• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I enjoyed everything I read but they release too many books too often.

I read some of the later ones physically but this is fairly accurate. I'd say 12 was my last regular issue and I only read the Sejic annuals.

The original plan for me was to pause on Harley Quinn until Harley and PG was over. But along the way I decided to drop all my DC titles in favors of adding more Image titles to my subscription list.

Messi

The original plan for me was to pause on Harley Quinn until Harley and PG was over. But along the way I decided to drop all my DC titles in favors of adding more Image titles to my subscription list.

Can't be mad at that. Image are putting out such high quality books.

I kept putting off Harley to read the books I enjoyed less first in some ill fated attempt to read all the good stuff together. I've just ended up only reading middling books. I'll get to Harley over the weekend I think.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So what's your preference? Marvel, DC, or Valiant (lol).

I def love the DCU more than Marvel tbh.

I'm a DC fanboy and Poodle is a Marvel fanboy

Messi hates Harley and Drayco loves mutants.

PsychBat!

Banned
C3serAy.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My favorite comic ever is a DC comic

I suck at being a Marvel fanboy :(

I def love the DCU more than Marvel tbh.

I love both. If I were to choose one for reading, I'd probably go with DC. I've been reading a lot of older DC titles this year and I adore them. When you factor in Vertigo, it wins for me.

I do really love Marvel though. Daredevil in particular, came out of nowhere to become one of my favorite characters for me this year after reading two different runs. I'm getting Born Again this month and I am SO excited to read that.

TellTalle Batman...

I'm not opposed to a TellTale style Batman game, but having it actually be Telltale is... definitely a mark against it.

MG310

Apparently each of the Harley's Little Black Book variants are going to have 2 or 3 sketch covers mixed in randomly.

Something tells me some retailers will be feeling up all of the copies for the ones with more solid cover paper.

Messi

Apparently each of the Harley's Little Black Book variants are going to have 2 or 3 sketch covers mixed in randomly.

Those are really cool. Great idea but no chance in hell I'll actually get one.

Can I get in on this Inhumans love in? I just read All New Inhumans #1 and I thought it was really great. Fun characters and great art. I'm gonna keep pulling this.

Rhaknar

Campbell's still drawing the ladies huh?

Rhaknar

He certainly has a style. A style I don't mind seeing. You know what you are getting with Cambell.

Yes. You get perfection :3

BTW my puppy's surgery to remove a lump from his leg went fine. Huge cut on his thigh now tho, but chick's dig scars right ;_;

Sorry just felt like sharing some good news

Tomita

The retro lettering on the Wada variant for Scarlet Witch...

I think I gotta double dip and get the Aja and the Wada covers. Oh man. Help.

The extended preview still has hideous art but the art in issue two is stunning so that's okay.

Am I the only one who cares about Wanda? lol she is my gurl. Three favorite mutants: Magneto, Scarlet Witch, and Nightcrawler. Also
sucks if Cyclops is legit dead. I'm not the hugest fan of him, but damn :/

Also damn I'm fucking loving Affleck's Batman. Sooooo excited for the movie. 2016 is so far away.

Lex was ridiculous though and I still kinda hate it because Lex is one of my favorite DC villains, but...if I just pretend Eisenberg's not Lex and he's just this other weird rich freak I think it'll be okay. I dunno...

Damn, maybe I shoulda got on these Inhumans books. Don't feel like I can really rearrange my pull tho atm.

I'm more of an Image fan, but out of those, I'd say Marvel.

I kept putting off Harley to read the books I enjoyed less first in some ill fated attempt to read all the good stuff together. I've just ended up only reading middling books. I'll get to Harley over the weekend I think.

Something like this has happened to me. It's surprisingly easy to find yourself too busy reading average books to dig into the best books. Often for me it was trying out middling monthlies while my well-regarded trades and HCs pile up on the shelf unread.

BTW my puppy's surgery to remove a lump from his leg went fine. Huge cut on his thigh now tho, but chick's dig scars right ;_;

Yay! Glad to hear it.

Messi

Yes. You get perfection :3

Good news about your puppy. Chicks do dig scars. Hopefully he is back in good spirits soon :)

Damn, maybe I shoulda got on these Inhumans books. Don't feel like I can really rearrange my pull tho atm.

I'm more of an Image fan, but out of those, I'd say Marvel.

Something like this has happened to me. It's surprisingly easy to find yourself too busy reading average books to dig into the best books. Often for me it was trying out middling monthlies while my well-regarded trades and HCs pile up on the shelf unread.

Yay! Glad to hear it.

I always felt like I could read middling books anytime but I needed to be in a good mood to read the best books so I get the best experience. But in the end that was bull and led to me never reading them and hoarding them.

Rhaknar

He's always in good spirits which is actually a problem because he's suppose to not move a lot in the next 10 days until the stiches come off but he's so hyper he doesn't give a fuck. Still bouncing all over the place no matter how much I yell at him to chill. He jumped over my fucking 9 year old retriever today ffs. He also doesn't care about the head cone and didn't go down from the anesthesia, the vet had to give him a Valium, I sware to god

Devil dog

Batman & Robin Eternal #5-8 reviews

B&RE #5
Great Francis Manapul cover on this. Dick Grayson goes to investigate Tim Drakes parents thinking he could be one of Mother's children. Two fights happen in this and both are pretty poor, Grayson fights Poppy (the cannibal spy or something in a blue jumpsuit). Cassandra beats down on new Villain Orphan, he's going to need a hand after this fight. Drake confronts Grayson about investigating his parents and is pissed, he punches Dick in the face and tells him to back off.

B&RE #6
Tony Daniel is back for an issue. What does a Batman and Robin story always need more of? Robin angst. Dick made a mistake in the past when he didn't listen to Bruce and almost got himself killed, he survives but is angry that he's not living up to Bruce's standards. He's probably right too. Batman then learns a little more about Mother (Remember this is all taking place in the past). Next issue: Dick and the Girls go to Prague.

B&RE #7
Never heard of Alvaro Martinez but he does a good job on art in this issue. One double page spread in particular was pretty good. Still nothing too exciting happening yet. Harper and Cass go to the Ballet to watch this performer that connected to Mother, some nice moments between the two of them and then they are attacked by Ballerinas. Next issue: Grayson v Mother: Dawn of Justice

B&RE #8
Mostly the same team as the last issue. Still giving this the "Just Okay" rating. Grayson and Mother face off as Harper and Cassandra fight off Ballerinas. This new Villain, Mother is finally revealed to do her best Bond villain monologue to Grayson. The problem I have with this whole scene is she isn't the least bit threatening. She doesn't have a guard around her, Grayson isn't bound or held back, but the scene tries to play it like he's helpless.

Sidenote: I wish the series could include some more jokes and quips, they are playing it way too serious.

That is the update for B&RE for last month.

Batman & Robin Eternal #5-8 reviews

B&RE #5
Great Francis Manapul cover on this. Dick Grayson goes to investigate Tim Drakes parents thinking he could be one of Mother's children. Two fights happen in this and both are pretty poor, Grayson fights Poppy (the cannibal spy or something in a blue jumpsuit). Cassandra beats down on new Villain Orphan, he's going to need a hand after this fight. Drake confronts Grayson about investigating his parents and is pissed, he punches Dick in the face and tells him to back off.

B&RE #6
Tony Daniel is back for an issue. What does a Batman and Robin story always need more of? Robin angst. Dick made a mistake in the past when he didn't listen to Bruce and almost got himself killed, he survives but is angry that he's not living up to Bruce's standards. He's probably right too. Batman then learns a little more about Mother (Remember this is all taking place in the past). Next issue: Dick and the Girls go to Prague.

B&RE #7
Never heard of Alvaro Martinez but he does a good job on art in this issue. One double page spread in particular was pretty good. Still nothing too exciting happening yet. Harper and Cass go to the Ballet to watch this performer that connected to Mother, some nice moments between the two of them and then they are attacked by Ballerinas. Next issue: Grayson v Mother: Dawn of Justice

B&RE #8
Mostly the same team as the last issue. Still giving this the "Just Okay" rating. Grayson and Mother face off as Harper and Cassandra fight off Ballerinas. This new Villain, Mother is finally revealed to do her best Bond villain monologue to Grayson. The problem I have with this whole scene is she isn't the least bit threatening. She doesn't have a guard around her, Grayson isn't bound or held back, but the scene tries to play it like he's helpless.

Sidenote: I wish the series could include some more jokes and quips, they are playing it way too serious.

That is the update for B&RE for last month.

Issue 9 has plenty of that.

Actually, Jason's stuff in general is good for that sort of thing.

Tizoc

TellTalle Batman...

I'm not opposed to a TellTale style Batman game, but having it actually be Telltale is... definitely a mark against it.

Yes sadly.
Tales from BLands is their best game yet IMO but even I'm worried about how the game'll come out.
Like all telltale games though I'll get it on PC for $5 or less.

Issue 9 has plenty of that.

Actually, Jason's stuff in general is good for that sort of thing.

That is good to hear, I was mostly collecting this series wanting a more Dick-centric storyline but I'm not even sure he is my favorite part of this series. Freaking Bats in the past continues to steal the show.

Y'know this series probably needs Damien.

Rhaknar

Finished Rocket Racoon, I think the only issues I truly liked were the 2 issues in the ice planet with the ninja lady and the awesome art, the rest were whatever. Sorry Skottie, I still love you :/

Tomita

He's always in good spirits which is actually a problem because he's suppose to not move a lot in the next 10 days until the stiches come off but he's so hyper he doesn't give a fuck. Still bouncing all over the place no matter how much I yell at him to chill. He jumped over my fucking 9 year old retriever today ffs. He also doesn't care about the head cone and didn't go down from the anesthesia, the vet had to give him a Valium, I sware to god

Devil dog

Dog's are such dorks. Glad yours is doing okay though <3

Messi

Finished Rocket Racoon, I think the only issues I truly liked were the 2 issues in the ice planet with the ninja lady and the awesome art, the rest were whatever. Sorry Skottie, I still love you :/

Those were the two issues I was loving and posting about a week or two ago.

He is the artist on the new Rocket and Groot series.

Rhaknar

Those were the two issues I was loving and posting about a week or two ago.

He is the artist on the new Rocket and Groot series.

That pleases me imensely. I was actually hoping the artist had continued and the ninja lady had joined them in their space adventures, but alas, it was not meant to be

Messi

That pleases me imensely. I was actually hoping the artist had continued and the ninja lady had joined them in their space adventures, but alas, it was not meant to be

I was hoping for the same, I was so sad when it went back to the old art. Those issues are strikingly beautiful. His Rocket in particular is amazing.

Rhaknar

Halfway through All New Captain America #4 I did a double take and had to go back to the first page

"Man who's the artist on this again, this shit looks so good"

"Oh its Immonen, of course, carry on"

Forgot how much I was loving this book, really like what they are doing with Sam (or were at least before SW)

MartyStu

I have a heretical opinion: Non-Armor chill Bendis-Doom is pretty fucking cool.

I do not need or want a Loki-level rehabilitation, but I would LOVE to get more of this Doom before he is inevitably re-Armored.

I'm really digging Morrison's New X-Men. Genocide, vivisection, and organ harvesting and it's only been 7 issues. Fun for the whole family!

More reviews!!!

Klaus #1
Woah! The art in this is truly amazing, Dan Mora is an artist to look out for in the future. Sweet Christmas it was really beautiful. For the story, it is following a certain formula so far, but it more intriguing then your average Christmas story. Lilli the wolf is pretty awesome as well.

Huck #1
Millar is at it again, what he going to do this time, does everybody got the Millar Bingo cards ready. Rafael Albuquerque does amazing work in this. Dave McCaig, the colorist, is also doing great work on this sticking with earthy tones. Millar is keeping it simple so far with a pretty basic set up issue. Really loved that last page.

James Bond 007 VARGR #1
I already like this more then Spectre, so that's saying something. The opening is good, Ellis is always great at constructing a scene better then most writers in comics. Don't know so much about a "New Drug is being shipped to England" kind of story line, but it kept my interest.

The Goddamned #1
Oh boy, I opened up this comic knowing absolutely nothing about it. It is something alright. R.M. Guera's grittiness and roughness in his art it truly something to behold. Great stuff by Jason Aaron.

Monstress #1
Another beautiful book, Looks like this book will have a lot of deep lore to it, but Marjorie Liu tells it in such a way that keeps it simple. It reminds me of Saga in that way, it's easy to take in.

These are the new Issue #1's I'm starting. I have no idea how I could rank them, I enjoyed them all in their own way. I think Morrison and Millar have kind of similar style with their new mini series. The Goddamned and Monstress were both brutal in their own way. James Bond stood out the most but it reminded me a lot of how a new Marvel book starts.

Rhaknar

God damn it, I'm kinda turning around on Black Cat the Mob Boss. Fuck.

Going to have to steal from GAMEPROFF for this one

Top Bottom