• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1nZuuPz.gif
Line in the sand
1nZuuPz.gif
: The Wake or Low?

fixed to avoid zombine copyright infringement

original post do not steal

tim1138

I just finished the fourth volume of Mind MGMT. I think it's good Kindt has a set ending issue for the book because it feels like he's really running out of steam as the series progresses. I've gone from being really caught up in his world of super spies to just kind of wishing it was over.

arkon

I disliked Low, but loved The Wake. Come at me comicgaf

I would but, you see, my father once told me about Thermopylae 'cos he's crazy like that.

The Battle of Thermopylae (/θərˈmɒpɨliː/ thər-mop-i-lee; Greek: Μάχη τῶν Θερμοπυλῶν, Machē tōn Thermopylōn) was fought between an alliance of Greek city-states, led by King Leonidas of Sparta, and the Persian Empire of Xerxes I over the course of three days, during the second Persian invasion of Greece. It took place simultaneously with the naval battle at Artemisium, in August or September 480 BC, at the narrow coastal pass of Thermopylae ("The Hot Gates"). The Persian invasion was a delayed response to the defeat of the first Persian invasion of Greece, which had been ended by the Athenian victory at the Battle of Marathon in 490 BC. Xerxes had amassed a huge army and navy, and set out to conquer all of Greece. The Athenian general Themistocles had proposed that the allied Greeks block the advance of the Persian army at the pass of Thermopylae, and simultaneously block the Persian navy at the Straits of Artemisium.

A Greek force of approximately 7,000 men marched north to block the pass in the summer of 480 BC. The Persian army, alleged by the ancient sources to have numbered over one million but today considered to have been much smaller (various figures are given by scholars ranging between about 100,000 and 150,000),[7][8] arrived at the pass in late August or early September. The vastly outnumbered Greeks held off the Persians for seven days (including three of battle) before the rear-guard was annihilated in one of history's most famous last stands. During two full days of battle, the small force led by Leonidas blocked the only road by which the massive Persian army could pass. After the second day of battle, a local resident named Ephialtes betrayed the Greeks by revealing that a small path led behind the Greek lines. Leonidas, aware that his force was being outflanked, dismissed the bulk of the Greek army and remained to guard their retreat with 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians, 400 Thebans, and perhaps a few hundred others, most of whom were killed.

Crazy as old pops was. He was right.

I just finished the fourth volume of Mind MGMT. I think it's good Kindt has a set ending issue for the book because it feels like he's really running out of steam as the series progresses. I've gone from being really caught up in his world of super spies to just kind of wishing it was over.
I just couldn't take it anymore after 14 or so issues. Hardcovers may be the difference though......

I would but, you see, my father once told me about Thermopylae 'cos he's crazy like that.

The Battle of Thermopylae (/θərˈmɒpɨliː/ thər-mop-i-lee; Greek: Μάχη τῶν Θερμοπυλῶν, Machē tōn Thermopylōn) was fought between an alliance of Greek city-states, led by King Leonidas of Sparta, and the Persian Empire of Xerxes I over the course of three days, during the second Persian invasion of Greece. It took place simultaneously with the naval battle at Artemisium, in August or September 480 BC, at the narrow coastal pass of Thermopylae ("The Hot Gates"). The Persian invasion was a delayed response to the defeat of the first Persian invasion of Greece, which had been ended by the Athenian victory at the Battle of Marathon in 490 BC. Xerxes had amassed a huge army and navy, and set out to conquer all of Greece. The Athenian general Themistocles had proposed that the allied Greeks block the advance of the Persian army at the pass of Thermopylae, and simultaneously block the Persian navy at the Straits of Artemisium.

A Greek force of approximately 7,000 men marched north to block the pass in the summer of 480 BC. The Persian army, alleged by the ancient sources to have numbered over one million but today considered to have been much smaller (various figures are given by scholars ranging between about 100,000 and 150,000),[7][8] arrived at the pass in late August or early September. The vastly outnumbered Greeks held off the Persians for seven days (including three of battle) before the rear-guard was annihilated in one of history's most famous last stands. During two full days of battle, the small force led by Leonidas blocked the only road by which the massive Persian army could pass. After the second day of battle, a local resident named Ephialtes betrayed the Greeks by revealing that a small path led behind the Greek lines. Leonidas, aware that his force was being outflanked, dismissed the bulk of the Greek army and remained to guard their retreat with 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians, 400 Thebans, and perhaps a few hundred others, most of whom were killed.

nice citation numbers mr wikipedia

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Oh, shit, that's fucking hilarious. I would love if he left actual citations in as well.

rip in peace roundabout

the man just wanted some hentai comix

What happened? He discover that he actually LOVES the brother/sister stuff?

This review of a Aquaman Tshirt at Amazon is hilarious.

The only shirt you'll ever wear ever again.
By Mr.Monicker - August 5, 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase
I wore this sucker to Comic Con this year. There were hundreds of Batman shirts, Superman shirts, Captain America shirtsetc. There were Flash hoodies and Green Lantern rings everywhere. Of the thousands of people there, I only saw one other guy wearing an Aquaman shirt. I was going down the escalator while he was going up on the parallel escalator when our eyes met. We saw each others' shirts and did the "S'up" head nod of approval. Then we had a fist bump as we passed each other in opposite directions.

This isn't just a shirt. It's a symbol of solidarity. A brotherhood of secret, underground fans. The world's most mocked superhero will have his day. Until then, his acolytes, us fanscan show our support by wearing this shirt.

It's not just a shirt. It's a uniform.

Did the hentai guy get banned? Sunstone is out this week. He might dig it.

Nah, he's still around. I don't think he's posted here since then unfortunately.

Also, just read Thunderworld and I loved it. Probably my favorite issue of Multiversity so far! I liked Pax a lot too but this hit all the right buttons for me.

Is Future's End still hapenning or is it over?

Was it as terrible as the first issue?

Forever evil started off... neat, but I was done with it before DC was

Outside of that, I haven't read a full comic event since flashpoint, and blackest night before that, and my comic life has never been better

Loam

Help me out here GAF

I don't buy a ton of comics (I've accumulated maybe around a small box of the things over the last several years) but as time goes on I can see picking up more. So, is there any type of readily available storage solution out there aside from those white boxes I keep seeing? I don't need to display my comics or anything, but having a place to stash them without leaving cardboard sitting around my apartment would be ideal.

fauxtrot

Banned
I always enjoy Multiversity's wrap ups and reviews, but the one for Axis #8 stole the show. Their final score for the issue:

The whole thing is great - http://multiversitycomics.com/reviews/axistential-crisis-avengers-x-men-axis-8-reviewrecap/

"Meanwhile, Leinil Yu is a pretty good “event” comic artist that, when given the proper amount of time, can pull of some really great action scenes. He has never met a man who did not have a face wrinklier than a scuba diver’s scrotum and a woman who wasn’t wearing the smooth skin of a baby’s."

giphy.gif

Welp, there's no getting that image out of my head.

Help me out here GAF

I don't buy a ton of comics (I've accumulated maybe around a small box of the things over the last several years) but as time goes on I can see picking up more. So, is there any type of readily available storage solution out there aside from those white boxes I keep seeing? I don't need to display my comics or anything, but having a place to stash them without leaving cardboard sitting around my apartment would be ideal.

There's a reason those white longboxes are still pretty ubiquitous in the hobby....there aren't many better ways to do it. Myself, I went digital and scrapped most of my physical collection. My books live in the cloud...no organization required.

Help me out here GAF

The long (or short) boxes are pretty much the universal solution to comic storage. They're cheap, and readily available at pretty much any comic shop. There's also a newer variety that I've been seeing that slide out like drawers instead of opening at the top. So if you end up stacking them, you don't have to keep moving them around to get to a certain one.

When is Bendis going to stop writting?

When he dies. But maybe not even then. Dead musicians still release new records.

Help me out here GAF

embrace the digital future, friend

CBTech

I still get confused by comic naming sometimes, especially with Marvel who like to put adjectives in front of their titles.

If I were to want to start keeping up with Spider-man and X-men books am I correct in assuming I should start with the "Amazing Spider-man (2014-)" but I'm not sure about X-men. I know there tends to be a couple of X-books following different teams, like X-Factor. I'm mainly interested in Cyclops so what series is a good jumping on point to follow him?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I still get confused by comic naming sometimes, especially with Marvel who like to put adjectives in front of their titles.

If I were to want to start keeping up with Spider-man and X-men books am I correct in assuming I should start with the "Amazing Spider-man (2014-)" but I'm not sure about X-men. I know there tends to be a couple of X-books following different teams, like X-Factor. I'm mainly interested in Cyclops so what series is a good jumping on point to follow him?
Uncanny X-Men (2013-)

Also, Cyclops has his own series.

Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men are the current books you want to follow, and I'd start at #1 for both (or pick up UXM at the Battle of the Atom crossover). When you read the Trial of Jean Grey (All-New crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy), follow it up with the wonderful Cyclops mini by Greg Rucka, which lasts for five issues, no more, no less.

fauxtrot

Banned
Has anyone ever read Midnight, Mass.? I was an early 2000s Vertigo series and I can't seem to find it collected anywhere. The covers are cool and I remember someone saying they really liked it once.

CBTech

Ah, I remember hearing about the Battle of the Atom cross-over. So All-New follows young Cyclops while Uncanny follows current Cyclops. Weird, but I can dig it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Loam

Well damn, that's a shame. I'm sure digital is much more convenient but I find it really hard to give up that tactile connection when reading something. That and I don't own any sort of tablet large enough to make reading something that's mostly pictures bearable. Ah well, I'll just stash the box in a closet or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom