• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I refuse to believe that punch dimension horseshit is true

I refuse to believe that punch dimension horseshit is true

From the Marvel Comics Database

Cyclops' Optic Blasts said:
Powers
Cyclops is an Alpha-mutant according to Apocalypse, while Nick Fury's intel classified him as power level 7.

Optic Blast: Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a powerful beam of concussive, ruby-colored force from his eyes. Cyclops's powers were originally believed to be ambient energies (such as solar radiation, photons, and cosmic rays) absorbed and metabolized by his body into concussive blasts that are released from his eyes. However, the energy supply of his optic blasts are later revealed to originate from a non-Einsteinian universe that opens up whenever he uses his optic blasts.

Cyclops's eyes not only are organs that utilizes the visible spectrum of light to see the world around it. It was erroneously stated in the first print of the Official Marvel's Handbook that Cyclops' eyes contain inter-dimensional apertures, releasing powerful energies from another dimension into his own via the beams. These later accounts state that his body naturally metabolizes ambient energy that is used to open and focus the apertures in his eyes. The energy of the beam itself originates from this other dimension. This explanation, however, was later changed for subsequent prints.

Cyclops's mind has a particular psionic field that is attuned to the forces that maintain the apertures that have taken the place of his eyes. Because his mind's psionic field envelops his body, it automatically shunts the other-dimensional particles back into their point of origin when they collide with his body. Thus, his body is protected from the effects of the particles, and even the thin membrane of his eyelids is sufficient to block the emission of energy. The synthetic ruby quartz crystal used to fashion the lenses of Cyclops's eyeglasses and visor is resonant to his minds' psionic field and is similarly protected.

The width of Cyclops's eye-blasts seems to be focused by his mind's psionic field with the same autonomic function that regulated his original eyes' ability to focus. As Cyclops focuses, the size of the aperture changes and thus act as a valve to control the flow of particles and beam's relative power. The height of Cyclops's eye-blast is controlled by his visor's adjustable slit. His narrowest beam, about the diameter of a pencil at a distance of 4 feet has a force of about two pounds per square inch. His broadest beam, about 90 feet across at a distance of fifty feet, has a force of about 10 pounds per square inch. His most powerful eye-blast is a beam four feet across which, at a distance of 50 feet, has a force of 500 pounds per square inch. The maximum angular measurement of Cyclops's eye-blast is equivalent to a wide-angle 35mm camera lens field of view (90 degrees measured diagonally, or the angle subtended by holding a magazine's pages spread open, upright at 9.5 inches from your eyes). The minimum angular measurement is equivalent to the angle that the thickness of a pencil would subtend at 4 feet (3.5 degrees, about a quarter of an inch viewed at 4 feet). The beam's effective range is about 2,000 feet, at which point a 1-inch beam has spread out to 10 feet square, and then has a pressure of .38 pounds per square inch. Cyclops's maximum force is sufficient to tip over a filled 5,000 gallon tank at a distance of 20 feet, or puncture a 1-inch carbon-steel plate at a distance of 2 feet.

The extra dimensional supply of energy for Cyclops's eye-blast is practically infinite. Thus, so long as Cyclops's psionic field is active (which is constant), there is the potential to emit energy. The only limit to the eye-blast is the mental fatigue of focusing constantly. After about 15 minute of constant usage, the psionic field subsides and allows only a slight leakage of energy to pass through the aperture. Cyclops's metabolism will recover sufficiently for him to continue in about an additional 15 minutes.

The maximum force of Cyclops' optic blasts are unknown, but a commonly given description is that he can "punch holes through mountains", and he has been shown to rupture a half-inch thick carbon steel plate. During a particular battle, Scott says that he hit Cain Marko (a.k.a. the Juggernaut) with enough power to split a small planet in half, though he may have been indulging in hyperbole. In the Age of Apocalypse dimension, his beams can cut through Adamantium, a previously indestructible metal. In the mainstream continuity of the Marvel Universe, it has also been implied that Cyclops only utilizes a fraction of the energies at his disposal. During the Civil War: X-Men story arc, Cyclops is controlled by another mutant to use his powers at their full magnitude. When directed at the energy-absorbing mutant Bishop, Cyclops was able to overload Bishop's powers in a matter of seconds. When Iron Man measured Cyclops's power while he was powering Bishop, he found the energy output was well over 2 gigawatts, larger than a large nuclear reactor. It is also stated that Cyclops does not use his powers at such a level due to the preoccupation he has regarding his control (or lack thereof) of his abilities.

Cyclops once fought The Hulk, using a beam blast to stop him, refusing to let the Hulk take Professor Xavier. While it peels off some of the Hulk's skin, he was able to walk towards Cyclops and clench his entire face, effectively containing the blast.

As an after-effect of exposure to the crippling energies of the Phoenix Force, his powers seemed to have altered beyond their original state of being. In which his optic blasts, although vastly more uncontrollable; are more powerful than ever so much so that he can eradicate a squadron of modified normal and man sized Sentinels in one blast and wound powerful mystic entities.[124][125] A side effect of his damaged abilities causes his concussion beams to bend, weave and arc in alternate directions giving his blasts the appearance of multiple curving blasts spiraling around the core blasts make his new optic laser even harder to dodge.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's a jump the shark explanation if I ever heard one. Let me guess, it's a Bendis invention :p

frye

I don't know much about X-23, but she was a clone of Wolverine, so I imagine her claws are the same as Wolvie's: bone and then coated in adamantium.

one of the things that separated her from Wolverine aside from feet claws was that she didn't have adamantium bones, which meant that she was faster/lighter and had a better healing factor since it wasn't constantly fighting adamantium poisoning

e: actually nevermind! she does have adamantium laced claws, just not a skeleton

one of the things that separated her from Wolverine aside from feet claws was that she didn't have adamantium bones, which meant that she was faster/lighter and had a better healing factor since it wasn't constantly fighting adamantium poisoning

So then what are her claws made out of?

e: actually nevermind! she does have adamantium laced claws, just not a skeleton

Salty devil, you

I don't know much about X-23, but she was a clone of Wolverine, so I imagine her claws are the same as Wolvie's: bone and then coated in adamantium.

Daken got some OP ass claws when he was resurrected as a Horseman of Apocalypse.

Some Celestial tech or something.

It was SICK

WHAT?!

Because "optic" means eyes. Cyclops opens a portal to the punch dimension via his eyes. Alex absorbs and channels cosmic radiation.

I believe Scott is also solar powered, to some degree, though I might be wrong.
I *loved* the resolution of that arc. Bendis's X-Men run is my 3rd fave after Morrison and Whedon. Hmm maybe 2nd depending on how it holds up on rereads

Rhaknar

Future Imperfect (the OG) establishes that time travel doesn't change shit, all it does is create alternate timelines. Hulk even tells Maestro that Hank Pym published a paper on it. And stuff like the 2099 universe confirms this.

If that's the case, Beast should know that so what was he trying to acomplish with bringing the OG x-men to the present.

In fact, if that is the case, that would mean that Bishop going back in time and stopping Legion from killing Xavier didn't actually fix anything, and the entire 616 is in reality a alternate time line since Age of Apocalypse.

My brain is breaking

I *loved* the resolution of that arc. Bendis's X-Men run is my 3rd fave after Morrison and Whedon. Hmm maybe 2nd depending on how it holds up on rereads
Bendis' UXM is a genuinely good book that I liked. It saddens me that I'm a Bendis fan in a world that Bendis is so despised (See: Civil War 2 thread)
Future Imperfect (the OG) establishes that time travel doesn't change shit, all it does is create alternate timelines. Hulk even tells Maestro that Hank Pym published a paper on it. And stuff like the 2099 universe confirms this.

If that's the case, Beast should know that so what was he trying to acomplish with bringing the OG x-men to the present.

In fact, if that is the case, that would mean that Bishop going back in time and stopping Legion from killing Xavier didn't actually fix anything, and the entire 616 is in reality a alternate time line since Age of Apocalypse.

My brain is breaking
Changing time does create alternate timelines, but 616 still has its own centralized timeline. Stopping Legion restored order to the main timeline, but AoA does still exist as an alternate dimension (See: Remender's Uncanny X-Force).

The Watcher stated that Beast fucked up royally, since he brought those X-Men to the future, and couldn't send them back. Basically, he fucked up space time a whole lot, some how. It would still fuck up the central timeline, but not any alternate ones. Meaning certain events wouldn't pan out because the O5 don't exist in that way anymore.

I know it's confusing, but it's not that confusing.

Tizoc

Oh fucking shit, Great Lake Avengers Reprint D:

Marvel redeemed.

NFOkG38.gif

Are you talking about David Mack's art? I loved his art in those issues, he did some incredibly creative work there. Some of it, like the part where Ben is talking about how he knows Matt is Daredevil, is stunning IMO. Worked really well for that first arc. If you think the copy/pasting is bad here, don't read Alias. Gaydos does this a LOT:

ugh

Speaking of Daredevil, I read some snippets of the ANAD stuff from panels online. Not a fan of what I saw. I do not like how Soule writes Matt and Foggy at all.

I mean it looked great, but I felt it contrasted strangely with the speech bubbles. Like it belongs in a different book or something. The fact that I didn't really like the arc too much helped. I fully admit that I generally dislike anything kid-centered in my media entertainment. Unless they're like Arya from ASOIAF lol

I mean it looked great, but I felt it contrasted strangely with the speech bubbles. Like it belongs in a different book or something. The fact that I didn't really like the arc too much helped. I fully admit that I generally dislike anything kid-centered in my media entertainment. Unless they're like Arya from ASOIAF lol

The first arc of Bendis' DD is beautiful. I loved that story. It's a very slow and strange start to the book that largely means nothing plotwise, but it's a beautiful story.

Rhaknar

Bendis' UXM is a genuinely good book that I liked. It saddens me that I'm a Bendis fan in a world that Bendis is so despised (See: Civil War 2 thread)

Changing time does create alternate timelines, but 616 still has its own centralized timeline. Stopping Legion restored order to the main timeline, but AoA does still exist as an alternate dimension (See: Remender's Uncanny X-Force).

The Watcher stated that Beast fucked up royally, since he brought those X-Men to the future, and couldn't send them back. Basically, he fucked up space time a whole lot, some how. It would still fuck up the central timeline, but not any alternate ones. Meaning certain events wouldn't pan out because the O5 don't exist in that way anymore.

I know it's confusing, but it's not that confusing.

So AoA was the back to the future 2 evil future then?

But the point still stands about beast tho, say they sent the OG back now, the current 616 already exists (like AoA) and thus can't change? The OG would go on to create a separate time line with knowledge of what they did in the future (and in Angel's case with fancy cosmic wings)

So AoA was the back to the future 2 evil future then?

But the point still stands about beast tho, say they sent the OG back now, the current 616 already exists (like AoA) and thus can't change? The OG would go on to create a separate time line with knowledge of what they did in the future (and in Angel's case with fancy cosmic wings)
But Uatu said time-space was fucked...
NEVER

Rhaknar

BK is my new favorite gaffer, but his avatar betrays my feelings

207.gif

Clearly the solution is to go back in time and kill whoever created The Flash

Tizoc

I'm curious...how thick is a 400 page omnibus? Gonna order the Darkwing Duck Omnibus in due time along with the non-canon finale.

PsychBat!

Banned
FUCK

What the fuck!?!?!?

I just finished reading Red Wolf. And aside from a few cringeworthy lines, I have to keep reading. I'm interested.

Damn it. I swore I wouldn't read an Edmondson book. FML

PsychBat!

Banned
I'm actually enjoying it lol.

Cool

I'm really not. It's just basic team up tripe that I've read before, except with Avengers. A villain from one hero's past somehow becomes more powerful and gets the attention of several other heroes.

I thought this cliche would be interesting since it is unusual for an Avengers team to be formed this way. It usually starts out with veterans picking and choosing the roster like in the previous Avengers runs.

But nah, none of them stand out. I love Ms. Marvel, SamCap, Thor and Vision but none of them stand out here.

I retract my drop statement though, I'll be reading several more issues to see how this Cap/Thor pairing works out.

EDIT: Just finished Totally Awesome Hulk. TOTALLY. AWESOME.

Sandfox

Cool

I'm really not. It's just basic team up tripe that I've read before, except with Avengers. A villain from one hero's past somehow becomes more powerful and gets the attention of several other heroes.

I thought this cliche would be interesting since it is unusual for an Avengers team to be formed this way. It usually starts out with veterans picking and choosing the roster like in the previous Avengers runs.

But nah, none of them stand out. I love Ms. Marvel, SamCap, Thor and Vision but none of them stand out here.

I retract my drop statement though, I'll be reading several more issues to see how this Cap/Thor pairing works out.

EDIT: Just finished Totally Awesome Hulk. TOTALLY. AWESOME.
The first arc is pretty long lol.

Finished reading Hickman's FF and Fractions. Thinking I might go back and read that FF series from the start. The one that began in 98'. Fond memories of reading that when I was like 9/10, all that Abraxas stuff.

So much else to read too tho. And exams to study for. Fuck.

PsychBat!

Banned
The first arc is pretty long lol.

Which is why I won't drop it, yet. Maybe.

On my catch up: Daredevil #1 was interesting. I definitely like the art in most places, I like that Matt has taken a more aggressive turn when it came to his career. Gonna see where it goes.

But no Karen is the biggest flaw though.

I've been loving Ms. Marvel. It's the first time I've gotten into a series and there has been a change of artist and it's weird. The characters and world seem different now. I've seen the original team come back after 2 issues. Why does this happen?

Yeah this is rough,, sometimes the change can be great or just as good. But I usually dread that chit..
so many broken hearts.. F.B.P. for example... which is a little weirder because he(Robbi Rodiriguez) and the writer created that book/characters.

Just look online for the next couple issues and see who the Artist is.

Gotham Academy #13 was pretty great for a few reasons. But first, the art. As y'all (who care) know, regular artist Karl Kerschl's last issue was #12, but I'm happy to say that Adam Archer does a fine job. He's not as atmospheric as Kerschl was, and he's more cartoony, but it actually works pretty well! He'd do a fine job as the new regular after the Yearbook wraps.

Now, for writing. Also pretty damn good. The zombie mystery was fun, if somewhat rushed. Olive does something kinda dickish, but I'm inclined to agree with
Damian
that it was the right thing for Maps. I like how totally nonchalant Langstrom was about Riku, dude is pretty single minded.

All in all, very fun issue.

Top Bottom