• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hey, Rumble # 1 is pretty damn good. Don't know much yet, but the world is interesting and it got a laugh out of me. Also, this is definitely my first time hearing of James Harren and I really like his style. Fights/action scenes are super kinetic and great, from what little I've seen of his work.
888rlt.jpg

Hey, Rumble # 1 is pretty damn good. Don't know much yet, but the world is interesting and it got a laugh out of me. Also, this is definitely my first time hearing of James Harren and I really like his style. Fights/action scenes are super kinetic and great, from what little I've seen of his work.

so what you're saying is you don't read BPRD

BPRD-117-James-Harren.jpg

filthy pls

I really need to take the plunge and get into Hellboy and all that jazz one day

And off-topic but these new rollover ads on GAF are killing me

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

filthy pls

Not gonna front, I've read ZERO Hellboy and Hellboy related books. But, man, that shit looks great, and I'm just sitting here looking over Rumble pages following the pretty impeccable action, and I can't afford crazy expensive collections right now, so maybe the library will have some BPRD?

Nudull

Banned
Don't have a concrete top 10 of 2014 yet, but most hyped of 2015?
1. Bitch Planet (the rest of it)
2. Jem and the Holograms
3. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
4. Howard the Duck
5. Spider-Gwen
6. Archie 2015
7. Marvel Star Wars
8. Clean Room
9. The Fly: Outbreak
10. Secret Wars (please be better than Axis)

frye

Not gonna front, I've read ZERO Hellboy and Hellboy related books. But, man, that shit looks great, and I'm just sitting here looking over Rumble pages following the pretty impeccable action, and I can't afford crazy expensive collections right now, so maybe the library will have some BPRD?

I'm in a similar boat but neither the first BPRD hardcover nor the first Hellboy tpb made me want to stick with it. I remember dudes praising The Long Death left and right (that's the James Harren one with some crazy fight scenes) and I'm sitting here like :(((

most hyped 2k15?

Chrononauts
8house
The Morgan Jeske thing with words by Nick Spencer
Liefeld's The Brigade
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Silk
Nameless
From Under Mountains
Descender
Howard the Duck

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
2015 hypefest, in order of my memory:

Nameless (Morrison)
Descender (Lemire)
The Black Hammer (Lemire)
The Black Beetle: Necrologue (Francavilla)
Tokyo Ghost (Remender)
The Dying and the Dead (Hickman)
Injection (Ellis)
Frankenstein Underground (Mignola)

and so many more.

He's phenomenal. He even owns weird little quiet moments. Check out what he does this dude's hand:

V6jXKEz.jpg

I wasn't joking when I said it. Most dynamic cartoonist alive. No one else can do what he did even in that little panel. He is a perfect artist.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
In other news, the last of my BF orders rolled in.

That Dark Horse Luke Skywalker collection is gorgeous. Even if the comic turns out to be Bendis GOTG quality, it'll still be worth it.

Woo! Martha Washington!

Also, wow. I did not know that Luke Skywalker hardcover existed. Definitely let us know how that is. I haven't read any Star Wars comics, so a Greatest Hits would be really cool if it's actually good.

That's just nuts. I've never seen more energetic cartooning.

Three issues in, and Strangers in Paradise is already stealing my heart. This is the type of girly hijinks I wish we got more of.

I posted more initial impressions in our first ever ComicsGAF Book Club thread!

I'm really looking forward to reading it! My day is too busy today though, so I gotta figure out where I can squeeze in the comics reading. Worst case scenario, I'll read six issues tomorrow. I should be able to get my reading in somewhere though.

I've been looking through other top 10 lists and I think i've got my top 5 for sure

5. Sex Crims
4. Wicked + Divine
3. Ms. Marvel
2. Southern Bastards
1. Multiversity

I love each of these books more than is reasonable and I dont like having to rank them against eachother.

I feel like Multiversity is "important." Not that it's going to change the comic industry or anything like that but every issue I read I feel like there's so much that can be discussed and talked about and elaborated on and built from the issue.

I read Southern Bastards #5 at work and had no where to vent but I was so fucking angry. I haven't ever reacted like that to anything I've read and I had to get up and walk around to calm down.

InstockTrades is pretty awesome.
They messaged me telling me that Y The Last Man vol 2 was not in stock,,
I sweet talked them a little and they put on Blacksad HC ($3 more no charge)..
AND they said Vol 2 is out of print, DC is going to be printing a newer bigger edition with volume 1 and 2, and IST said they will also give me a discount on that book since I couldn't get vol 2.

Hi,

We can do that. We have waived the price difference of $2.90 and your order will be packaged today. Also, DC got back to us and said that although that version of Y The Last Man Vol. 02 will not be reprinted, the new larger Vol. 01 contains what the old Vols. 1-2 contained. If you want to buy that at some point, we can get you a few extra dollars off. Those few dollars and the waived $2.90 for Blacksad will help offset having to essentially buy the material from the old Vol. 01 again. Does that make sense?

Thank you for your business! We appreciate it!

Thanks,

Cameron

DCBS

Messi

I'm considering getting Thor, Black Widow and Iron Man Hot toys from ultron. Possibly Scarlet witch if she looks good.

Hey Birdie or JC, what's the easiest way to get BPRD? I was just looking it up and wow, there are a lot of trades.

Get the Plague of Frogs collections for start.

Unfortunately, DH has a terrible trade pricing setup so it's going to be super expensive to catch up on BPRD: Hell on Earth (the follow up to Plague of Frogs) in trades. It's actually cheaper, IIRC, to buy single issues.

Also, more bad news, you should really get
All of Abe Sapien
All of Lobster Johnson
All of Witchfinder
All of Sledgehammer 44

There won't be Hell on Earth omnibuses for probably five or six years.
There won't ever be BPRD 194X omnibuses, probably, which are also essential and incredible.

So, bad news, you are now poor.

Tizoc

Someone give me a rundown on WTF happened in Batman 37, ish was...too boring for me to bother to understand it =_=

Batman & Robin 37 was...lulzy.

Rumble was the J. Arcudi comic I was trying to remember haha. If you like Arcudi's writing, try some of his older work
Barb Wire
BPRD and Abe Sapien (can't believe I forgot he wrote these 2 series)
Lobster Johnson
Major Bummer

Annihilator #4 that good ol' Morrison craziness, just the perfect dose <3

Megaman #44
SPARKMAN IS THE BRO-EST OF BROS!
THE BRO-EST!
THE. BRO. -EST.!
The feels...T.T

Multiversity: ThunderWorld
Oh SURE Sivana you are totally NOT a 'stereotypical, cackling madman'.
Anyone else reminded of Miracle/Marvelman's origins from the Moore series in this issue?
Great issue, I really wanna see more of that world and man THIS is the Captain Marvel I've missed, not that Johns' Captain Marvel is bad, it just doesn't have what made the original Captain Marvel such a charming character.

Transformers MTMTE #36
Gotta give Roberts credit even in an
alternate past Cybertron, Pax would not be corrupted, some things really DO NOT change
...and Megatron CASUALLY, CASUALLY talking to
Orion in the past
is just...it is genius the way it was pulled off, and I'm glad to see Megatron still going on his way to become a better person.

Owzers

How do you all organise your comic shelves? By publisher, alphabetically, alphabetically by author or by size?

I have a couple of those cube shelves, so i just have a random order of things. One shelf will have mostly marvel books, i try to group events together, one shelf has stuff i just received and need to read, etc etc. Alphabetical is never going to happen.

How do you all organise your comic shelves? By publisher, alphabetically, alphabetically by author or by size?

I generally group books by publisher, then size and alphabetically. For example - for my Image books, I'll have all of my Image Deluxe Hardcovers organized alphabetically, and then after that will be all of my Image TPBs, also alphabetically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom