• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Have been reading Escapo. Loving the art (and lettering).

Oh man. That's gorgeous. I gotta get that eventually.

We should do Stray Bullets for the next reading club! I bought the omnibus in the summer, i still need to go through it. I was reading through the Stray Bullet trades back in the day but lost track of them, and I felt given how he weaves the timelines, characters, etc that reading it all in one go is the better method.

I'm up for it!

when is the superior foes book club

I'm picking it up when the complete collection is released. So whenever that is.

That and the Killers trade that comes out next month. And bug your comic shop owner to order copies, cuz the sales are TEEEEEEEEEEERIBLE

terriblesales.png

that's why I'm always pushing this book, cuz its not like Deadly Class or Grant Morrison comics are in any danger of getting cancelled, ya know? It you took only one of my comic recommendations seriously, let it be this one.

Shiiiiiiit. I didn't realize it was selling so poorly. C'mon people, don't make me actually go into a comic shop.

that's why I'm always pushing this book, cuz its not like Deadly Class or Grant Morrison comics are in any danger of getting cancelled, ya know? It you took only one of my comic recommendations seriously, let it be this one.

Thats some serious comics love, JC. Alright alright, I'll likely pick up Stray Bullets in the future. Dude shouldn't have to see his love project go away due to low sales.

Also, reviving a bit of earlier talk about Leinel Yu. I think he's very good when he gets time. His rushed work looks... like he gives in too his indulgences more than other artists do.
These look great dont they? He's pretty guilty of boob socks tho

Messi

I'll never sell my Harley Quinn #1 Hughes Variant. It's my prized comic possession. Eventually I'll get around to getting that ink done too. But $100 ain't a bad price.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Sandman Overture: Still worth the wait.

Damn, is anybody reading this? It's pretty brilliant on all front--writing, arting, coloring, lettering.

O________O building watchtowers in Dragon Age 3 takes an hour? What is this nonsense comcis-dragons-gaf?

The cool thing about war table missions is that it's all realtime. If a mission takes 7 hours, you can assign it, then turn off the game, go to sleep. Then when you boot up the game again, BOOM, mission complete.

Messi

The cool thing about war table missions is that it's all realtime. If a mission takes 7 hours, you can assign it, then turn off the game, go to sleep. Then when you boot up the game again, BOOM, mission complete.

Can I get to the love making with the hot elf girl without the diplomacy?

MG310

I'll never sell my Harley Quinn #1 Hughes Variant. It's my prized comic possession. Eventually I'll get around to getting that ink done too. But $100 ain't a bad price.

I ended up just getting the print from him...couldn't stand to feed the scalpers for the actual issue.

Messi

I ended up just getting the print from him...couldn't stand to feed the scalpers for the actual issue.

The print is lovely too but shipping from his site was doubling the price. Would love a print of it tho. It's one of my favorite pieces of art.

Loam

These boxes are less efficient than large card board boxes, expensive, but at least they can be displayed without the room looking like a warehouse.

http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/html/drop-in_storage_boxes.html

There are these ones as well.

https://comiccartel.io/shop/storage/1-cartel-box-premium-comic-book-storage/

I still use the shorter white boxes, but what I did was buy one of those black 8-cubed shelves from ikea and 8 fabric-like boxes that slide into the cubed holes. So I have all eight of my comic boxes in these black fabric boxes, inside the shelves so the whole thing doesn't look so shitty. Because, man those white boxes are ugly!

These are both great, thanks guys.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Not gonna lie, I completely forgot that was a thing.

I think a lot of people did, unfortunately. Overture is going to be absolutely incredible to read once collected, BUT, it's still fucking great in floppies. Each issue has enough content to make it feel like you're getting a complete chapter, and like the wait isn't so absurd because of how much further the story is being pushed. And the way that Overture is intertwining itself into the rest of the Sandman series is really impressive and not forced or shallow.

And man, the artwork is fucking jawdropping.

Sandman Overture: Still worth the wait.

Damn, is anybody reading this? It's pretty brilliant on all front--writing, arting, coloring, lettering.
I am. But at this point I'm just going to want until it's complete. The gaps keep ruining any flow of the series. But when it's done it'll be worth the wait. Williams is killing it with the splash pages

I just want to say I support Stray Bullets as the next Book Club reading. I've been meaning to get it, that should give me a good reason to go ahead and do it.

Filthy Slug

I just want to say I support Stray Bullets as the next Book Club reading. I've been meaning to get it, that should give me a good reason to go ahead and do it.

Same. ViewtifulJC, if you want to start one, I'll scrounge for the uberalles edition. Could be fun to try out a more regimented reading thing.

Unrelated: I just started Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Yo. This book is great. Aside from softening on dialogue like, "somethingsomething pain in the BUTT." C'mon, you're already showing dudes doing cocaine, robbing little girls, boozin', etc....you can say "ass".

Same. ViewtifulJC, if you want to start one, I'll scrounge for the uberalles edition. Could be fun to try out a more regimented reading thing.

sounds great ya'll, but I don't wanna step on Strangers in Paradise reading thread toes, so we'll hold off on that for a bit.

But I do love the interest, and its crime drama style should be a good switch from the slice of life hijinxs of SiP

I think a lot of people did, unfortunately. Overture is going to be absolutely incredible to read once collected, BUT, it's still fucking great in floppies. Each issue has enough content to make it feel like you're getting a complete chapter, and like the wait isn't so absurd because of how much further the story is being pushed. And the way that Overture is intertwining itself into the rest of the Sandman series is really impressive and not forced or shallow.

And man, the artwork is fucking jawdropping.
Basically waiting for the inevitable deluxe hardcover like they did with endless nights. You know anything written by Gaiman and illustrated by JH Williams is gonna be magical. It's a perfect pairing like Morrison and Quitely. Or like Bru and Phillips or Milligan and Allred. Or Gillen and McKelvie or Miller and Mazzuchelli...

How's the new Spider-Woman book by Hopeless?

I ask cause I like Spider-Woman's new redesign and that apparently she's gonna be a detective in it. Is it one of those All-New books where you get a fairly streamlined new launching point? Like, are we getting something Hawkeye-esque here? Maybe not in tone, but in writing quality and art? Superhero filtered through genre like the Hawkeye/Moon Knight/Punisher/Black Widow titles?

Okay, time to catch up with my, like, ten books that I haven't read in a month.

Almost time for the end of Superior Foes :(((((((((((((((((

ElNarez

Banned

Unrelated: I just started Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Yo. This book is great. Aside from softening on dialogue like, "somethingsomething pain in the BUTT." C'mon, you're already showing dudes doing cocaine, robbing little girls, boozin', etc....you can say "ass".

Dude. "butt" is way funnier than "ass". It's the Clean Filth principle. It hits way harder when it's G-Rated.

How's the new Spider-Woman book by Hopeless?

I ask cause I like Spider-Woman's new redesign and that apparently she's gonna be a detective in it. Is it one of those All-New books where you get a fairly streamlined new launching point? Like, are we getting something Hawkeye-esque here? Maybe not in tone, but in writing quality and art? Superhero filtered through genre like the Hawkeye/Moon Knight/Punisher/Black Widow titles?

Okay, time to catch up with my, like, ten books that I haven't read in a month.

Almost time for the end of Superior Foes :(((((((((((((((((
welllll right now it's a greg land comic but if you wait til #5, it could end up being what you're looking for
Dude. "butt" is way funnier than "ass". It's the Clean Filth principle. It hits way harder when it's G-Rated.

i don't think CF principle applies here, as "butt" isn't that creative so i gotta disagree completely

Filthy Slug

You know, I was writing a response that agreed that word choice is key in comedy, and certain words are inherently funnier than others, but that that didn't apply to this specific scenario. However, rereading the panel, it's really just busting out a cliche and spinning it a little, which is fine.

And also, just randomly, call somebody an ass, but with tons of emphasis. Like, "you ass. Or, "you horse's ass." It's pretty hilarious if done right.
i don't think CF principle applies here, as "butt" isn't that creative so i gotta disagree completely

Totally agree, Serp.

Kipp

I am. But at this point I'm just going to want until it's complete. The gaps keep ruining any flow of the series. But when it's done it'll be worth the wait. Williams is killing it with the splash pages

This is one of the few times I'm happy I haven't read Sandman yet. By the time I get around to reading Sandman, Overture will be completed.

I mean, I'll be totally happy to start the Stray Bullets reading club too (though if JC wants to, that's great too). Stray Bullets would be a great choice.
Book clubs are perfect for getting you to finally buy and read those books that you've been meaning to read for ages but haven't gotten around to.
Also, speaking of regimented reading, so far I kind of like it. A lot of times, I start reading comics and then stop because I'm not enjoying it as much as I could be (not in the right place mentally or whatnot) and think I might as well wait until I can fully enjoy whichever comics, but with the reading club, I was like "Well, I've got to read these three issues today" and so I read them even though I knew I could've enjoyed them more another time, but I still enjoyed them and I was still glad to have read them. In a way, it takes part of the burden of enjoying something fully off of me.
That's probably a positive of book club regimented reading that's very specific to me, but whatever. Haha

Tizoc

Got my gf into comics with Saga.

Ended up getting her the first two trades.

See if there are any Greg Rucka comics you think she might like.
For that matter I sadly have no Thread creation privileges to make a Greg Rucka thread.
I should write up one though :V

Owzers

I usually play male warriors on my first playthrough in RPGs where that's an option. I did the same here. Second playthrough, though... Female. Qunari. LESBIAN.

There will be no second playthrough for me because of its length, i have to live with the decision i made and the lack of girly hijinx. I didn't know if picking female would limit my romance options.

There will be no second playthrough for me because of its length, i have to live with the decision i made and the lack of girly hijinx. I didn't know if picking female would limit my romance options.

It does to a certain extent. You have different options. Though some characters will be available as a romance option for either a male or female player character, just as some have strict preferences for one sex. Though Solas will only go for a female elf. What a racist.

Filthy Slug

sounds great ya'll, but I don't wanna step on Strangers in Paradise reading thread toes, so we'll hold off on that for a bit.

But I do love the interest, and its crime drama style should be a good switch from the slice of life hijinxs of SiP

I mean, I'll be totally happy to start the Stray Bullets reading club too (though if JC wants to, that's great too). Stray Bullets would be a great choice.
Book clubs are perfect for getting you to finally buy and read those books that you've been meaning to read for ages but haven't gotten around to.
Also, speaking of regimented reading, so far I kind of like it. A lot of times, I start reading comics and then stop because I'm not enjoying it as much as I could be (not in the right place mentally or whatnot) and think I might as well wait until I can fully enjoy whichever comics, but with the reading club, I was like "Well, I've got to read these three issues today" and so I read them even though I knew I could've enjoyed them more another time, but I still enjoyed them and I was still glad to have read them. In a way, it takes part of the burden of enjoying something fully off of me.
That's probably a positive of book club regimented reading that's very specific to me, but whatever. Haha
Yeah, we can totally do this after SiP, and I'm sure we can hammer out all the details in a bit. I'm definitely excited about having a thread with people following along and reading a specific book. Should bring about some great focused discussion.

Kipp

Yeah, we can totally do this after SiP, and I'm sure we can hammer out all the details in a bit. I'm definitely excited about having a thread with people following along and reading a specific book. Should bring about some great focused discussion.

I'm looking forward to it!

Stray Bullets for book club #2? I'd be down for that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Greg Land's going to end up drawing Princess Leia and it will be unintentionally (?) disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom