman and Robin by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason

Batman is my favorite. Tomasi is tapped into the emotional spectrum of the Batverse. He has crafted stories that stick with you and Gleasons art is the perfect fit.

PXAXHAtrBcYFFhm1k8PaQybpcNzFKeBRZrjnRCsmgAR1ScnQP2sqgtQwaKgxYSSre.jpg

6. Saga by B.K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

It may not move at the addicting pace that Y does, but I still care about these characters. This book is still top tier.

sg1.jpg

5. Multiversity by Grant Morrison and Various

It took Final Crisis for Grant Morrison to click with me. His Batman will never be my Batman but his love of the DCU is infectious. That love has been gracing the pages of Multiversity.

The-Multiversity-2014-001-0321.jpg

4. Grayson by Tom King, Tim Seeley, and Mikel Janin

Has quickly become one of the better comics being published. Lots of care is going into this book.

grayson2-3.jpg

3. Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarksky

Sex Criminals is great because it speaks to you at a very human level. Fraction knows his audience and does an excellent job of relating with you so you are immersed in the story and care about the characters. Its damn funny also!

Bw8QI9OIEAEgcBF.jpg

2. Deadly Class by Rick Remender and Wes Craig

From number #1 to the latest issue, easily the most consistent, good comic to come out month to month. I feel like this is Ricks most personal or even favorite book he writes and it shows. Wes is top tier on this.

DeadlyPreviewPg4-8209b.jpg

1. Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo

Its Batman. Its Batman that is relevant to the times. This is my Batman. Zero Year has been my favorite comic story of all time so far. Thats goes for any of Batmans rich and long history.

Batman-33-03.png

tim1138

Holy fuck at Zero, that fight scene was intense. I love this recent trend by Kot to have minimal dialog and narration and let the art tell the story.

Zombine

Banned
Those TMNT trades are awful. The Deluxe HC's will fix that problem.

Holy fuck at Zero, that fight scene was intense. I love this recent trend by Kot to have minimal dialog and narration and let the art tell the story.

I bet he has some awesome notes for the direction of those pages though.

Thanks!
And yeah, good point. Though the crime/heist/murder stuff was also fantastic in Criminal. I always looked forward to finding out how they were going to pull off whatever crime. I should read some other Brubaker creator-owned stuff sometime.

And I did, kind of. I grabbed Dark Knight Returns off my shelf, because that seemed like it would hit the spot and I've been wanting to re-read it for a long time now. I read a few pages and then realized reading comics wasn't gonna happen. The past week my mind just hasn't been up to focusing on stuff and my comics reading has suffered massively for it.

Also, since you're a horror fan, have you read any Hellblazer?

Oh damn, you've only went as far as Criminal? Well, (since you mentioned horror down the post) you really owe it to yourself to check out Fatale, it's really awesome. Should finally be getting hold of the final volume this week and cando a big full series read through/finish that. I really liked that first volume of Velvet too. Honestly man, the only thing I've read by him that I didn't have much love for in the independent space is Incognito, and mostly just volume 2 at that. Maybe I've been in an off mood the times I've tried but I just never felt it. Bru can mostly do no wrong in my eyes though.

You know, I probably haven't read nearly as much Hellblazer as I'd like (or should have). I read two or three volumes of Milligan's run I think ,starting at Scab. I liked them for what they were but they felt very threat of the week. I really want to dig into the older more seminal stuff at some point. Plus, who needs John COnstantine when you can give Hellboy a ring ;)

There was an good article about how artists translate the script to the art, with a Secret Avengers example for Michael Walsh

620.jpg

620.jpg

Is kinda cool how Walsh does this one though, instead of quick left to right close-up panels of the fight, he actually draws the cliff they're standing on(which sets up the next page of Lady Bullseye getting hit off the cliff by a jeep) and draws the panel descriptsions in silhouttes getting closer to the cliffside.

620.jpg

Nonetheless, he seems to exhabit a lot of thought and control into staging and pacing these things, compared to say...Felipe Smith

640.jpg

"script shipped, paycheck cashed baby"

620.jpg

Zombine

Banned
There was an good article about how artists translate the script to the art, with a Secret Avengers example for Michael Walsh

620.jpg

620.jpg

Is kinda cool how Walsh does this one though, instead of quick left to right close-up panels of the fight, he actually draws the cliff they're standing on(which sets up the next page of Lady Bullseye getting hit off the cliff by a jeep) and draws the panel descriptsions in silhouttes getting closer to the cliffside.

620.jpg

Nonetheless, he seems to exhabit a lot of thought and control into staging and pacing these things, compared to say...Felipe Smith

640.jpg

"script shipped, paycheck cashed baby"

620.jpg

This is some wonderful stuff. As someone who is currently working on scripting out multiple
Books, it's nice to see that I'm on the right track.

It must kind of be a pain in the ass to draw an Alan Moore comic. Dudes scripts look painful to go through. I imagine Morrison would be fun to work with. He seems more like a collaborator. I think he tends to get as much as possible from a artist

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
This is some wonderful stuff. As someone who is currently working on scripting out multiple
Books, it's nice to see that I'm on the right track.

