• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

How has this been?
It's been....weird...the art's good, but the way it's plotted...it feels really confusing...I dunno. It alternates between flashbacks and present day in a way that I have a hard time separating them.

I'll keep going with it just to see.
Alright. I just feel like some of the praise Remender gets here is borderline hyperbole. Kinda like the praise I use to give Hickman back then. So many people love many of his books that I just don't want to say anything that might offend people here.

I really liked Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers. He's 2-0 for me, so I really really like him.

Messi

See? It's either one extreme or the other! No one is ever allowed the middle ground.

You don't remember people shitting all over him for axis and posting sirens and the axis logo on every post?

I think people are saying nice things about him because he is writing some really great indie books. But if you don't like them that is fine. Feel free to talk about it in the thread. No one here is going to devalue your opinion. They might have a back and forth with you but that is just how message boards work.

PsychBat!

Banned
Oh PsychBat, I'm just kidding. Every point is fair and should be allowed.

giphy.gif

You don't remember people shitting all over him for axis and posting sirens and the axis logo on every post?
Yeah but people shat on the event, less on the man himself.

I think people are saying nice things about him because he is writing some really great indie books. But if you don't like them that is fine. Feel free to talk about it in the thread. No one here is going to devalue your opinion. They might have a back and forth with you but that is just how message boards work.
It's not that I don't like his indie books or anything. I don't dislike them either. Whenever I see the words Remender, I just think of his distasteful Havok speech and his even more distasteful tweet afterwards.

Owzers

how was the Harley Quinn and Power Girl series compared to the regular Harley Quinn/PG team-up issues?

I really liked Uncanny X-Force then sort of liked Uncanny Avengers once it became more like Uncanny X-Force after that awful first m-word-cassaday-disappointing-art arc. Then AXIS happened.

Remender is really yappy with the narration and inner monologue yap yap yap. I've only read a couple of his books, but I tend to prefer less yappy books.

Tizoc

How's the current Sonic comic? I really like Archie's Mega Man, so I'm curious as to how the Sonic one is. I've always been interested in the Sonic comics, but they always seemed insanely convoluted.

A good starting point is the crossover event
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1...s=sonic+worlds+collide&ie=UTF8&qid=1449293105
You don't need to know much from the Sonic comic since this event was intended tor eboot the Sonic omics continuity, and merely requires the reader to know the events of the games

From there it's a bit of up and down (art of the next few issues were really weak)-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/162738927X/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1627389288/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1627389393/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There are some good moments in there, just go in for a light hearted adventure romp and you'll be fine.
Now if you want the pre-reboot stuff, just go with the Sonic Saga books-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936975165/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And Sonic Universe books which take place during some stories in the SS books
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1879794861/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These were the first stories that Ian Flynn, current writer and ther eason Archie's VG based comics are so good, ever wrote for the series and his first job was getting rid of a variety of characters and concepts introduced from the 160+ issues before him.
You'll see references to past events whcih don't matter, because his characterization and writing are really good and entertaining.
Ian Flynn started writing the series with #160.

Sorry if this seems confusing but I hope I got the message through ^^;

Finally read Vision #2. Our we witnessing the next comic writing prodigy? He seems to have the love of the medium, he has the great ability of finding what makes a character tick, and he has a great ability to make you care about anything he writes. Who the fuck knew, Vision, a Marvel property, would be one of my favorite books as a primary DC fan. 20 years from now, will people put Kings work side-by-side with the likes of Morrison, Ellis, Gaiman and Moore? No one knows, not even me, but with his body of work in the last year, it's easy to speculate.

Tizoc

Finally read Vision #2. Our we witnessing the next comic writing prodigy? He seems to have the love of the medium, he has the great ability of finding what makes a character tick, and he has a great ability to make you care about anything he writes. Who the fuck knew, Vision, a Marvel property, would be one of my favorite books as a primary DC fan. 20 years from now, will people put Kings work side-by-side with the likes of Morrison, Ellis, Gaiman and Moore? No one knows, not even me, but with his body of work in the last year, it's easy to speculate.

I find James Roberts to be that prodigy and he's been writing comics for near 5 years now.

Tizoc

OK gonna go read through what books I don't want anymore so I can put them in the sell off bin.
Starting with Aztek by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar, let's see if this book aged well :V

Also lol at all those PS4 peeps crying over the price of PS2 classics on PS4.
Now they know how Wii U owners feel :V

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
has the Vision guy written anything I might have read before?

so no DC lol

This teenage rebel arc in New X-Men is pretty... bad? Or at least a let down compared to the rest of the stuff.

but Riot at Xavier's is amazing and you should feel bad for having such a bad opinion. Like, I would go sit down, drink some coffee right now, and think about what Im doing with my life if I had such bad opinions

Tizoc

does anyone read Invincible by Robert Kirkman

a friend told me that its better than most of Marvel/DC in terms of superhero comics

I stopped reading the book months ago but the early 100 or so issues are indeed good, you can either get the gigantic omnibuses if you want it in book format or the regular published editions.

PsychBat!

Banned

a friend told me that its better than most of Marvel/DC in terms of superhero comics

A bunch of us do. I need to catch up btw.

Your friend is right and wrong. I think it used to be better than most comics in Marvel/DC's library buuuuuuut... hmmmm.... as time went on Marvel and DC just had better books.

PsychBat!

Banned
He's gonna make fun of our books, guys! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

In all seriousness

Superior Spider-Man
Thor: God of Thunder
Avengers/New Avengers

These are books that were out a couple of years ago and I have no absolute favorite book from Marvel or DC right now. Amazing Spider-Man has been a lot of fun so maybe that.

Tomita

Ordered the We Can Never Go Home HC!!!

It wasn't hard to find for anyone interested.

Also here is a preview for the TPB coming out next week.

I keep hearing amazing things about it.

So the paperback price is $9.99? Saw that on Amazon last night but thought "Nah, that can't be right." Hopefully this can be a birthday present for me. (Already kinda told people what I want for Christmas, lol) Wonder what they're gonna do about that "female superhero costume" sequence.

The Kris Anka cover for Scarlet Witch #2 just came out... Man I fucking love Anka. I'm so psyched for this series! Especially can't wait for #2 in particular. Digging so many of the artists for this series. Really hoping the writer does Wanda well.

besada

Banned
what are your top 3 marvel/dc comics right now guys?
Marvel: Vision, Doctor Strange, Miracleman
DC: Sheriff of Babylon, Prez, Unfollow

DC was harder for me. I wanted to add Omega Men and Justice League 3001 in, but Prez squeaked past both of them.

I'm glad he didn't ask for indies, because that would be hard to get down to three.

I read The Goddamned tonight, which has an ultraviolent start and a fascinating last page. Looking forward to more. Read Saga 31 and Black Science 18. Saga is just Saga. It can do no wrong. Black Science seems to be starting a self-exploratory phase, which is okay, but sometimes Remender gets lost in a therapy session.

A good starting point is the crossover event
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1...s=sonic+worlds+collide&ie=UTF8&qid=1449293105
You don't need to know much from the Sonic comic since this event was intended tor eboot the Sonic omics continuity, and merely requires the reader to know the events of the games

From there it's a bit of up and down (art of the next few issues were really weak)-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/162738927X/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1627389288/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1627389393/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There are some good moments in there, just go in for a light hearted adventure romp and you'll be fine.
Now if you want the pre-reboot stuff, just go with the Sonic Saga books-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936975165/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And Sonic Universe books which take place during some stories in the SS books
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1879794861/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These were the first stories that Ian Flynn, current writer and ther eason Archie's VG based comics are so good, ever wrote for the series and his first job was getting rid of a variety of characters and concepts introduced from the 160+ issues before him.
You'll see references to past events whcih don't matter, because his characterization and writing are really good and entertaining.
Ian Flynn started writing the series with #160.

Sorry if this seems confusing but I hope I got the message through ^^;
I'll figure out. Much obliged.

Fintan

I've read most of the hardcovers. Think I'm behind by one or two. It's a good comic with fun characters and amazing art. But I don't really like Kirkman as a writer, his dialogue annoys me.

Overall worth reading, because like I said, the art is amazing.

Mindwipe

I could use Google play rewards for comics, but only through Google Books and Marvel Comics app. Any other store apps where I can use those rewards? Comixology is my preferred choice, but it doesn't use Google payments.

Can't you buy through the various apps that are powered by CMX but still take Play in-app purchases, and then have them sync back to your CMX library? Bit of a faff but it would work.

riot at xaviers is phenomenal. it distills everything thats inherently and specifically interesting and puts it together in one arc.
slow your roll bro haha

to be considered a prodigy youre not allowed to be bald. if theres any writer now who you could possibly label as a prodigy it would most likely be Noelle Stevenson who is up for national book review awards at 23. for artists, you probably gotta give it to tradd moore

riot at xaviers is phenomenal. it distills everything thats inherently and specifically interesting and puts it together in one arc.

slow your roll bro haha

to be considered a prodigy youre not allowed to be bald. if theres any writer now who you could possibly label as a prodigy it would most likely be Noelle Stevenson who is up for national book review awards at 23. for artists, you probably gotta give it to tradd moore

A few definitions to the word "prodigy". Not exclusive to just age. He is in his infancy as a writer. The quality of his work is not of the ordinary. Even Scott Snyder on Twitter has already called Kings work on Vision as inspirational.

qVMEFMU.jpg

Owzers

What books do you dislike the least?

much easier to answer....East of West comes out on top, then Walking Dead despite its inconsistency lately with too much awkward Rick talk, and Doctor Strange/Howard the Duck both have potential to be liked.

I need to start Paper Girls this weekend. Manhattan Projects feels like its over between the release schedule and the smaller focus.

A few definitions to the word "prodigy". Not exclusive to just age. He is in his infancy as a writer. The quality of his work is not of the ordinary. Even Scott Snyder on Twitter has already called Kings work on Vision as inspirational.

qVMEFMU.jpg

Have you heard the phrase an overnight success is 10 years in the making? King isnt in his writing infancy. He is in his late 30s. Snyder is all of 2 years older. In all likelihood, King has been writing for a long time but just got his break this decade. Its cool that you're very enthusiastic about his work right now but prodigy isnt a fit description for King.

It wouldnt have been for Moore, Morrison or Ellis either. Each of those guys worked in relative obscurity honing their craft for a while before they eventually became great writers. It would be a fit for Frank Miller who was handed a job at Marvel and drawing Spider-Man by the age of 23. Or Chris Ware who was hand picked by Art Spiegelman while Ware was in college.

Owzers

New DCBS pre-order cycle is up, initial order thoughts:

50% off:
Wonder Woman Earth One HC
Power Man and Iron Fist #1

Rest:

Black science, paper girls, saga, walking bread
Doctor Strange, Howard the Duck, Karnak #5 of 6 (?), Patsy Walker #3, Ultimates #4.

Maybe:

Nailbiter Deluxe Hardcover - I want to read more for sure, but i have vol 1 and might just get vol 2 trade instead, don't really need the OHC but it's close to the same price in the future if i don't mind waiting more.

Archie vol 1 trade, would rather wait for digital sale, same with Paybacks vol 1 from DH

Hellboy and the BPRD 1953 Beyond the Fences #1 - so far behind and might wait for digital like the rest of this series.

Darwyn Cooke series Harley and Supergirl figures, probably want to see final designs first, Supergirl is a definite buy if it's not awful because of the included two pets.

Top Bottom