• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Owzers

how often do figures look like their prototypes? The Darwyn Cooke line looks great but the Harley Conner figure got really bloated from the initial concept.

DC0215.jpg

vs end product:

Red Hood/Arsenal #7 was extra Lobdell-y. Lots and lots of exposition and expository dialogue in little bubbles.

But other than that it was pretty good. I'm warming to the idea of Joker's Daughter being on the team. Her and Roy actually doing some for-profit work was fun, as were the self-aware pokes at the fact that they really haven't actually done much of that and that Roy's dog metaphors were a little messed up.

Tim and Jason continue to be a very fun pair. They're great in Batman & Robin Eternal and they're great here. Again, dragged down somewhat by the Lobdellesque nature of the dialogue, but there's still some solid moments there, like Jason talking about how he felt like he never measured up to Dick, and Tim talking about what it was like to follow in the steps of the Robin who died.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

MG310

how often do figures look like their prototypes? The Darwyn Cooke line looks great but the Harley Conner figure got really bloated from the initial concept.

vs end product:

I think the head is the same it's just that the way it fits onto the neck changed during production.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
where the DC people at?

i'm gonna read some random New 52 stuff soon, but i had a question RE: Action Comics

i hear the arc starting at #41 was real dope? i'm just trying to find 1 real good modern Superman trade

TheFlow

Banned
where the DC people at?

i'm gonna read some random New 52 stuff soon, but i had a question RE: Action Comics

i hear the arc starting at #41 was real dope? i'm just trying to find 1 real good modern Superman trade
first 18 issues of swamp thing, animal man, and then Jeff's run on arrow.. are some of my favorites. I liked Aqua man but man is the art team on that right now rough.

The only ones that I dropped was teen titans, and green lantern corps

I only read the batman family now but in volumes

Luigi87

CBR talks about Batman #47 reveals, major character's return (WARNING: contains full-page spoilers)

When was the last time
this guy wasn't involved in a Snyder Batman story? Was he in the Owl Saga, I can't remember.

EDIT: Edited because I realized people could still probably guess who
"this guy"
was referring to.

I haven't cared much for Superheavy on the whole, but I really liked this chapter, and not just because of the final page, but the other twist that happens, which supports things Snyder described about Bloom in a previous interview a few months ago (after the annual came out).

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My revised list for today....

Monstress #2
We Stand on Guard #6
Secret Wars #8

Spread #11
The Beauty #4
Autumnlands #7
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #7
Outer God #5

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
where the DC people at?

Check out Geoff Johns and JRJR's: The Men of Tomorrow.

It ain't perfect, but it's probably the best Superman story since the new52.

Also, follow along with Superman: American Alien by Max Landis and a whole fuckton of great artists. It's one issue in, and it's a sincerely excellent effort by Landis and Dragotta.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
first 18 issues of swamp thing, animal man, and then Jeff's run on arrow.. are some of my favorites. I liked Aqua man but man is the art team on that right now rough.

The only ones that I dropped was teen titans, and green lantern corps

I only read the batman family now but in volumes

i read most of those as well, saving Wonder Woman for a nice chunk of time this holiday season

i'm mostly interested in reading a single arc w/ just Superman right now - figured #41 was the way to go with as everyone loved it but not sure how long that arc lasts / which trade it is

RE Secret Wars....

You can PM if easier but does anything significant happen or is it just setup for 9?

It's a fight issue. Some players get taken out, like Black Swan, Thing, and Thanos. Oh, and The Reeds finally meets up with Val and Sue.

The final fight against Doom is next issue though.

where the DC people at?

Johns's run is pretty solid. It's just one arc collected in a trade (Men of Tomorrow). The last issue was really great.

Ninjak #10

I felt like this issue really deserved a minireview. Phew, boy, quite the setup. First, there's the narration by Neville, which has become somewhat characteristic of Kindt's Ninjak so far, but I absolutely love this style - especially with the reveal towards the end from him. Second, Doug Braithwaite takes my breath away (get it, Braithwaite? Breath?). I knew this guy was good, but in the recent Book of Death and now this issue, he's become one of the best artists around. This guy is simply incredible. He captures Shamballa with a certain aesthetic; it feels homely, despite the dangerous and haunting nature of the place. The cool thing about the Deadside as a setting is that any writer/artist can really mold it to what they need, so it's a really different place from what we've seen in Shadowman or Dr. Mirage; it really makes the place a lot more haunting, just because there's no limit to what a writer can pull out of it.

The setup for the coming issues itself was great. There was some humor mixed in between Colin and Punk Mambo. I'm not a big fan of Mambo, but she's great in this. Otherwise, the main story just has a bit of exposition and not much else, but in combination with the backup story, this arc is looking to be very promising. Then, there's the actual backup story. It gives us a small glimpse as to what Ninjak is going to run into in this story and where Shadowman is currently. Even Juan Jose Ryp brought the art smackdown in this issue; he's usually great, but some of his panels were really detailed and just great overall.

Really, just a stellar issue of Ninjak, and a great jumping-on point for curious folks.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I just find it strange, we had a lot of good conversations about movies and comics and stuff, I dont even tweeted a lot in the last days which could lead to him unfollowing me.

And I just feel bad everytime I lose a good follower. I dont have to much actually real people :/

Cool

I'm really not. It's just basic team up tripe that I've read before, except with Avengers. A villain from one hero's past somehow becomes more powerful and gets the attention of several other heroes.

I thought this cliche would be interesting since it is unusual for an Avengers team to be formed this way. It usually starts out with veterans picking and choosing the roster like in the previous Avengers runs.

But nah, none of them stand out. I love Ms. Marvel, SamCap, Thor and Vision but none of them stand out here.

I retract my drop statement though, I'll be reading several more issues to see how this Cap/Thor pairing works out.

EDIT: Just finished Totally Awesome Hulk. TOTALLY. AWESOME.

The very first Avengers team was formed this way

i read most of those as well, saving Wonder Woman for a nice chunk of time this holiday season

i'm mostly interested in reading a single arc w/ just Superman right now - figured #41 was the way to go with as everyone loved it but not sure how long that arc lasts / which trade it is

That arc is kinda still ongoing, and hasn't been collected yet.

If you're looking for Supes, Morrion's AC is solid, but Johns is some legit great stuff and is also collected.

Tizoc

CBR talks about Batman #47 reveals, major character's return (WARNING: contains full-page spoilers)

When was the last time
this guy wasn't involved in a Snyder Batman story? Was he in the Owl Saga, I can't remember.

"this guy"
was referring to.

I am reminded of what Greg Rucka once wrote about how overusing a character cheapens their impact.
And no offense to all of you here, but this 'reveal' is so dull that I can't even be bothered to respect the spoiler rule about because it's really nothing major.

When was the last time

"this guy"
was referring to.

Oh Snyder, never change.

I still think Bruce will be Batman again before the movie comes out, this only makes it more likely IMO

Messi

I just find it strange, we had a lot of good conversations about movies and comics and stuff, I dont even tweeted a lot in the last days which could lead to him unfollowing me.

And I just feel bad everytime I lose a good follower. I dont have to much actually real people :/

Not cool birdie

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh Snyder, never change.

I still think Bruce will be Batman again before the movie comes out, this only makes it more likely IMO
The important thing is that they remove Gordon out of Robobat and burrie that thing. He should stay Batmans Police liason and dont become a full fledged member of the Batfamily.

Mindwipe

Guys, Secret Wars 8 is so great. The best "secret weapon"/"ace up my sleeve" moment ever.

Yes, it's fun. But ultimately it's the second issue in a row of
people punching each other in the face while not much plot happens, and Doom somewhat inexplicably stands there watching for a man with infinite cosmic power.

So what do you guys think can spike up DC's sales since they've been falling behind for a while now?

Stay the course. The most common complaint I see from former DC fans is that they got fed up with the reboots and the burying of beloved characters. They've got a good thing going right now, they need to stay with it.

Oh, and put Tom King on GL.

Stay the course. The most common complaint I see from former DC fans is that they got fed up with the reboots and the burying of beloved characters. They've got a good thing going right now, they need to stay with it.

Oh, and put Tom King on GL.

I agree with this. DC's post-Convergence direction has been good overall, they just need to not panic.

Putting better teams on Green Lantern, Flash and Wonder Woman would help more. Seriously, why are they all so bad right now? That's not right.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I know this is a 6 part series, but is worth reading? are the battles epic?

No the battles aren't epic and the characters die faster than you get to know them. The most interesting thing in the series is a futuristic interrogation/torture scene in issue 3 or 4.

It just feels like one big excuse for BKV to let everyone know not so subtlely know how much he dislikes the US government.

The art is nice but I can't recommend this one.

I agree with this. DC's post-Convergence direction has been good overall, they just need to not panic.

Putting better teams on Green Lantern, Flash and Wonder Woman would help more. Seriously, why are they all so bad right now? That's not right.

Yeah. 3 of their big characters with mediocre/awful creatives is definitely not helping things.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that apart from ANAD #1s, the sales on superhero books are actually fairly even, but the Star Wars stuff gives Marvel a pretty big boost. That said, better teams on the big books (that don't already have solid work) would be good. Considering I adored GL it feels like a travesty that it's probably been since the end of Johns' run that I've actually looked forward to the next issue.

It's a fight issue. Some players get taken out, like Black Swan, Thing, and Thanos. Oh, and The Reeds finally meets up with Val and Sue.

The final fight against Doom is next issue though.

Sounds...kinda par for the course. Issue to issue I feel like Secret Wars has been quite disappointing, but I guess now I'll wait for 9 to come out and read the whole event, see if it reads better "in trade".

As for the Batman spoilers...
I don't really mind if it is the Joker but Snyder's probably used the Joker in more issues than Morrison did Leviathan in his entire run. The man needs to branch out.
Maybe when Kot joins Comics-GAF he can lunch with Snyder and be our direct line to him.

Then Comic-Gaf can shadow write DC.

They'd tank in a month.

Top Bottom