• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

these Comics of the Year writeups are really cool, good job mates

maybe i'll do one if i can remember the last time i read something I actually really liked, and not just found completely okay

Are the animation here better than the stuff DC regulary does? I really hated them in The Dark Knight Rises

It's nothing mindblowing. It's a standard comic book style, so it's fine. It gets the point across. The strength of Young Justice is pretty much all plot and character.

Still stings it got cancelled. I would've bought the toys if they were sold here!

Here's hoping that upcoming Justice League Action is good.

the animation style? i don't think any of the new 52 movies have looked that good. i like young justice's art a lot more.

the dark knight returns is the best dc animated movie in years though imo.

I pretty much hate that most of the straight-to-DVD movies are all one style now. I liked the variance of the old model. Some of the styles were bad, but they were interesting at least. Now almost everything is a sea of blandness.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
If one thing annoys me about image books is how many of those books clearly only have enough of a story for one volume and then they scramble to create stuff following the first arc. Its why so many people drop off after the first volume. How many of you have vol 1's on your shelf that you read and never continued? Sure part of it is the $10 price but there is also a lack of story going forward. There are so few books that can stay solid for 10-20-30 issues. Its part of what has been so impressive to me about Saga, Deadly Class, Chew ect.

Can't say I've noticed that being much of a problem yet but most of the series I'm reading are still pretty early on. So we'll see how it goes.

If one thing annoys me about image books is how many of those books clearly only have enough of a story for one volume and then they scramble to create stuff following the first arc. Its why so many people drop off after the first volume. How many of you have vol 1's on your shelf that you read and never continued? Sure part of it is the $10 price but there is also a lack of story going forward. There are so few books that can stay solid for 10-20-30 issues. Its part of what has been so impressive to me about Saga, Deadly Class, Chew ect.

Can you give examples, Messi?

So awesome hearing y'alls year end lists! I hope to put something together, too, but I'm a little embarrassed by what I've been reading, tbh, ha.

How many of you have vol 1's on your shelf that you read and never continued?

Not many. I'm all 'bout dat DLX HC life.

Read that Star wars thread and Freeza your the best.

tumblr_ml7edax86t1s07289o3_500.gif

Interested in hearing specific comic gaf criticisms of the Apocalypse trailer? Looks good to me but I am not savvy on superhero movies nor the X-Men in general.

The way the singer movies have portrayed the x men is just something I'm not interested in, at their core. They push whoever singer wants to focus on the most (Wolverine for a bunch of movies, now Lawrence's dull portrayal of mystique) that everyone else becomes so uninteresting and expendable that every time the movie moves away from the favs it becomes a bore.

Growing up the X-Men were one of the most colorful, bombastic, and off the wall comic properties and yet the movies are still mired in this early 2000s SWAT aesthetic with stories that don't really do the franchise justice.

I think Singer puts a lot of care and craft into the x-men movies, but the vision just doesn't interest me anymore.

that's cool, on the other hand while it is only the small set of characters that he chooses to focus on I think it's the best characterization the genre has had aside from bruce in tdk trilogy and maguire in the first two spidermans.

mcavoy killed it in the last one. i love the melodrama in the singer xmen movies, would not trade it for anything. imo the marvel movies (and who knows, maybe the dc ones too, we'll see) sacrifice the brunt of the character drama to fit in a more safer 'crowd-pleasing' film. i like my soap opera dramatics mixed in with the action. and i think the leads are talented enough in the xmen movies to support that. always get some good scenery chewing from mcavoy/fassbender.

you never get a scene like the two xaviers in any of these other movies, people find it boring but man I want more of that.

the animation style? i don't think any of the new 52 movies have looked that good. i like young justice's art a lot more.

the dark knight returns is the best dc animated movie in years though imo.
Isn't YJ's art style going to be used in an upcoming Justice League show? Or at least rumored to be? I remember hearing that a couple months back.

Also I'd toss Justice League: Gods and Monsters up there. I really enjoyed that. I also really liked the comic they released for it as well.
Interested in hearing specific comic gaf criticisms of the Apocalypse trailer? Looks good to me but I am not savvy on superhero movies nor the X-Men in general.

I'm sure I'll be entertained by it a bit more than DoFP, since I won't left as bitter (Kitty got zero love, and Ellen Paige's casting for her is damn near perfect) by that. Considering I don't care much for Apocalypse.

However, based purely on the trailer, I don't like the aesthetics (no costumes unless you become a Horseman) and I'm not a fan of what they're apparently doing with the characters. Spoilers for anyone who may be on lockdown:
Cyclops is garbage and Mystique is the leader? Jean is Jean, but a child, but not O5 Jean, so the most bland of Jeans. Storm and Magneto are Horseman?
Ugh.

Granted, it's a trailer, and the X-movies are fine in their own right. X2 is a great Wolverine and the X-Men movie and FC is a good crack at how an X-movie should be done (bright and cheesy and badass and emotional all at once) despite the origin changes. It also doesn't help that I dislike Singer as a director. DoFP was love/hate for me, X2 was good, but X1 hasn't aged well and Superman Returns was soooooo boring.

Ultimately, we'll see. Basing everything on just a trailer and going so far into assumption land is not a good posture, but as of right now, I'm not feeling it. Then again, the X movies have never really had good trailers. I'm just tired of the same characters getting the spotlight, and they aren't even done in the most interesting way, save for Mags and Xavier, but even those characters are presented in a fairly shallow manner by comparison to the source material.

that's cool, on the other hand while it is only the small set of characters that he chooses to focus on I think it's the best characterization the genre has had aside from bruce in tdk trilogy and maguire in the first two spidermans.

mcavoy killed it in the last one. i love the melodrama in the singer xmen movies, would not trade it for anything. imo the marvel movies (and who knows, maybe the dc ones too, we'll see) sacrifice the brunt of the character drama to fit in a more safer 'crowd-pleasing' film. i like my soap opera dramatics mixed in with the action. and i think the leads are talented enough in the xmen movies to support that. always get some good scenery chewing from mcavoy/fassbender.

you never get a scene like the two xaviers in any of these other movies, people find it boring but man I want more of that.
My man disco

Comics pick-ups this week

ISSUES

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1
The Ultimates #2
Secret Wars #8 (+ action figure variant)
Spider-Gwen #3

TRADES
The Justice Society of America Omnibus Vol. 1
Robin Vol. 1: Reborn
The Flash by Geoff Johns Vol. 1
Earth 2: World's End Vol. 1

I think Singer does drama well, but as an X-Men fan (I think) I'm not particularly a fan of his adaptions. I think the most apt description I can put to how I feel is that "it's like all he does is read a Wikipedia article and go from there." So I don't like many of the characters as a result, despite most of the actors having been cast really well. The interactions are fine, for the most part, but I don't like him visually, as a director adapting the source material, nor most of his action sequences. Quicksilver, the White House, and the X-Mansion were all great, and I have a soft spot for Mystique taking out everyone at the entrance to Stryker's base, but everything else is boring.

I dunno. I feel like my opinion comes off as uneducated, but the baseline is that I'm not a fan of Singer all that much. I would have loved to see more of Vaughn's work, though. I felt like he was going to good places.
forreal gods and monsters made me really miss bruce timm, what the hell is that guy up to.

Comics, maybe? Another cartoon, hopefully?

Messi

Batman v Supermans variants coming in march.

these are the polybag covers
SUPERMAN_50_polybag_5669e236d8d291.96713835.jpg
BM_50_polybag_5669e233af1248.27788356.jpg

BATMAN #50 - Polybagged variant cover by JIM LEE
DETECTIVE COMICS #50 - Polybagged variant cover by RAFAEL GRAMPA
BATGIRL #50 - Polybagged variant cover by KEVIN NOWLAN
GRAYSON #18 - Polybagged variant cover by STEPHEN PLATT
ROBIN: SON OF BATMAN #10 - Polybagged variant cover by RYAN OTTLEY
BATMAN/SUPERMAN #30 - Polybagged variant cover by TONY MOORE
SUPERMAN #50 - Polybagged variant cover by KAARE ANDREWS
ACTION COMICS #50 - Polybagged variant cover by MARTIN ANSIN
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #27 - Polybagged variant cover by CHARLIE ADLARD