• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

I don't think I've ever watched or owned anything Power Ranger related. Seemed to pass me by.
Get on that.
Also, I'm sorry I don't engage more in other people's conversations and thoughts on comics, but my knowledge is pretty dire compared to most people in here. I'm a total comic noob, but I'm trying!
It's okay. It takes years of practice to get enough knowledge on the world of comics and still stay sane.
Read what I wrote please.
I did. Either I misunderstood or I'm missing something. You said it was stuff you've read before, except with the Avengers, because it's usually veterans picking teams. Which means veteran team members picking others, but if by that you meant that first team had been picked that way, then my bad. Guess I misunderstood. I thought you meant that the Avengers hadn't been picked that way.
Snyder/Capullo talk about Batman #47 spoilers (Newsarama) (SPOILER ALERT, OBVIOUSLY)

Snyder also talks a bit about life after Greg. Basically, he's planning a totally different direction for the book when the new artist comes on, because he considers the book as it is now to be his and Greg's alone, and he's going to be pitching those ideas to the DC offices very soon.
I like that.
Anyone read Scarlet Witch?
I have not, as I have no urge to. Never been a big fan of Wanda, but then again I wasn't a fan of Vision yet I really enjoy his book.

PsychBat!

Banned
I did. Either I misunderstood or I'm missing something. You said it was stuff you've read before, except with the Avengers, because it's usually veterans picking teams. Which means veteran team members picking others, but if by that you meant that first team had been picked that way, then my bad. Guess I misunderstood. I thought you meant that the Avengers hadn't been picked that way.

Keywords are usual and unusual. I'm aware that the first team were formed the way they're being formed in ANAD. But that happened 50 years ago and since then it's been formed the way I said about veterans picking the roster.

Keywords are usual and unusual. I'm aware that the first team were formed the way they're being formed in ANAD. But that happened 50 years ago and since then it's been formed the way I said about veterans picking the roster.

This is almost heresy for me, but my favourite "assembling the Avengers" arc is probably Bendis' Breakout, with them all being on the Raft at the time out of the mass escape. There was that "full champion license" guff later on, but overall it really nailed the A Day Unlike Any Other feel that an Avengers formation should have.

EDIT: Found the panel where it came together for me:
192931-101417-captain-america.jpg

Legit cheered at that moment.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This is almost heresy for me, but my favourite "assembling the Avengers" arc is probably Bendis' Breakout, with them all being on the Raft at the time out of the mass escape. There was that "full champion license" guff later on, but overall it really nailed the A Day Unlike Any Other feel that an Avengers formation should have.
Just sad that Daredevil passed the invitation.

PsychBat!

Banned
Ultimates #2

I was expecting not to like this issue since Ultimates #1 was just a pretty book but this issue... I like the team work the Ultimates put in here. They're extremely competent and get the job done, I like that in a team. I hope there's more of that in future issues. The dialogue, I felt, was standard comic book writing. It wasn't bad but it didn't stand out. Real winner here is the relationship between Ewing and Rocafort. Rocafort totally knows what Ewing wants while adding his own personal touches to it, such as paneling for example. Art was amazing just like the last issue. Only problem I have with the book is
Carol, she is sucking the cool out of everything here by presence alone.

PsychBat!

Banned
Hercules #2

Great issue, better than the first! I love modern Hercules, and I love his plight. He recognizes that when he was a drunkard, people saw him as a joke. And now he's sober and embracing the modern era. Abnett is really bringing out a side of Hercules I haven't seen before and it's refreshing.

Hercules #2

Great issue, better than the first! I love modern Hercules, and I love his plight. He recognizes that when he was a drunkard, people saw him as a joke. And now he's sober and embracing the modern era. Abnett is really bringing out a side of Hercules I haven't seen before and it's refreshing.

Noooo I liked drunk Hercules! At least the one I've seen so far in the early marvel days. Although clean shaven Herc is an eyesore.

Ultimates #2

I was expecting not to like this issue since Ultimates #1 was just a pretty book but this issue... I like the team work the Ultimates put in here. They're extremely competent and get the job done, I like that in a team. I hope there's more of that in future issues. The dialogue, I felt, was standard comic book writing. It wasn't bad but it didn't stand out. Real winner here is the relationship between Ewing and Rocafort. Rocafort totally knows what Ewing wants while adding his own personal touches to it, such as paneling for example. Art was amazing just like the last issue. Only problem I have with the book is

Carol feels like she's Blue Marvel's yes man/woman.

Blue Marvel: *Says some scientific shit*

Carol: "That's super dope Blue! Your so smart! I have nothing to contribute!"

I'm not a Carol fan so it doesn't bother me. Her presence in this book feels unneeded. Monica's powers can do almost everything Carol does so why is she on this team?

Was pleasantly surprised by Justice League: Darkseid War: Lex Luthor: Attack of the Colons. It's a Manapaul joint, drawn by Bong Dazo (who knocks it out of the park btw). As such, you can imagine my surprise when... it was actually fairly well written? It doesn't do anything mindblowing, and it's not gonna give anybody the feels, but it's extremely competently written nevertheless.

Eager for Darkseid War to continue, feels like it's been a while since the last installment.

diaspora

Ultimates #2

Carol'd be a better fit with the current GOTG ongoing based on where the story's at.

Tomita

I agree with this. DC's post-Convergence direction has been good overall, they just need to not panic.

Putting better teams on Green Lantern, Flash and Wonder Woman would help more. Seriously, why are they all so bad right now? That's not right.

I'd love a good Green Lantern or Flash comic to read right now. ):

LCS didn't have Kevin Wada Scarlet Witch variant, guess I'm buying it online. I regret nothing. Actually, I have to order something else online so it's not so bad.

Also, I only missed ten points on my Physics final? What the fuuuuuuck??

They are doing Funko Reaction figures for Flash...but only Reverse Flash and Captain Cold. I want a Cisco one, damn it. Also didn't know they made Gremlin ones. Daaamn....

Anyone read Scarlet Witch?

Any impressions of Scarlet Witch? Debating whether to grab it or not.

I'm curious as well. I like Wanda but Robinson's last few books with Marvel haven't gotten the best reception. The fact that Steve Dillon is going to do the art on one issue is a bummer too.

Dillon can't be any worse than Del Rey... There were maybe six pages where I actually liked the art. EDIT: One picture of the NYC skyline is legit stunning.

That said, [tag just in case, but this isn't spoilery]
it's basically a huge set-up comic. Wanda insists on doing things alone, with emphasis on no Avengers, but keeps talking to dead Agatha. She sticks her nose into the NYC police and the set up is that she'll investigate who is tampering with witchcraft. Big emphasis on the witchcraft verses just plain ol' magic or "hex powers" or whatever.

I don't think I can give a better opinion/review until I get my hands on issue two. Sorry! The magic fight scene looked pretty great though and was the best part, hands down, art wise. Like, the art actually looked great there; it wasn't good "despite" the art.

I dunno, everyone buy five copies each anyway so I can keep reading a Scarlet Witch solo series :D

shingi70

Banned
I know its the Marvel U but kinda wish they'd sent Wanda to Boston or something. Kind of redufent with Strange running around.

Tomita

I know its the Marvel U but kinda wish they'd sent Wanda to Boston or something. Kind of redufent with Strange running around.

Can't disagree, though apparently in this comic every issue will be in a different location. Like, #2 is gonna be in Greece. So she will actually rarely be in NYC if my impression's are correct.
Which is silly because #1 just emphasized how she just got this really expensive, nice apartment in NYC, lol. Did she bum money from the Avengers?

They are doing Funko Reaction figures for Flash...but only Reverse Flash and Captain Cold. I want a Cisco one, damn it. Also didn't know they made Gremlin ones. Daaamn....

Man, I don't know how Funko gets away with making such shitty figures in the name of nostalgia. I'm pretty sure the old Kenner figures looked better than these.

Was pleasantly surprised by Justice League: Darkseid War: Lex Luthor: Attack of the Colons. It's a Manapaul joint, drawn by Bong Dazo (who knocks it out of the park btw). As such, you can imagine my surprise when... it was actually fairly well written? It doesn't do anything mindblowing, and it's not gonna give anybody the feels, but it's extremely competently written nevertheless.

Eager for Darkseid War to continue, feels like it's been a while since the last installment.

It does feel like quite a while. Just
after I got ]killed(do we need to tag?)
and it does the one shots...which are interesting but don't do much to advance the story (haven't red Lex tho). Even though its not company wide ala Secret Wars I think Darkseid War will probably also read better in trades. Although I can understand Johns wanting to take a break if Fabok needed time off to play MGSV and get hyped for Star Wars.

For those of us waiting for monthlies it can be torture, but it makes for a better overall product if it's not 2 random issues by Manapaul/another artist. Even though Manapaul does a decent Kirby tribute act.

Carol feels like she's Blue Marvel's yes man/woman.

Blue Marvel: *Says some scientific shit*

Carol: "That's super dope Blue! Your so smart! I have nothing to contribute!"

I'm not a Carol fan so it doesn't bother me. Her presence in this book feels unneeded. Monica's powers can do almost everything Carol does so why is she on this team?

Well, the Avengers have been disbanded, save for Tony's group being reformed, and she didn't go with the Guardians, so she's got nothing going on. She's effectively a cosmic character, so putting her on a cosmic team is the best use of her. Or give her another solo book.

Tomita

Man, I don't know how Funko gets away with making such shitty figures in the name of nostalgia. I'm pretty sure the old Kenner figures looked better than these.

That's the point. They are supposed to look like garbage from the 80s. I love my Kruger one. <3

Also holy shit the Kevin Wada variant is already $12.50. I love you Wada, but not that much.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Well, the Avengers have been disbanded, save for Tony's group being reformed, and she didn't go with the Guardians, so she's got nothing going on. She's effectively a cosmic character, so putting her on a cosmic team is the best use of her. Or give her another solo book.
Do we know yet why the Avengers disbanded?

Scarlet Witch #1 I enjoyed the art. The colors and lines were interesting and drove how different she is.

Pulls more from Engleheart's Wanda mythos.

So good there.

Going to buy #2. And yeah had a Dini Zatanna vibe to it.

Tomita

Scarlet Witch #1 I enjoyed the art. The colors and lines were interesting and drove how different she is.

Pulls more from Engleheart's Wanda mythos.

So good there.

Going to buy #2. And yeah had a Dini Zatanna vibe to it.

The coloring is absolutely great, hands down. But those faces man...

Oh well. I do enjoy the rotating artist idea for this. I mean, normally I hate that sort of thing, but with every book having a different location, I think the idea is actually rather nifty here. Also dear lord is #2 going to be beautiful. Can't wait!

diaspora

So... Ben is in space and Johnny is helping S.H.I.E.L.D.

Is Peter the only person who gave a shit about the Baxter Building?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Secret Wars #8 was amazing.

Groot reveal was the best bit.

No idea how they'll wrap this up in 1 issue.

Top Bottom