• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1nZuuPz.gif
TYRANT RAVE’S GOOD COMIC LIST 2014
1nZuuPz.gif

no pretty pictures or long paragraphs, sorry guys
Superior Foes of Spider-Man - Literally a perfect run from start to finish. Spencer and Lieber knocked it out the park every month and nailed everything along the way. If you like good comics, you need to read this. No excuses.
Multiversity - I’m not going to go on because everyone else has done an excellent job on elaborating why this book rocks. This is a love letter to comics and I'm glad I get to read this as it releases.
Deadly Class - Remender’s best book of the year and I can’t praise it enough. The dialogue feels very personal and the artwork is seriously out of this world.
Sex Criminals - Funny, smart, and down to earth, Sex Crims is a good time no matter what. Fraction and Zdarsky can go from goofy sex jokes to some real-ass talk about depression and it feels so natural.
Hawkeye - Despite the excessive delays, this is still a fantastic book. I don’t have much to say except that I can’t wait for the next issue.
Uncanny Avengers - Big, epic, and dramatic. I was LTTP on this so I caught up via trades and this was such an addicting read.
Superman - Johns doing what he does best with some good art from JRJR. The first arc’s almost over and it’s been awesome.
Grayson - I was super skeptical when I first heard about this but this series has been such a treat. One of my favorite DC ongoings I never saw coming.
Harley Quinn - I love Amanda Conner and I like my girly hijinx so this book is right up my alley. The dialogue and antics are fun and zany and it’s a good book to read inbetween all of the serious books. The recent issues with Power Girl have been wonderful.
Black Canary/Zatanna: Bloodspell - A perfect OGN. Short and sweet and nothing but good times throughout. Highly recommended to anyone look for a quick read.

Honorable Mentions
Gotham Academy
New Warriors (RIP)
Low
Spider-Man 2099
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Seconds
Guardians 3000

1nZuuPz.gif
AXIS
1nZuuPz.gif

AXIS - People get inverted and shit gets real

1nZuuPz.gif
BEST COMICS I SHOULD HAVE READ SOONER
1nZuuPz.gif

Doom Patrol - I knew I would like this book but this was seriously one of the craziest things I’ve read. Morrison really made me care about this team of outcasts and rejects and every issue was engaging and mind-blowing. One of the best runs I have ever read and if you like Morrison’s work you have to read it.
Flex Mentallo
Batgirl (2009-2011)
Dan Slott’s She-Hulk
Casanova

1nZuuPz.gif
GAME OF THE YEAR
1nZuuPz.gif

Bayonetta 2 - Please play this game

and Spider-Woman redesign is just awful.

When did "modern redesign" translate into "boring as shit"

stop letting Kris Anka design things
I liked his redesigns on the all women x team but that design is boring. It looks like a regular get up which I still better than the previous costume. I wonder why Anka gets to design so many costumes.

Slayven

I tracked down this thread to say how terrible the redesign was. I seen awful costumes, I have full runs of Malibu comics, but this is one of the worse. As shitty as Drew is, she deserves better.

Drayco21

I tracked down this thread to say how terrible the redesign was. I seen awful costumes, I have full runs of Malibu comics, but this is one of the worse. As shitty as Drew is, she deserves better.

She's in a Hopeless/Land book, the generic new costume is the least of her current problems.

Splatt

I'm usually not a fan of Frazier Irving but his art on Annihilator is superb.

Sets the weird sci fi horror mood perfectly.

tim1138

Just finished reading the Wake, yeah that was a bunch of awful. I swear everything I've read by Snyder just falls apart at the end and this was no different. Random 3/10 solely for Murphy and Hollingsworth.

FWIW I actually really liked this week's issue the more I think about it. It kind of embraced how ridiculous it is and it was awesome.

That's pretty much how every dumb Marvel event goes for me. I finished up Original Sin recently and it started with a lot of potential and got so fucking stupid. By the time
Fury dons his Solidus Snake gear
I'm like "whatever, I don't have the energy to really hate this that much as long as it's fun."

Just finished reading the Wake, yeah that was a bunch of awful. I swear everything I've read by Snyder just falls apart at the end and this was no different. Random 3/10 solely for Murphy and Hollingsworth.

You got through all 10 issues?

I got to #3 where they were running from the monster and one of those Snyder trademark wikipedia exposition dumps stops any momentum the narrative had dead in its tracks. Couldn't get the damn double page spread, but it actually just keeps going

The_Wake_003_018.jpg

its like chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist nooooooooooo oneeeeeeeeeee caaaaaaaaaares

I'll post a list later, maybe, but in short All New Ultimates was comic of the year

also yeah i dipped out of The Wake after reading #1. boring as hell. I think i'd rather read Murphy's upcoming Millar collab

Spider-Woman gets new costume.

SpiderWoman_JavierRodriguez.jpg

Marvel chasing that Batgirl money. I like it.

heyyyy I like this a lot. Jacket + shades = so there. the colors, too!

speaking of ANU it's not dissimilar to the recent new Spider-Woman/Black Widow costume but no one read the book so

frye

I got to #3 where they were running from the monster and one of those Snyder trademark wikipedia exposition dumps stops any momentum the narrative had dead in its tracks. Couldn't get the damn double page spread, but it actually just keeps going

man, you dropped off quick. I remember you being super into it for a minute there when it was coming out.

PsychBat!

Banned
Hopeless is okay. I was close to putting Spider-Woman #2 on my top 5 image but the biggest con was LAND!

*slams my fist on my phone*

Boogiepop

Reread the first half of the initial Powers definitive collection last night. It's been a loooong time since I first read it, so it's essentially new to me. I'm definitely way too used to Bendis now, and yeah, there's just something off about a lot of the dialogue. In particular, I get that implication is that he's supposed to be kind of douchey, and he definitely seems to be a pretty terrible cop, but it still feels like everybody is way too harsh towards Kutter or whatever his name is way too quickly. And even if you ignore the whole internet angle that gets ignored, it's kind of bad that two detectives can't figure out to follow up on something so blatant without a little girl telling them. Oh, and a surprising number of typos made it into the final book. Plus there's the whole thing with a handful of text bubbles getting partially eaten by the center of the book.

Still enjoyed it though and look forward to reading the rest of what I own. It just may not be quite as amazing as I remembered it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

The_Wake_003_018.jpg

Brutal. Kind of like Joker's recent Wiki-dump. It's a shame that the dude's tics and inability to stick a landing make me question any book with his name on it. I think somewhere in there, there's a solid writer, but dude needs a writer's retreat and an editor with the balls to say "hey, I fell asleep during this awful part where you explained obscure 3rd century synonyms for Byzantine toilets."

Brutal. Kind of like Joker's recent Wiki-dump. It's a shame that the dude's tics and inability to stick a landing make me question any book with his name on it. I think somewhere in there, there's a solid writer, but dude needs a writer's retreat and an editor with the balls to say "hey, I fell asleep during this awful part where you explained obscure 3rd century synonyms for Byzantine toilets."

iunno

zero year has one of the most stuck landings in comics history

man, you dropped off quick. I remember you being super into it for a minute there when it was coming out.

I blame Sean Murphy and Matt Hollingsworth. I just love that combo so much. Hoping Tokyo Ghost is better for me.

that and that Mark Millar book Chrononauts, which I hope is not too Mark Millar-ish so I can read it and not, like, want to die.

So I recently read the entirety of "Scalped" because I'm currently a southern bastards fan and I must say i really enjoyed it. Very character driven, with a real cinematic quality to it. Sometimes the art was a bit inconsistent to me, and I wasn't a fan of the character development of some of the side characters happened essentially in this little bubble that didn't have much to do with the plot. Also I don't know how I feel about the happy ending fakeout, I think that last wrap-up arc went on too long. But still I would highly recommend it

tim1138

The_Wake_003_018.jpg

I suffered for the art. It gets much worse from there, halfway through it jumps like 300 years in the future and then ends with
because aliens!
and you spend 20 minutes wondering why you wasted two hours of your life reading it.

This is one of those posts where I wonder if you and I are the same person.

tim1138

I blame Sean Murphy and Matt Hollingsworth. I just love that combo so much. Hoping Tokyo Ghost is better for me.

that and that Mark Millar book Chrononauts, which I hope is not too Mark Millar-ish so I can read it and not, like, want to die.

We all know those brahs in Chrononauts are gonna rape their way across pre-Colonial America but we'll all give it a shot because Murphy/Hollingsworth.

I think somewhere in there, there's a solid writer, but dude needs a writer's retreat and an editor with the balls to say "hey, I fell asleep during this awful part where you explained obscure 3rd century synonyms for Byzantine toilets."

This is kind of something Snyder is now aware of. At a panel, Snyder himself brought up the fact that a column on 4th Letter by David Brothers woke him up:

"David Brothers called Scott Snyder out in a post on always starting stories with nostalgic tales, something Scott had never realised, so he hired David as his editor when he found he was working at Image."

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
iunno

zero year has one of the most stuck landings in comics history
I don't agree at all, man. I was fully on-board with Zero Year most of the way, but the entire last issue (and probably the penultimate one as well) was a mess for me. Lots of ideas vying for space, none of them really getting the amount of development/exposure they need to feel right (like the electro-therapy), and an ending that I think lacked any emotional impact because Snyder's Bats stories are kind of formulaic at this point.

This is kind of something Snyder is now aware of. At a panel, Snyder himself brought up the fact that a column on 4th Letter by David Brothers woke him up:
That's actually awesome and makes me excited for his future Image joints (as long as they ain't horror.). I think it's understandable for writers to develop tics, but Snyder's were just mercilessly drowning everything I was reading by him.

I suffered for the art. It gets much worse from there, halfway through it jumps like 300 years in the future and then ends with
because aliens!
and you spend 20 minutes wondering why you wasted two hours of your life reading it.

This is one of those posts where I wonder if you and I are the same person.
Haha--I definitely used to love Snyder, and I still think Black Mirror is a great fucking story, but nowadays, I don't really care about his work outside of Batman, and even that's mostly for Capullo.

frye

"David Brothers called Scott Snyder out in a post on always starting stories with nostalgic tales, something Scott had never realised, so he hired David as his editor when he found he was working at Image."

I think what complicates things is that (I'm 90% sure) Snyder read that article way back in 2011.

He seems like a ridiculously nice dude but a lot of who he is as a writer has been codified now, which makes sense because he's been insanely successful with it. But that also means I can't really fuck with his stuff for the long run, no matter how much I like the people he works with.

Filthy Slug

I wonder if there is a writer or piece of work that is universally loved in this community.

Hawkeye? Like, everybody goes "fuck this wait and fuck that lazy ass Aja" and then they get the issue and go "Praise be, Aja!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom