• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

PsychBat!

Banned
I just can't be arsed to care about Vision after that crap he did to Wanda.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Um all I'm reading for DC right now is American Alien, Black Canary, and Lois and Clark. There, easy.

Marvel: Spider-Gwen (though it hasn't been as great as pre-Secret Wars), Captain America: Sam Wilson, and... Er, nothing else I'm reading right now is worthy of favorite.
Can I put in Scarlet Witch or is that too soon????

I don't read as many comics as you guy, welp.

Spider-Gwen?? Silk is where it's at.

Alright, Riot at Xavier wasn't bad, but screw those loser kids. RIP gas-boy.

Also, I'm too lazy to take screens but what the shit happened to Beak over the course of this series. The art, I mean. He went from an actual beak, to some weird creepy face protrusion, to basically being a weird looking skull with barely any beak. Isn't he supposed to be a bird???

ps as someone who's only X-perience with the franchise is the movies, I'm now sad Emma Frost was basically non-existent in the films. She and Cyclops are my faves.

Uncanny Avengers Vol. 5: Axis Prelude

So, I must admit I liked what I was reading. All this build up to Red Skull finally exerting domination, the themes Remender has been pushing in this storyline: dealing with the cycle of hatred, and whether or not killing is a solution. Acuña's art is gorgeous, though short-lived in this. Interesting that the trade covers two issues of Magneto, though they do lend themselves to the storyline.

I must say, I have to read Axis. I know that it's been said how bad it is, but I have to see the conclusion to this storyline. I have to. I've come to far.

Now, before I do that: Thor becoming unworthy, Cap losing the serum, and Logan losing his healing factor...did that all occur during Original Sin? Because that means that Original Sin occurred between Vol. 4 and Vol. 5 of UA. I should probably read that, too.

Alright, Riot at Xavier wasn't bad, but screw those loser kids. RIP gas-boy.

Also, I'm too lazy to take screens but what the shit happened to Beak over the course of this series. The art, I mean. He went from an actual beak, to some weird creepy face protrusion, to basically being a weird looking skull with barely any beak. Isn't he supposed to be a bird???

ps as someone who's only X-perience with the franchise is the movies, I'm now sad Emma Frost was basically non-existent in the films. She and Cyclops are my faves.

Now you know why every comic X-Men reader should be frustrated with those movies. Poor representation.

Don't read axis. Just skip it and read a synopsis. I know leading up to it you think you want to but just don't. I don't know what happened to Remender during that event

Tizoc

Gio Corsi the Playstation hero we don't deserve; as in he is too much of a good guy that really appreciates games

When he got on stage and showcased the upcoming titles I literally lost my shit
My mind froze
MY MIND FROZE FROM THE AWESOMENESS
YAKUZA 0; A great starting point for anyone who wants to get into the series
Last Blade 2; one of the BEST weapon based fighting games from the past 20 years

And that' just to name a few titles that were shown during the PSX stream

Seriously if you want to add 2 more games to your PS4 library look no further than those 2 I mentioned you will not be disappointed.
I'd go so far so as to say that Last Blade 2 is an example of video games as an art form.

Last blade series is one I hadn't played before. I'll check it out. I was giddy at all the announcements. Full throttle, yakuza zero, etc. of course most the gaf thread didn't care (most hate every game shown) but I did!

Uncanny Avengers Vol. 5: Axis Prelude

So, I must admit I liked what I was reading. All this build up to Red Skull finally exerting domination, the themes Remender has been pushing in this storyline: dealing with the cycle of hatred, and whether or not killing is a solution. Acuña's art is gorgeous, though short-lived in this. Interesting that the trade covers two issues of Magneto, though they do lend themselves to the storyline.

I must say, I have to read Axis. I know that it's been said how bad it is, but I have to see the conclusion to this storyline. I have to. I've come to far.

Now, before I do that: Thor becoming unworthy, Cap losing the serum, and Logan losing his healing factor...did that all occur during Original Sin? Because that means that Original Sin occurred between Vol. 4 and Vol. 5 of UA. I should probably read that, too.

Now you know why every comic X-Men reader should be frustrated with those movies. Poor representation.

Thor's stuff happened in Original Sin, Cap losing the serum happened in Remender's Captain America: The Iron Nail and The Tomorrow Soldier, Wolverine's stuff was in the Cornell runs and it was REALLY bad, which is strange for me as I usually like his stuff (his Doctor Who: Four Doctors mini is on my comics of the year list, and Captain Britain and MI-13 is one of my fav books ever).

AXIS was bad because it was too little story, made too fast and spread out over too many issues. A six-issue, monthly series with one decent artist would probably have been good, as a nine-issue event in less than three months, it was simply too much. It felt like it could have used a few more drafts, there probably wasn't time between Remender's indie books (which he's right to pursue) and the real life issues that lead to him quitting Marvel. The art was godawful in places given all the fill-ins that had to brought in to get it on time, stickmen would have been better than some of the panels in the last few chapters.

Tizoc

Last blade series is one I hadn't played before. I'll check it out. I was giddy at all the announcements. Full throttle, yakuza zero, etc. of course most the gaf thread didn't care (most hate every game shown) but I did!

Last Blade 2's soundtrack is the GOAT, like just LISTEN to this-
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjipjJrLYWJgX-ZM0dU9OdJ1FQlb2frsQ
The music even FITS with the setting, which is Bakumatsu period, the melancholic theme in the music just hits you right in the feels.

And that's the music using VG hardware, look up the Arrange soundtrack and marvel at it more.

Owzers

Ants, the rest of my statues are all ants.

XahLVJe.jpg

then here is the side of the head's hair that i need to consider touching up, they didn't quit paint far enough to the left of where they were supposed to, where the mold of the hair starts.

finding the right redish/orangish paint might be hard, i'll see how close i can get it and maybe just not bother if it's awful. There is a spot under her cap where black paint heavily got onto one spot, i could probably use whatever reddish color i have just to take the strength off it. All in all i think it's better than i expected since i've seen some bad shots. One of the hair tips isn't curly like other people's photos, but it's not broken off either, so i guess whoever molded it just thought " there are enough curls for you, stub time".

Wanna try this three favorites thing..

DC: I think I'm only reading three. Twilight Children, Clean Room and Detective Comics. Love Twilight Children.
Marvel: Don't read many of these either but I love Squirrel Girl and Mighty Thor. The new Wolverine is pretty fun, too, so that can be #3
Image: Outcast, Saga, The Walking Dead. Once I catch up on The Fuse, Lazarus and Southern Bastards, this list will probably change.

Oh yeah, favourites:

Marvel: Doctor Strange, The Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel
DC: Justice League 3001, Batman, Gotham Academy
Others: Transformers More than Meets the Eye, Rumble, Rat Queens

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You did the right thing.

Now if you kissed Warren, then we'll have to talk. Although hugging him is actually worse, he has a good sniff of Max like a creep.
I kissed him

I just dont like how they went full
Bioshock Infinite
in the end. I really loved the small scale, personal moments in the game... But its funny how thos really fits:
tumblr_mttava4Fqa1sv9k5oo2_500.gif

Hagi

Thanks for the spoiler with no context. Fantastic..

hah I picked a bad time to lurk I only just finished episode 3 .__.

I haven't read anything not manga in a few weeks but I'm going to buy We Can Never Go Home soon because the preview was cool and I've seen a lot of positive impressions going around.

tim1138

Favorites

DC - Justice League 3001, Midnighter, The Legend of Wonder Woman
Marvel - I'm only reading three, so Vision, Karnak, Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur
Image - Nameless, Manhattan Projects, ODY-C

Messi

Marvel Dr Strange, Invincible Iron Man, Extraordinary X-Men

DC Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Robin Son of Batman

Indie Saga, Low, Shutter (honorable mention to Deadly Class and Rumble)

Indie was hard the others were simple.

PsychBat!

Banned
Marvel Dr Strange, Invincible Iron Man, Extraordinary X-Men

DC Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Robin Son of Batman

Indie Saga, Low, Shutter (honorable mention to Deadly Class and Rumble)

Indie was hard the others were simple.

I don't know Messi, I have a feeling you were gonna type Silk until you realized she turned in to a villainous scumbag.

:p

VanWinkle

The New Frontier is SO GOOD. Wow. I've noticed that it is basically 18 issues long instead of six, since it seems that each issue has three ~21 page chapters.

PsychBat!

Banned
instead of ranking our favorite titles by publisher, why dont we rank our favorite posters by ethnicities? retweet if you agree

Oh in that case.....

I don't know who's what or what.

I know Ed is Mexican and Messi is Irish buuuuuuuut that's it.

Everyone assumes I'm white outside of ComicGAF.

Just finished the Planet X arc. Easily the weakest of the whole run (I'll read the last arc after some more studying so idk for now). It's like Morrison realized his own twist was terrible but he had spent too much time building it up so he had it go down as weak and pathetically as possible. I don't really like "Kick" as a plot device either. Super drugs that make people go crazy is a pretty lame trope.

Next I think I'm going to read Astonishing X-Men.

Interesting to see Outcast on at least two list but nobody ever talks about it in here.

I feel like I have talked about it every time a new issue comes out. It's my first Kirkman book and it has been quality every issue. It's hard for comics to really convey horror without the sense of sound but Kirkman does an excellent job creeping you out.

I feel like Im overdrawing. Adding a lot of details and lines that dont add much to the page but I cant really stop myself. Im like sillymonkey trying to fix up his statues. I know its a mistake but I cant stop it.

As an example, here is a panel. First is the print size version of it and then the size I work at

I read a lot of comics but sometimes never talk about them here.

Yeah but this is a persons top three Image comic.

Also please share the awesome comics you read Bii.

I feel like I have talked about it every time a new issue comes out. It's my first Kirkman book and it has been quality every issue. It's hard for comics to really convey horror without the sense of sound but Kirkman does an excellent job creeping you out.

Darn, I must keep missing it when it comes up in the thread. Outcast has been a great comic and Paul Azaceta is freaking brilliant on it. Love the tone of that book.

Man it's a good day.

Read some comics. Watched a Great who finale to the best who season ever. I keep watching that FF7 remake trailer and that FF7 ps4 theme is so amazing. Worth the purchase by itself.

Owzers

I feel like Im overdrawing. Adding a lot of details and lines that dont add much to the page but I cant really stop myself. Im like sillymonkey trying to fix up his statues. I know its a mistake but I cant stop it.

As an example, here is a panel. First is the print size version of it and then the size I work at

Keep going...

Thor's stuff happened in Original Sin, Cap losing the serum happened in Remender's Captain America: The Iron Nail and The Tomorrow Soldier, Wolverine's stuff was in the Cornell runs and it was REALLY bad, which is strange for me as I usually like his stuff (his Doctor Who: Four Doctors mini is on my comics of the year list, and Captain Britain and MI-13 is one of my fav books ever).

AXIS was bad because it was too little story, made too fast and spread out over too many issues. A six-issue, monthly series with one decent artist would probably have been good, as a nine-issue event in less than three months, it was simply too much. It felt like it could have used a few more drafts, there probably wasn't time between Remender's indie books (which he's right to pursue) and the real life issues that lead to him quitting Marvel. The art was godawful in places given all the fill-ins that had to brought in to get it on time, stickmen would have been better than some of the panels in the last few chapters.
It's disappointing that such a fantastic long-spanning arc had to end in such a manner. Still, I need to form my opinion. Gotta finish what I started.
Only the first happens in Original Sin, the other two happen in their respective solo books

Appreciate this. I ask because I'm reading UA, and immediately all three are in that position. So with all these things happening together, I was curious as to what happened.

Are Remender's Cap and Punisher runs good? I know Brubaker and Rucka are the definitive respective runs on both, but I'm curious how Remender's runs are.

besada

Banned
Are Remender's Cap and Punisher runs good? I know Brubaker and Rucka are the definitive respective runs on both, but I'm curious how Remender's runs are.
Remender's Cap was mostly weird, and un-Caplike, but not bad. I was not a huge fan of Frankencastle, but otherwise really enjoyed his Punisher run.

Top Bottom