• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Secret Wars #3 - Doom and Strange being Bros is cute, I want a book where it shows them being Bros in the 8 years when they made battle world. Oh shit, Stephen knows this isn't the "real world? Also Doom Doom is pretty >_>

Renew Your Vows #1 was ok-ish, didn't do much for me. Kubert art is always nice at least.

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are having a heated debate about "writers vs artists, who's more important" on Twitter and I'm not sure if it's for real or not.

It's like watching your parents fight.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm shocked how much I just enjoyed Groot #1, especially when I didn't really care much about Rocket's solo outside of those two ice planet issues. This felt funnier tho, cuter, the art is lovely and the skrulls masquerading as humans cracked me up. As did the Superman joke. Cool first issue, hopefully it holds up.

Post highlights pls, not all of us Twot.

Twill?

Twert?

Whatever.

I'm on mobile 😩. Capullo was saying the likes of, "if not for art, writers would just have novels" and "I have to re-invent myself while Snyder pummels you with long dialogue using words, and then the same words, and then the same words...over and over..."

Turns out they were just kidding in the end 😅😅😅

Rhaknar

Guys, I don't think Princess Leia is very good :/

Issue #4 is more of the same, still boring, still with a weird place in the cannon and with the other books, still with ugly art, and my favorite thing about the book, her lady companion, barely does anything. Was this a mini or ongoing because I'm thinking of dropping it (as much as you can drop something on MU)

Star Wars #6 and Vader #6 both continue to be excellent, and they tie with each other nicely with Bobby Fett tracking down Luke as requested by Vader in his boo,. Also Leia is written much better in Star Wars then her own book.

TheFlow

Banned
Invincible Iron Man #1

-humorous
-good art
-Madam Masque
-potential love interest who calls Tony out for being a man whore

yeah this comic is awesome

I was so confused by the ending to Whedon's Astonishing until I saw that it's continued in a Giant Size. Th-thanks Marvel Unlimited. I'm actually kind of disappointed that there's another 42 pages left because I have a killer headache and I just want to finish fuuuuuuuuuuu

Also watching Cyclops (and Emma) be awesome makes their treatment in the movies almost funny. Are they still a couple in modern Marvel stuff? Even though there's like a teenage Cyclops now or something?

Messi

Guys, I don't think Princess Leia is very good :/

Issue #4 is more of the same, still boring, still with a weird place in the cannon and with the other books, still with ugly art, and my favorite thing about the book, her lady companion, barely does anything. Was this a mini or ongoing because I'm thinking of dropping it (as much as you can drop something on MU)

Star Wars #6 and Vader #6 both continue to be excellent, and they tie with each other nicely with Bobby Fett tracking down Luke as requested by Vader in his boo,. Also Leia is written much better in Star Wars then her own book.

Not a Dodson fan? Interesting.

Freeza I need my list.

Rhaknar

I was so confused by the ending to Whedon's Astonishing until I saw that it's continued in a Giant Size. Th-thanks Marvel Unlimited. I'm actually kind of disappointed that there's another 42 pages left because I have a killer headache and I just want to finish fuuuuuuuuuuu

Also watching Cyclops (and Emma) be awesome makes their treatment in the movies almost funny. Are they still a couple in modern Marvel stuff? Even though there's like a teenage Cyclops now or something?

No they broke up awhile ago. And be prepared for a lot of those situations on MU with the annuals :/

X-Tinction Agenda #1 was fun, just a good old fashioned x-men adventure. Great art too (same dude that did All New X-Factor recently I believe?). This line tho:

"Mutants. A blight upon the world"

Doom must be a gaffer >_>

Vyer

I haven't seen the Supergirl tv show, but I just stumbled across a character reveal that apparently just happened.
Martian Manhunter

I am honestly stunned at how good a job they did.

No they broke up awhile ago. And be prepared for a lot of those situations on MU with the annuals :/

X-Tinction Agenda #1 was fun, just a good old fashioned x-men adventure. Great art too (same dude that did All New X-Factor recently I believe?). This line tho:

"Mutants. A blight upon the world"

Doom must be a gaffer >_>

lol. Seems like you should never be happy with anything that happens in comics because it'll inevitably get fucked up somewhere down the line thanks to continuity. Especially relationships.

e: I was going to say manga wins here but 99% of manga relationships read like they were written by 12-year olds so scratch that.

Rhaknar

lol. Seems like you should never be happy with anything that happens in comics because it'll inevitably get fucked up somewhere down the line thanks to continuity. Especially relationships.

e: I was going to say manga wins here but 99% of manga relationships read like they were written by 12-year olds so scratch that.

Well it's not like they "one more day"ed it, they just ended things amicably. That happens in real life too :p

It was a semi recent thing too, like in the last 2 years, they were together for ages comic book wise

Cyke and Emma are no longer a couple. They break up before AvX.

Rhaknar

Why am I posting in that iron fist thread, I'll just be called a racist again soon lol

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Newsarama spoiled the Supergirl reveal.

Absolute cunts.

I've been loving Supergirl, hoping this will stop the haters.

I didn't expect it to be such a dark series.

I wasn't following it at all up to release, but the covers I'd seen gave a totally different vibe, which actually ended up matching up perfectly with the vibe of the actual book, even moreso than they did with the book I thought it'd be.

Words.

It's so incredibly well executed. I loved the musings on the water vase in the first issue.

PsychBat!

Banned
I feel the same way Except the "again" part.

I started reading the comic not too long ago. Enjoyed the first trade. I posted about it, but no one cared.

Well I also read up until the Hel crossover cuz it was an interesting premise bringing everyone together like that. The Supergirl ongoing is okay, nothing to write home about though.

Help me out, comics fans.

I've recently started buying comics again, and my daughter is really into them. She's 9. Now, her favorite character, thanks to the Spider-man cartoon, is Deadpool. I actually like Deadpool, too, but I know Deadpool more from the comics where he is both 4th wall breaking and super violent.

I'd like to get her a collected of something Deadpool related, but I'd also like to find something that is, well, not completely inappropriate. Any recommendations? I really appreciate it.

TheFlow

Banned

I've recently started buying comics again, and my daughter is really into them. She's 9. Now, her favorite character, thanks to the Spider-man cartoon, is Deadpool. I actually like Deadpool, too, but I know Deadpool more from the comics where he is both 4th wall breaking and super violent.

I'd like to get her a collected of something Deadpool related, but I'd also like to find something that is, well, not completely inappropriate. Any recommendations? I really appreciate it.
teen titans go has a comic

Well I also read up until the Hel crossover cuz it was an interesting premise bringing everyone together like that. The Supergirl ongoing is okay, nothing to write home about though.

I like Kara more than Clark, so that's probably why I enjoy it.

Hawkeye vs. Deadpool is the closest you're getting to "not inappropriate Deadpool" as far as I can say. Not a DP expert, though. Though even that might be much for a 9-year-old.

hmm thats a tough one. Im not sure how violent the old Joe Kelly Deadpool comics are...

hmm off the top of my head ASM 611 was not that violent
asm_611_713.jpg

I mean the first comics I really got into when I was that age was old silver age stuff. Essential Avengers and Essential Uncanny X-Men. My jam right there.

Rhaknar

Future Imperfect #1 was cool, makes me want to read the original. MU says it's just 2 issues (the original that is), is that right?

For such a famous story and character (in Maestro) I always thought it was a big event. Then again days of future past was just 2 issue story aswell

Ive seen like 20 min of teen titans go. seems like a fun cartoon for kids. very cute. it doesnt seem very superheroic to me but the episode i saw had robin try teaching futbol to the other teen titans so thats a plus in my book

Hmm... well, it's like you said, he's not really age-appropriate generally. There'll be individual issues here and there, but it's tough to recommend whole runs or even arcs :/

I'd second the Teen Titans Go suggestion. Lil' Gotham or... what's that Scottie Young joint called, the Avengers one. Those might be even better, actually.

Ive seen like 20 min of teen titans go. seems like a fun cartoon for kids. very cute. it doesnt seem very superheroic to me but the episode i saw had robin try teaching futbol to the other teen titans so thats a plus in my book

Actually, hard pass on TTG.

Top Bottom