• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Bii

Yeah but this is a persons top three Image comic.

Also please share the awesome comics you read Bii.

Off the top of my head.

Marvel: Darth Vader, Ms. Marvel, Star Wars
DC: Batman, Harley Quinn/Power Girl, Starfire
Image: Low, Saga, Deadly Class

Like others, narrowing down my current favorite Image comics was tough. Shutter, Chew, Southern Bastards and Descender would have rounded out my Image list.

All this talk of favorite current comics reminds me that last year a lot of the posters here would post their top ten comics of the year with a little review about why it's so good, I hope some of y'all will do it this year too.

Also last year ViewtifulJC gave us this present:
superman_batman_santa_2.jpg

He writes:

Dear Daily Planet,

Is there a Santa Claus?

My friend Billy says there isn’t. He says Santa Claus is for babies. He says it’s all made up and big kids know better.

That’s not true, is it? Can reindeer really not fly? Is nobody checking if I’m good or bad? Is it all a big lie?

I’m asking you because my daddy says everything in your paper is true. Except the part about the moon landing.

Yours Truly,
Tyrone Jenkins III
tyrone2.jpg

superman_batman_santa_3.jpg

superman_batman_santa_4.jpg

superman_batman_santa_5.jpg

superman_batman_santa_6.jpg

superman_batman_santa_7.jpg

superman_batman_santa_8.jpg

superman_batman_santa_8_5.jpg

superman_batman_santa_9.jpg

All this talk of favorite current comics reminds me that last year a lot of the posters here would post their top ten comics of the year with a little review about why it's so good, I hope some of y'all will do it this year too.

I plan on posting a list soonish. This year I'm gonna focus more on older series/books I read as opposed to just ongoings. Mainly because I'm reading a lot of the same series and I thought it would be fun to focus on different books.

Love that comic too. JC pulls up a lot of fun random stories.

VanWinkle

Issue #3 of The New Frontier is incredible. Just read this part that has this narration about John Henry and I was blown away.

All this talk of favorite current comics reminds me that last year a lot of the posters here would post their top ten comics of the year with a little review about why it's so good, I hope some of y'all will do it this year too

I plan to post mine sometime this week. Like last year, it will be a list of comics I read for the first time this year. Won't be able to read much in the rest of the year anyway.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Spread 1-4: This is book is basically what would happen if The Thing got out of Antarctica but with a little bit of humor infused in. It's definitely getting a CMX sub. Dialogue is pretty sharp.

Tomita

Spider-Gwen?? Silk is where it's at.

That's what trades are for, though.

I can't buy issues of everything. :B

Ditto Ms Marvel, though truth be told I have read zero of it, but I fully intend to. I swear! Perhaps even after my finals are over if I can get it from my library.

I also feel more obligated to buy Spider-Gwen as issues verses trades. I know one could argue the same damn thing for Silk but...I dunno, I'll do what I want!! I just got super into Spider-Gwen pre-Secret Wars, okay?
I don't even like that it's called Spider-Gwen, but calling it Spider-Woman would just be confusing... ):

Also, to be fair to the Vision comic I'm not even reading... I might check it out when it's all done. I'd rather know where the story is going verses buying it issue per issue "blindly." Also, didn't he take brain matter* from Wanda (probably without consent cause why the hell would she agree? lol) and put it in his new Robot Wife who looks sad and depressed all the time? Welp, that's gonna go super well.

*Not literal brain matter, like...essence? Words are failing me.

Also last year ViewtifulJC gave us this present:
superman_batman_santa_9.jpg

Now I have context for this image. Truly amazing.

Spread 1-4: This is book is basically what would happen if The Thing got out of Antarctica but with a little bit of humor infused in. It's definitely getting a CMX sub. Dialogue is pretty sharp.

Damn that sounds intriguing.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Damn that sounds intriguing.

I should say that the tone is a bit lighter than The Thing. The Spread itself reminds me of a more advanced version of the thing from The Thing.

It also features a narration structure very similar to Saga if you've read that.

Got around to reading Vision #2. Damn, this book is great. It's different, and manages to be so disturbing while still being in line with the character.

PsychBat!

Banned
Gonna do a Star Wars Marathon with a friend next week. It's his introduction to Star Wars. The only one he has seen is The Phantom Menace.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, DC really shat the floor with the Annoucements for Summer 2016. Only one Deluxe Edition (Scalped) and not one modern Omnibus.
At least they start to collect Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka.

Uncanny X-Men Vol. 6: Storyville

Wow. Just wow. What a way for Bendis to end his run. Wrapping up every thread there was. Scott saying what the revolution was...well, that was easily my favorite part.

It's hard to put this into words. How I feel. I feel good though. A successful end to the run, I think. Previous to this I had already read UXM #600, but reading it again with all the context and build up was good.

However my run isn't totally complete. Those annuals aren't collected in UXM or ANXM, so I know nothing of what happened to Eva Bell.

That said, I've really enjoyed Bendis' Uncanny X-Men. Granted, Whedon is going to be above it, but I genuinely do love this book. I'm happy to have read it.

Welp, on to more of Morrison's run.

Tizoc

That Bat Santa thing is amazing
AMAZING

I just realized that if you take the New X-Men title logo and flip it upside down it still says New X-Men.

Oh I've known that for years :p

Gonna do a Star Wars Marathon with a friend next week. It's his introduction to Star Wars. The only one he has seen is The Phantom Menace.

Get the Despecialized editions of the original trilogy
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Ha...alized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/id/12713
Skip the prequel trilogy
You're welcome

At least they start to collect Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka.

Now collect his Superman run as well please!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You did the right thing.

Now if you kissed Warren, then we'll have to talk. Although hugging him is actually worse, he has a good sniff of Max like a creep.
Life is Strange Ending related

Wowsa.
Was the other ending bad.
Now I am curious what they do in the successor.

TheFlow

Banned
I don't have a def top ten list yet but

1.Saga
2.Deadly class
3.Stray Bullets:Killers
4.Sex Criminals
5.TMNT
6.American Vampire
7.East West
8.Giant Days
9.Hawkeye
10.Descender

Messi

Why does it feel like Sex Criminals is slowly dying off and will eventually stop? It comes out really infrequently.

Issue #3 of The New Frontier is incredible. Just read this part that has this narration about John Henry and I was blown away.

John Henry's story is probably the single strongest part of it. Everything else was good, but him? He was great.

Glad you're enjoying New Frontier, it's a personal favorite.

Owzers

I think i found a decent paint match for batwoman's hairline.....crimson, it's actually not deep red when it dries. I might have to get some paint work done.

Still reading through Archie vs Predator, i'm enjoying it mostly but i still don't think it's that good. Also the predator stuff, as a fan of Predator, doesn't have any good scenes really, he's the pop-up slaughter guy in a goofy horror comedy.

Tomita

I should say that the tone is a bit lighter than The Thing. The Spread itself reminds me of a more advanced version of the thing from The Thing.

It also features a narration structure very similar to Saga if you've read that.

Lighter tone is fine. I just really like the Thing in...The Thing, and alien invasion kinda stuff in general. Or even if it's just a monster and not from out of this world, whatever.

Fractions dad being in hospital and then dying is probably the reason. Or chip becoming a superstar.

Didn't know about Fraction, damn. :/ Haven't really been paying attention to Sex Criminals, though. I was already so behind on it when I got interest in it that I was like "fuck it, let's just wait for it to end and then I'll read it."

Messi

Lighter tone is fine. I just really like the Thing in...The Thing, and alien invasion kinda stuff in general. Or even if it's just a monster and not from out of this world, whatever.

Didn't know about Fraction, damn. :/ Haven't really been paying attention to Sex Criminals, though. I was already so behind on it when I got interest in it that I was like "fuck it, let's just wait for it to end and then I'll read it."

Fairly sure I seen a picture that showed his medical bill being just short of 500k :(

American Healthcare scares me. We have it much better here.

Day late, dollar short, but here it is.

DC: Grayson, Gotham Academy, Batman
Marvel: Vision, Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America: Sam Wilson
Image: Deadly Class, Invisible Republic, The Walking Dead

Valiant
someone asked for this, right?
: Ivar, Timewalker; Bloodshot Reborn; Ninjak

Tyme 4 leeest

New Romancer #1
Monstress #2
Trees #13
Walking Dead #149
We Stand on Guard #6
Gwenpool Special #1
Secret Wars #8
Ultimates #2

Giant Days #9
Batman #47
Grayson #15
Monstress #2
The Walking Dead #149
Amazing Spider-Man #4
Ninjak #10
Unity #25 (final issue :( )

I plan on starting all of those at some point, as well as Rai.

They're pretty much all worth reading, except maybe Shadowman, but Ivar and Bloodshot Reborn have been in a class of their own when it comes to just comics in general. I highly recommend them.

Top Bottom