• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hickman Announces "Manhattan Projects" On Hiatus Until March

Post if you're OK, Tim.

I'm pretty sure their trades sell really well. Image is certainly bigger than before. I don't know why marvel/dc don't get into the creator owned comics realm more though. Obviously Vertigo was big for a while but DC has changed their focus while Marvel has Icon basically doing nothing. If they wanted, I think they could take a huge slice of the Image pie

Don't disagree with you there.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm pretty sure their trades sell really well. Image is certainly bigger than before. I don't know why marvel/dc don't get into the creator owned comics realm more though. Obviously Vertigo was big for a while but DC has changed their focus while Marvel has Icon basically doing nothing. If they wanted, I think they could take a huge slice of the Image pie
Why spending money on things you dont have 100% creative control unlike your other famous property that made you already the market leader?
I see your point, but I can understand why they wont slide in this market. They just dont need. Also they are going into Star Wars soon, so they have other things to do and in their focus beside their focused market.
And even while I am far from beeing a big Image fan, I think this is good. I honestly beliefe, if Marvel wanted they could toss Image out of the market. They and DC have the money to do this, since they are backed from giant media companys. That they dont even try (or try it half-arsed with Bendis Books) helps Image to find their place in the nice and grow there.

Edit: On a second though, even when DC and Marvel wanted to toss out Image, they would probably survive. I can imagine that a lot of artists that are publishing on Image do this because out of ideology. So they would probably survive even then.

Considering jumping on that comoxoligy sale of Catwoman. From what I remember you all mentioning I should avoid the issues by Nocenti, but the issues before that run are fine or at least has good art. Does that sound right?

The Judd Winick run is...ok..

Catwoman: When in Rome is also on sale. That's actually a great Selina story.

Jesus, I just bought the entire Nocenti run since it's on sale.

fZd1fH1.jpg

fZd1fH1.jpg

Just read through the first three issues of Batgirl, and I can totally see why this is praised so much. Whenever I read one of these DC books from before the reboot, it really makes me miss the old DCU.

Messi

The Judd Winick run is...ok..

Catwoman: When in Rome is also on sale. That's actually a great Selina story.

You fucked up man.

I don't know how much you know about Nocenti Catwoman, I'm an expert....

I read like the first 5 issues of Nocenti Catwoman when they were new. I know exactly what I have done. I am ashamed but she's my favorite character.

Messi

I read like the first 5 issues of Nocenti Catwoman when they were new. I know exactly what I have done. I am ashamed but she's my favorite character.

You know it gets much worse once she drops the pretense of knowing anything about Selina. There's nothing redeeming about that run.

frye

Vertigo isn't really creator owned in quite the way Image is (ask BKV, Garth Ennis, and Jason Aaron) and Icon was always a bonus for people to work on their mainstream stuff. Brubaker has talked about how he would need to do a certain amount of work for hire before he could do Criminal for example

Vertigo isn't really creator owned in quite the way Image is (ask BKV, Garth Ennis, and Jason Aaron) and Icon was always a bonus for people to work on their mainstream stuff. Brubaker has talked about how he would need to do a certain amount of work for hire before he could do Criminal for example

yeah Vertigo seems weird for DC

like they published Snyder's Wake and American Vampire but he still went to image for Severed and Wytches. Not sure what to make of all that

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Vertigo and Image are nothing alike, guys. There are more details involved in the business than just who gets to own the comic book.

besada

Banned
Hey everyone. We're going to be moving this thread into Community later today. I wanted to drop in and let everyone know, so they could subscribe if necessary.

What this means: This thread will stay in community, but all other comic threads continue to be welcome additions to the OT.

So feel free to post anything you think is newsworthy, or even dumb, but funny, related to comics. You aren't required to keep all comic discussion in the community thread. We're happy to have comic book threads in the OT (although certain mods don't love versus threads and we'll crack down on them again if they start consuming OT) and happy to have you guys in those threads discussing the comic news.

But the regular OT for comics has functionally become a community thread, for a set of regular posters. And that's fine, too, except that means it belongs in Community.

I'll be doing the move later today, but wanted to give everyone a heads up before we did it.

Zombine

Banned
Hey everyone. We're going to be moving this thread into Community later today. I wanted to drop in and let everyone know, so they could subscribe if necessary.

What this means: This thread will stay in community, but all other comic threads continue to be welcome additions to the OT.

So feel free to post anything you think is newsworthy, or even dumb, but funny, related to comics. You aren't required to keep all comic discussion in the community thread. We're happy to have comic book threads in the OT (although certain mods don't love versus threads and we'll crack down on them again if they start consuming OT) and happy to have you guys in those threads discussing the comic news.

But the regular OT for comics has functionally become a community thread, for a set of regular posters. And that's fine, too, except that means it belongs in Community.

I'll be doing the move later today, but wanted to give everyone a heads up before we did it.

You did the right thing. Thank you!

Guys, this is only a "death sentence" if you let it be. I honestly look forward to see if you guys make any cool OT Threads. I know I got one in the works, but I only expect Freeza to show up.

Owzers

You did the right thing. Thank you!

Guys, this is only a "death sentence" if you let it be.

I'm going to make the time count, better myself. I'm going to read more, start drawing. You'll see guys, you'll all see. Community won't break me, I just have to punch the first DC fan who disrespects me.

Zombine

Banned
I'm going to make the time count, better myself. I'm going to read more, start drawing. You'll see guys, you'll all see. Community won't break me, I just have to punch the first DC fan who disrespects me.

Lol I've spent a bit of time there recently, and it's pretty great. Everyone just has to get used to hitting a button in a different position. The goal should be to make Comics the most welcoming OT thread out of the bunch.

frye

Vertigo and Image are nothing alike, guys. There are more details involved in the business than just who gets to own the comic book.

Aren't rights (especially media rights) the main thing though? I mean -- Vertigo has a heavier editorial presence and they have actual page rates but at the end of the day it looks like people (or at least the bigger names) have decided that it's a worse deal based on the rights.

Messi

Like it or not but over the past year and a half we have become a pretty awesome community. Right as me and Korupt joined. Our very own Cap and Iron Man. Coincidence, I think not.

I welcome our move. We can become a better community without the shackles of OT.

Zombine

Banned
Like it or not but over the past year and a half we have become a pretty awesome community. Right as me and Korupt joined. Our very own Cap and Iron Man. Coincidence, I think not.

I welcome our move. We can become a better community without the shackles of OT.

What superhero am I?

I'm Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom