• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

PsychBat!

Banned
LPgpvDi.png

It was super hard to choose this week.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I liked Armor Wars #1 a lot more than I thought I would hmmm

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I loaded up on Charisma and the Black Widow perk and feel like I wasted every bit of those upgrade points. I think I hit one speech check where it changed the outcome of a mission.

Black widow gives you damage boost tho, it's not a waste

shingi70

Banned
Early comics are weird. In FF #13 Reed's found a new fuel sort to help beat the reds to the moon, but they've already been to other planets many tines prior. Also every other comic are fighting the Red Meance.

PsychBat!

Banned
How is No Mercy Psychbat?

I have an affinity for it because my parents suffered greatly crossing the US/Mexican border to the US and I was interested in the similar premise this book has. The premise is that several teenagers get lost in the Mexican wilderness while on a field trip (their bus flips off in to the bottom of a small canyon). So I wanted to see these teenagers with their own personal issues and pampered lives react to the harshness of the Mexican wilderness.

So far it's great, it has really cute art which contrasts with some of the darker moments this book has had already. The teenagers, in general, are shitty people, there's a faker, a basic bitch, a horrible brother who is an abusive monster, a sister who might go insane because of her brother and tries to kill him, a girl who hates Mexican food yet prefers horrible junk food (who's probably racist) and there are others who are cool.

I recommend it.

Messi

I have an affinity for it because my parents suffered greatly crossing the US/Mexican border to the US and I was interested in the similar premise this book has. The premise is that several teenagers get lost in the Mexican wilderness while on a field trip (their bus flips off in to the bottom of a small canyon). So I wanted to see these teenagers with their own personal issues and pampered lives react to the harshness of the Mexican wilderness.

So far it's great, it has really cute art which contrasts with some of the darker moments this book has had already. The teenagers, in general, are shitty people, there's a faker, a basic bitch, a horrible brother who is an abusive monster, a sister who might go insane because of her brother and tries to kill him, a girl who hates Mexican food yet prefers horrible junk food (who's probably racist) and there are others who are cool.

I recommend it.

Great, I was gonna get the trade as the premise interested me but I never see anyone here talking about it or see it on pull lists so I assumed it was bad. Will get it soon.

Loved that TMNT trailer.

I sorry.

Thanks for the Shutter recommendation a few weeks ago BTW. I'm 5 issues in and it has been crazy fun so far.

Glad you liked it. It's one of my favorite books.

What if I told you it gets crazier?

PsychBat!

Banned
Great, I was gonna get the trade as the premise interested me but I never see anyone here talking about it or see it on pull lists so I assumed it was bad. Will get it soon.
Issue 4 came out in July so there was an absence of discussion about the book for a while.

Issue 5 coming out today caught me by surprise.

Early comics are weird. In FF #13 Reed's found a new fuel sort to help beat the reds to the moon, but they've already been to other planets many tines prior. Also every other comic are fighting the Red Meance.
That reminds me of a moment in Hickman's Fantastic Four that annoyed me so thoroughly I dropped the book. It starts with Reed standing in front of this TED Talks expy (that I'm pretty sure he founded) and he gives this longwinded and frankly pretentious speech about how he's super disappointed in everyone there (except She Hulk) for being so defeatist and setting their sights so low, only on getting back into upper earth orbit! And the problem with this is that earlier that day, Reed and the rest of the gang had gone to the moon and back.

So I guess what I'm saying is that that never goes away.

And also fuck Reed Richards, that twat.

Rhaknar

That reminds me of a moment in Hickman's Fantastic Four that annoyed me so thoroughly I dropped the book. It starts with Reed standing in front of this TED Talks expy (that I'm pretty sure he founded) and he gives this longwinded and frankly pretentious speech about how he's super disappointed in everyone there (except She Hulk) for being so defeatist and setting their sights so low, only on getting back into upper earth orbit! And the problem with this is that earlier that day, Reed and the rest of the gang had gone to the moon and back.

Where's my Doom Was Right T-shirt?

PsychBat!

Banned
Reed ain't wrong there though.

It's basically a super genius telling the rest of society to catch up. I guess the super genius part got to you.

Rhaknar

Superior Iron Man #9 was fun. All out battle Royale with Superior Tony vs an army of Iron Men, but in the end Tony wins by losing on purpose in order to slip a virus to basically kill himself (the himself AI imprint from 8 years prior that is). Fun run, loved the symbiote armor.

shingi70

Banned
Except since he's sitting on everything he's berating them for not inventing, he just comes off as an egomaniacal jagoff who's only there to stroke his ego.

Reed Richards Is Useless.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReedRichardsIsUseless

Wasn't that the point of Hickman's Run on FF, Ultimates, and Avengers. Reed is the ass who sent his friends into a cloud of cosmic radiation without proper research. Without the others dude would have destroyed the earth.

Wasn't that the point of Hickman's Run on FF, Ultimates, and Avengers. Reed is the ass who sent his friends into a cloud of cosmic radiation without proper research. Without the others dude would have destroyed the earth.
I'd buy that, but a lot of the time (in what I read, at least) it feels like I'm supposed to be nodding along with him.

I get that what you said is probably (certainly) what Hickman was going for, but ye gods is it gratingly executed.

idk if i remember it or daydreamed it but i think richards doesnt share all of his tech for a reason. something along the lines of you cant drag society in to the future. they have to get there. so just because he's the smartest guy on the earth, it doesnt mean he should solve the world's problems.

edit: those clay mann pencils look pretty great. based on the art id def give the title a shot

PsychBat!

Banned
Except since he's sitting on everything he's berating them for not inventing, he just comes off as an egomaniacal jagoff who's only there to stroke his ego.

Reed Richards Is Useless.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReedRichardsIsUseless

The fact that he's a super genius and saying that stuff annoys you. That's what I meant.

Anyways, Ed's right. Humanity has to catch up but we're still holding ourselves back.

but ye gods is it gratingly executed.
Not at all.

shingi70

Banned
I'd buy that, but a lot of the time (in what I read, at least) it feels like I'm supposed to be nodding along with him.

I get that what you said is probably (certainly) what Hickman was going for, but ye gods is it gratingly executed.

That's sort of intentional though, the fantastic Four keeps Reed from becoming a Doctor Doom sort, but it doesn't curb the fact that he talks down to nearly everyone around him. For all of its flaws Civil really got Reeds personality down to a tee, dude is the prime example of Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

Curious to find out what happened to Reed and Sue, next month.

Owzers

Nah, just not feeling it.

you could play fallout 4? Beat it before Freeza?

I read issue #23 of Duggan Deadpool on MU, the one with the Aliens-ish cover and had some aliens-ish moments but i think they really botched the potential for this issue by taking away all tension and just running through the ship so fast. Random 6/10 for still being funny at times but it was disappointing.

Messi

you could play fallout 4? Beat it before Freeza?

I read issue #23 of Duggan Deadpool on MU, the one with the Aliens-ish cover and had some aliens-ish moments but i think they really botched the potential for this issue by taking away all tension and just running through the ship so fast. Random 6/10 for still being funny at times but it was disappointing.

I've been playing Witcher 3. But I just want to be Triss. The game refuses to let me do what I want.

Tizoc

GloriousBlondAstarte.gif

HarmlessSnarlingBlacklab.gif

hype as fuuuuuuuuck

I said goddamn. It'll likely be cringeworthy but wtf I'm in for Rocksteady and Bebop

Does Monstress remind anyone else of Vampire Hunter D and Berserk?

I only ever remember the animated movies of VHD, but Berserk is...way more bloodier and has such awesome light humor that it's hard to compare it with them :V

No offense Spike but when was the last time you read Berserk :X

LPgpvDi.png

It was super hard to choose this week.

Well when most of the comics y'all read are so mediocre, making a Top 5 list is initself a challenge :V

1nZuuPz.gif
TYRANT RAVE'S FAVORITE COMICS OF 2015
1nZuuPz.gif

I've talked in greater detail about pretty much all of these in the past so I'm keeping it brief. I read a lot of older comics this year so I wanted to just talk about things I've read in general instead of focusing on just new releases.

Hellboy / B.P.R.D. - I'm a huge sucker for mythology and folklore, so it's hard not to love this whole franchise. Mignola created this incredible universe with a big emphasis on them so it was love at first sight for me. Both of these series are absolutely fantastic in every sense of the word. Hellboy is this incredibly moody comic with a great sense of humor thrown in while BPRD is more of a team book with a super strong cast of characters. They've become some of my favorite series out there and I've probably dumped more than $200 into them since the summer. Cannot recommend them enough if you're looking for an alternative to Marvel/DC.

Batman Inc. / Seven Soldiers of Victory - Two great Morrison stories I read for the first time this year. Batman Inc. is the finale to his excellent run on Batman and more or less captures everything fantastic about the whole Batfamily. Seven Soldiers is just this super cool megaseries in general. I loved how it's a story about a team that never really assembles to stop this great threat, it's a shame it doesn't get talked about as much as Morrison's other DC work despite the fact that it is just as good.

Kyle Baker's work - Kind of cheating by just throwing an entire creator's work here, but I didn't want to dedicate three different spots to the dude. Baker's an awesome cartoonist who is excellent at capturing different emotions. Plastic Man is just such a pure fun comic, You Are Here is like a great movie, and Why I Hate Saturn has some rather clever dialogue that's hard not to love. If I had to pick one favorite, I'd go with You Are Here.

Paul Pope's work - Another creator. I've always kind of glossed over the cover to Batman Year 100, and I decided to pick it up after hearing it was cool (shoutouts to frye). I am SO glad I did. Pope's art is just great. Everything from the way he draws effects to text just oozes cool. 100% in particular is probably my favorite of what I have read by him (haven't started two of my Pope books lol). It's a romance comic with sci-fi elements done in black and white and it kind of focuses on the struggles everyone goes through in their relationships in a way. Check it out.

P.S. I also own two signed books by Pope and you don't

Love and Rockets - I'm not even close to being done with this, but I really love this series so far. Jamie Hernandez captures the whole culture of Latin Americans living in the States perfectly. The cast of characters is very charming as well, from the superhero-obsessed Penny Century to the female wrestler Rena Titanon. Just a fun read with great art.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl - This is, hands down, my favorite new ongoing of the year. I've always liked the character so it's pretty awesome to see her star in her own series. It helps too that the writing is really good. The jokes are pretty consistently funny and a lot of the dialogue ends up being smarter than it has any right to be. I don't think anyone would expect Squirrel Girl and Galactus to have a conversation regarding gender pronouns, but here we are. What's great too, is that this is a book that anyone can read. I'd like to see more like this and Gotham Academy on the stands.

Daredevil - Using this spot for both Bendis and Waid's runs. Each of them tackle a different sort of tone for the character, and both are great at what they do. Bendis's run is more gritty and features Matt becoming the Kingpin while Waid's run has Matt trying to be just a little more optimistic and playful with life. Both of them have a bunch of great arcs, the Ikari arc from Waid's run being my favorite, and really elevated the character for me. Daredevil has become one of my favorite Marvel characters easily.

Batgirl - I read a lot of Batgirl this year! I finished the Stephanie Brown series, read 30-40 issues of the Cass series, and I read all of the current run so far as well. The Steph and Babs stuff are more lighthearted and just good, wholesome fun. The Cass series is a bit darker but I loved seeing her grow more as a character as the series progressed. It's a damn shame her and Steph were missing when the New 52 began, but we're finally getting somewhere with them which rules. I think the Steph run is my favorite largely due to the crossover issues, like the one with Supergirl, the Damien issues, or the one where she's stuck with Klarion. I love how much of a goofball she is, whether she's Robin, Spoiler, or Batgirl. It's hard not to love her.

Megahex - This is a comic I never expected to like. I'm not really one for stoner comedies, but this comic is a riot. It's extremely crude, and I definitely would not recommend it to everyone, but if you can get into it, you'll have fun. Beyond that, it's also pretty sad to see how drugs and mental illness do affect these characters. The section where Megg goes through her depression is rough.

Umbrella Academy - I've only read the first of the two volumes, but it's basically the closest thing we've got to Morrison's Doom Patrol. Considering how much I loved Doom Patrol, I don't think I could give Umbrella Academy higher praise.

Beyond these, there are quite a few other books that I've really been enjoying this year:
Rachel Rising (still in volume 2... great so far!)
Starfire
Gotham Academy
Remender's Image work
Paper Girls
King's work (Vision and Grayson)
Rumble

Plus series I still need to start/read more of like Morrison's JLA, The Spire, Nameless, Solo, Johns's Flash, etc.

So overall, I read a lot of good-ass comics this year, new and old, and I'm really happy about that. I've also become closer with multiple regulars here, and that's also something that's made me extremely happy (who doesn't like making friends). I've mentioned elsewhere that last year was kind of rough for me personally, and even this year started off rather poorly. But, I got a new job over the summer and I really feel like I've started to gain control of my life again following this and I have become more comfortable with where I'm at. Thank you to everyone who has made this thread so welcoming over my time here, you're awesome.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
League of Realms! They got D&D on mah Thor and I love it.

Also yay for Ribic being back for Last Days of Midgard

Nah, I found it horrible and Malekith was written to edgy for me. The issue where we learn about his origin was nice.
The books really gets better again when Ribic returns, I really could feel Thors frustration.
And man, that fight with Galactus :D So great :D

Top Bottom