Yeah, a Golden Rule should be Never Write Like Felipe. Also, please man, if you ain't pulling off some magical shit, avoid cliches. Also Also, serial commas, my dude.

fauxtrot

Banned
Tyrant: I'm finally sending your package out, but I don't have your real name, so look out for something to "T. Rave"!

edit - It'll be there by Saturday. :)

Vyer

I just got my The New Adventures of Batman figure today, and all I can say is one word:

Wow.

If I had to make a comparison to other figures, this falls firmly in between the Takara Transformers Masterpiece figures, and the Star Wars Black line. The attention to detail is incredible, the plastic quality is high, all the extra hands, the extra cape, and the sturdy base with the production art on it just completely rounds out the figure and it's definitely a highlight of my collection.

I need this entire line now.

I had the opposite reaction. Whole thing felt kind of cheap to me. My LCS even had like six figures and there were paint/scuffing issues with all of them. :(

Zombine

Banned
I had the opposite reaction. Whole thing felt kind of cheap to me. My LCS even had like six figures and there were paint/scuffing issues with all of them. :(

I think Korrupt loves his, my looks great. I have zero joint issues with mine as well.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yooo, I met Kelley Jones on Sunday at Sac-Con and he was super nice... got a signed print and we talked Batman a little bit. Huzzah!

Oh awesome! Glad to hear it!
Which print did you get?
Also, how was Capcom Cup?

Wow.

Man, I wish those weren't $25 each. Those are pretty sweet.

TMNT Deluxe Editions incoming:

I've been looking forward to that for months now. Ever since I read the micro series when I got it from the library which was SO GOOD.

Oh damn, you've only went as far as Criminal? Well, (since you mentioned horror down the post) you really owe it to yourself to check out Fatale, it's really awesome. Should finally be getting hold of the final volume this week and cando a big full series read through/finish that. I really liked that first volume of Velvet too. Honestly man, the only thing I've read by him that I didn't have much love for in the independent space is Incognito, and mostly just volume 2 at that. Maybe I've been in an off mood the times I've tried but I just never felt it. Bru can mostly do no wrong in my eyes though.

You know, I probably haven't read nearly as much Hellblazer as I'd like (or should have). I read two or three volumes of Milligan's run I think ,starting at Scab. I liked them for what they were but they felt very threat of the week. I really want to dig into the older more seminal stuff at some point. Plus, who needs John COnstantine when you can give Hellboy a ring ;)

Well, I've read Brubaker's Captain America, but Criminal is the only creator-owned stuff of his I've read. And glad to hear you like Fatale! I've read mostly negative stuff about it, but the concept really appeals to me, so it's nice to hear that you've enjoyed it. I'll probably grab the first OHC sometime soon and check it out. And I've heard really great things about Velvet from this thread, so I'm already planning to pick up the OHCs from that whenever they come out.

And I just started reading Hellblazer from the beginning pretty recently (grabbed the first 3 trades), and it's really great stuff. I'd definitely recommend picking up at least the first Jamie Delano trade. It's really, really solid stuff. I think you'd probably enjoy it.
But yeah, good point about Hellboy. Haha. I have the second Library Edition on my shelf that I've only read a tiny bit of so far. It's the one with all of the short stories, so I've just been reading one or two of the stories at a time here and there.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah, joints seem fine though I don't know they're needed much, poseability doesn't seem very high on it.

Yeah, it's not like you'll get revoltech levels of posibility, but the hand options are great, and they all come with a lot of accessories. It's funny you mentioned that though...because I put the second cape on him which restricts his arms more.

My LCS has the original Harley figure from the Batman and Robin line... is it easy to come by in the package?

Man that's trash. Just buy it and I'll take it off your hands. Also, download the Dark Horse app because it's better than Comixology.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just a reminder to everyone:
Stranger in Paradise book club starts on the 19th. The thread will be posted tomorrow.

Yo, damn good lists guys. Jeez. I'm always kicking myself in the ass because for budget reasons, I had to drop Zero along with a few others a while back and I'm really starting to regret it; was really enjoying it. Is it really that good?

Just a reminder to everyone:
Stranger in Paradise book club starts on the 19th. The thread will be posted tomorrow.
I actually might get in on that. I've been wanting to read it for a while now but have always been too lazy :/

tim1138

That was a great article, thanks for sharing.

Those TMNT trades are awful. The Deluxe HC's will fix that problem.

I would love to see him do one of those DC style Directors Cut issues for Zero, with the script and pencils and annotations.

Yo, damn good lists guys. Jeez. I'm always kicking myself in the ass because for budget reasons, I had to drop Zero along with a few others a while back and I'm really starting to regret it; was really enjoying it. Is it really that good?

Not only is Zero that good, it's better than that good.

Ok, here is my top 10 of 2014. Writing long descriptions down is not my thing but I try to put some thoughts down.

Nice list man, didn't realize you were reading Aquaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom