• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don Rosa's The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, Vol. 1: Artist's Edition HC
Don Rosa (w & a & c)
Don Rosa is the universally acclaimed Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge creator and artistic heir to the remarkable legacy of the "Good Duck" artist, Carl Barks. Now, with the full cooperation and assistance of Rosa, IDW Publishing is proud to present the first volume of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. Included in this edition will be a cover gallery and a selection of Rosa's layouts done for these stories.
HC • BW • $95.00 net discount item • 160 Pages • 14" x 20" • ISBN: 978-1-63140-301-9
• Advance-solicited for April release!

!!!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The IDW Collection, Vol. 1
Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman, Brian Lynch, Eirk Burnham (w) • Dan Duncan, Mateus Santolouco, Franco Urru, Andy Kuhn, Valerio Schiti, Ross Campbell, Charles Paul Wilson III (a) • Dan Duncan (c)
IDW's re-launch of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been a hit with fans and critics alike. Now, collect the series in all-new oversized hardcovers that present the stories in recommended reading order. Collects the first 12 issues of the new ongoing series plus the Raphael, Michelangelo, Donatello, Leonardo, and Splinter Micro-Series one-shots spliced in between.
HC • FC • $49.99 • 384 pages • 7" x 11" • ISBN: 978-1-63140-111-4
• "IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles perfectly balances complex characters, intricate plots, and incredible action to make a comic that even a non-TMNT fan would enjoy...and if you are a fan of the franchise, there's no reason for you to be skipping this book. It might very well be the best run of TMNT comics ever produced." –Adventures In Poor Taste

And I think some on here were waiting for the TMNT collection too.

Tendo

OK, I'm confused if I am understanding something correctly. If I activate marvel sync and buy a comic on the digital Marvel store can I download and read it from Comixology on my Tablet? Or am I misunderstanding Marvel Sync?

Wiktor

I wonder if there is a writer or piece of work that is universally loved in this community.

Nope. Even more broadly, there's no writer of piece of work in any community like that. If you go to Goodreads you will find 7,5 thousand people gave 1 star reviews to Macbeth :D

GAMEPROFF

Banned
OK, I'm confused if I am understanding something correctly. If I activate marvel sync and buy a comic on the digital Marvel store can I download and read it from Comixology on my Tablet? Or am I misunderstanding Marvel Sync?
You should rather use the Marvel App, since you can buy directly through it, but yes, basicly you understood it right ;)

Tendo

You should rather use the Marvel App, since you can buy directly through it, but yes, basicly you understood it right ;)

Ok cool. I prefer using the Comixology App and started reading Captain Marvel and saw they had a few issues on sale cheaper than Comixology.

But now Comixology is saying my marvel info is incorrect...Neat...

Nope. Even more broadly, there's no writer of piece of work in any community like that. If you go to Goodreads you will find 7,5 thousand people gave 1 star reviews to Macbeth :D

That's what I was thinking. My ego gets in the way sometimes. I read what Filthy and others have been saying about Snyder and I am completely dumbfounded. I do not even remotely agree and I have to tell myself everyone is different. The Internet, the one place my ego has not been fully tamed.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That's what I was thinking. My ego gets in the way sometimes. I read what Filthy and others have been saying about Snyder and I am completely dumbfounded. I do not even remotely agree and I have to tell myself everyone is different. The Internet, the one place my ego has not been fully tamed.

But we can all agree on Sex Criminals, right?

The sooner you learn to live with the fact that there is somebody, somewhere, who hates the thing you love passionately, the happier you will be.

The sooner you learn to live with the fact that there is somebody, somewhere, who hates the thing you love passionately, the happier you will be.

The embodiment of my ego.

108212_0.jpg

[Jake leave with Alonzo's pay-off for the Russian Mob.] What? Oh no you didn't. Wait a minute, no you didn't, aye aye Jake! Hey! Jake! Jake! Jake! Come back here! Jake! You disloyal fool-ass bitch-made-punk. Jake! I need my money! Jake! Awwww, you motherfuckers. Okay. Alright. I'm putting cases on all of you bitches! Huh. You think you can do this shit. Jake! You think you can do this to me?! You motherfuckers will be playin' basketball in Pelican Bay when I get finished with you! SHU program, nigga. 23 hour lockdown! I'm the man up in this piece! You'll never see the light of - who the fuck do you think you're fuckin' with? I'm the police, I run shit here. You just live here! Yeah, that's right, you better walk away! Go on and walk away, 'cause I'm gonna burn this motherfucker down. King Kong ain't got shit on me! That's right, that's right. Shit, I don't fuck. I'm winnin' anyway, I'm winnin.' I'm winnin' any motherfuckin' way, I can't lose. Shit, you can shoot me, but you can't kill me. Hahahahaha, shit! Haha, oh what a day! What a motherfucking day! Haha, hahaha.

Drayco21

I don't know if it's Snyder's writing, or if I actually just hate reading his Joker (or Joker in general).

I haven't read a ton of Snyder stuff, but I though Court of Owls was pretty good, and I thought Zero Year was phenomenal. His Swamp-Thing was really good too, at least before Rotworld, where I kind of lost the thread and fell behind on DC books. I don't know how much of it is Snyder, but Batman Eternal has quickly cemented itself as a personal favorite Bat-book.

I thought Death of the Family was hot garbage all the way through, though, and End Game has been a huge step down that I'm thinking about dropping.

tim1138

I've been hoping for an updated costume for a long time now and while I like the concept, this is fugly as hell.

This is what they should've aimed for

d4uxgsi.jpg

Why is Captain Marvel wearing a leather jacket? Isn't her actual costume some kind of Kree armor that is able to withstand being in space and such?

Owzers

Thor #1: I can't overcome the stupidity of the Fury unworthy-making whisper. It's very prevalent at the end of the first series and the beginning of this one, making me think it's all bullshit and keeps me from giving the book a fair chance. I'd list a random score here, but instead of typing it i whispered it out of ten.

fauxtrot

Banned
I've been hoping for an updated costume for a long time now and while I like the concept, this is fugly as hell.

This is what they should've aimed for

d4uxgsi.jpg

Haha, no offense but if they'd have gone for that shit, people would have rightfully called Marvel out for ripping off dat Batgirl style. I mean, seriously... that's some blatant ass style swiping.

I liked the general idea of Spider-Woman's constume, but when they give her massive jugs and make her suit look like it was painted on for a Sports Illustrated calendar, it feels so very dated. The new one is way too Kate Bishop for my liking, and I worry that too many female characters will end up with costumes that ape this style (that is now becoming a trend) and we'll all wonder why it was popular in 10 years. Unfortunately, this happens with most great ideas.

Back to my point, I'd have liked a modern alteration to her current look rather than giving her street clothes, sunglasses, and that ugly ass emblem on her jacket.

Messi

Thor #1: I can't overcome the stupidity of the Fury unworthy-making whisper. It's very prevalent at the end of the first series and the beginning of this one, making me think it's all bullshit and keeps me from giving the book a fair chance. I'd list a random score here, but instead of typing it i whispered it out of ten.

I thought it was fantastic personally. Same with issue 2.

fauxtrot

Banned
Thor has been great since the "reboot"... I personally think Aaron needed something to shake things up in order to try and get the book closer to the quality of his first Thor arc (but I'm not silly enough to think that this is why he and Marvel did it).

I got a book token (yes, they still exist) as an early Christmas present. I went to the bookstore yesterday and I had the Original Sin collection in my hand, but I bought Ms. Marvel: No Normal and the Lazarus collection instead. I feel I did good.

Got the second CC of Uncanny X-Force as well. Feels great to have the whole run.

Messi

I got a book token (yes, they still exist) as an early Christmas present. I went to the bookstore yesterday and I had the Original Sin collection in my hand, but I bought Ms. Marvel: No Normal and the Lazarus collection instead. I feel I did good.

Got the second CC of Uncanny X-Force as well. Feels great to have the whole run.

You done well. Avoided a real turkey there...

I liked the general idea of Spider-Woman's constume, but when they give her massive jugs and make her suit look like it was painted on for a Sports Illustrated calendar, it feels so very dated.

At the very least they need to ditch the boobs socks. Honestly, it's hard to believe that boob socks are still a thing.

ElNarez

Banned
If we're all going at it, I'm gonna break you off with a lil' preview of the shit I liked in 2014.

THE SHIT I LIKED THE MOST IN 2014

Avengers/New Avengers (Hickman/Various) - Few people write shit steadily getting realer and realer as well as Hickman, and his year on Avengers, culminating in the timeskip and building to what we now know will be a new Secret Wars, got WAY THE FUCK REAL. And it's only getting realer.

X-Force (Si Spurrier/Various) - And speaking of way the fuck real stuff, X-Force, the weirdo X-Book for weirdos, started as a very lean and very mean action book, but, much like X-Men Legacy, became a character study of very broken people, with a dash of realpolitik mixed in for good measure.

Ms. Marvel (G. Willow Wilson/Various) - Cute all-ages book bringing much-needed diversity and heart to Big Two Cape Comics, and we need more of that.

Saga (Brian K. Vaughn/Fiona Staples) - it's goddamn Saga, still being Saga, everyone likes Saga

Southern Bastards (Jason Aaron/Jason Latour) - Aaron and Latour, two southern boys, write a mean tale about assholes living under the Mason-Dixon line. Few comics created as good a sense of place this year. It's fucking great.

Sex Criminals (Matt Fraction/Chop Chop Master Onion) - It's a tale of love, loaded with empathy, but mostly, it's a delivery mechanism for jokes about peeners, hoo-has, b-holes, and all the cool sex stuff, like Shrok, who, might I remind you, is like Shrek but purple and with dicks for ears. You can't beat that. But also, again, the characters and the empathy and the fun times. However: Shrok

Deadly Class (Rick Remender/Wes Craig) - I'm gonna use this entry to dump on the rest of Remender's output this year, because his Marvel books took the biggest goddamn nosedive, which came crashing with Axis, and I couldn't get into his other Image books. But Deadly Class, man. You had me at the part when the kid said he wanted to kill Ronald Reagan.

The Multiversity (Grant Morrison/Various) - Pax Americana is the best comic of the year, period. Also it happens to be part of Morrison's final grand statement on comics and their history, which, hey, that's neat. And if you just want Morrison going crazy, it's pretty good too, but not as much as.

Annihilator (Grant Morrison/Frazer Irving) - y'all already know how good that is. Man, Frazer Irving though. MAN.

Grayson (Tim Seeley/Tom King/Mikel Janin) - Spinning out of the second dumbest event of 2014 -it was first until Axis- Grayson just went for it hard every single issue. The sheer balls on Seeley, King and Janin for going this weird this often need to be saluted, because HOT DAMN.

And those are ten books, it's my top ten if you put numbers next to them at random, whatever.

If we're all going at it, I'm gonna break you off with a lil' preview of the shit I liked in 2014.

THE SHIT I LIKED THE MOST IN 2014

Avengers/New Avengers (Hickman/Various) - Few people write shit steadily getting realer and realer as well as Hickman, and his year on Avengers, culminating in the timeskip and building to what we now know will be a new Secret Wars, got WAY THE FUCK REAL. And it's only getting realer.

X-Force (Si Spurrier/Various) - And speaking of way the fuck real stuff, X-Force, the weirdo X-Book for weirdos, started as a very lean and very mean action book, but, much like X-Men Legacy, became a character study of very broken people, with a dash of realpolitik mixed in for good measure.

Ms. Marvel (G. Willow Wilson/Various) - Cute all-ages book bringing much-needed diversity and heart to Big Two Cape Comics, and we need more of that.

Saga (Brian K. Vaughn/Fiona Staples) - it's goddamn Saga, still being Saga, everyone likes Saga

Southern Bastards (Jason Aaron/Jason Latour) - Aaron and Latour, two southern boys, write a mean tale about assholes living under the Mason-Dixon line. Few comics created as good a sense of place this year. It's fucking great.

Sex Criminals (Matt Fraction/Chop Chop Master Onion) - It's a tale of love, loaded with empathy, but mostly, it's a delivery mechanism for jokes about peeners, hoo-has, b-holes, and all the cool sex stuff, like Shrok, who, might I remind you, is like Shrek but purple and with dicks for ears. You can't beat that. But also, again, the characters and the empathy and the fun times. However: Shrok

Deadly Class (Rick Remender/Wes Craig) - I'm gonna use this entry to dump on the rest of Remender's output this year, because his Marvel books took the biggest goddamn nosedive, which came crashing with Axis, and I couldn't get into his other Image books. But Deadly Class, man. You had me at the part when the kid said he wanted to kill Ronald Reagan.

The Multiversity (Grant Morrison/Various) - Pax Americana is the best comic of the year, period. Also it happens to be part of Morrison's final grand statement on comics and their history, which, hey, that's neat. And if you just want Morrison going crazy, it's pretty good too, but not as much as.

Annihilator (Grant Morrison/Frazer Irving) - y'all already know how good that is. Man, Frazer Irving though. MAN.

Grayson (Tim Seeley/Tom King/Mikel Janin) - Spinning out of the second dumbest event of 2014 -it was first until Axis- Grayson just went for it hard every single issue. The sheer balls on Seeley, King and Janin for going this weird this often need to be saluted, because HOT DAMN.

And those are ten books, it's my top ten if you put numbers next to them at random, whatever.

Good stuff ElNarez!

In a perfect world, there would be a Morrison/Stewart/Fairbairn Captain Marvel book every month, and it would be a delight you could share with everyone. An absolute good.

The best thing about Thunderworld is that it didn't feel the need to rebuild/re-imagine the characters for a new generation like the angsty unlikable Johns/Frank reboot or set in a real world like Alan Moore Miracleman, or approach the material with winking ironic detachment. There are little modern tweaks, like Billy Batson's live-streaming Internet show or giving Tawky Tawny and the other Lietenant Marvels jetpacks and lasers to fight back with. Its just a great, loving homage to CC. Beck/Parker/Binder's original works in a modern context. They all still work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom