• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I remember hearing about the Battle of the Atom cross-over. So All-New follows young Cyclops while Uncanny follows current Cyclops. Weird, but I can dig it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

They mingle a lot, especially post-BotA. It sounds weird but it works. Those books are a lot of fun together, especially as a Cyclops fan.

Anyone got any recommendations for the Marvel Collections sale on Comixology? I've read the first volumes of Thor God of Thunder, Superior Spidey and Bendis' Guardians.

frye

Listening to this Millar interview and it's funny how Grant is all like "Mark destroyed my faith in fucking humanity" and Millar has almost nothing but nice things to say except some really subtle shade about writers living in LA.

Also Schism was even more of a Millar idea than I originally thought.

I think one of my comics reading projects is to read through every thing he's done since Authority until I hate myself too much to do it.

Listening to this Millar interview and it's funny how Grant is all like "Mark destroyed my faith in fucking humanity" and Millar has almost nothing but nice things to say except some really subtle shade about writers living in LA.

Also Schism was even more of a Millar idea than I originally thought.

I think one of my comics reading projects is to read through every thing he's done since Authority until I hate myself too much to do it.

Pretty sure the Authority first story arc had the Avengers blowing up a bunch of babies in a hospital, and the second one there was a rape. I think the third one was a rape, too.

Actually ya know what, the first one had rape too, didn't it?

frye

Pretty sure the Authority first story arc had the Avengers blowing up a bunch of babies in a hospital, and the second one there was a rape. I think the third one was a rape, too.

Actually ya know what, the first one had rape too, didn't it?

I have this inexplicable urge to read Nemesis for real, but I feel I should lead up to it.

frye

are you gonna read Trouble as well

Of course, just in time for the movie!

the sad things is it wouldnt be my first time
TTEEJqv.png

Well damn, that's a shame. I'm sure digital is much more convenient but I find it really hard to give up that tactile connection when reading something. That and I don't own any sort of tablet large enough to make reading something that's mostly pictures bearable. Ah well, I'll just stash the box in a closet or something.

These boxes are less efficient than large card board boxes, expensive, but at least they can be displayed without the room looking like a warehouse.

http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/html/drop-in_storage_boxes.html

There are these ones as well.

https://comiccartel.io/shop/storage/1-cartel-box-premium-comic-book-storage/

Of course, just in time for the movie!

the sad things is it wouldnt be my first time
TTEEJqv.png

still haven't read that one yet lmao. Now I kinda want to.

Make sure you check out 1985, that was a good one back in the day.

also, we didn't get to properly fanboy it up about how good Stray Bullets, on a scale of "sogood.gif" to "where the hell has this book been my whole life goddamnit Lapham don't you kill this character" how much did you enjoy it

frye

still haven't read that one yet lmao. Now I kinda want to.

Make sure you check out 1985, that was a good one back in the day.

also, we didn't get to properly fanboy it up about how good Stray Bullets, on a scale of "sogood.gif" to "where the hell has this book been my whole life goddamnit Lapham don't you kill this character" how much did you enjoy it

"Why the hell did I wait so long to read this" every issue pretty much. I knew Stray Bullets always had a reputation for being far and above everything else Lapham's done but I kind of avoided it a little because of his hackwork. There's a perfect mix of every issue being more or less self-contained with the feeling that you really want to read a hundred of them in a row because you really do fall in love a little with a lot of these characters and want desperately for them to be okay. But you also know a lot of them won't be okay and it hurts a little every time that happens.

It also does this thing I love (also in Sin City and Criminal) with this shared sense of geography and history. People you know from one storyline coming into contact with the guys you're currently reading, people knowing each other from back in the day, shit like that.

CBTech

yeah but the cyclops who has his own 2014 series is the cyclops from all new, not from uncanny.

It's not confusing at all!

Yeah, I'm surprised they kept the past X-men in the present after that event. I mean, they have to go back eventually right? Eh, I don't know how X-men time travel works.

"Why the hell did I wait so long to read this" every issue pretty much. I knew Stray Bullets always had a reputation for being far and above everything else Lapham's done but I kind of avoided it a little because of his hackwork. There's a perfect mix of every issue being more or less self-contained with the feeling that you really want to read a hundred of them in a row because you really do fall in love a little with a lot of these characters and want desperately for them to be okay. But you also know a lot of them won't be okay and it hurts a little every time that happens.

It also does this thing I love (also in Sin City and Criminal) with this shared sense of geography and history. People you know from one storyline coming into contact with the guys you're currently reading, people knowing each other from back in the day, shit like that.

Yeah, it all goes back to that title, "Stray Bullets", how acts of violence can catch unintended people in the crossfire and the consequences that fall out of them. Like, damn, to think all the shit Virginia has been through since witnessing that one event

lapham-stray-bullets-spanish-scott.jpg

That and the Killers trade that comes out next month. And bug your comic shop owner to order copies, cuz the sales are TEEEEEEEEEEERIBLE

terriblesales.png

that's why I'm always pushing this book, cuz its not like Deadly Class or Grant Morrison comics are in any danger of getting cancelled, ya know? It you took only one of my comic recommendations seriously, let it be this one.

that's why I'm always pushing this book, cuz its not like Deadly Class or Grant Morrison comics are in any danger of getting cancelled, ya know? It you took only one of my comic recommendations seriously, let it be this one.

I like free IST shipping, and I think I only have the Sunstone TPB next week. Alright, I've been meaning to check this series out, so I'll grab that massive brick of paper and the newest TPB.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Been going through the end-of-the-year recommendations here.

All New X-Men
Read through about #20. I liked the beginning, but I thought it trailed off and got too convoluted and silly at around Age of the Atom or whatever that was called. I also hate the fact I can't just follow that single series and understand what's going on (I know, superhero comics-- but plenty of series manage it).
Still following the newer issues though, because Ultimate Spidey.

Sex Criminals
Cute, though I think the tone is nothing special-- see a lot of things like that these days. Only read up to issue #3, I'm not enjoying it that much so I'll put it on hold for the moment.

Ms Marvel
This is the winner this time, I'm really liking both the art and the story. While some things are heavy-handed (the whole Muslim/outsider thing and now the kids-are-parasites thing) it generally feels fresh which is not common in superhero comics. Will keep reading.

Next up-- Moon Knight! (should I keep reading past issue #6?)

Splatt

Next up-- Moon Knight! (should I keep reading past issue #6?)

Wood's run has been... okish. It started well enough, but it got more boring with every new issue. It doesn't help that he dropped the one story per issue format in favor of a longer arc...

I think you're better off finishing the run at #6

Help me out here GAF

I don't buy a ton of comics (I've accumulated maybe around a small box of the things over the last several years) but as time goes on I can see picking up more. So, is there any type of readily available storage solution out there aside from those white boxes I keep seeing? I don't need to display my comics or anything, but having a place to stash them without leaving cardboard sitting around my apartment would be ideal.

I still use the shorter white boxes, but what I did was buy one of those black 8-cubed shelves from ikea and 8 fabric-like boxes that slide into the cubed holes. So I have all eight of my comic boxes in these black fabric boxes, inside the shelves so the whole thing doesn't look so shitty. Because, man those white boxes are ugly!

tim1138

So I randomly had the first issue of Stray Bullets in my comixology library, and just finished reading it. That was fucking great, I'll be picking up that omnibus next time I get paid.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I've been so close to ordering Stray Bullets so many times. One day I'll buy it.

I like free IST shipping, and I think I only have the Sunstone TPB next week. Alright, I've been meaning to check this series out, so I'll grab that massive brick of paper and the newest TPB.

So I randomly had the first issue of Stray Bullets in my comixology library, and just finished reading it. That was fucking great, I'll be picking up that omnibus next time I get paid.

you guys are the best, you're saving the comic industry from the kipps of the world

I bought the most recent trade of Stray Bullets when it came out. I think it's good but it's not really my cup of tea so far. I plan on finishing it eventually.

you guys are the best, you're saving the comic industry from the kipps of the world

We should do Stray Bullets for the next reading club! I bought the omnibus in the summer, i still need to go through it. I was reading through the Stray Bullet trades back in the day but lost track of them, and I felt given how he weaves the timelines, characters, etc that reading it all in one go is the better method.

In other news, SiP is sooooo good. Re-reading it again has been awesome. The only problem is its tough to switch back to my other comics after reading it.

fauxtrot

Banned
We should do Stray Bullets for the next reading club! I bought the omnibus in the summer, i still need to go through it. I was reading through the Stray Bullet trades back in the day but lost track of them, and I felt given how he weaves the timelines, characters, etc that reading it all in one go is the better method.

In other news, SiP is sooooo good. Re-reading it again has been awesome. The only problem is its tough to switch back to my other comics after reading it.

Is Stray Bullets main story complete? I know he's still working on offshoot arcs (Killers, etc), and I kind of like the idea of only picking finished works for our book club.

Is Stray Bullets main story complete? I know he's still working on offshoot arcs (Killers, etc), and I kind of like the idea of only picking finished works for our book club.
JC a would have to answer that. I believe the omnibus finishes the main original story. And I agree we need to do complete collections or arcs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom