• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Tizoc

He does indeed have the master plan
rAs8DVu.jpg

The Marvel relaunch has been great so far but its missing a big Juciy team book right now. One thing I like about John's Justice League and Hickman's Avengers are they feel like your reading event comics month to month. Your actually seeing universe pushed forward and everything matters. We're seeing our heroes face threats that only the Justice League and Avengers can deal with when Orms forces take out the Justice League and Cyborg has the call reseveres in it was impactful. Likewise in Avengers seeing Thanos come to earth as the team leaves to fight the builders had me at the edge of my seat. None of the ANM teams books give me that feeling that they're going to be pushing the universe. Ideally Avengers/Guaridans/FF should be the big Easy to follow books that lead into the big summer events or better yet the event is played out throught the said book.

Sorry for the Wall of text, PS All New Avengers really should be two books ANAD and Young Avengers.

It's really more of a fence.

diaspora

The Marvel relaunch has been great so far but its missing a big Juciy team book right now. One thing I like about John's Justice League and Hickman's Avengers are they feel like your reading event comics month to month. Your actually seeing universe pushed forward and everything matters. We're seeing our heroes face threats that only the Justice League and Avengers can deal with when Orms forces take out the Justice League and Cyborg has the call reseveres in it was impactful. Likewise in Avengers seeing Thanos come to earth as the team leaves to fight the builders had me at the edge of my seat. None of the ANM teams books give me that feeling that they're going to be pushing the universe. Ideally Avengers/Guaridans/FF should be the big Easy to follow books that lead into the big summer events or better yet the event is played out throught the said book.

Sorry for the Wall of text, PS All New Avengers really should be two books ANAD and Young Avengers.
Ultimates is OK, and Spider-Man is bro-ing it up with Mockingbird, but that's all that's happening now really.

Invincible....will never be replaced by a new Kirkman book, NEVER.

Sure, dude, I believe you. I enjoyed the first volume of Invincible enough to buy the first hundred issues or so when they went on sale on CMX. Gotta get to reading them at some point.

Doesn't mean The Outcast isn't also awesome.

tim1138

Thanks man (and everyone else), definitely looking forward to seeing what's on your list! I have a feeling I know some of the titles you'll include already.

Love & Rockets is really great. Jaime's story doesn't really find its groove till after the Maggie the Mechanic arc IMO but it's still entertaining enough. It improves a lot after that though. I haven't started The Palomar stuff yet but I'll probably look into it after I finish the Locas stuff.

I've got my list all arranged. Tomorrow should be a slow at work, so I'll get a chance to write up some commentary and get it posted tomorrow evening or Saturday.

Something like this?

N7OXfyI.jpg
That hurts my brain to look at. It's so daunting. Off of that I've only read War of Kings and Realm of Kings.

Johns' early Justice League is not very good. Not until Throne of Atlantis, and after that it's Forever Evil, which is basically a Justice League Villains book. After that it starts building to Darkseid War, which I've heard only good things about.

PsychBat!

Banned
That hurts my brain to look at. It's so daunting. Off of that I've only read War of Kings and Realm of Kings.

Really? You are definitely missing out on good comics man. :p Ah well get on them when you get the chance.

You sure do like events.

Owzers

Sure, dude, I believe you. I enjoyed the first volume of Invincible enough to buy the first hundred issues or so when they went on sale on CMX. Gotta get to reading them at some point.

Doesn't mean The Outcast isn't also awesome.

I need to read my Outcast vol 1 trade that lives with my other backlog titles.

Messi

Caught up on Ms Marvel fully. This book is cute. In a very specific way. But it is a good kind of cute. Bruno is totally going to be forever alone :(

Messi

Ms Marvel I find also reads much better in bunched up issues or the OHC. I suppose most books do but I read Ms Marvel originally monthly and disliked it despite its obvious hooks designed to appeal to someone like me. But it caught me fully in trade.

shingi70

Banned
Is Jughead as good as the main Archie book? Speaking of I wish Annie Wu could do two monthlis. Her work on Archie #4 was quite stellar.

Messi

Is Jughead as good as the main Archie book? Speaking of I wish Annie Wu could do two monthlis. Her work on Archie #4 was quite stellar.

Jughead is also great. But beware people don't like erica Hendersons art. I love it but she is divisive . Zdarsky writes a good book.

Bleeding Cool is spreading a rumor now that DC is looking for a new creative team to take over Batman, artist AND writer. Place your bets as to how false that is.

I also love Henderson's art but I didn't like Jughead #1 nearly as much as Archie #1. I dropped Jughead, whereas I called my shop today and had them put all of the Archie singles in my box. This scientifically proves that Archie is way better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finished Young Avengers, what a strange book. Fun run tho, I quite enjoyed it. I need more America Chavez in my life. And also more Loki (yes I've read Agent of Asgard)

Messi

Bleeding Cool is spreading a rumor now that DC is looking for a new creative team to take over Batman, artist AND writer. Place your bets as to how false that is.

If Capullo and Snyder are going to do JL like some assume wouldn't they leave batman? I don't see Snyder leaving batman

--

I just want to hug Katchoo and tell her everything will be ok :(

Shaanyboi

Banned

Well Snyder said Endgame was going to be his last story, but he stuck around for one last bit of crazy while he feels he's earned the right to get away with it. Wouldn't be surprised if Snyder is ready to bow out, especially now that Capullo has already announced his final issue.

Messi

Do we know what the status of Emma Frost is in the new universe or what book she will pop up in? Really hoping for Extraordinary X-Men just to fuck with them.

okay is the whole "silk is a scumbag now" thing a joke or what

Look at the #1 cover.

Messi

right, they literally say she's a double agent in the issue

It was a joke from day one. I felt that was blatantly obvious. Especially considering the laughable shit people here were making up about Silk after #1 came out. About just how evil she is.

This week's Batman & Robin Eternal was kinda weak. Art wasn't much to look at, which is pretty unfortunate since it's a very action-heavy chapter. As such, the fights I was looking forward to last week land pretty flat.

Writing wise, the flashbacks are alternating between confusing me and kind of blowing my mind. Shit is strange, yo. They're clearly trying to add more possibility to the shocker at the end of #1 being what it looked like, which I know that it's not, but I'll admit that that's only because I know there's no way they'd undermine the status quo like that. If this was an OGN with no relation to the greater DCU I'd be 100% on board.

Modern day is a little more mixed. This was very much Tim's issue, both on the combat and the brains front, which is kinda annoying since combat is sort of Jason's thing. Might just be my fanboyism clouding my judgement :p. Dick and Harper Row are a fun team, but they need to bring Steph and Cass back into the circle of things. And the ending... at this point I'm beginning to wonder who isn't one of Mother's children.

It was a joke from day one. I felt that was blatantly obvious. Especially considering the laughable shit people here were making up about Silk after #1 came out. About just how evil she is.

But sometimes you say that stuff and mean it, so it's kind of confusing :|

Messi

What say you ComicGAF?

Superior Spider-Man

But sometimes you say that stuff and mean it, so it's kind of confusing :|

I don't know what to tell you if you think Silk is in any way capable of killing a baby and getting away with it in a marvel book. That was one of the things someone suggested was in there.

All I ever said was I wouldn't support that book while she was evil. Marvel were the ones who used an evil cover and the Sinister Silk tagline.

If Capullo and Snyder are going to do JL like some assume wouldn't they leave batman? I don't see Snyder leaving batman

--

I just want to hug Katchoo and tell her everything will be ok :(

did anything ever come out of that rumor around NYCC where Snyder apparently said he's working on a team book that's bigger than Batman?

I'd love to see Snyder's take on JL, then Johns will finally be free to do Shazam.

edit: nvm, one of the qualifiers was a reboot.

Owzers

kinda bored with comics despite knowing i'd have a bunch of stuff i'd like if i read them.

Invincible #125 was okay but underwhelming,
Mark tries to talk his dad out of fighting him and then he fights him and then after they were done his dad was like " yo we shouldn't have fought." It just doesn't seem like Kirkman is pushing the book to make this "reboot" interesting, though next issue has potential.

Star Wars #5 was also firmly in the okay territory, the first couple issues surprised me at how much i liked the character interactions but i'm focusing on the story itself and it's lacking, which is the same thing that happened with the recent dark horse buffy and angel books to various degrees.

next up seems to be Ultimates #1

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Superior Spider-Man
Superior. Though New Warriors is solid too.

Superior Spider-Man #1-3 - really liking this, which was expected since I loved Otto in Spiderverse. I like Pete's "ghost" hanging around too freaking out (and ocasionally being impressed with Otto's actual good ideas). Can't wait for Anna Maria to show up, I really like her in Amazing. Also, love the art and it's fucking Stegman again, so...again...what the hell happened with Uncanny Avengers >_<

Oh and also, it seems Peter and MJ were getting back together before this, was that just another evil cocktease to Spiderman fans? That's a dick move tbh lol

Edit: did Otto actually just blow Massacre's brains out? :eek:

Emma and the Cuckoos would be OP as fuck on a team.

Fuck it, put Rachel Grey on the team and have the main villains be Shadow King and Cassandra Nova.

Emma
Cuckoos
Rachel Grey
Eva Bell
Blink

Rhaknar

Quentin am cry

What a wasted character. I can't believe we don't have ANAD book with the x kids, a new New Mutants or Generation X or whatever you want to call it, with Emma as headmistress, it writes itself :(

Anyway I'm loving Superior Spider-Man, gotta call it at issue #9 for now, and do some *gasp actual work

Thanks for all the suggestions for Space Opera style comics to read, I'll check them out when I can. I'll never understand why there are 3 comic stores right next to each other in Newcastle.

Top Bottom