• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
As much as I didn't like Scarlet Spiders #1, #2 was a step-up.
And choosing who gets top spot between Batman and Robin and Batman was super hard.

itPuMo7.png

fertygo

LTTTP, but Alex Maleev's art is really boring after awhile.. main reason I haven't finished Bendis's Daredevil.

Its very tiresome looking the art to how un-animated the art it is, like looking at to statue.

Samnee's work is far more fun to read as comic.

MG310

Axis or how many times can one man declare "Well, it doesn't serve my interests"

Largest Midtown shipment I've had in a few months...at least I think they are shipping it this week.

All-New Captain America #2 Cover A Regular Stuart Immonen Cover
Avengers & X-Men AXIS #8 Cover A Regular Jim Cheung Cover
Batman Vol 2 #37 Cover A Regular Greg Capullo Cover
Black Widow Vol 5 #13
Captain Marvel Vol 7 #10
Illustration Magazine #46
Kitchen #2
Ms Marvel Vol 3 #10
Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman #5
Wicked + The Divine #6 Cover A Regular Matthew Wilson Cover
Harley Quinn Holiday Special #1 Cover B Variant Amanda Conner New Years Eve Cover
Secret Six Vol 4 #1 Cover B Variant Blank Cover
Harley Quinn Holiday Special #1 Cover A Regular Amanda Conner Christmas Cover
Avengers & X-Men AXIS #9 Cover A Regular Jim Cheung Cover
Daredevil Vol 4 #11
Harley Quinn Vol 2 #13 Cover A Regular Amanda Conner Cover
Magneto Vol 3 #13
She-Hulk Vol 3 #11

I resisted the Cooke covers...might still grab Batman and Aquaman at some point.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
As much as I didn't like Scarlet Spiders #1, #2 was a step-up.
And choosing who gets top spot between Batman and Robin and Batman was super hard.

itPuMo7.png

I forgot how amazing that B&R cover is. I really, really want a print of that.

HNNNNNNGH.

Whaaat. What is that!? That's too good.

Actually, I think one of my friends has the first trade or volume so I should be able to start along with you guys!

Awesome!

Any thoughts on Rumble #1?
I liked it,, good first issue left me wanting more and wondering what's going to happen next.

Zero #13 was bad ass.. That fight scene was great,, left me with a grin on my face.

tim1138

Man, y'all weren't kidding about the Wake. I'm halfway through it and the writing is bad. If it wasn't for Sean Murphy's art, it'd already be back at the library.

Huh. Supergirl is actually pretty good. It certainly helps that Based Goddess Lupacchino graces its unworthy pages with the feast of ambrosia that is her gorgeous artwork.

Also, they found a way to use fucking
Maxima
, lol.

Also, also, backdoor
Superboy
story telling.

tim1138

This list is no particular order except for the last book which was my favorite of the year and should surprise absolutely no one. I was going to include panels or pages but I’m way too lazy so deal with it.

Zero - Ales Kot, Clayton Cowles, Jordie Bellaire, and friends
I’ve said a number of times that this is the single best comic being published and I stand by that statement. Kot spins a tale of war, spycraft, and more importantly humanity and compassion. The violence is personal and brutal and the book can and will take a lot out of you reading it, but it’s better for it. War and violence should be hard to read about and shouldn’t be glorified in a throwaway manner to move plots along. Some of the best issues are the ones where Kot steps away and lets the art team tell the story with very minimal dialog or narration.

Astro City - Kurt Busiek, Brent Anderson
I never talk about Astro City but that’s no knock against it’s quality, month in and month out Busiek and Anderson tell great stories not only about the heroes of the city, but more importantly the citizens of Astro City. The heros are clearly derived from existing properties and tweaked to fit into Busiek’s universe, but they are not the main draw. Yes it was fascinating to finally read the origins of Winged Victory and her struggle against being framed but it was just as (if not more) interesting to read about a day in the life of the Silver Adept’s (a merger of Zatanna and Dr. Stranger) personal assistant. Busiek and Anderson have been telling the stories of Astro City off and on for nearly twenty years, and comics are better for it.

The Multiversity - Grant Morrison and friends
Forever in the making, Multiversity is Morrison’s ultimate love letter to superhero stories. WIth the help of a handpicked team of superstar artists, Morrison spins a yarn that covers the entire DC Multiverse. An incursion is attacking with the hopes of homogenizing and wiping out the multitude of Earths and only a multiversal Justice League can take it down! Each issue is a one off love letter to a specific era and type of comic story yet all are linked by the overarching narrative of the threat of the Gentry and a haunted comic book.

God Hates Astronauts - Ryan Browne
Crude, juvenile, derivative, and oh yeah, absolutely hilarious. Starting life as a webcomic (check out the first volume for free! www.godhatesastronauts.com), Image saw the mad genius of this title and gave Browne a shot to put it out monthly. With characters like King Tiger Eating a Cheeseburger, 3-D Cowboy, and Astro-Farmers, GHA is pretty much what would happen if I ever made a comic book. Month in and month out nothing makes me laugh like this book.

Aquaman - Jeff Parker and Paul Pelletier
Parker had pretty big shoes to fill on this, taking over for Geoff Johns after his two year run on the book, and he has passed with flying colors. Pulling back from the larger world building themes Johns built his run on, Parker has told smaller, more personal stories. His run has also been a lot of fun, he’s had Arthur drift with a kaiju, go to this high school reunion with Mera, fight Swamp Thing, fight Hercules, and now is investigating the history of Atlantis and his mother. All the while Mera is ruling Atlantis in Arthur’s stead (this book could honestly be titled Aquaman/Mera, it’s usually split 50/50 between the two).

Silver Surfer - Dan Slott and Mike Allred
This is easily the most fun book Marvel is currently publishing. Slott and Allred send the Surfer and Dawn throughout the universe, meeting all sorts of crazy characters and bizarre locations and they pull it off with aplumb. Allred combines pop art sensibilities with 60’s Kirby to make the universe a wonderful, living, breathing place. Slott has made Dawn a great character, and aside from being the eyes and ears of the reader, she is truly the heart and soul of the book.

Green Arrow - Jeff Lemire, Andrea Sorrentino, and Marcelo Maiolo
This only covers the excellent Lemire/Sorrentino run, I haven’t touched the book since the new team took over. Lemire did a wonderful job reinterpreting classic characters and ideas and making them feel new and fresh. Month in and month out Sorrentino delivered a visual tour de force with amazing use of panels and layouts that was all tied together by Maiolo’s brilliant colors. This was probably my favorite Green Arrow run this side of the old Denny O’Neill Green Lantern/Green Arrow comics.

That’s Because You’re a Robot - David Quantick and Shaky Kane
An absolutely ridiculous one shot by Quantick and Shaky Kane, it’s a buddy cop spoof set in the near future where one of the cops is a robot but they don’t know who. The only comic that has made me laugh more than this is God Hates Astronauts. Just read it, it’s $4 well spent.

Annihilator - Grant Morrison and Frazier Irving
Morrison’s tale of a screenwriter dealing with a inoperable brain tumor while writing a movie about a character stranded on a space station orbiting a massive black hole. Oh and the fictional character comes to the real world to ensure the writer finishes the story so he can find out if he lives or dies and the universe is saved. Pretty standard, heady fare from Morrison. As always Frazier Irving’s art is absolutely breathtaking. If you can read this digitally on a super high res screen, do it, this comic could be used as exhibit A for why digital is the future of the industry.

Manhattan Projects - Jonathan Hickman and Nick Pitarra
I’ve waxed poetic about this book so much that I don’t think I have anything else to say. It’s been my favorite comic since it started in 2012 and if you don’t like it you’re dead to me.

Other stuff I enjoyed this year:

Justice League - Geoff Johns and friends
Justice League 3000 - Keith Giffen, JM DeMatteis, and Howard Porter
Rocket Raccoon - Skottie Young
Captain Marvel - Kelly Sue DeConnick and David Lopez
She-Hulk - Charles Soule and Javier Pulido
Mind MGMT - Matt Kindt
The Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw - Kurt Busiek, Benjamin Dewey, and Jordie Bellaire
Moon Knight - Warren Ellis, Declan Shalvey, and Jordie Bellaire
Intersect - Ray Fawkes
Black Canary/Zatanna: Bloodspell - Paul Dini and Joe Quinones
The People Inside - Ray Fawkes
Seconds - Bryan Lee O’Malley and Nathan Fairbairn
Magneto - Cullen Bunn and Gabriel Hernandez Walta
Trillium - Jeff Lemire
Gotham by Midnight - Ray Fawkes and Ben Templesmith
Batman and Robin - Peter Tomasi and Pat Gleason
Sex Criminals - Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky

Man, y'all weren't kidding about the Wake. I'm halfway through it and the writing is bad. If it wasn't for Sean Murphy's art, it'd already be back at the library.
I haven't read that but I thought it was funny how the Comixology tumblr listed it as the Best Limited Series of 2014 after hearing mostly negative things about it lol

I haven't read that but I thought it was funny how the Comixology tumblr listed it as the Best Limited Series of 2014 after hearing mostly negative things about it lol

It also won the Eisner for best Limited Series. I don't think its bad, just the weakest of Scott Snyders writing. His Batman, AmpVamp, and Wytches are all top tier. Every writer has some duds.

Edit - Nice list Tim!

It also won the Eisner for best Limited Series. I don't think its bad, just the weakest of Scott Snyders writing. His Batman, AmpVamp, and Wytches are all top tier. Every writer has some duds.

Jury is still out on Wytches. It's only three issues in, which I feel is a bit too early to judge a new series. We'll see how it is when the first arc is done.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
This list is no particular order except for the last book which was my favorite of the year and should surprise absolutely no one. I was going to include panels or pages but I’m way too lazy so deal with it.

Awesome list, tim! Definitely enjoying reading these year-end lists and understanding why people love these books. Also, you've totally gotten at least a few people into Manhattan Projects, so hopefully this helps even more of comics-gaf to get onboard.

tim1138

Edit - Nice list Tim!

Awesome list, tim! Definitely enjoying reading these year-end lists and understanding why people love these books. Also, you've totally gotten at least a few people into Manhattan Projects, so hopefully this helps even more of comics-gaf to get onboard.

Thanks guys. As time consuming as these lists are, I really enjoy making them and thinking about the stuff I've read. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone elses.

Spider-Woman gets new costume.

SpiderWoman_JavierRodriguez.jpg

Marvel chasing that Batgirl money. I like it.

It is about time she got a new costume, her old costume was awful. Especially the yellow bit in the middle that was basically an arrow leading to her crotch.

I liked the old look too, but I welcome change. I liked the old Ms. Marvel but absolutely love her new design, and this one reflects that same freshness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom