• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Messi

Man I know I'm basically acting like a child, but I hate new Spider-Man and its stupid "gone global" theme and the Spider-Car and Spider-Jet and whatever the fuck. I'm sure tons of people will assure me "how much more fun" it is in some comparison but oh god how I hate everything Spider-Man now.

Here's hoping the rest of the new MU is at least better than that.

The other shoe is gonna fall on Parker any day now. Just you wait.

Just wanted to thank Launchpad and Tim for posting those 2015 favorite Comic lists. I am definitely picking up We Can Never Go Home now, and I might even dip my toes into Justice League and some Valiant (I've only read the first volume of Archer and Armstrong when it comes to Valiant. It was nice, but didn't grab me. Ivar sounds good, and so does Armor Hunters.) Prince of Cats also sounds like something to check out.

From what I've seen from people that got into Valiant, it's just a matter of finding the one title that clicks with a person. The Valiant was that for me, but it has been different for different people.

But yeah, WCNGH. That $10 trade is one of the best experiences in comics.

Damn missed out on the issues after #1 :X

It's a quarterly comic, so you didn't miss out on much (or anything, really)
Yeah, #2 came out this week. I'm really liking the quarterly format; the length of time between issues makes you go "oh sweet, new Head Lopper!" like it's a surprise when a new one comes out, but there's so much content in each issue that you feel full of comic when you're done reading it.

diaspora

Man I know I'm basically acting like a child, but I hate new Spider-Man and its stupid "gone global" theme and the Spider-Car and Spider-Jet and whatever the fuck. I'm sure tons of people will assure me "how much more fun" it is in some comparison but oh god how I hate everything Spider-Man now.

Here's hoping the rest of the new MU is at least better than that.

New spider-man >>>> traditional spider-man

The traditional May/MJ/Bugle/poor spider-man shtick is just tired as fuck at this point.

USE PARKER INDUSTRIES TO BRING BACK MOON KNIGHT MARVEL, I DON'T CARE HOW.

Cant wait for when he moves in at Aunt Mays house again

In Boston?

Deviations – Chris Ryall Discusses Departing from the Norm

What series will be involved?

The series, and the catalyst for the stories, are:

Ghostbusters: “In a world… where the Ghostbusters NEVER crossed streams!”
G.I. JOE: “In a world… where COBRA turns the tables on G.I. JOE.”
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: “In a world… where Shredder leads the Turtles.”
Transformers: “In a world… where Optimus Prime never died!”
The X-Files: “In a world… where young Fox Mulder was abducted by aliens!”

Damn you, IDW. I'm getting all of these. I love What If? stories, even when they're bad. Actually, especially when they're bad.

I'm hype for the Transformers one especially, going all the way back to The Transformers: The Movie.

Two if you count the miles book.

I don't know why but I can't get hip too Tim Drake.

He's not really my favorite Robin either. I was one of the New 52 converts, and none of the older stuff I've read has really centered around him (except for some Teen Titans stuff, which is... not very good).

Savitar

One good comic that I'm sure that people would enjoy here is called Birthright. Imagine a father stopping at a park with his kid playing ball, then the kid vanishes as he's talking on the phone with his wife. People try to find the kid and of course the father is accused of killing the kid. It destroys the family, he becomes a drunk who is still accused of having done the deed but there is no proof, his ex wife thinks he did it. The one other son still around has to deal with all this. Then one day, hey something happened, there's this strange man the cops have found that might have something to do with it all, he has the sons back pack and other items on him.

The man is the son. It's only been a year but he's got a beard and is tough as hell, what's more he tells the investigators he got trapped in another land, one where he was the chosen hero prophesied to save the world and now he's back because he wanted to see his family. But is it the full truth?

Its good stuff and vaguely reminds me of Saga in another way. If that's sci fi this one is fantasy based, only without all the nudity and sex.

Boogiepop

Eh, screw it. Was away from the internet for a week, and everyone in here talks so much. Just not willing to read like 30 pages of discussion to properly catch up.

Anything exciting happen in the world of comics during that timeframe?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Eh, screw it. Was away from the internet for a week, and everyone in here talks so much. Just not willing to read like 30 pages of discussion to properly catch up.

Bierdie left us and Marvel is reprinting Great Lake Avengers.

Robin War is proving to be p. good.

So is Batman/TMNT.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
So apparently Comixology was improperly charging me for tax on Marvel comics for the last half year. Instead of just sending a single email with how much I am getting refunded, they sent individual emails for each comic. I really don't need a 100+ emails telling me that I have been refunded between 1 to 4 cents.

New Catwoman team was painfully average. That my problem with a bunch of comics lately is everything has been average for the most part. Cape books can't make up their mind in which direction they want to go. I'm starting to think the days of getting epic runs like Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Planetary are over. Indie books have been deluded by their quality if that makes sense. So many fucking great books, you can't read them all. Then you drop something that you liked but maybe just didn't stand out or you thought it was slow moving and you try a new book and it starts off strong and you get excited. Then that book eventually falls to the same fate and I'm experiencing all these stories but never getting a resolution. I understand this is more of a problem with me and not the industry itself but I find my excitement for this hobby dwindling because of it.

My 2015 standouts

Tom King books. Dude is a comic superstar to me and is on his way on becoming a great like Morrison, Moore, Ellis, etc.

Snyders Batman. Always enjoyable. Love that Joker.

Star Wars books. See my rant above? These are great fun because they are filling holes by stories that I know and love.

Deadly Class. The only Image book that has not once....not once I swear, ever fell into average territory for even a single issue.

Justice League. Been on fire since FE ended.

Animal Man omnibus. Seems to be the birth place of some of Morrisons universal themes across all his books.

Messi

New Catwoman team was painfully average. That my problem with a bunch of comics lately is everything has been average for the most part. Cape books can't make up their mind in which direction they want to go. I'm starting to think the days of getting epic runs like Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Planetary are over. Indie books have been deluded by their quality if that makes sense. So many fucking great books, you can't read them all. Then you drop something that you liked but maybe just didn't stand out or you thought it was slow moving and you try a new book and it starts off strong and you get excited. Then that book eventually falls to the same fate and I'm experiencing all these stories but never getting a resolution. I understand this is more of a problem with me and not the industry itself but I find my excitement for this hobby dwindling because of it.

My 2015 standouts

Tom King books. Dude is a comic superstar to me and is on his way on becoming a great like Morrison, Moore, Ellis, etc.

Star Wars books. See my rant above? These are great fun because they are filling holes by stories that I know and love.

Deadly Class. The only Image book that has not once....not once I swear, ever fell into average territory for even a single issue.

Animal Man omnibus. Seems to be the birth place of some of Morrisons universal themes across all his books.

Legendary runs don't come along yearly, but we just got to the end of Daredevil and I feel like that run can easily sit there with the best runs out there. Snyder is crafting what will likely go down as a legendary run on Batman.

My 2015 standouts

It actually doesn't or I'm just not sure what you're saying lol

Also, that's not really fair to say. I think The Valiant was at that level, at least it was for me.

Legendary runs don't come along yearly, but we just got to the end of Daredevil and I feel like that run can easily sit there with the best runs out there. Snyder is crafting what will likely go down as a legendary run on Batman.
agreed, even just marvel side

Hickmans Avengers run can only be described as epic

you would probably have to pry Wilson with a crowbar to get her off Ms Marvel so we will likely get a 35-50 issue run from her

if book stores sales hold up i imagine we will have unbeatable squirrel girl for a long time

aaron is likely to stay on thor for a while longer. hes already been on the title 3 years i think

we have no reason to believe slott and allred will be off silver surfer any time soon

bendis's run on x-men just finished. between the two titles its like 70 issues right?

we still get long running titles that are well received critically. we just get more issues in a shorter time period.

nostalgia is such funny thing. there were so many average and forgettable comics at the same time we got those runs Korupt is talking about but we forget about them because they were really average and forgettable

It actually doesn't or I'm just not sure what you're saying lol

Also, that's not really fair to say. I think The Valiant was at that level, at least it was for me.

Kinda like drug use. Someone tries a drug and that first high is amazing to them. But nothing after that first great high can ever be matched ever again. So they try different types, different drugs and eventually it all bleeds together and it's all the mundane. Best way I can put it lol. Probably still doesn't make sense but to me, I am overwhelmed by the amount of books I want to experience vs continuing a book that gave me a good high but has never matched it.

Kinda like drug use. Someone tries a drug and that first high is amazing to them. But nothing after that first great high can ever be matched ever again. So they try different types, different drugs and eventually it all bleeds together and it's all the mundane. Best way I can put it lol. Probably still doesn't make sense but to me, I am overwhelmed by the amount of books I want to experience vs continuing a book that gave me a good high but has never matched it.

Oh ok, that makes sense

But wait, why does that only happen to you with indie books? :l

Messi

agreed, even just marvel side

Hickmans Avengers run can only be described as epic

you would probably have to pry Wilson with a crowbar to get her off Ms Marvel so we will likely get a 35-50 issue run from her

if book stores sales hold up i imagine we will have unbeatable squirrel girl for a long time

aaron is likely to stay on thor for a while longer. hes already been on the title 3 years i think

we have no reason to believe slott and allred will be off silver surfer any time soon

bendis's run on x-men just finished. between the two titles its like 70 issues right?

we still get long running titles that are well received critically. we just get more issues in a shorter time period.

nostalgia is such funny thing. there were so many average and forgettable comics at the same time we got those runs Korupt is talking about but we forget about them because they were really average and forgettable

77 issues between Uncanny and All New. Personally I think that run is absolutely incredible. But a lot of people wouldn't agree with me. Then again there are legendary runs that I don't enjoy, doesnt make them any lesser.

Btw I see on Wikipedia that Triage is listed as part of the new Uncanny team. When did that get announced?

Aaron can stay as long as he likes on Thor. I think he is fantastic. Long may Dauterman stay on that book too.

I'd be willing to throw Bendis Miles stuff on there as a great run.

Oh ok, that makes sense

But wait, why does that only happen to you with indie books? :l

Because cape books are all bundled as one drug (same story universe) where as indie books are more varied. I could get my weekly pull and first read is a horror book, next one hijinx, next fantasy......

We posting tops? Damn it. Read too many good books this year.
Ooh Bobby using ice constructs again?
Yup. Though it seems to be difficult for him. I suppose. He's not AoA Bobby, who just loves murdering people, so he embraced his powers for all the murdering people.

Got tanked by Kurt Darkholme, though:
nightcrawler-kills-iceman.jpg
Not as brutal as Blob's death, but still. Brutal enough.
I wish I were. Didn't see much to like in that trailer.
Same
Bierdie left us and Marvel is reprinting Great Lake Avengers.

And a lot of X-Men talk.

VanWinkle

Hey guys. Read The Goon Library Edition Vol. 1 over the last week and I loved it. It's was the funnest comic I ever read. Really made me feel better. Can't wait until the second volume comes out.

Speaking of fun comics, I'm reading the first volume of Lil Gotham. It's awesome. Wonderful art and delightful characterizations set in various holidays make every chapter a treat to read.

Messi

If one thing annoys me about image books is how many of those books clearly only have enough of a story for one volume and then they scramble to create stuff following the first arc. Its why so many people drop off after the first volume. How many of you have vol 1's on your shelf that you read and never continued? Sure part of it is the $10 price but there is also a lack of story going forward. There are so few books that can stay solid for 10-20-30 issues. Its part of what has been so impressive to me about Saga, Deadly Class, Chew ect.

shingi70

Banned
Forgot too put it on my top 10 list but I'd implore everyone here to read the March series by John lewis and Andrew Aydin. It's some of the best comics I've read this year. Gotta Cop the other Volumes sometime soon.
91xWIF1WklL.jpg

Finally! Done with work for the year. On holiday till the 7th!

Hey guys. Read The Goon Library Edition Vol. 1 over the last week and I loved it. It's was the funnest comic I ever read. Really made me feel better. Can't wait until the second volume comes out.

It is a brilliant comic. And the Library Edition is wonderful.

Tizoc

Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman run is being collected and getting new publication :3

TMNT Bats was eh, also both Sonic Universe and Megaman comics had their last issues (though Megaman is on hiatus until they announce that rumored Megaman cartoon methinks)

Top Bottom