• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

On ipad I went into comixology, sort purchases by purchase date, should bring up a split page with months and book amounts on the left side and download list on the right.
Ah cool
*looks at library and sees the DC November sale*

haha yea I'm not posting that info here

Edit: oh wow this year has been crazy looking through my list. Huh

Messi

The Premiere Hardcover?

This

BLACK SCIENCE PREMIERE HC BEGINNERS GUIDE TO ENTROPY (MR)
STK684076.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
On ipad I went into comixology, sort purchases by purchase date, should bring up a split page with months and book amounts on the left side and download list on the right.

Mine......

June 222 books
July 125 books
August 122 books
September 89 books
October 75 books
November 94 books
December 16 books

VanWinkle

Damn that big for 16 issues? Might double dip

I think he means that big length-and-height-wise. It's not even close to as thick, of course. Edit: Although maybe that's what you were talking about, too, lol, but I assumed otherwise since you mentioned the issue count.

TheFlow

Banned
Lol, that looks about average size for hardcover collections these days. I was thinking more of the line of usagi or Saga size. Looks more like Hawkeye size.

took a pic of my top shelf as a comparison of different size hc

diaspora

The thing with Carol Danvers is that she was most interesting as a standalone character when she was a total jackass in Civil War. I mean she can be otherwise fine in a team.

Messi

Dust covers keep our books safe and should always be included.

Coming from you I will take it. That made me laugh. But I hate dust covers. I take care of my books so they don't need covers. The saga hardcover is so lovely without one. I wish Sex Crims didn't have one.

Messi

LIST OF I DONT KNOW WHATS COMING OUT THIS WEEK SO I HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG THIS LIST WILL BE:

Batgirl #46
Batman & Robin Eternal #11
Batman Europa #2
Clean Room #3
Harley Quinn #23
Lucifer #1
Martian Manhunter #7
Secret Six #9
Superman American Alien #2
We are Robin #7

Jem and the Holograms Holiday Special

Beauty #5
Huck #2
I hate Fairyland #3
Southern Cross #6
Tales of Honor Bred to kill #4
Tokyo Ghost #4
Wicked and the Divine #17

All New Inhumans #2
All New X-Men #2
Deadpool #3.1
Illumanati #2
Mighty Thor #2
Ms Marvel #2
Silk #2
Squadron Supreme #1
Ultimate End #5
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3
Uncanny Inhumans #3
Web Warriors #2
Weirdworld #1

Catwoman Vol 4 The one you love

Here was me hoping for a cheap week to catch up on some old books

tumblr_inline_movw1nQtpR1qz4rgp.gif

Last List before the Force Awakens:

Marvel:
The Mighty Thor #2
Ms. Marvel #2
Silk #2
Starbrand & Nightmask #1
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3
Web Warriors #2

DC:
None!

Others:
Jem & The Holograms Holiday Special (IDW)
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy #1 of 5 (IDW)
Huck #2 (Image)
Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl #5 of 6 (Image)
Ivar, Timewalker #12 (Valiant)
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #2 (Valiant)

Like you its a little bit bigger than ordinary OHCs, as big as Big Damn Sin City.
And no Dust Jacket.

Sorry when the pics are shit, I am a little bit drunk.

Lol, that looks about average size for hardcover collections these days. I was thinking more of the line of usagi or Saga size. Looks more like Hawkeye size.

took a pic of my top shelf as a comparison of different size hc

This thread is too damn dangerous to my wallet, especially seeing that big Sin City collection and the Hellboy volumes. Those are both stories I've been interested in after seeing the movies. Do they cover everything I'd need to read before branching out?

List.

My BuyList via Comics Day App
BATGIRL #46 $2.99
HARLEY QUINN #23 $3.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE #46 $3.99
SUPERMAN AMERICAN ALIEN #2 $3.99
WE ARE ROBIN #7 (ROBIN WAR) $3.99
BEAUTY #5 CVR A HAUN (MR) $3.50
DESCENDER #8 $2.99
TOKYO GHOST #4 $3.99
WAYWARD #12 $3.50
DARTH VADER ANNUAL #1 $4.99

LIST OF I DONT KNOW WHATS COMING OUT THIS WEEK SO I HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG THIS LIST WILL BE:

My God, Messi going broke this week. If the Diamond list for next week stays the same when they update tonight, I'm looking at:

Clean Room #3
Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw #8
Beauty #5
Huck #2
Invincible #126
Tokyo Ghost #4
Wicked + Divine #17
Ms. Marvel #2
All-New All-Evil Incredibly-Sinister Silk #2

This thread is too damn dangerous to my wallet, especially seeing that big Sin City collection and the Hellboy volumes. Those are both stories I've been interested in after seeing the movies. Do they cover everything I'd need to read before branching out?

Sin City has everything ever printed set in that universe, IIRC. You can also use it as a weapon to kill burglars.

There are six Hellboy Library Editions, they have 95% or so of all the main Hellboy stories ever printed. There's also the companion BPRD book, which may be even better. As far as trades, there's four books of BPRD: Plague of Frogs and then a 1946-1948 collection with three minis in one book. The current mega-arc is Hell on Earth, I don't think there's any big chunky collections of that yet, just ordinary trades. As someone who only read them a few months ago, they're incredible. They're not the movie, but they are just as good if not significantly better.

Sin City has everything ever printed set in that universe, IIRC. You can also use it as a weapon to kill burglars.

There are six Hellboy Library Editions, they have 95% or so of all the main Hellboy stories ever printed. There's also the companion BPRD book, which may be even better. As far as trades, there's four books of BPRD: Plague of Frogs and then a 1946-1948 collection with three minis in one book. The current mega-arc is Hell on Earth, I don't think there's any big chunky collections of that yet, just ordinary trades. As someone who only read them a few months ago, they're incredible. They're not the movie, but they are just as good if not significantly better.

Thanks for the info! What's a 'BPRD'? I'll keep an eye out for Hellboy v1 now.

EDIT: OH. d'oh! I thought BRPD was a book/collection term hahaha silly

You guys are terribly friendly and informative, and... dammit.

This year has been a huge wakeup call to the world of Comics, and you've all helped a great deal. Just taking the time to read the thoughts of a total beginning delving into Marvel for the first time was enough to keep me going, and learn a lot along the way.

Now I'm on the verge of throwing myself into:

Walking Dead
Saga
Hellboy
Sin City

and I know I'll probably end up hunting down the Aliens collection at some point, as that's my favourite movie franchise of all time (even if it is totally messed up now). I'm hoping the comics have an interesting standalone universe that'll capture what I'm after.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
everytime Shadowland is mentioned in some comic I feel like reading it, but then everyone tells me its terribad :(

Man, do you guys remember toward the end when Acclaim was having those insane contests? Name your baby Turok, Put Shadowman 2 advertisements on actual tombstones....

Oh crap, I remember that Turok competition now! Wow, I had forgot all about those insane competitions. Did anyone actually do that?

Oh man, I've just thought back to one of the first comic series I used to buy, but I can't remember it's name. It might have even been a small story after the main story, it had Dinosaurs in it, like Blue Velociraptors, and I remember they were after eggs or something. We're talking early/mid 90s here. I don't think there was much dialogue in it all.

EDIT:

AHA! Google is the best.

Age of Reptiles!

Tribalwarfare.jpg

My childhood comic collection was a bit strange.

I used to get the Beano and Dandy every week or so, both of those are like traditional UK kid comics, and then from there I somehow went to Age of Reptiles, mixed with the double header of Knightfall and the Death of Superman (they came as one issue). After that I never read a comic again until this year. So odd.

Hellboy and BPRD are so good. I can't recommend them enough. There's a lot of reading material too.

I'd also like to say that I enjoyed the favorite comics of 2015 everyone else has been posting!

I'm caught up with all the current new Marvel releases, and looking to start clearing out a backlog of Image stuff I have stockpiled on Comixology. I'm only caught up on Saga, Fight Club 2, Huck (lol), I Hate Fairyland, Zero, and Rat Queens.

Any recommendations on where to start with these titles? Is there anything I should just drop altogether? Ideally, I'm going to trim this down to 5-10 good titles. I buy way more that I ever have time to read, and I'm going to try to prune this stuff down (you're welcome, comic book industry, for a fool and his money).

Birthright
Black Magick
Black Science - picking up from issue #12
Chrononauts
Codename Baboushka Blah Blah Blah
Deadly Class
Descender
God Hates Astronauts
Jupiter's Circle
Kaptara
Lazarus - picking up from issue #5
Low
Nameless
ODY-C
Outcast
Paper Girls
Pretty Deadly
Red One
Sex Criminals
Southern Bastards
Spread
The Fade Out
The Humans
The Wicked + The Divine

gabbo

Any recommendations on where to start with these titles? Is there anything I should just drop altogether? Ideally, I'm going to trim this down to 5-10 good titles. I buy way more that I ever have time to read, and I'm going to try to prune this stuff down (you're welcome, comic book industry, for a fool and his money).

Sex Criminals
The Wicked + The Divine

From your list, these are the only two I've read, and I will say start from the very beginning. Both are heavy in world building early on.

Messi

I'm caught up with all the current new Marvel releases, and looking to start clearing out a backlog of Image stuff I have stockpiled on Comixology. I'm only caught up on Saga, Fight Club 2, Huck (lol), I Hate Fairyland, Zero, and Rat Queens.

Birthright
Black Magick
Black Science - picking up from issue #12
Chrononauts
Codename Baboushka Blah Blah Blah
Deadly Class
Descender
God Hates Astronauts
Jupiter's Circle
Kaptara
Lazarus - picking up from issue #5
Low
Nameless
ODY-C
Outcast
Paper Girls
Pretty Deadly
Red One
Sex Criminals
Southern Bastards
Spread
The Fade Out
The Humans
The Wicked + The Divine

You have a great list with only a few books that arent top quality or arent worth it. You should add Monstress to your list. It is only two issues in but it has been so good. Also the first issue is like 80 pages of story so thats like 3 issues.

From your list, these are the only two I've read, and I will say start from the very beginning. Both are heavy in world building early on.

Thanks. I think I read the first issue of Wicked & Divine several months ago and loved it. Will definitely prioritize catching up on these.

You have a great list with only a few books that arent top quality or arent worth it. You should add Monstress to your list. It is only two issues in but it has been so good. Also the first issue is like 80 pages of story so thats like 3 issues.

I forgot to mention Monstress. I bought the first two issues after seeing the art work.

Which books would you argue aren't top quality or worth reading? I really do want to trim it down some and just write some of the books off, so to speak. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

I've not read either one of those yet but I'll put them on my list.

I really did enjoy what he did with Elsa Bloodstone in Marvel Zombies though. That was one of my favorite Secret Wars tie-ins. On the flip side I did not like The Spire much at all. Dropped it after a few issues. Just too weird and hard to follow.

I haven't read The Spire yet, but I've been collecting the floppies. Six Gun Gorilla is far out but I wouldn't say it's hard to follow. Though, I would actually recommend Numbercruncher over Six Gun Gorilla. It's incredibly unique and genius, IMO. I wish more people would read it.

Top Bottom