• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

So hooked on The Walking Dead that I haven't read much from the Marvel Reading Order. TWD moves so damn quickly that I both like it and hate it.

Owzers

This will be the first big event that i wait for MU to read i think. Bendis combined with already waiting to read Cap and Iron Man on MU, i can't see myself pre-ordering. Though...digital codes. No, no. I musn't. I've never thought to myself " you know what would make this event better? If Bendis wrote it"

edit: It might be more crossovery than eventy?

tQGAWMR.png

You mean how hard one of the best creative teams of the relaunch are going to kill it? Yes, that is going to be absolutely disgusting.

No, I mean it's weak that they're doing another Civil War just because of the new Captain America movie. Fucking marketing. There's no reason for it beyond the cash-grab. I will not be reading it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And this is why it's so easy for me to stay away from the big two. Less than two months into ANAD and they are already announcing a bunch of shitty crossovers.
Who had expected that they want to cash in into a big blockbuster movie.

I dunno, you guys sound always very excited when your Bendis Iron Man books drop, but of course this will be shit becaue of reasons.

Is DC big into events? I know about the Robin War but that's about it.

Also these Astonishing X-Men cliffhangers are killing me. I like New X-Men better so far but I can't stop reading.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Also these Astonishing X-Men cliffhangers are killing me. I like New X-Men better so far but I can't stop reading.
They just had their linewide event a couple of months ago. And they have Gimmick months once a year.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Who had expected that they want to cash in into a big blockbuster movie.

It was totally expected. That is why I stay away from ANAD from the very beginning.

Which was the reason I dropped Grayson. That books separation from the other Bat Family titles was one of it's big selling points for me. Well that and the excellent writing and good art helped too.

Tomita

Aren't we getting an X-Men event in late winter / early 2016? Eesh, events are just so exhausting to me. I feel like one a year is pushing it enough as it is, but now Secret Wars is delayed, and then Apocalypse, then this... Just hold your horses, Marvel, geez.

No, I mean it's weak that they're doing another Civil War just because of the new Captain America movie. Fucking marketing. There's no reason for it beyond the cash-grab. I will not be reading it.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Ditto X-Men honestly.

Any thoughts on Daredevil, all new all different avengers, and Nova?

ANAD is kind of still in its formative stages. I think Waid's going to eventually make it interesting. My main complaint is that Nova is annoying and completely out of place. His drama with Kamala is boring and shallow. I like how Waid writes literally everyone else.

I have not read Daredevil yet. However, I really don't want to read Nova lol

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Aren't we getting an X-Men event in late winter / early 2016? Eesh, events are just so exhausting to me. I feel like one a year is pushing it enough as it is, but now Secret Wars is delayed, and then Apocalypse, then this... Just hold your horses, Marvel, geez.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Ditto X-Men honestly.
Movie Tie-Ins are a thing since Spider-Man 1. I dont understand why everyone gets so angry about this now. When they wouldnt made a X-Men Movie Tie-In, everyone would get angry about that Mutant bias and everything. The last stupid shoehorned in Movie Tie In book with Ultron and Avengers from different periodes was also recived very well. And you guys are going nuts on Bendis Iron Man, too.

Not really? I'd say that they're a little more low-key about them than Marvel, if not by much. They tend to do more smaller crossovers e.g. Batfamily affairs. Have hardly conducted a thorough study of the matter, though.

It was totally expected. That is why I stay away from ANAD from the very beginning.

Which was the reason I dropped Grayson. That books separation from the other Bat Family titles was one of it's big selling points for me. Well that and the excellent writing and good art helped too.

Still say this was dumb.

Staying away from good books on the possibility that they become bad. Interesting.

The irony is, Grayson's best issue was a Batfamily tie-in.

Bombshells #20 continues the Batgirls arc, and it's a lot of fun. Would definitely read a series centering around just this team. Art in these last two issues is stronger than it's been in a while as well.

Legend of Wonder Woman #4 is another example of Great Comics. Gorgeous art and rock-solid writing. Eagerly anticipating the next one, since I suspect we'll finally see Diana with some moves.

shingi70

Banned
Why do people hate events and civil war in particular. I remember civil war being my first foray into comics after just being a fan of movies and cartoons my mom took me too.

Why do people hate events and civil war in particular. I remember civil war being my first foray into comics after just being a fan of movies and cartoons my mom took me too.

They're generally pretty bad, and they derail the individual books that are involved with them.

Civil War is done to death at this stage. The original, multiple What Ifs?, multiple adaptations across media, it's just so old at this stage.

Because generally speaking they're Not Very Good. DC's track record is a little better than Marvel's, but that just means that they're mostly bland rather than actively awful, and they still commit the sin of fucking with the books that they spring from. Naturally, there are exceptions; Secret Wars and Final Crisis are two standouts.

Civil War is most definitely not.

Marvel and DC kept putting out events year in and year out. Some of it was fatigue, some of it was that they felt inconsequential, some of it that the events werent good. Some of it is that they kept interrupting other books to do events.

Civil War gets a lot of crap for having a lot of heroes act out of character and having an anticlimatic resolution. In reality, it would have worked as it was initially pitched, an event for the Ultimate universe.

Secret Wars, and to a lesser extent Infinity, is the first event in a while to really feel like its definitely worth its hype.

Top Bottom