• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Ok Im gonna try to do a top whatever comics I read in 2015

gonna do them as posts by themselves

Zero
by Kot, Bellaire, Muller, Cowles and a cavalcade of artists including Tradd Moore, Tula Lotay, Michael Walsh and Ian Bertram
yHLOUNs.jpg
One of my very favorite series ever. Anachronistically presented, each issue gives us a look at the overarching story and features a new line artist. Each artist is distinctive from the previous and the following. It is a testament to the title that each issue has a distinct identity while fitting comfortably with the rest.

If you're familiar with Kot's work you may find the fundamental underlying idea of leaving violence behind. Violence in his books has an impact. When a character involves themselves in conflict they come out different. They lose parts of themselves in fights and you can see how their humanity has been stripped. Zero is a lot about trying to get that humanity back.

For a book with a longing for peace, it features exceptional fights. They are brutal and feel honest. I'm not sure there's a writer better fit than Kot to write fights/conflicts/violence. He doesn't back down from showing the nasty parts without glorifying it.

You can't talk about Zero without mentioning the 'look' of it. Jordie Bellaire colors each book and Tom Muller designs it. Bellaire stabilizes the overall storytelling artwork book to book. Every issue she reinvents her colors to suit the line artist. She's always careful to invoke mood and texturize without overdoing it and losing the form created by the linework. Her approach to colors may be the best in comics. There's a reason Kot trusts Bellaire with the most important visual motifs in the book.

Tom Muller is the most important designer in comics right and he designs everything on Zero. Each cover artist has their linework incorporated into the overall design of the book. Every cover is striking and looks nothing like 95% of other comics out there. Much like Bellaire, Muller makes and unmakes Zero's logo, exploring and shaping the chameleon graphic.

Some people think this title went off the rails at the end and that the last 3 or so issues can be skipped. I completely disagree. The story does take a swerve but focusing on the story arc rather than the emotional arc is a mistake in this book. The emotional journey of Zero doesnt stop until the end. Issue 18 was cathartic as fuck. In my estimation, this group of artists have created a title of distinction

besada

Banned
tCPZRq3.jpg

We Can Never Go Home #3

I'm really enjoying it. About a teenage girl with super powers and a guy with emotional issues getting in over their heads.

Edit: my name is ed...you convinced me.

This week's Batman & Robin Eternal was kinda weak. Art wasn't much to look at, which is pretty unfortunate since it's a very action-heavy chapter. As such, the fights I was looking forward to last week land pretty flat.

Writing wise, the flashbacks are alternating between confusing me and kind of blowing my mind. Shit is strange, yo. They're clearly trying to add more possibility to the shocker at the end of #1 being what it looked like, which I know that it's not, but I'll admit that that's only because I know there's no way they'd undermine the status quo like that. If this was an OGN with no relation to the greater DCU I'd be 100% on board.

Modern day is a little more mixed. This was very much Tim's issue, both on the combat and the brains front, which is kinda annoying since combat is sort of Jason's thing. Might just be my fanboyism clouding my judgement :p. Dick and Harper Row are a fun team, but they need to bring Steph and Cass back into the circle of things. And the ending... at this point I'm beginning to wonder who isn't one of Mother's children.

But sometimes you say that stuff and mean it, so it's kind of confusing :|

I don't think any of them are and the whole build me a Robin thing was a long con by Bruce.

tim1138

tCPZRq3.jpg

We Can Never Go Home #3

I'm really enjoying it. About a teenage girl with super powers and a guy with emotional issues getting in over their heads.

That was one of my favorite sequences in the series. "Bathing suit. Bathing suit. Bathing suit with a cape. Bathing suit."

Sadist

I need to read Vision. So much praise for the series.

As for my personal favourite comics this year... (Randomly)

- New Avengers by Hickman (So many great moments, with the Thor/Hyperion bromance being fantastic)
- Transformers: More than Meets the Eye (A wacky, fun space adventure. With Megatron as captain. And Rodimus the co-captain hur hur)
- Secret Wars (Even with all the delays, shit was amazing. Punisher panel in the first issue is one of the greatest things ever)
- Ms. Marvel (Sweet, fun, geeky and Kamala quickly became one of my favourite heroes in the Marvel universe)
- Thors (A great copdrama with hammers)

I don't think any of them are and the whole build me a Robin thing was a long con by Bruce.

Well, we know Tim is. I'm sure that Bruce is pulling some kind of con, but again, that's only because I know they wouldn't really do it. Otherwise it's quite an effective sell.

I need to read Vision. So much praise for the series.

As for my personal favourite comics this year... (Randomly)

- New Avengers by Hickman (So many great moments, with the Thor/Hyperion bromance being fantastic)
- Transformers: More than Meets the Eye (A wacky, fun space adventure. With Megatron as captain. And Rodimus the co-captain hur hur)
- Secret Wars (Even with all the delays, shit was amazing. Punisher panel in the first issue is one of the greatest things ever)
- Ms. Marvel (Sweet, fun, geeky and Kamala quickly became one of my favourite heroes in the Marvel universe)
- Thors (A great copdrama with hammers)

You really do.

Best Books Ive read this year were Hickmanns FF and GMs Batman & Robin

Yeah, I read Morrison's Batman and Robin for the first time this year and that was up there. I also sped through Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers this year so I could start Secret Wars and it's been really enjoyable.

Although it's only been four issues, Archie's been a lot of fun, despite not having read any Archie comics before.

The Star Wars comics this year have ranged from ok to great as well. My picks of the bunch would be Star Wars, Vader and Lando. Kanan's been a lot better than I expected too.

13. Giant Days (John Allison, Lissa Treiman) - BOOM
This book is the epitome of hijinks. I don’t say that lightly, either. Having read so many other comedy books this year, I can honestly say, this one gets at least one hearty, minute-long laugh from me every issue. It’s because it really captures the spirit of being a college student and John Allison puts it down onto the page in true-to-life fashion. This is slice of life in its purest form, and because of that, it is absolutely hysterical. The characters are all those you can relate to and see parts of yourself in, and I think that’s what really makes this work as a comedy.

12. Donny Cates’ Dark Horse stuff
I’ve read 3 things from Cates this year - The Paybacks, Buzzkill, and The Ghost Fleet. Despite being a small pool of comics, each one has been a memorable experience for me. Cates shows a great deal in uniqueness in how he builds his worlds. More than that, Cates subverts expectations at nearly every corner, culminating in some of the most shocking and bizarre comics you’d ever read just based on plot progression. Couple that with him teaming up with some stellar artists, Cates is capable of producing some real gems. The Paybacks has, after only 3 issues, become one of the strongest ongoings on the shelves.

11. Armor Hunters event (Robert Venditti, various other creators) - Valiant
Not the only event on my list, but by far the most impressive. Take whatever you know about comic book events and chuck it out the window; this is the template every large-scale event should follow. The event consisted of 5 books: the main Armor Hunters book; X-O Manowar and Unity tie-ins; and two tie-in series created just for the event, Armor Hunters: Harbinger and Bloodshot. Each piece of this event came together to build something both epic and congruent within the stories of the characters. The individual series issues did not feel as though they were interjecting what came before it; instead, they felt like the main story of this solo books and provided some legitimate plot progression and characterization for each of the characters involved. If the character was part of the story, they had some development in some way. The Valiant universe was heavily affected by the events of Armor Hunters, and the effects could still be felt throughout all the books, even in the present titles. Besides which, it told a tense and compelling tale, one where the heroes were tested beyond any point they had been before - and the victory was bittersweet. If there’s anything that Valiant can nail, its events, and this was definitely their most ambitious attempt at that.

10. Ivar, Timewalker (Fred Van Lente, various) - Valiant
An extraordinary book that anyone that ever enjoyed timetraveling should read. The book mixes a very grounded look at fate and destiny with good ol’ fashioned hijinks. Fred Van Lente takes the concepts of timetravel explored across other mediums and makes it his own, making it even more complex and concreting the science of it even more. What’s more, he stirs the pot even more with two of the best characters in recent comics, as they try to defy time and become masters of their own destinies. Really, there’s just no reason not to love this book.

9. We Can Never Go Home (Matthew Rosenberg, Patrick Kindlon, Josh Hood) - Black Mask Studios
My favorite series of 2015 (starting and ending). I’m not sure what makes this series such an incredible read, to be honest. It could be it’s incredible art, with its quaint style and poignant color scheme. It could be that the story starts off as the dream of every comic book reading kid growing up, and turns into every adult’s worst nightmare. It could be its brutal, uncompromising nature and the dreadful feel it carries on for 5 whole issues. It could be because it feels real, even when you have people with superpowers running around. I have no idea how to pin it down in words, but this is a book I recommend everyone read. It really came out of nowhere and flattened me.

8. NEXTWAVE: Agents of Hate (Warren Ellis, Stuart Immonen) - Marvel
I love Warren Ellis’ dark humor I had been exposed to in other stories, but I had no idea the man could do outright humorous comics like this. This was not so much about developing characters or having a real plot; it was just good fun and one of the funniest comics I’ve ever read. There were whole stretches of pages where I just could not stop laughing - and if comics can’t just be about having fun, I just don’t know anymore.

7. Fear Agent (Rick Remender, Tony Moore) - Dark Horse
In 2015, I became a huge fan of Rick Remender. I read Deadly Class and Uncanny X-Force. However, the main reason why I’m a huge fan now is because of Fear Agent. This is such a weird comic, because it doesn’t feel like there’s really a direction to it. We know the motivations and goals of the characters, but how we get there is a completely unpredictable ride. This is simply one of the most creative comics ever inked. Really, I just can’t imagine a single way to make this comic better. It blended so many different concepts together so deftly, that by the end, I was left starstruck and unsure of where to go next. Absolutely incredible.

tim1138

This list is not limited to books that came out in 2015, or books I read for the first time in 2015, just stuff I enjoyed throughout the course of year and is presented in no particular order. So, without further adieu, my favorite comic series from this year:

Suicide Squad - John Ostrander, Kim Yale, and friends
The first and only Suicide Squad comic that is worth reading, no one since has quite understood what makes this run so classic. A deconstruction of the political climate of the time (terrorism, fall of the Soviet Union, etc), Ostrander and Yale crafted stories that were steeped in emotion and the interactions of the Squad. Yes, the members of the team were expendable, and would die on occasion, but it was never for shock value and it always had an immediate and direct impact on the rest of the group. This is the book that popularized Waller as the Wall (while she is an Ostrander creation, she was first introduced in Legends) and gave the world Barbara Gordon as Oracle. It has been an absolute treat to revisit this series over the course of the year

Blast Furnace: Recreational Thief - Ryan Browne (2015 Kickstarter edition)
Ryan Browne is one of my favorite creators in comics right now, I love the way his mind works and his sense of humor, his creator owned comics are a staple of my collection. Blast Furnace can best be described as an improv comic, Browne gave himself an hour a day to plot, write, and draw each page with absolutely no preplanning. This results in a story that goes off on all kinds tangents and has multiple flashbacks about the ridiculous characters that inhabit its world. Originally released for free online (like his other notable book, God Hates Astronauts), Blast Furnace had a previous Kickstarted edition a couple years back. With the cancellation of God Hates Astronauts, Browne revisited Blast Furnace and added six more issues and colored the whole story for a new Kickstarter project back in the fall. The new content is hilarious and the colored pages look great, mission accomplished.

We Can Never Go Home - Matthew Rosenberg, Patrick Kindlon, Joshua Hood
This book came out of nowhere for me and was a wonderful surprise. A story of love, alienation, and violence. We Can Never Go Home tells the story of Madison (a superpowered high school girl) and Duncan (a social outcast high school boy) in an extremely fucked up coming of age story. One of my favorite aspects of this book is how violence is used. The story by it’s nature is incredibly violent, and does not shy away from this, but at the same time there is no glorification of violence and it is never presented as an easy way out. Madison and Duncan’s actions directly impact their lives and their story and no deed goes unpunished (there is a wonderful essay from Matthew Rosenberg in the back of the trade about their intentions for the book and violence in society, I have no idea if it appears in the backmatter for issue 5 or not though). Brutal, punk rock, and perfectly executed, We Can Never Go Home went from a book I had honestly never even heard of to one of my favorites of not just this year, but any year, I cannot wait for it to return in 2016.

Umbrella Academy - Gerard Way, Gabriel Ba
I had heard nothing but good things about this and it had been on my to read list forever, and when I finally got around to checking it out over the summer, it did not disappoint. Extremely Morrisonian in it’s structure and narrative, Umbrella Academy is basically a creator owned take on Morrison’s Doom Patrol run. The story and the art are stunning (but when isn’t Gabriel Ba’s art?), with an extremely three dimensional cast of characters. There is a splash page in the second volume where we see Rumor use her powers that gives me chills thinking about it. Even with all of the acclaim I had heard about this book, I still wasn’t sure what to expect from the lead singer of My Chemical Romance, but needless to say I was not disappointed.

Doom Patrol - Arnold Drake, Bernard Premiani
I feel like I should use Tyrant’s siren gifs here, because it’s controversial opinion time! As good as Morrison’s Doom Patrol was (and we all know it’s great), I honestly prefer the original run from Drake and Premiani. The original Doom Patrol comic spun out of the old My Greatest Adventure series and was essentially the X-Men a few months before there was an even an X-Men comic. A wheelchair bound man (the Chief), rounds up a small team of misfits (Larry Trainor aka the Negative Man! Rita Farr aka Elasti-Girl! Cliff Steele the Robotman!) to use their powers for good and find acceptance from a society that fears them. As the series progressed Mento and Beast Boy cycled their way in and out of the book as the team went up against General Immortus, the Brotherhood of Evil, Gargaux, Animal-Vegetable-Mineral-Man, and other wacky villains before Drake killed off the entire team in the final issue. The original series is just pure Silver Age fun. It’s a shame that DC seems to have completely forgotten about it: it’s not on Comixology, and the only collections are the now super out of print DC Archives editions.

Midnighter - Steve Orlando, ACO, and friends
Smart, sexy, and violent, this is literally everything I could want from a Midnighter solo book (and yes I know there were previous solo titles, but none of them quite scratched that itch for me). Orlando has done a fantastic job of capturing the essence of Warren Ellis’ Midnighter from Stormwatch and the Authority and placing him in the current day DC universe, his constant flirting with Dick Grayson is especially on point. And using Multiplex as a foil for Midnighter is just pure genius, what better villain to throw at a man who has no qualms killing than a character who can make an endless supply of clones? The most recent issues have seen the introduction of
Prometheus
as the anti-Midnighter, and Orlando just absolutely crushed it. That character has never been used so well. There are probably “better” books coming from DC right now, but Midnighter is hands down my favorite and my most anticipated book from them each and every month.

Justice League - Geoff Johns, Jason Fabok
The first year or so of this book pretty uneven, but it really hit its stride during Forever Evil and then the Amazo Virus arc when Jason Fabok took over on art duties (a book like Justice League is never going to have non traditional art, so for that style Fabok is as good as it gets). Things ramped up extraordinarly this year with the Darkseid War arc, which introduced the daughter of Darkseid and has seen
the Anti-Monitor kill Darkseid
, and the Leaguers take on new powers (including Bat-God). The team is delivering on the promise of each issue feeling like an event, while it keeping it relatively self contained.

The Flash - John Broome and Carmine Infantino
If DC is not going to publish a good Flash comic, and let’s be honest, they haven’t regularly published a good Flash comic since before the New52 started, than I will happily read Silver Age Flash comics to get my fix. It’s great to go back and see the origins of Flash’s Rogues (especially the Top, that might be my all time favorite villain origin story ever), and enjoy the usually slick story telling and art (Infantino is one of my favorite artists of any era). Even something like the Flash of Two Worlds issue, which has taken on this almost sancrosanct status, is pure Silver Age fun without a hint of irony. The only hangup I have with these old Flash comics are the backup stories,
the Elongated Man ones are ok (which is saying a lot, as I have never been a fan of Ralph Dibny), but good god, the Kid Flash stories are just awful. Looking back at the early days of Wally West, it amazes me he stuck around and became such an integral part of the Flash mythos.

Bitch Planet - Kelly Sue DeConnick, Val De Landro, and friends
A send up of the old female exploitation/women in jail movies tropes, Bitch Planet is a powerful story of empowerment, non compliance, and being happy living in your own skin. Any woman deemed non compliant for any reason is shipped off to a prison planet, colloquially known as Bitch Planet, where they are exploited, abused, and used all in the name of being reformed. It’s sad how relevant this comic is, which makes it all the more important and something that deserves every sale it gets. The Penny Rolle issue in particular is just fantastic, and is easily my favorite issue to date.The publishing schedule has been a bit erratic, but starting with the second arc they are going with the Saga model of doing an arc, releasing the trade, and taking a month off to keep it from getting further behind.

Prince of Cats - Ronald Wimberly
An amazing retelling of Romeo and Juliet filtered through the lens of hip hop culture, urban slang, and samurai movies told from the perspective of Tybalt (the Prince of Cats). Wimberly is nothing short of amazing here both on writing (mixing the aforementioned slang into Shakespearean verse) and the art. It’s a damn shame that Wimberly isn’t more well known, because hs is absolutely amazing. Do whatever it takes to find a copy of Prince of Cats and read it, this book should be experienced by everyone.

Honorable mentions:

Art Ops
Bombshells
Captain Marvel
God Hates Astronauts
Justice League 3001
Legend of Wonder Woman
The Manhattan Projects: The Sun Beyond the Stars
Multiversity
Nameless
ODY-C
The Omega Men
Silver Surfer
Twilight Children
Vision
Zero

@Tim
The world needs a little more Prince of Cats love

So fucking stylish
tCPZRq3.jpg

We Can Never Go Home #3

Yes all aboard the Zero bandwagon

Im gonna have to read We Can Never Go Home from all the praise it gets here

shingi70

Banned
My tentative top 10 in no particular order

Justice League
Death Vigil
The Valiant
Giant Days
Batgirl
New Avengers
Multiversity Pax Americana
Inhuman
Archie
Darth Vadar
Tomb of Dracula

Early thoughts top 10:

The Omega Men
Martian Manhunter
Grant Morrison's Entire Batman Run (probably cheating)
Morrison's JLA
Morrison's Doom Patrol
Seven Soldiers of Victory
Ostrander's Suicide Squad
Gotham Central
The Vision
Robin War

Kinda sorta cheating on a couple of those. Will probably do a writeup with some more detail and maybe an order unless I don't.

Messi

Woah, Tim you liked Captain Marvel? Sometimes I feel like I am alone in loving Kelly Sue's run. Glad to see it is getting the 12 issue trade treatment next year.

bCOSeAm.png

6. Preacher (Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon) - Vertigo
I am not a fan of overly obscene comics. I had avoided Garth Ennis for a good deal of time, not entirely by choice. But when I finally got my hands on this comic… well, to be honest, I found it underwhelming. There was a lot of praise built around this comic, and at first, I couldn’t really understand why. Until it clicked. The whole story was being told in this tongue in cheek way, where the creator basically said to himself “I’m going to break every trope all at once”. And that’s exactly what he did. Despite not being an overtly funny series, Ennis sets out to make a series that you’re not altogether supposed to take seriously. Yet, there are moments of badassery and great dialogue, and characters that you actually want to read more about. I’m only about halfway through the series, but it’s been one hell of a ride so far.

0UW1ew7.jpg

5. Harbinger (Joshua Dysart, various) - Valiant
What is perhaps the best ongoing series the recent Valiant has done, this series is about its characters more than anything. To center the story around a group of troubled teens, each with their own dash of unlikable characteristics, as they try to find their place in the world - I think Dysart deserves all the credit in the world for this. I would not say that any of the characters are completely likable, yet that’s what makes them feel real. Dysart starts off by saying “this is what’s wrong with these people”, then goes on to show us how they move forward and start to make better choices. What’s more, the plot is also centered around a villain whose intents we can understand all too well, as we can completely relate to his goals while begrudging his methods. Through a series of tense storybeats, we eventually reach what can be taken as a pseudo-finale, one that remains true to the characters even if it does not give us closure. An astounding series to take on its own.

zDeBYqO.jpg

4. Gotham Central (Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, Michael Lark) - DC
I was no stranger to Brubaker or Rucka when I began to read this. On paper, it sounds like it would be very droll and too tied into the superhero stuff that it would end up getting hung up on things. This was not so. GC sets out to do its own thing, and it does it spectacularly. Tying into the DC universe, as difficult as it may sound, absolutely works in this. Eventually, it branches out into its own thing, but as far as noir comics go, GC is as good as it gets. Every story beat feels authentic to both police procedurals and the universe in which it’s set. My only regret with this series is that I did not wait for an omnibus.

PJtAjGA.jpg

3. The Valiant (Matt Kindt, Jeff Lemire, Paolo Rivera) - Valiant (somewhat personal story attached at the beginning/my beginnings as a shill)
Many of the people here know me as the “Valiant guy”. I haven’t actually been reading Valiant all that long; I only started this year. The truth is, the label kind of brought me back into comics, and it was thanks in no small part to the members here. I was on a bit of a hiatus on comics, having been hurt very much by the sudden quitting of Williams III and Blackman from Batwoman in 2013. I didn’t quite right away, but it certainly slowed things down. I became very cynical about the industry and was basically just reading some older comics. While browsing GAF earlier this year, having not touched a comic in over half a year or so, I saw a post about this new film deal Valiant had made with Sony. I was perplexed, as I had never heard of them before. So, I came into comicGAF and made one of my first posts, saying that I had never read a Valiant comic and I’d like some recommendations. I got some (I think gketter and Birdie were the two responses I got). So, I dropped a few bucks on some trades: Harbinger, XO Manowar, Archer & Armstrong. Over the next few weeks, I read a few of them and shared my thoughts on them, but to my dismay, I found not many people actually read this label. I didn't think much of it at the time.
However, having heard a bit about this miniseries, I decided to pick it up when it released in trade form. Truthfully, I didn't even know what to expect - I didn't know much about Bloodshot, Eternal Warrior, or many of the other characters in this title other than those not directly related to the plot. I actually thought it was a team ongoing (like Unity is). I downed the book in a sitting and fell in love with the Valiant universe in its entirety. I thought, how could people be overlooking something like this? The incredible art, down to the exceptionally accurate facial expressions; the tragic fairytale-like nature of the story; and the deep characterization that made me relate with the characters at a very personal level, despite only knowing them for a little over a hundred pages. Quite simply, this title rocked my world and would affect the way I read comics going forward.
Hence, I became a shill.

VfBOrHj.jpg

2. Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison, Richard Case) - DC
Sometimes you have to stop and wonder, “how the hell did this comic get made?” Doom Patrol personifies that thought in its purest form. A zany, bizarre, and hilarious take on superhero comics that is, in a word, unforgettable. Crazy heroes facing even crazier villains; talking streets; entering paintings; flexing buildings into shapes. This is Morrison unleashed onto a blank canvas, and what he creates is a masterwork of oddities. I’m not sure what else to say that hasn’t been said about Doom Patrol already, but this is a comic everyone should have read by now.

pO0USQQ.gif

1. Planetary (Warren Ellis, John Cassaday) - Wildstorm/Vertigo
Quite possibly my favorite comic series of all time. If it’s not #1, it’s damn close. I can’t imagine how it felt having to wait for this series to come out across a decade. However, in its collected form, this series is almost perfect. First, the characters really hold this series together. Elijah Snow, Jakita Wagner, and the Drummer - all excellent misfits with their own distinct personalities. They may not be wholly likable, but they are flawed in ways that we can empathize with. Besides which, their powers are unconventional (well, maybe not Jakita’s), giving us a very interesting direction whereby the heroes have to use intelligence more than just their own powers. Next, there’s the world-building. This is very much an alternate scenario deal where Ellis plays off of existing heroes across other universes - the Fantastic Four, Doc Savage, Justice League - and proceeds to deconstruct them. I think the way Ellis builds on existing comic lore, while making it his own, is absolutely masterful. There will never be another comic quite like this, despite many creators taking to creating very similar alternate universes which play on established characters. Also, the Batman crossover was one of the best single issues ever.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Justice League - Geoff Johns, Jason Fabok
The first year or so of this book pretty uneven, but it really hit its stride during Forever Evil and then the Amazo Virus arc when Jason Fabok took over on art duties (a book like Justice League is never going to have non traditional art, so for that style Fabok is as good as it gets). Things ramped up extraordinarly this year with the Darkseid War arc, which introduced the daughter of Darkseid and has seen
the Anti-Monitor kill Darkseid
, and the Leaguers take on new powers (including Bat-God). The team is delivering on the promise of each issue feeling like an event, while it keeping it relatively self contained.

I want to continue reading JL N52 (reading the first 2 trades) but I don't want it to spoil Wonder Woman.

Should I read Azzerello's WW N52 before continuing on to trade 3?

I want to continue reading JL N52 (reading the first 2 trades) but I don't want it to spoil Wonder Woman.

Hmm, first two trades... yeah, you'd get hit with some spoilers. Nothing major, IMO, but they'd be there.

tim1138

I don't remember there being any Wonder Woman spoilers in JL. Honestly both of those books are pretty self contained and do their thing while ignoring most of what's going on in the rest of the DCU.

I don't remember there being any Wonder Woman spoilers in JL. Honestly both of those books are pretty self contained and do their thing while ignoring most of what's going on in the rest of the DCU.

There's a few mentions about Wondy being
the new God of War.

Mudcrab

RE Lunchpod: That Planetary/Batman cross over isn't just one the best single issues but one of the best Batman stories ever. Ellis cuts to the core of why Batman is in just a few pages.
Bat-apologies

Just wanted to thank Launchpad and Tim for posting those 2015 favorite Comic lists. I am definitely picking up We Can Never Go Home now, and I might even dip my toes into Justice League and some Valiant (I've only read the first volume of Archer and Armstrong when it comes to Valiant. It was nice, but didn't grab me. Ivar sounds good, and so does Armor Hunters.) Prince of Cats also sounds like something to check out.

Oh is there? It's been so long since I've read those early issues of JL.
There's also an equally good chance I had checked out on WW by then, I found that run incredibly boring.

I know there's one or two in Darkseid War, which made me cock my eyebrow (I only read past the second trade of WW last week myself), but it's really a super minor thing.

It's not a plot point, just something that crops up in the occasional speech bubble.

Decided to cut my pull list by about 50% recently, really only focusing on picking up the series I really, really care about. While it sucks to not pick up stuff that looks super interesting, my limited free time means I can't read everything. Even when I was reading 10-15 comics a week, by the time a new issue of a favorite series came out I was thoroughly confused because of the volume of comics I had read in between issues.

Anyone else find that reading fewer comics is actually more enjoyable?

Man, Head Lopper continues to be the most worthwhile $5.99 comic on the shelves today.

You want adventure? This comic IS ADVENTURE.

I couldn't agree with this more. Head Lopper is so good. I also highly recommend reading Andrew MacLean's other great book ApocalyptiGirl: An Aria for the End Times. The art and atmosphere are killer.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Man I know I'm basically acting like a child, but I hate new Spider-Man and its stupid "gone global" theme and the Spider-Car and Spider-Jet and whatever the fuck. I'm sure tons of people will assure me "how much more fun" it is in some comparison but oh god how I hate everything Spider-Man now.

Here's hoping the rest of the new MU is at least better than that.

tim1138

Woah, Tim you liked Captain Marvel? Sometimes I feel like I am alone in loving Kelly Sue's run. Glad to see it is getting the 12 issue trade treatment next year.

Yep, I've been reading it since her first series started in 2012 and up through the Secret Wars book. It scratched my Green Lantern itch when that book went to shit.

Just wanted to thank Launchpad and Tim for posting those 2015 favorite Comic lists. I am definitely picking up We Can Never Go Home now, and I might even dip my toes into Justice League and some Valiant (I've only read the first volume of Archer and Armstrong when it comes to Valiant. It was nice, but didn't grab me. Ivar sounds good, and so does Armor Hunters.) Prince of Cats also sounds like something to check out.

No problem man, always happy to pass along recommendations of good books.

And I'm not going to quote all of Launchpad, but Planetary is basically the best comic ever.

Man I know I'm basically acting like a child, but I hate new Spider-Man and its stupid "gone global" theme and the Spider-Car and Spider-Jet and whatever the fuck. I'm sure tons of people will assure me "how much more fun" it is in some comparison but oh god how I hate everything Spider-Man now.

Here's hoping the rest of the new MU is at least better than that.
At least there's another Spider-Man comic that's more "traditional" too.

Top Bottom