• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

The art in the early Bendis DD issues is pretty bad. I mean it looks really stylistic and cool, but it's absolutely awful for actually telling a coherent story. There's a lot of copy/paste face going on as well, though I'm sure that's supposed to be part of the style.

Though it's better than the MS-paint tier art in issue #14/15 I think? I literally couldn't believe they published that.

Are you talking about David Mack's art? I loved his art in those issues, he did some incredibly creative work there. Some of it, like the part where Ben is talking about how he knows Matt is Daredevil, is stunning IMO. Worked really well for that first arc. If you think the copy/pasting is bad here, don't read Alias. Gaydos does this a LOT:
tumblr_nynz4lcrV31qdmrf4o1_1280.jpg
ugh

Speaking of Daredevil, I read some snippets of the ANAD stuff from panels online. Not a fan of what I saw. I do not like how Soule writes Matt and Foggy at all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hey remember when Psylocke wasn't a ninja (or a telekinetic for that matter)?

Dem 80s outfits. Where the hell is Longshot tho.

LosDaddie

Banned
10" tablet ordered for Christmas.

Ideal for comic reading

I hope so. I bought the wife & I an iPad Air 2 during Black Friday. I have a few digital codes for comics (Infinity, AoU, and Cataclysm) that I haven't read yet.

I hope this digital comics thingy you guys talk about is as good as the hype

Messi

I hope so. I bought the wife & I an iPad Air 2 during Black Friday. I have a few digital codes for comics (Infinity, AoU, and Cataclysm) that I haven't read yet.

I hope this digital comics thingy you guys talk about is as good as the hype

Welcome to the club

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can't wait for you to read Secret Wars #4 *wink*

Wait, what? Some version of Longshot shows up in Secret Wars #4? Lol?

Speaking of, just skimming through these Uncanny X-Men now, cba with this filler shit (Storm vs 3 d-list ww2 vets turned villains, what?), give me the big moments. Say what you want about fanservice-y Jim Lee Psylocke, but pre-ninja Psylocke has to be the most boring character ever.

Rhaknar

Can we talk about how much wasted space comics had in the 80s btw?

Look at all that white ;_;

What were her powers before getting ninjafied?

She's just a telepath, so she's Jean except without the TK. So far all she does is use cérebro or mindlink x-men to talk.

She mentioned her bionic eyes tho, from MOJO IIRC, I though that was a ninja-era thing but I guess not

Rhaknar

So many "skirts" "bimbos" and Psylocke keeps calling herself a "stupid cow" every time she fuck up. Dat 80s casual sexism

Also Rogue's costume or clothes get ripped in pretty much every issue. Come on now Claremont :p

I want to sit down with a beer and rap about x-men with BK.
I'd be down.
The show is trash and I watch arrow weekly. Well the arrow thing is no excuse tbh.
Only room for one shitty show at a time.
I enjoyed the comics though, maybe one day I'll catch up as it just started getting interesting again around the 105th issue.
I would never use a negative adjective to describe Arrow other than "inconsistent."
Nick Fury whispered something to him that made him unworthy of Mjolnir.

Lol so dumb but female thor is a Boss.

he didnt lose his powers, he just cant use Mjolnir anymore because Nick Fury whispered something to him during Original Sin which made him unworthy

His powers come from being the son of Odin, not from the hammer

edit: which is stupid because Mjolnir would "know" if he was unworthy or not, it would "know" whatever it was that Odinson did to make him unworthy, Nick telling him whatever he told him wouldnt change the fact that the Hammer would already know it, just like it knows everyone else is unworthy and cant lift it
I don't think it's that dumb, but the problem is we have no idea what the fuck was whispered and WHY it worked. Besides, apparently (Thors spoilers)
Ultimate Mjolnir is on 616, but that has yet to be brought up
Shall I continue my 80s Uncanny X-Men adventures?

Edit: whoa Colossus straight up kills Riptide, just snaps his neck. The 80s were rough man, no "superheroes don't kill" nonsense here lol
Dude Colossus killed Proteus before that. Wolverine couldn't even kill Proteus. Colossus was the original "X-Man that gets his hands dirty when needed," before everybody started sucking on Wolvie. Seriously. Wolverine wasn't even a cool badass until he took down the Hellfire Club almost singlehandedly:
Anyone who tells you they loved Logan before that is a damned liar.
It's so well made...so entertaining...
She's just a telepath, so she's Jean except without the TK. So far all she does is use cérebro or mindlink x-men to talk.

She mentioned her bionic eyes tho, from MOJO IIRC, I though that was a ninja-era thing but I guess not

Can I be honest?

I still don't understand what Psylocke's powers are outside of "dagger" and "telepathy."

PsychBat!

Banned
Wait, what? Some version of Longshot shows up in Secret Wars #4? Lol?

Speaking of, just skimming through these Uncanny X-Men now, cba with this filler shit (Storm vs 3 d-list ww2 vets turned villains, what?), give me the big moments. Say what you want about fanservice-y Jim Lee Psylocke, but pre-ninja Psylocke has to be the most boring character ever.

I was lurking the MH thread

Messi

Sometimes I don't know what some of the mutants power sets are. Sometimes it feels like they are making up Magiks powers to fit the situation. :(

Rhaknar

Sometimes I don't know what some of the mutants power sets are. Sometimes it feels like they are making up Magiks powers to fit the situation. :(

Magik has "I'm a sorceror" excuse. Her actual mutant power is just teleportation, the rest is from her Limbo queen / Dr.Strange training stuff.

Magik has "I'm a sorceror" excuse. Her actual mutant power is just teleportation, the rest is from her Limbo queen / Dr.Strange training stuff.

Yeah, though Magik easily has the least mutant "mutant ability" I've seen in an X-book. Her mutant power is magic.

Teleportation, specifically through Limbo. Though, Nightcrawler teleports through Hell, I guess.

Damn teleporters...

Rhaknar

Yeah, though Magik easily has the least mutant "mutant ability" I've seen in an X-book. Her mutant power is magic.

Was that retconned? I thought teleportation was her mutant power and the rest was just shit she picked up from limbo and later Dr. Strange and whatnot. Stuff anyone technically can learn (I mean Strange and Doom are human)

Rhaknar

Yeah, I don't mind it tbh.

What is Emma's main power then? Mind reading?

Emma is a telepath and her secondary mutation (I hate they introduced those) is turning into diamond. I believe she isn't a telekinetic tho, unless like Betsy that was retconned / added?

Was that retconned? I thought teleportation was her mutant power and the rest was just shit she picked up from limbo and later Dr. Strange and whatnot. Stuff anyone technically can learn (I mean Strange and Doom are human)
Her primary power was discovered when she was trapped in Limbo, where she could manipulate these weird transport discs. Then it was discovered because of her time there that she could simply teleport through Limbo. She also got the weird demon cutting sword, and then also there was her weird demon form. It was after her powers were "broken" and she learned she was wrecking Limbo that she decided to train with past Dr. Strange.

At least I think so. I know for sure her mutant power is distinctly Limbo related.
Emma is a telepath and her secondary mutation (I hate they introduced those) is turning into diamond. I believe she isn't a telekinetic tho, unless like Betsy that was retconned / added?

She was never telekinetic. Just telepathy and turning into diamond (introduced during Morrison's NXM).

Rhaknar

Dazzlers power is what? Also Rachel Grey.

Dazzler turns sound into light, be it a simple light source, or a full blown laser. Her and Banshee would make a sick tag team.

Rachel is another telepath / telekinetic like her mother

This is now the X-Men!|OT| :3

I don't know. I didn't know she had it until I read Claremont's X-treme X-Men.

So, then?

So it's wasn't even a event, Claremont just decided shes also a TK? God damn it

Messi

Dazzler turns sound into light, be it a simple light source, or a full blown laser. Her and Banshee would make a sick tag team.

Rachel is another telepath / telekinetic like her mother

This is now the X-Men!|OT| :3

Not gonna lie...dazzlers power is pretty shit. Also her new costume is shit. Disco Dazzler > Secret SHIELD Agent Dazzler >>>>>>>>>> Emo Dazzler

Does X-23 have every power Wolverine has?

Rhaknar

Not gonna lie...dazzlers power is pretty shit. Also her new costume is shit. Disco Dazzler > Secret SHIELD Agent Dazzler >>>>>>>>>> Emo Dazzler

Does X-23 have every power Wolverine has?

Age of Apocalypse Dazzler is the best Dazzler

And yes on X-23, except she has 2 claws on her hands and 1 on her feet instead of 3 on her hands like Logan. I'm not sure if those are added or inert to her tho like Logan's. BK? :p

Edit: actually technically the claws aren't a part of Wolverine's powers, it's just part of his mutation, since he has lost his powers (aka the healing factor) and kept the claws

Lovin' all this X-Men powers talk, woot!

What about Iceman? Aside from the obvious making ice thing, doesn't he have other abilities? 'Cause he's supposed to be one of the more powerful mutants or sumat? Upper echelon like Jean?

Messi

Man...the X-Men can be confusing at times.

I can't believe the first one of Bendis new mutants to return is
Goldballs in Miles Morales new book.
. I really doubt we are ever going to see Eva again outside of background panels in Dr Strange because Bachalo is awesome. Or if she does come back she will have been nerfed massively, which I wouldn't mind.

Has young Jeans power set officially split from old Jeans? She developed a new power in the trial of jean grey right?

Rhaknar

Lovin' all this X-Men powers talk, woot!

What about Iceman? Aside from the obvious making ice thing, doesn't he have other abilities? 'Cause he's supposed to be one of the more powerful mutants or sumat? Upper echelon like Jean?

Yeah Iceman is one of those "omega level" Mutants, he just can't control his powers to their fullest.

"Iceman's powers were pushed to their limit while possessed by Emma Frost, who used Iceman to discover the fate of her Hellions. During this time Iceman was able to control all forms of moisture, freeze fluids inside people's bodies, travel as a liquid, solid or gas. Not even the combined might of the X-Men Gold team was able to stop Emma Frost in Iceman's body."

He has since learned how to create ice constructs that he can control, and his Age of Pocalypse self can grow giant and shit.

Just read X-Men #1 (the 1991 classic), still holds up! And that Jim Lee art, oh lordy. Come back Jim ;_;

Vibranium

Banned
Are you talking about David Mack's art? I loved his art in those issues, he did some incredibly creative work there. Some of it, like the part where Ben is talking about how he knows Matt is Daredevil, is stunning IMO. Worked really well for that first arc. If you think the copy/pasting is bad here, don't read Alias. Gaydos does this a LOT:

ugh

Speaking of Daredevil, I read some snippets of the ANAD stuff from panels online. Not a fan of what I saw. I do not like how Soule writes Matt and Foggy at all.

Yeah, I'm skipping Soule's run and collecting it in trades, not really sure about it. I would love Greg Rucka on DD someday.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

. I really doubt we are ever going to see Eva again outside of background panels in Dr Strange because Bachalo is awesome. Or if she does come back she will have been nerfed massively, which I wouldn't mind.

Has young Jeans power set officially split from old Jeans? She developed a new power in the trial of jean grey right?

That's because Gold Balls is awesome.

Rhaknar

Oh this little arc with Magneto in asteroid M at the start of the 91 X-Men book is not when he rips out Wolverine's adamantium? I was sure it was, if this was a game show I would have lost :(

Why can't cyclops shoot his Optic beams out his hands and feet like Alex can?

Because it's not the same power?

Age of Apocalypse Dazzler is the best Dazzler

And yes on X-23, except she has 2 claws on her hands and 1 on her feet instead of 3 on her hands like Logan. I'm not sure if those are added or inert to her tho like Logan's. BK? :p

Edit: actually technically the claws aren't a part of Wolverine's powers, it's just part of his mutation, since he has lost his powers (aka the healing factor) and kept the claws

I don't know much about X-23, but she was a clone of Wolverine, so I imagine her claws are the same as Wolvie's: bone and then coated in adamantium.

Daken got some OP ass claws when he was resurrected as a Horseman of Apocalypse.
Some Celestial tech or something.

Yeah,
wrecking Gladiator's shit.
It was SICK
Meh didn't really like him tbh
WHAT?!
Why can't cyclops shoot his Optic beams out his hands and feet like Alex can?
Because "optic" means eyes. Cyclops opens a portal to the punch dimension via his eyes. Alex absorbs and channels cosmic radiation.

I believe Scott is also solar powered, to some degree, though I might be wrong.

Top Bottom