• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2014. Alas, reading this thread backwards simply doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

so you finished up the rest of the Authority right

Yeah, I'd never read it before but I actually like those 7 Quitely issues quite a bit, possibly (though I'd have to reread) more than the Ellis/Hitch stuff. It's a worse comic without him on it though, much like New X-Men.

also I think you're right about Hitch, he really is quite good on Ultimates

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Odd specific request but I am in the mood for two types of stories please. (Not together, two different ones) Also it would be great if they were done and sold in some sort of collection type thing/tbs/omnibus.

First: Some sort of LOST type mystery, with thriller elements, twists, an overarching theme, and hopefully based in reality more that fantasy (Like if there is magic or supernatural forces they are behind the scenes) Grim-dark setting?

Second: Something similar to battle royale or the saw movies or cube, etc. People confined in a space, forced to do things to each other or find out what is going on. Confusion in the characters would be nice. Think the first 20 minutes of the Battle Royale.

Any ideas?

Messi

Maybe Y the last man first he first one

Avengers Arena for the second

avengersArena.jpg

Yeah, I'd never read it before but I actually like those 7 Quitely issues quite a bit, possibly (though I'd have to reread) more than the Ellis/Hitch stuff. It's a worse comic without him on it though, much like New X-Men.

also I think you're right about Hitch, he really is quite good on Ultimates

did you read Morrison's ghost wrote issue, #28? You can tell Morrison wrote it because Religimon, the new markertable faith commercialization satire

religimon.jpg

and yeah, Hitch with Neary with time to polish his work and Millar scripting = good

Odd specific request but I am in the mood for two types of stories please. (Not together, two different ones) Also it would be great if they were done and sold in some sort of collection type thing/tbs/omnibus.

First: Some sort of LOST type mystery, with thriller elements, twists, an overarching theme, and hopefully based in reality more that fantasy (Like if there is magic or supernatural forces they are behind the scenes) Grim-dark setting?

Second: Something similar to battle royale or the saw movies or cube, etc. People confined in a space, forced to do things to each other or find out what is going on. Confusion in the characters would be nice. Think the first 20 minutes of the Battle Royale.

Any ideas?

First one, maybe DMZ? Y: The Last Man?

Second one, definitely Avengers Arena, The End League or Boom's Deathmatch.

Any ideas?
Mind MGMT and Avengers Arena

frye

did you read Morrison's ghost wrote issue, #28? You can tell Morrison wrote it because Religimon, the new markertable faith commercialization satire

and yeah, Hitch with Neary with time to polish his work and Millar scripting = good

ooh shit, I didn't catch that. The run on the whole seems to have soo many of his obsessions that you see come up in his later Millarworld stuff in particular, though. I think this was the first comic where he could really let loose in terms of content after working on Swamp Thing and those Superman comics

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I got all of Y: The Last Man for Christmas so it is good it sort of fits one of those, thanks!

I was also looking at 100 bullets, do you think that could also sort of satisfy the first story type I want?

And for number 2, thank you for showing me Avengers Arena! Looking into it now, it looks perfect!

Tomorrow could be the day I get the Doom Patrol Omnibus. If not, my birthday on Jan. 5. I think the next big series I get into will be Preacher.

Zombine

Banned
I never got that Too Many Cooks hype. I thought it was pretty mediocre. Give me Eric Andre & Hannibal Buress any day over that.

tim1138

I always knew I had the best wife, but it was reaffirmed today. Due to family commitments on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we've always exchanged gifts on the 23rd, so as one of my gifts this year I got an amazing God Hates Astronauts hoodie. Hell yes.

Boogiepop

yldaB?

I epoh ouy dednamed a wen eno ot eb deppihs tuo thgir yawa. tahT tihs si ton elbatpecca. skcuS taht ouy tsum tiaw own.

:(

So close (guessing auto-correct got it or something).

Anyway, finished off volume 3 of Powers Definitive Collection, which is all I owned. Really liked the first arc in it with
the Superman analogue going nuts. Though it calls into question why nobody at least vaguely discussed the idea of using a power damper on him. Like, yes by the end it's clear he's effectively become a god so it certainly wouldn't have worked and that's fair enough, but you'd think the book could at least touch on it in the middle of everyone panicking, especially considering how Retro Girl died.
The other big arc got enjoyable by the end, but yeesh at that monkey issue, and I'm not to big on the wrinkle it adds to the character's background.

But yeah, definitely going to have to pick up the rest of those... and Exiles... and Hellblazer... and BPRD. My poor wallet.

With that new Quicksilver costume, Marvel are really giving DC some competition for worst costume redesigns.
That's probably mostly Daniel Acuna, same kind of designs he used in the Avenge the Earth arc.

Dude makes it work in his series, but it will probably show up in other comics looking terrible.

jackdoe

That's probably mostly Daniel Acuna, same kind of designs he used in the Avenge the Earth arc.

Dude makes it work in his series, but it will probably show up in other comics looking terrible.
That's the thing with these redesigns. Like Jim Lee's stuff, there's a base that works, but then you start chucking stuff onto the costume like panel lines and armor pieces and then it looks like a mess. And depending on how other artists interpret those "accessories" the costume can look great or look completely awful.

Tizoc

religimon.jpg

Wait Morrison wrote the Authority? I need to read that...I enjoyed Miller's Authority as well as Ellis'.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I feel like I've abandoned comics, but I just realized that I'm not thinking of Strangers in Paradise as a comic. Half because it's not your typical comic, and other half because I'm not really posting about it in here since there's the dedicated thread.
I feel like I'm letting you all down and becoming distant.

I always knew I had the best wife, but it was reaffirmed today. Due to family commitments on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we've always exchanged gifts on the 23rd, so as one of my gifts this year I got an amazing God Hates Astronauts hoodie. Hell yes.

Pics?

Ordered Sunstone, Stray Bullets Uber Allies Edition, and Stray Bullets: Innocence of Nihilism as my IST order this week.

We're still doing Stray Bullets for Book Club #2, right?

tim1138

I feel like I've abandoned comics, but I just realized that I'm not thinking of Strangers in Paradise as a comic. Half because it's not your typical comic, and other half because I'm not really posting about it in here since there's the dedicated thread.
I feel like I'm letting you all down and becoming distant.

Pics?

Shitty cell phone picture, hooray!

Messi

I'm gonna do my own Walking Dead book club.

Not really :(

All I've been reading is Strangers in Paradise. I like being in that world.

fauxtrot

Banned
Is the Stray Bullets omnibus still readily available? I need to pick that up if we are gonna have that be the next Book Club entry. I've been wanting to read it for a long time... and maybe it'll convince a few more people to pick up the upcoming single issues.

I'm going to do so either way, just to make sure it keeps coming out, thanks to that discouraging tweet from earlier in the thread.

Is the Stray Bullets omnibus still readily available? I need to pick that up if we are gonna have that be the next Book Club entry. I've been wanting to read it for a long time... and maybe it'll convince a few more people to pick up the upcoming single issues.

I just nabbed it for $34 on IST. 1200 pages of.... well, I don't quite know yet. JC can probably tell you more.

Just wanted to say thank you

A month or so ago I asked about a good entry point into Marvel, a few people recomended the new avengers

I picked up Vol 1: breakout and loved it, need to pick up the rest now

fauxtrot

Banned
Just wanted to say thank you

A month or so ago I asked about a good entry point into Marvel, a few people recomended the new avengers

I picked up Vol 1: breakout and loved it, need to pick up the rest now

I'm glad one of us was able to help! Just to point out, if owning the issues isn't a priority for you, check out Marvel Unlimited for $10/mo... I have saved so much dough with that service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom