• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been wanting to read Star Wars comics for a while. Just ordered this. Thought it was worth a punt at $20. (If you are looking to order one, use the code HAWKGIRL to get free shipping).

https://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Star-W...axy--From-Tatooine-To-Dark-Empire-HC___319710

I remember that one. It's a really nicely bound book. The stories in there are pretty much exclusively focused on Luke, which is what it was intended to be. If you dig Star Wars comics, Legacy is definitely worth checking out as well. Can't say much about Legacy II, but the initial series was great.

I'm still debating whether or not I want to check out the new Star Wars series by Jason Aaron.

I'M 52 GODDAMN HOURS INTO THIS GAME AND STILL HAVE THREE LOCATIONS I HAVEN'T EVEN TOUCHED YET! I would almost say that this game might be too long. But I won't mind if the new Mass Effect game ends up being this long. Needs fewer Ubisoft quests, though.

I'm about 61 hours in at this point, and theres still two or three places I haven't unlocked, and 3 places I have unlocked and either haven't gone to yet, or did very minimally. I am starting to feel the burn out effect though. I haven't touched it today, I think I need a little break. I must be towards the end, but man I've spent most of my free time just playing that game. The hours just fly by. Thursday and Sunday it was about all I did outside of eating food and walking my dog.

In comic book news I think theres like 4 books I want coming out this week, which is a lot for me. There's usually one or two a week. I feel bad buying them though since I just spent so much on the comixology sale. Might drop Guardians 3000. I cannot STAND the future slang terms like "whatevermind" and "Maxi-sexist". They just irk me. Not my favorite art style either. I did enjoy the first issue quite a bit though.

Show of hands if you didn't buy any comics or graphic novels this Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

*raises hand*

Nah.

Got Superior Foes Vol 1, Batman Vol 4, Wonder Woman Vol 3 all in TPB from Barnes and Noble. Bought two, got the third free (promo they're running until January). Also had a gift card so for the three of them I spent ~$13 or so.

The only thing I bought on Black Friday was comics. So many Image comics I've been wanting to read but just haven't yet, so the comixology sale was pretty good for me.

Xis

The sales on Comixology today and this weekend were amazing.

Yeah I agree; personally ended up picking up a lot of Avengers vs. X-Men stuff but I also wanted a lot of the Valiant stuff. Only reason I passed is I haven't read all of the Valiant stuff I picked up in their Humble Bundle.

Yeah I agree; personally ended up picking up a lot of Avengers vs. X-Men stuff but I also wanted a lot of the Valiant stuff. Only reason I passed is I haven't read all of the Valiant stuff I picked up in their Humble Bundle.

I picked up the Paul Jenkins Jae Lee Inhumans run for 10 dollars, The rest of the Infinity event for 4 dollars and Cable & Deadpool Vol.1 for 4 dollars. Then I picked up the Kingdom Come for four dollars as well and I'm debating on getting Zero Vol.2
probably gonna do it

Cheska

I didn't. I impulse-bought Strangers In Paradise from Amazon on Saturday, but that was it. Everything else I needed was in my $160 IST order the other week.
So since so many people ordered Strangers In Paradise, are we going to have a group reading or something? I'll gladly start tonight :)

So since so many people ordered Strangers In Paradise, are we going to have a group reading or something? I'll gladly start tonight :)

I haven't order it yet...........its one of my new years resolutions. Well, the only one since I usually don't really do new years resolutions.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Have you read whatever the hell that Hellboyverse book is called? SS Robot Soldier 69 or whatever the fuck? That book is so much fun. I can't remember shit about it, but it's great.

Is Sledgehammer 44 what you're talking about? If so, it looks super awesome and I'm glad to hear it's a lot of fun. I gotta get on it soon.

Mignola does nothing for me. :(

It wasn't meant to be Kipp.

It's okay, Messi. We can forever contemplate what could have been.

Man, you're in for such a treat when you get to Johann's introduction and the rest of the team. He and Roger are my favorites...

You have like 150+ issues of Mignola magic still to come, not counting Odd Jobs (which are short stories he had little to no direct involvement in).

Cool! I'm so looking forward to it!

Liz Sherman:

Wait... Does that say "Hellboy Coasters"? Do Hellboy coasters exist!? I need these.

I didn't. I impulse-bought Strangers In Paradise from Amazon on Saturday, but that was it. Everything else I needed was in my $160 IST order the other week.

Yep, same here. Only thing I bought this Black Friday weekend was Strangers in Paradise. Oh, and the Hitman TPBs. Haha

I really want to do a group read! I think quite a few people who ordered it haven't received it yet, so we should probably wait a week or so before starting if we do decide to coordinate this somewhat. Plus I want to be able to finish up Preacher before starting a new series. Haha

Show of hands if you didn't buy any comics or graphic novels this Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

*raises hand*
I didn't order anything! I bought Evil Within since it was cheap, but that was it. I decided to be somewhat responsible for once lol

And Messi placing Kipp over me... I gotchu.

Cheska

Yo, you know how so many of us listen to our group recommendations, and generally end up loving that stuff? I know I pick stuff up almost weekly based off what you guys say.

However, there are also some times when I'm glad I don't listen. I know some of you were less than impressed by iZombie, but I kept on reading and just finished up the last volume today.

I liked it. I didn't love it, but I got more than a few laughs out of it, and it was more than worth it for Allreds art.

Has anyone else experienced this? Not listened to us, and then ended up enjoying the book?

Yo, you know how so many of us listen to our group recommendations, and generally end up loving that stuff? I know I pick stuff up almost weekly based off what you guys say.

However, there are also some times when I'm glad I don't listen. I know some of you were less than impressed by iZombie, but I kept on reading and just finished up the last volume today.

I liked it. I didn't love it, but I got more than a few laughs out of it, and it was more than worth it for Allreds art.

Has anyone else experienced this? Not listened to us, and then ended up enjoying the book?
I ignore people that rag on Rat Queens and Saga. I love those books, the characters are so entertaining. I just wish Rat Queens would come out more frequently. And saga can do issue after issue with no plot and I'd still love every second of it. Just seeing more of the world, characters, and art is always worth it

Messi

I was put off buying IZombie by the negative talk here. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I think maybe I should check it out as I just discovered that I really love Allreds art.

Owzers

I was put off buying IZombie by the negative talk here. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I think maybe I should check it out as I just discovered that I really love Allreds art.

there's negative iZombie talk? I really liked the first trade, mostly liked the second. It's charming but also gives off the feeling that not enough substantial things happen, especially the ending of the first two volumes of the trades where they were mostly walk-offs.

Zombine

Banned
izombie-panel.jpg

CBTech

Any recommendations on books that aren't part of the DC or Marvel universes? Somewhat short and complete series would be preferable. I guess an example would be something like Transmetropolitan.

Any recommendations on books that aren't part of the DC or Marvel universes? Somewhat short and complete series would be preferable. I guess an example would be something like Transmetropolitan.

Try out Six Gun Gorilla. It's pretty popular among us.

And I didn't do it yesterday, but here's the wall of shame for November:
Messi
Freezasaurus
Zombine
ViewtifulJC
Kipp
Tyrant Rave
KoruptData
GAMEPROFF
gketter
fauxtrot

LosDaddie

Banned

*raises hand*

How about if you just didn't buy anything you weren't planning on buying anyway? That's what I did.

Between the GCN Black Friday sale and a (very small) local comic con on Sunday, here's my haul:
-Original Sin OHC
-Xmen Second Coming OHC
-Xmen X-cutioner's Song OHC
-Fear Itself AVengers HC
-Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps vol 1 & 2 HC
-Blackest Night: Rise of Black Lanterns HC

Great sales on all of them. Minimum of 50% off

*raises hand*

*raises hand*

I bought some Criterion Blus from B&N and some random other Blu-Rays, and also a videogame. And some merch at a show I was at that was coincidentally on Black Friday. So, nah. I'm probably done with orders until after Christmas tbh

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Man, I'm hyped up for Hellboy and the BPRD. Looking forward all that Maleev art.

Speaking of indy books, anyone reading C.O.W.L? Loved #6, and greatly looking forward #7 this month.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

*raises hand*

I haven't bought a damned thing of any sort, comics or otherwise. Partially because no deals immediately grabbed my attention, and partially too distracted by work and family health issues to be in the good ol' American consumer mood.

Someone sell me on Batgirl. I've never read any of her solo stuff and I want to know if this is good reading. I like girly hijinx.

Someone sell me on Batgirl. I've never read any of her solo stuff and I want to know if this is good reading. I like girly hijinx.

well the Steph run by Brian Q Miller is great 'cause it's charming and legit fun. It wraps up pretty well too despite the looming New 52 and it's one of my favorite teen cape books from the last few years. Give the first few issues a shot, I have opinions you can trust. Also, especially towards the middle/later of the run, there are some great girly hijinx issues, like the team-up issue with Supergirl. It might be my fav issue of the run.

damn now i wanna reread it

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
well the Steph run by Brian Q Miller is great 'cause it's charming and legit fun. It wraps up pretty well too despite the looming New 52 and it's one of my favorite teen cape books from the last few years. Give the first few issues a shot, I have opinions you can trust. Also, especially towards the middle/later of the run, there are some great girly hijinx issues, like the team-up issue with Supergirl. It might be my fav issue of the run.

damn now i wanna reread it

Agreed. The Steph Batgirl run was very fun and had a nice, lighter tone compared to most Bat books.

Bit the bullet on my first DC Bombshell. Ordered Mera from DCBS. Figured I should before they take her off the site. Can't wait for Lois. And if they make one based on the Batwoman bombshell art, they can have all my monies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom