• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

i like the cut of your jib tyrant

im not sure which of my top books released this year.

one thing for sure

we can add sandman overture to the pantheon of undoubtedly great comics.

gaiman, jhwiii, stewart and klein are wizards goddamn

or more appropriately

they are dreamers ;_;

Tizoc

NVM, I think I can make a top 10 list~

1- Transformers: MTMTE

2- Megaman

3- Kaijumax

4- Klaus

5- Godzilla in Hell

6- Mutliversity and Daredevil

7- Archie

8- Southern Bastards

9- Howard the Duck

10- Darth Vader & Star Wars

Honorable mentions:
Hellboy, BPRD and Lobster Johson. Basically the Mignolaverse.

Will write up about them later

I might be cheating with Multiversity since most issues of it published in 2014 :p It and Daredevil would tie, actually you know what, editting my list @_@
What say you Spike?

Tomita

Those pencils are a thing of beauty... Sheesh.

I said goddamn. It'll likely be cringeworthy but wtf I'm in for Rocksteady and Bebop

I feel like I am literally the only TMNT fan who doesn't give a shit about Bebop and Rocksteady. Like, they're fine...? And I dug the new spin on them in the new tv show. But I can never relate to the OMG WHEN ARE BEBOP AND ROCKSTEADY SHOWING UP THO?! mentality.

I know, I know. BRB lemme grab my card so you can revoke my fan privileges.

I can't wait to read the Batman/TMNT issue but I am waiting until my last final tomorrow to read it. If I don't pass the exam, I have to pay $100 to retake it. Why. ;_;
And then after this I will stop annoying ya'll with school talk. Maybe.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nah, I found it horrible and Malekith was written to edgy for me. The issue where we learn about his origin was nice.
The books really gets better again when Ribic returns, I really could feel Thors frustration.
And man, that fight with Galactus :D So great :D

Well sir, it is I who does not like you anymore now

Tizoc

Those pencils are a thing of beauty... Sheesh.

I feel like I am literally the only TMNT fan who doesn't give a shit about Bebop and Rocksteady. Like, they're fine...? And I dug the new spin on them in the new tv show. But I can never relate to the OMG WHEN ARE BEBOP AND ROCKSTEADY SHOWING UP THO?! mentality.

I know, I know. BRB lemme grab my card so you can revoke my fan privileges.

I can't wait to read the Batman/TMNT issue but I am waiting until my last final tomorrow to read it. If I don't pass the exam, I have to pay $100 to retake it. Why. ;_;
And then after this I will stop annoying ya'll with school talk. Maybe.

Eh it's cool, but do you LIKE the Ninja Turtles series in general or certain series/adaptations of it?

Tomita

Eh it's cool, but do you LIKE the Ninja Turtles series in general or certain series/adaptations of it?

80s cartoon and the new cartoon. The 2003 cartoon is boring to me; I tried to watch some eps and couldn't get into it at the time or now, though there was a time travel episode I think that was pretty rad. Someone could maaaybe persuade me to try it again but I kinda suck at watching TV shows anyway?? The older movies are sorta campy fun but I didn't watch the movies until real recently so I don't have nostalgia goggles for them. CG movie was meh. And I like the comics, though I've mostly just read the real old school shit. Been meaning to read more, but there's like five thousand million billion comics in the world and I will die before I finish everything. :D One day.

Did I pass the TMNT fan test? /s I'm really just amused more than anything.
Though I see people who just watch the 80s cartoon and nothing else foaming their mouths over Bebop and Rocksteady and I'm just like Guys they're just kinda okay wtf?? Shruuuug!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My Top 10 for the year....

1. Manifest Destiny
2. Monstress
3. Autumnlands
4. Paper Girls
5. Spread
6. Southern Bastards
7. Deadly Class
8. The Wicked + The Divine
9. The Beauty
10. Starfire

PsychBat!

Banned
Post your list then make the picture :V

You shall pay the price for your lack of vision!

Tomita

Can't wait to watch Return of the Jedi tomorrow. Also, my dad is going to see Force Awakens with me? But Dad, you don't even like Star Wars. What's going on?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finished Thor God of Thunder. Leads directly to Jane Thor, I though there was a gap. Guess I really should have read it first lol.

Amazing run and easily up there with some of my favorite comics ever. Jason Aaron is on a ridiculous streak atm, Bendis has the infamy and Hickman the popularity, but Aaron is probably the VIP at Marvel right now imo, it's no wonder they locked him up as exclusive.

Do we know yet why the Avengers disbanded?
I mean they were trashed even before Secret Wars.
So... Ben is in space and Johnny is helping S.H.I.E.L.D.

Is Peter the only person who gave a shit about the Baxter Building?
Johnny is also helping the Inhuman Royal Family (or what's left of it)
Think I'll drop Cyborg after this first arc. Isn't very interesting.
That's still a book?
One thing I forgot to ask in our weird
ly awesome
x-men talk last night, has anyone ever made a alternate universe Kitty Pryde who is just a stone cold assassin, phasing people into the floor and shit? Her power would be so OP for someone without morals

I mean, AoA kitty was a badass but not exactly evil
The one arc about Illyana. The entire book was dedicated to developing her. It all took place in Limbo. There was a version of Kitty that was a murder-assassin.
It's Bobby Morse, sillybird.
They gave her
wings?
That's fucking stupid.
I'd recommend Rat Queens over Alias. Art and paneling is better and overall I enjoy it much more. Alias was ok but I was rather disappointed with it myself.
Very different books though.
She's Spider-man's SHIELD connection.
Also
Silk's
Giant Size Little Marvel AvX #1 - oh...oh my god? I can't handle so much cuteness, it's too much...too much cuteness Skottie, it's too much

Favorite Secret Wars tie in...I'm actually serious >_<
Everyone loved it.
Early comics are weird. In FF #13 Reed's found a new fuel sort to help beat the reds to the moon, but they've already been to other planets many tines prior. Also every other comic are fighting the Red Meance.
Wait until the Avengers spend most of their time fighting the Bamboo Curtain.
Read the first few issues of BMB's Daredevil and am enjoying it a lot. Quite a shift coming from Astonishing X-Men though lol
Super different books. Bendis' DD run is one of my favorite books, period. My favorite story is the Daredevil Anonymous Group meeting.

Batman was fucking great. That last page. YES. I love where Snyder is going with this.

Batman and TMNT was cool as shit.

I'm probably the only person that picked up New Romancer. It was fun and really enjoyable.

Batman and Robin Eternal continues to be really fun and it's adding a lot of needed depth to the nu52 Robin lore.

Amazing Spider-Man is heading in some fun directions.

SW8 Jesus fuck Hickman learn to not drag shit out. This series could have been over three issues ago. Reed's oh hey was really funny though.

I need to start Robin War and catch up on Constantine.

tim1138

1nZuuPz.gif
TYRANT RAVE'S FAVORITE COMICS OF 2015
1nZuuPz.gif

I've talked in greater detail about pretty much all of these in the past so I'm keeping it brief. I read a lot of older comics this year so I wanted to just talk about things I've read in general instead of focusing on just new releases.

Hellboy / B.P.R.D. - I'm a huge sucker for mythology and folklore, so it's hard not to love this whole franchise. Mignola created this incredible universe with a big emphasis on them so it was love at first sight for me. Both of these series are absolutely fantastic in every sense of the word. Hellboy is this incredibly moody comic with a great sense of humor thrown in while BPRD is more of a team book with a super strong cast of characters. They've become some of my favorite series out there and I've probably dumped more than $200 into them since the summer. Cannot recommend them enough if you're looking for an alternative to Marvel/DC.

Batman Inc. / Seven Soldiers of Victory - Two great Morrison stories I read for the first time this year. Batman Inc. is the finale to his excellent run on Batman and more or less captures everything fantastic about the whole Batfamily. Seven Soldiers is just this super cool megaseries in general. I loved how it's a story about a team that never really assembles to stop this great threat, it's a shame it doesn't get talked about as much as Morrison's other DC work despite the fact that it is just as good.

Kyle Baker's work - Kind of cheating by just throwing an entire creator's work here, but I didn't want to dedicate three different spots to the dude. Baker's an awesome cartoonist who is excellent at capturing different emotions. Plastic Man is just such a pure fun comic, You Are Here is like a great movie, and Why I Hate Saturn has some rather clever dialogue that's hard not to love. If I had to pick one favorite, I'd go with You Are Here.

Paul Pope's work - Another creator. I've always kind of glossed over the cover to Batman Year 100, and I decided to pick it up after hearing it was cool (shoutouts to frye). I am SO glad I did. Pope's art is just great. Everything from the way he draws effects to text just oozes cool. 100% in particular is probably my favorite of what I have read by him (haven't started two of my Pope books lol). It's a romance comic with sci-fi elements done in black and white and it kind of focuses on the struggles everyone goes through in their relationships in a way. Check it out.

P.S. I also own two signed books by Pope and you don't

Love and Rockets - I'm not even close to being done with this, but I really love this series so far. Jamie Hernandez captures the whole culture of Latin Americans living in the States perfectly. The cast of characters is very charming as well, from the superhero-obsessed Penny Century to the female wrestler Rena Titanon. Just a fun read with great art.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl - This is, hands down, my favorite new ongoing of the year. I've always liked the character so it's pretty awesome to see her star in her own series. It helps too that the writing is really good. The jokes are pretty consistently funny and a lot of the dialogue ends up being smarter than it has any right to be. I don't think anyone would expect Squirrel Girl and Galactus to have a conversation regarding gender pronouns, but here we are. What's great too, is that this is a book that anyone can read. I'd like to see more like this and Gotham Academy on the stands.

Daredevil - Using this spot for both Bendis and Waid's runs. Each of them tackle a different sort of tone for the character, and both are great at what they do. Bendis's run is more gritty and features Matt becoming the Kingpin while Waid's run has Matt trying to be just a little more optimistic and playful with life. Both of them have a bunch of great arcs, the Ikari arc from Waid's run being my favorite, and really elevated the character for me. Daredevil has become one of my favorite Marvel characters easily.

Batgirl - I read a lot of Batgirl this year! I finished the Stephanie Brown series, read 30-40 issues of the Cass series, and I read all of the current run so far as well. The Steph and Babs stuff are more lighthearted and just good, wholesome fun. The Cass series is a bit darker but I loved seeing her grow more as a character as the series progressed. It's a damn shame her and Steph were missing when the New 52 began, but we're finally getting somewhere with them which rules. I think the Steph run is my favorite largely due to the crossover issues, like the one with Supergirl, the Damien issues, or the one where she's stuck with Klarion. I love how much of a goofball she is, whether she's Robin, Spoiler, or Batgirl. It's hard not to love her.

Megahex - This is a comic I never expected to like. I'm not really one for stoner comedies, but this comic is a riot. It's extremely crude, and I definitely would not recommend it to everyone, but if you can get into it, you'll have fun. Beyond that, it's also pretty sad to see how drugs and mental illness do affect these characters. The section where Megg goes through her depression is rough.

Umbrella Academy - I've only read the first of the two volumes, but it's basically the closest thing we've got to Morrison's Doom Patrol. Considering how much I loved Doom Patrol, I don't think I could give Umbrella Academy higher praise.

Beyond these, there are quite a few other books that I've really been enjoying this year:
Rachel Rising (still in volume 2... great so far!)
Starfire
Gotham Academy
Remender's Image work
Paper Girls
King's work (Vision and Grayson)
Rumble

Plus series I still need to start/read more of like Morrison's JLA, The Spire, Nameless, Solo, Johns's Flash, etc.

So overall, I read a lot of good-ass comics this year, new and old, and I'm really happy about that. I've also become closer with multiple regulars here, and that's also something that's made me extremely happy (who doesn't like making friends). I've mentioned elsewhere that last year was kind of rough for me personally, and even this year started off rather poorly. But, I got a new job over the summer and I really feel like I've started to gain control of my life again following this and I have become more comfortable with where I'm at. Thank you to everyone who has made this thread so welcoming over my time here, you're awesome.

Solid list, I always enjoy reading your thoughts on what you're currently reading.
Love & Rockets is a series I need to read more of, I have a couple of the New Stories books from a CMX sale and have read a handful of the older comics, but I keep meaning to dive into the whole series.

I'll try and get my year end list up this weekend, I have a pretty good idea of what's going to be on it.

Messi

Does anyone have a store that still has the Harley Quinn little black book variant for Green Lantern? My store stiffed me after I pre-ordered :(. I really wanted that one too.

Rhaknar

I really enjoyed Young Avengers #1-5 (the first arc), especially Loki (as expected). Didn't know Kate was in this also. And, what I thought was a big mystery in Loki Agent of Asgard (the whole thing about him being a version of evil Loki that killed kid Loki and took over his body) is just straight up said in the first issues here, so I guess it wasn't a big mystery after all lol.

So was America Chavez a creation for this or did she exist already? I like her, she's a badass.

Messi

I really enjoyed Young Avengers #1-5 (the first arc), especially Loki (as expected). Didn't know Kate was in this also. And, what I thought was a big mystery in Loki Agent of Asgard (the whole thing about him being a version of evil Loki that killed kid Loki and took over his body) is just straight up said in the first issues here, so I guess it wasn't a big mystery after all lol.

So was America Chavez a creation for this or did she exist already? I like her, she's a badass.

Are you team Amerikate?

Best of 2015... Well, I'm gonna wait until the 31st order the list and fill in the gaps, but I read a lot of Morrison stuff for the first time this year, so Doom Patrol, Seven Soldiers of Victory, Final Crisis and maybe (probably) JLA all have guaranteed slots. For books actually from 2015, The Omega Men and Martian Manhunter are easy locks. Probably gonna try for top 10.

Top Bottom