• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Man I've been in this mode of wanting to do all sorts of things but also not wanting to do anything. I'm in some odd limbo.

But I did read some of the street fighter comics I got from last weeks sale. They're not great and get fan servicey at times, but it's still fun to read. SF has always been the one fighting game universe that I really cared about the characters and story.

VanWinkle

Hawkman Omnibus has the tightest binding evvvvverrrr. Man it makes me sad. Actually the Runaways Vol. 1 OHC I have is maybe a little bit tighter. Neither of them open very well even when they're open to the CENTER.

Messi

Hawkman Omnibus has the tightest binding evvvvverrrr. Man it makes me sad. Actually the Runaways Vol. 1 OHC I have is maybe a little bit tighter. Neither of them open very well even when they're open to the CENTER.

The tightness is perfect on my digital comics :p

Sorry

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1: I liked it. Art was good, so it carried the action well. I like the premise, of course it's the same premise as pretty much every company crossover. But I like it. Some good dialogue, too. Will remain excited for future issues. I like everyone's designs, too.

Secret Wars #8: THE HYPEST SHIT. HOLY-THERE WAS THE THING- AND THEN THERE WAS THE-AND THEN THE-BUT THEN KABLOOOIE AND BOOM AND RRRRRARGH

I liked it a lot.

The Ultimates #2 I don't know where this book is going, but I like it. Carol's just there, though. Pilot and battery, apparently.

VanWinkle

The tightness is perfect on my digital comics :p

Sorry

Hehe. My shelf of digital comics is a lot less nice looking than my shelf of physical books, though. ;)

I'm warming up to digital, but it's still a last resort to me. I figure I'd read more on it if my screen was like 10+ inches, but I still prefer physical books. When I finish a collected edition on my tablet, I just delete it and make room for more stuff and I forget about it. With my physical collection, I often will grab them again and look through and reminisce or something. They're there to remind me I still own them. I don't know. That's not important to a lot of people, though. Basically, my digital collection feels less like an actual "collection" than my physical books, and I've always been a lite collector. I've always like having collections of games, movies, books, etc.

Weirdly, though, with normal written novels I prefer ebooks. That's mainly because I find more positives for reading on my Kindle Paperwhite than I do reading a physical novel. I don't feel like the Kindle is a step down in the reading experience over a physical book, but I DO feel a tablet is mostly a step down in reading experience over a physical comic book.

Owzers

The Ultimates #1 was dangerously close to getting on my bad side with all that early atom bonding talk but eventually i started to enjoy it when it opened up. Random 5/10 for eh.

I want to watch that new Adam Sandler Netflix movie before the WWE event sunday, that way the event will look better by comparison.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Gotta say I'm really starting to look forward to Cry Havoc by Simon Spurrier and Ryan Kelly.

This is not the tale of a lesbian werewolf who goes to war. Except it kind of is.

Preview

Nerdist Interview with Spurrier.

The other thing worth mentioning here is that we’re trying something unique with the storytelling. We’ve taken the three sections of the character’s story–the beginning in London, the middle in Afghanistan, and the end in… a mysterious location I can’t say much about–and we’re playing them side-by-side rather than consecutively. In other words, we transition between the phases of the protagonist’s life in a very unusual way, letting them strike sparks off one another and juxtapose.

To make the most of this mechanism, we’ve got a different superstar colorist working on each section of the story: Nick Filardi, Lee Loughride, and Matt Wilson. The effect–which is totally unprecedented, so far as we know–is incredible. It really helps differentiate the three parallel time zones, and it shows off just how profoundly the colorists’ art impacts the finished article.

frye

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
it's list season so here are some lists from websites that non-comics people actually go to!!

AV Club graphic novels/collections/one-shots
AV Club serials
Slate
Paste
Salon
Vox??

the Salon article is super terrible and the Vox one is just kind of baffling to be honest. The Slate list with the exception of the AdHouse stuff seems to be proper booky books that you'd find in a bookshelf.

Probably the most interesting because it's a sampling from a ton of different cartoonists/critics

The Vox list was my favorite.

it's list season so here are some lists from websites that non-comics people actually go to!!

AV Club serials
Slate
Paste
Salon
Vox??

the Salon article is super terrible and the Vox one is just kind of baffling to be honest. The Slate list with the exception of the AdHouse stuff seems to be proper booky books that you'd find in a bookshelf.

Probably the most interesting because it's a sampling from a ton of different cartoonists/critics

I'm assuming the Salon article is the Mark Peters one?

AV Club serials
Slate
Paste
Salon
Vox??

thx frye i saw the vox one earlier and I can't imagine the people who put it together read many comics. huck, with a total of one issue in 2015, made it...

loser city has a great 100 best comics from the last 5 years youd love

Messi

Huck making the list made me laugh.

Edit : not that there was anything wrong with huck or say Monstress but they were only 1 issue

Caught up on Low. Soooo good. Still my favorite Remender book going.

Things are always about to go off the rails but they're still making headway. Can't wait for more.

kmfdmpig

AV Club serials
Slate
Paste
Salon
Vox??

The Salon writer sounds pretty extreme when writing this:
"In terms of sales and creativity, the past few years have been bleak for DC. Scott Snyder’s dreary, pretentious, overwritten Batman (no matter who wears the cowl) is horrific for anyone who’s read comics for more than a week, and most of the line (aside from bright spots like “Harley Quinn” and “Black Canary”) is depressing to longtime fans of the company that invented superheroes"

Tizoc

You know what just trying to write about my top 10 comic series of the year is fucking tough, I just can't describe WHY exactly I liked so and so series *shrugs*

Owzers

You know what just trying to write about my top 10 comic series of the year is fucking tough, I just can't describe WHY exactly I liked so and so series *shrugs*

give them all random comments. I'm going to make a list and check it twice.

Read all of We Can Never Go Home last night and it was pretty entertaining. Nothing more to add that hasn't already been said in here but definitely not dull in any way.

Messi

That Black Science Hardcover is massive

Is there a picture going around

"In terms of sales and creativity, the past few years have been bleak for DC. Scott Snyder’s dreary, pretentious, overwritten Batman (no matter who wears the cowl) is horrific for anyone who’s read comics for more than a week, and most of the line (aside from bright spots like “Harley Quinn” and “Black Canary”) is depressing to longtime fans of the company that invented superheroes"

1249.gif

Batman is great as are Harley and Canary.

Tizoc

give them all random comments. I'm going to make a list and check it twice.

Eh thing is one comic may get a page's worth of text on why I like it and others would get...simple stuff about them.
let me try it out though

10- Darth Vader & Star Wars
Good writing, good characterization for the most part, art gets the job done. Entertaining books overall.

9- Howard the Duck
Surprise hit for me, had a lot of humorous moments and while it wasn't as absurd as Howard's previous adventures it was entertaining.

8- Southern Bastards
For te most part I find Jason Aaron's recent non-cape books a lot better than his Marvel or DC output. Being from the South himself, Aaron put off writing this book for quite some time til he started it in 2014, and this grim gritty and thrilling book just leaves the reader wondering what's going to happen next.

That's 3 down, if the format's good I'll do 3 more later.

I want a CMX sale badly but I think it might be an Archie deal where that hardly ever happens

They basically just got on CMX in August. I'm not sure, but I think they'll do one eventually. I'd like to pick up more of their stuff, since they're going for this shared universe thing and from what I've heard, it's pretty much all great stuff.

Thanks for compiling those best of lists, Frye. Lotta exciting titles listed there.

At this point is would be much easier for me to write a Top Ten Titles I Want to Kick Myself for Not Having Read Yet list.

VanWinkle

Wow, that Salon article is horrible. "Snyder's dreary, pretentious, overwritten Batman is horrific for anyone who reads comics for over a week." Okay bud, okay.

Huck making the list made me laugh.

Edit : not that there was anything wrong with huck or say Monstress but they were only 1 issue

Yeah, that's just ridiculous.

From Salon's list:
Marvel’s latest branding initiative — All-new! All-different! — has mostly been the same old crap.

Invincible Iron Man? Doctor Strange? Ms Marvel? Cap? Even Spider-Man's improved. I haven't been reading everything but I wouldn't say it's mostly crap.

OK... let's do this

CV5ip_UWwAAkHtm.jpg

I had this upstairs for so long and forgot all about it. I don't like that I've been distracted from reading old timer Marvel though!

Messi

I was curious as to how my digital habits have grown since I started buying on comixology vs physical books. Its odd to see how much it has grown until recently where I have started trying to wishlist stuff and wait for discounts on stuff I am not caught up on.

Also...June and July wtf. lol.

March 14: 93
April 14: 59
May 14: 113
June 14: 128
July 14: 179
August 14: 52
September 14: 64
October 14: 58
November 14: 48
December 14: 54

January 15: 65
February 15: 67
March 15: 76
April 15: 79
May 15: 134
June 15: 152
July 15: 113
August: 109
September 15: 49 (this is where I lost my job and couldnt afford my books for a bit :( )
October 15: 79
November 15: 82
December 15: 33 (so far)

You want one? Will make one ASAP I am home

Wait, its out??

I would like to read this list.

I just jotted down a list of 10. Maybe I'll post it later with a brief why-for. Thanks for the encouragement.

OK... let's do this

CV5ip_UWwAAkHtm.jpg

I had this upstairs for so long and forgot all about it. I don't like that I've been distracted from reading old timer Marvel though!

You've been reading some of my favorite comics in the meantime, so I can't fault you, but I also miss your write ups about the old stuff.

VanWinkle

I was curious as to how my digital habits have grown since I started buying on comixology vs physical books. Its odd to see how much it has grown until recently where I have started trying to wishlist stuff and wait for discounts on stuff I am not caught up on.

September 15: 49 (this is where I lost my job and couldnt afford my books for a bit :( )

Wait, its out??

Wait, am I reading this right. Did you buy 179 issues in July 2014

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Day one. I'll follow Spurrier anywhere. Anyone who has yet to read his minis Six-Gun Gorilla and Numbercruncher are missing out.

I've not read either one of those yet but I'll put them on my list.

I really did enjoy what he did with Elsa Bloodstone in Marvel Zombies though. That was one of my favorite Secret Wars tie-ins. On the flip side I did not like The Spire much at all. Dropped it after a few issues. Just too weird and hard to follow.

The fuck does "overwritten" mean?

Day one. I'll follow Spurrier anywhere. Anyone who has yet to read his minis Six-Gun Gorilla and Numbercruncher are missing out.

His X-Force run is godlike.

frye

i told you guys it was terrible!! (actually I do agree Snyder's Batman is overwritten)

thx frye i saw the vox one earlier and I can't imagine the people who put it together read many comics. huck, with a total of one issue in 2015, made it...

loser city has a great 100 best comics from the last 5 years youd love

I thought about putting the loser city list up there too but I didn't mainly because it didn't quite seem to fit with the others

To be honest, it's a weird one and not totally coherent because of how much it tries to do, and by the end I thought a lot of their top 20 choices were pretty jarring in a "you really think x is better than y tho?" kinda way (I know that reaction is the wrong one for any internet list, but still)

aside from placement and some notable absences, its manga choices tended to be decidedly last decade because it seems they allowed any long-running series with volumes published in the last 5 years to be included, which is a really odd choice

Wait, its out??
How did you track this? I'm curious of mine but I know with the mega sales I dove into it'd be pretty embarrassing

Messi

How did you track this? I'm curious of mine but I know with the mega sales I dove into it'd be pretty embarrassing

On ipad I went into comixology, sort purchases by purchase date, should bring up a split page with months and book amounts on the left side and download list on the right.

Top Bottom