• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
need a good run that's wrapped up - thinking Silk or Silver Surfer

any other short, fun runs that ended recently?

I'm not into superheroes all that much, honestly. But there are some good comics out there that transcend the limits of their genre.

I am, probably too much honestly. This era of so many movie and TV show adaptations has dampened that a little. Kid me would have loved it, but adult me just looks at those release calendars and just wants to go to bed and never wake up.

I hate it, because I feel too dumb for all the mature, adult stuff that people seem to like. I don't have TV, but when I'm at home I mostly watch cartoons (admittedly a lot of this is because I often get put on child-minding duty when I'm at home). I can't even get through an episode of something fairly light like Game of Thrones without feeling like my brain has eaten a Christmas dinner. I just end up playing with Lego or an action figure on my desk, or picking up my Steam Controller and randomly clicking buttons or something.

I'm going with my friends to see Star Wars on the Saturday of release, we're going to dinner afterward and I'm dreading the anime/American TV drama/ARK Survival Evolved talk. Anxiety is so bad, lately, just thinking about it.

I'm going with my friends to see Star Wars on the Saturday of release, we're going to dinner afterward and I'm dreading the anime/American TV drama/ARK Survival Evolved talk. Anxiety is so bad, lately, just thinking about it.

Entertainment exists to distract you from the shit that's causing you anxiety. If it's just another source of anxiety for you, then you're not doing something right. Is it social anxiety?

Tomita

I am, probably too much honestly. This era of so many movie and TV show adaptations has dampened that a little. Kid me would have loved it, but adult me just looks at those release calendars and just wants to go to bed and never wake up.

I hate it, because I feel too dumb for all the mature, adult stuff that people seem to like. I don't have TV, but when I'm at home I mostly watch cartoons (admittedly a lot of this is because I often get put on child-minding duty when I'm at home). I can't even get through an episode of something fairly light like Game of Thrones without feeling like my brain has eaten a Christmas dinner. I just end up playing with Lego or an action figure on my desk, or picking up my Steam Controller and randomly clicking buttons or something.

To be fair...I'm not sure how Game of Thrones is classified as "light."

Anyway, my list is not super pathetic this week so I guess I will post it even though it's not really a surprise to anyone reading my posts:

Batman / TMNT #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #3 (still haven't read #2 yet, d'oh)
SCARLET MOTHERFUCKING WITCH #1
Spider-Gwen #3

And I'll see if my comic shop ordered extra of Cap America #3 (sold out last week) and if not I'm just ordering online cause I want my Sam Wilson and I want it now.

PsychBat!

Banned
giphy.gif

Tomita

I really, really hope Finn
isn't Lando's son. I'm honestly dreading it if that's the case. And Lando is my favorite SW character.

Otherwise hyyyyype

Messi

I've been thinking about that. I mean, skipping some books is out of the question, but I do want to try to cut back on the stuff that's going to have a million tie-ins. I'm just enjoying the ANAD Marvel books too much right now. Maybe I can scale back when the novelty wears off a bit.

Look at Freeza and her lies. Never gonna happen.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I assume you're probably not into superheroes and superpowers and stuff, right? That would eliminate 90% of the comics you'd be interested in in the market, so that would help.

I like superheroes actually. The issue for me is more about price and formatting.

Digital Image books are cheaper.

Each Image book takes place in its own self contained universe. So I don't have worry about the books I like getting sucked into a stupid crossover every 6 months.

Image books tend to have more stable creative teams.

Image offers DRM-free back ups.

Plus I've always been an X-men/Deadpool guy and all 4 of those books look terrible to me right now. The stuff that seems to be getting the most praise right now like Doctor Strange or Vision just don't interest me.

Silk didn't end. It continues on in post SW with silk making shitty life decisions... Or so I hear.

Messi gonna be in such a rush to catch up on Silk 8 issues from now when he realizes we've been telling the truth about
Silk not really being evil

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
gonna check out Silver Surfer... needed more Allred in my life anyway

Silk didn't end. It continues on in post SW with silk making shitty life decisions... Or so I hear.

ah, guess i'll table that alongside Gotham Academy and Batgirl... will return to those when they're over.

I assume you also read MODOK Assassin? That one was pretty hysterical as well.

yerp!

We Can Never Go Home

will check it out, buddy

frye

i think i'm gonna get over my hangup with the fact that someone with a Korean surname is named Silk (because lol this shit is incredibly goofy) and read her book... maybe

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I did it... I'm all caught up with current stuff up to Secret Wars (just in time for tomorrow's update too). I can actually read everything as it updates every week now (well I was already doing that with Secret Wars stuff anyway).

Nova #29-31 was OK, Duggan continues to write a fun book despite the baggage associated with it. Sam reunites with his dad which will directly continue in the ANAD book I guess.

Guardians Team-up #1-2, 4-5 (3 was the black vortex tie-in so I had already read it) is mediocre filler which I really should have dropped sooner. It's actually not over yet, not sure I'll read the rest as it shows up on MU.

Ultron Forever #2 and 3 - this was a neat little story and I loved that it toed in to Avengers A.I.

Well that's it for current stuff (2014 onward), feels kinda weird now lol. Time to jump in on some older stuff then, not sure what to start with.

Superior Spidey or Aaron's Thor (the 2012 one, I read the Jane Foster stuff)? Or go way back and finally read Immortal Iron Fist (to get in the mood for his imminent release in Marvel Heroes)?

Messi

I did it... I'm all caught up with current stuff up to Secret Wars (just in time for tomorrow's update too). I can actually read everything as it updates every week now (well I was already doing that with Secret Wars stuff anyway).

Nova #29-31 was OK, Duggan continues to write a fun book despite the baggage associated with it. Sam reunites with his dad which will directly continue in the ANAD book I guess.

Guardians Team-up #1-2, 4-5 (3 was the black vortex tie-in so I had already read it) is mediocre filler which I really should have dropped sooner. It's actually not over yet, not sure I'll read the rest as it shows up on MU.

Ultron Forever #2 and 3 - this was a neat little story and I loved that it toed in to Avengers A.I.

Well that's it for current stuff (2014 onward), feels kinda weird now lol. Time to jump in on some older stuff then, not sure what to start with.

Superior Spidey or Aaron's Thor (the 2012 one, I read the Jane Foster stuff)? Or go way back and finally read Immortal Iron Fist (to get in the mood for his imminent release in Marvel Heroes)?

God butcher stuff from Aaron Thor (first two arcs) then superior Spider-Man.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
God butcher stuff from Aaron Thor (first two arcs) then superior Spider-Man.

Was about to say I just read Thor #1. Yo motherfucking Ribic does the art, why didn't anyone tell me? It should be Aaron / Ribic Thor just like we say Fraction / Aja Hawk guy! Umless, let me guess, he only does like 5 issues lol

Anyway that was a awesome start to the book and to this first arc. Also, future old Thor is missing his arm, so Aaron was actually planning that for awhile a parent, I love shit like that.

Edit: Ribic only draws about half of it according to Wikipedia. Oh well :(

Tomita

Might wanna spoiler that. Even speculation might be spoilery. Muthafuckas ain't had a new SW in a decade. Let them have this.

Well sorry for the late edit but I don't really consider that a spoiler at all? Like,
it's just cause they're both black people and space barely has any black people, apparently / racism
but Star Wars fans be cray cray... So not trying to be snarky here just lol didn't think about it being spoiler worthy. Sorry if I ruined it for someone. Finals studying is killing my brain anyhow ):

Rhaknar

Might wanna spoiler that. Even speculation might be spoilery. Muthafuckas ain't had a new SW in a decade. Let them have this.

How exactly can speculation be a spoiler. It is, in fact, the opposite of a spoiler. I refuse to accept that we have reached a point in spoiler culture where what amounts to fan fiction is now considered a spoiler. I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous.

Holy crap The Outcast #13 was so damn good! It's nice to have action sequences that aren't as straight forward as the usual good guy beats down bad guy. I love the art in this- the faces especially. Colouring fits well, too. Really nice focus to have all the elements working together to keep the tone of the book on point.
Mark can't really be dead, can he? Maybe he'll end up in a coma? Unless that really was like, a broken back, in which, case, yeah, not a good outlook.

Invincible readers, I'm curious, is the
reboot
still a thing?

PsychBat!

Banned
How exactly can speculation be a spoiler. It is, in fact, the opposite of a spoiler. I refuse to accept that we have reached a point in spoiler culture where what amounts to fan fiction is now considered a spoiler. I'm sorry but that is just ridiculous.

He's joking

and I told you to read the better Thor run before the Thor run! BLASPHEMER

i think i'm gonna get over my hangup with the fact that someone with a Korean surname is named Silk (because lol this shit is incredibly goofy) and read her book... maybe
Wait is there a thing about naming a Korean American super hero Silk? Like is silk a sterotypical nickname for Korean Americans or something? legit asking

Messi

Was about to say I just read Thor #1. Yo motherfucking Ribic does the art, why didn't anyone tell me? It should be Aaron / Ribic Thor just like we say Fraction / Aja Hawk guy! Umless, let me guess, he only does like 5 issues lol

Anyway that was a awesome start to the book and to this first arc. Also, future old Thor is missing his arm, so Aaron was actually planning that for awhile a parent, I love shit like that.

Edit: Ribic only draws about half of it according to Wikipedia. Oh well :(

He draws a full story. It's dope.

Rhaknar

Ribic's art is ridiculous. I would throw money at him to lock him down if I was Marvel (or DC), except the Secret Wars delay debacle has soured me on him a little.

frye

Wait is there a thing about naming a Korean American super hero Silk? Like is silk a sterotypical nickname for Korean Americans or something? legit asking

There's just something about naming an ~ethnic~ character with an item vaguely associated with that culture (see also: Katana) but it's worse in this case because the production of silk is more associated with China (and Japan to some extent) than Korea

Afrodium

Banned
I don't know how some of you keep your lists so trim.

I buy a very small amount of books monthly (like 5 or so) and read everything else on MU or when Comixology has a sale. I don't have any friends who read comics so beyond being able to understand what people are talking about on ComicGAF on Wednesdays I'm not really missing out on much by reading everything at a delay. Plus I save tons of $$$$$

I buy a very small amount of books monthly (like 5 or so) and read everything else on MU or when Comixology has a sale. I don't have any friends who read comics so beyond being able to understand what people are talking about on ComicGAF on Wednesdays I'm not really missing out on much by reading everything at a delay. Plus I save tons of $$$$$

You might be on to something. But thinking of how much I've spent on comics over the past six years makes me cringe.

Messi

You might be on to something. But thinking of how much I've spent on comics over the past six years makes me cringe.

I buy Harley Quinn digitally and all covers from my store. So I have all issues 2-4 times. That and I've bought 2k issues in two years on Comixology. This doesn't include trades.

Absolutely disgusting.

I don't want to think about pre digital.

This is definitely the smarter way to go. MU is an amazing deal. CMX has great sales.

But I love following a story as it's coming together. There's just something special about reading a book as each chapter is released. And sharing that with others who are doing the same. The story isn't done yet.. It's happening NOW. I dunno, it's just cool to me. Also this way my finger is on the pulse of the current themes and trends in comics, which interests me, too. But, yeah, if a person just wants to read good comics, and doesn't care about all that other junk, I don't know why they'd read monthly issues. It's a terrible idea financially.

VanWinkle

One of my brothers died tonight. I just, I don't know how to feel. I'm at a loss. This is the second brother I lost suddenly in six years. Just to let you guys know if I don't post for awhile or something, since this is pretty much the only community thread I care about.

One of my brothers died tonight. I just, I don't know how to feel. I'm at a loss. This is the second brother I lost suddenly in six years. Just to let you guys know if I don't post for awhile or something, since this is pretty much the only community thread I care about.

Oh shit D:

My sincere condolences, that's awful.

Rhaknar

I'm so sorry dude :(

Don't know what else to say

Shit, sorry for your loss. We're here for you if you need us.

Vyer

Really really sorry for your loss VanWinkle. My condolences.

Rhaknar

You know a book is good when all of a sudden you find yourself already on issue #8 and you didn't even notice it.

Not gonna lie tho, was kinda hoping that black shit Gorr has was a symbiote, what with the weapon morphing and tentacle action, especially when in issue #6 it falls from the sky. Like, the ultimate symbiote user, using it to its full extent unlike those silly humans.

Terrible idea :p

Messi

Oh man, I am really sorry for your loss.

PsychBat!

Banned
I'm sorry for your loss, VanWinkle.

Oh man. So sorry for you loss

Top Bottom