• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Needs to be a holographic cover that does this

AvLfxzQ.gif

I had the whole team as a kid. Ah, memories.

diaspora

ASM #4

Are you fucking kidding me? Really? We're going to do this
rescuing aunt may bullshit again?
This is such a tired fucking shtick, god damnit.

Catwoman #47 is the first issue from the new creative team, and it's a promising start. Art is... I'd call it a lateral move. Some things I like more, some things I like less. There's some interesting paneling work being done, that's pretty cool.

Writing, however, is definitely stronger. As much as I liked Selina Kyle, Mob Boss, you could tell that the steam had come out of the book by the end. One one issue in, but this is shaping up into a fun little crime drama. A heist, a murder, a mystery. Old tools, but good ones.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
ASM #4

Are you fucking kidding me? Really? We're going to do this
rescuing aunt may bullshit again?
This is such a tired fucking shtick, god damnit.
Does also has to get money to pay his rent? :D

Honestly, I just want to do someone else with Spidey at this point. High hopes in books like Spidey.

diaspora

Does also has to get money to pay his rent? :D

Honestly, I just want to do someone else with Spidey at this point. High hopes in books like Spidey.
Part of why I'm pissed is that there's been so much progress and now the book is regressing to tired tropes like rescuing May.

I mean if he went AWOL on the mission to rescue a defenseless village from Goblins I could see that. But doing what they did just annoys me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Part of why I'm pissed is that there's been so much progress and now the book is regressing to tired tropes like rescuing May.

I mean if he went AWOL on the mission to rescue a defenseless village from Goblins I could see that. But doing what they did just annoys me.
Ah, so Slott continues to build up a Goblin story? Sweet. The one thing I love on Slotts work is that he really does make a good build up for his arcs, And I am thirsty for a good new Green Goblin story, there wasnt one since Marvel Knights Spider-Man. I just hope he delievers.

diaspora

Ah, so Slott continues to build up a Goblin story? Sweet. The one thing I love on Slotts work is that he really does make a good build up for his arcs, And I am thirsty for a good new Green Goblin story, there wasnt one since Marvel Knights Spider-Man. I just hope he delievers.
He looks like he's bringing back the entire sinister 6.

Batman #47 was pretty great. Tough to talk about because... y'know, the spoilers, but pretty great. Mr. Bloom continues to be one of the better villains introduced, though this issue throws a new wrinkle into things. I do kinda wonder when this is supposed to take place, Duke's timeline is getting kinda confusing. How does he know what he knows?

And regarding the spoiler, I agree that it's a little early for
this particular reappearance
, but it does seem thematically appropriate for Snyder's Batman.

Well, this is new
and amazing!

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/08/margaret-atwood-writing-a-series-of-graphic-novels/

Dark Horse Comics will publish “Angel Catbird,” written by Ms. Atwood and drawn by Johnnie Christmas, in the fall of 2016.

The story, which will be told over three graphic novels intended for all ages, is about a superhero that derives his powers from two animals. In a statement, Ms. Atwood explained some of how this new hero came to be: “Due to some spilled genetic Super-Splicer, our hero got tangled up with both a cat and an owl; hence his fur and feathers, and his identity problems.”

The Walking Dead is getting in the way of reading more Marvel. I'm hooked and VERY LATE to the Party, I know. I find it really interesting reading them and thinking back to the TV Version of the same story arch. I can see why comic fans weren't too pleased with the TV show at the start.

EDIT

Also, I'm sorry I don't engage more in other people's conversations and thoughts on comics, but my knowledge is pretty dire compared to most people in here. I'm a total comic noob, but I'm trying!

Telos #3 was some pretty dumb fun. I'm fully expecting a new status quo in the next couple of issues which'll determine whether or not I stick with it; as is, it's heading towards drop territory. Should let up on the self-serious elements, IMO.

TheFlow

Banned
The Walking Dead is getting in the way of reading more Marvel. I'm hooked and VERY LATE to the Party, I know. I find it really interesting reading them and thinking back to the TV Version of the same story arch. I can see why comic fans weren't too pleased with the TV show at the start.

EDIT

Also, I'm sorry I don't engage more in other people's conversations and thoughts on comics, but my knowledge is pretty dire compared to most people in here. I'm a total comic noob, but I'm trying!
Never read saga or you will be hooked forever

Never read saga or you will be hooked forever

Unless you aren't.

*looks around guiltily*

Batman/TMNT is basically exactly what you'd expect. Not that that's bad, mind you. This is mostly a setup issue, so the inevitable "fight then teamup" hasn't happened yet, but the writing's on the wall. There's some solid dialogue here too.

I'd like to say something about the art, briefly; I really love the pencil work, but the color kind of undermines it in places. Some panels work perfectly, others overemphasize the curves in people's faces. It's a little disconcerting. Still, overally, it's pretty great.

You chose...

Wisely.

No but seriously though Axecop is amazing.

I really enjoyed it! If it's true that the older brother drew his younger brothers playful suggestions it's even more amazing. It's a wonderful stream of conciousness and has some of the most surreal and humours characters I've seen around. Did they release another collection?

EDIT:

OH damn there's an Axecop TV Show in April!?

actually he might be best off waiting, otherwise he will have to endure month long waits for the next issue.

Yeah, I see people complain in the letters page all the time about TWD's long delays between issues! Surprisingly they post a lot of letters from people complaining about the violent nature within the books too, I thought that was interesting.

Snyder/Capullo talk about Batman #47 spoilers (Newsarama (SPOILER ALERT, OBVIOUSLY)

Snyder also talks a bit about life after Greg. Basically, he's planning a totally different direction for the book when the new artist comes on, because he considers the book as it is now to be his and Greg's alone, and he's going to be pitching those ideas to the DC offices very soon.

I'd call that a really good idea for multiple reasons.

Sadist

The Walking Dead #149

Oh my, haha.
THAT SHITEATING NEGAN GRIN. Best part of the page was when Rick told him he's not getting out and I was just as disappointed as Negan was lol. Great talk btw between Rick and Negan though. Yes, he loves the word fuck, but man, did I smile al through his rant. "Just as a I smashed a nice Asian kid's skull in to maintain the status quo. What? Too soon?" Still hurts you dick :mad: "What, not even a eyecontact-less handjob?" lol

Shit be brewin' though. I wonder if Rick can keep the people in line with them starting an "army". Carl and Lydia be sneakin'. Maggie putting too much faith in Rick. And ooooooooh LUCILLE! Why does Dwight have her in his closet btw? Hmm.

#150 will deliver hopefully.

shingi70

Banned
Secert Wars was cool, is #9 going to be double sized.
The Ben and Franklin scene was heartbreaking

Star Wars Annual #1 was nice and felt like reading one of the books.
Wish we would get a series about Ray when he was undercover in the Galatic Senate, more space politics.

Imagine the stuff Scott Snyder could do with the Spider-Man/Green Goblin dynamic, like the things he's been doing with Batman/Joker...

Is Snyder exclusive?

Secert Wars was cool, is #9 going to be double sized.
The Ben and Franklin scene was heartbreaking

Star Wars Annual #1 was nice and felt like reading one of the books.
Wish we would get a series about Ray when he was undercover in the Galatic Senate, more space politics.

Until it's broken in half and the second half is pushed back to March.

Starfire #7 was a great deal of fun! Relationship drama, Kori being Kori. Some new tinkerbell type... thing? IDK. Grayson's in this one, and he's great as well.

Sadist

Secret Wars #8

YES. ALL OF MY YES.
Thanos actually dies lol. DOOM TOO GOOD.

Amazing Spider-Man #4

Yup. Slott is doing a great job with this series. Well the start is great.

ElRenoRaven

Man that first issue of Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was pretty damn good start. Shame it's only going to be a 6 issue series.

PsychBat!

Banned
Man that first issue of Batman Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was pretty damn good start. Shame it's only going to be a 6 issue series.

I was honestly surprised. They got the tone of the turtles right but there was some needless exposition in the conversation between Alfred and Bruce. Overall, it was a good Turtles book, I don't think it quite captured the Batman tone yet.

Top Bottom