• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Messi

I can't disagree with that. This whole Wizard College story line is not doing a whole lot for me either.

What's more is he is trying to fix it but that takes time and its not going to change this arc. Yet I don't hear anyone talking about his dodgy story/writing but plenty of people on twitter ect more than happy to shit on Tess.

Too bad since he's the only other person in these threads that reads Manifest Destiny.

I've been reading my first trade since you reccomended it.

Vyer

The step back is definitely there, but it also hasn't been bad enough to stop me from reading the book.

He lost interest in the day to day posting here. I dont blame him sometimes tbh. Plus the google chat has taken away some of the off topic chat. People are welcome to join if they like btw. I am sorry but Grandharrier posts in there. Can't all be winners.

Shit, that reminds me I need to get that signup squared away.

Too bad since he's the only other person in these threads that reads Manifest Destiny.

That's not true.

I'm probably going to buy the first two trades with my next IST order.

plenty of people on twitter ect more than happy to shit on Tess.

How is that surprising based on what you know of the internet Comics collective? There may be an opinion floating around that she got the gig as a pity-job-offer because of the Brian Wood thing.

VanWinkle

Speaking of Tess Fowler, I loved this drawing she did.

tumblr_inline_nm0ju9R0oy1trrk9z_500.jpg

Love that.

diaspora

I honestly can't figure out Hawkeye right now.
Kate wanted to rescue the kids from Hydra, so she and Clint did... but she refused to turn them over to SHIELD.
So I'm not sure what she was hoping to happen at that point? Was Clint supposed to raise them in his apartment?

Messi

I honestly can't figure out Hawkeye right now.
Kate wanted to rescue the kids from Hydra, so she and Clint did... but she refused to turn them over to SHIELD.
So I'm not sure what she was hoping to happen at that point? Was Clint supposed to raise them in his apartment?

Like an army of little Hawkeyes

VanWinkle

I've really come to love street-level heroic comics like Chuck Dixon's Nightwing and Matt Fraction's Hakweye. The first Harley Quinn N52 trade I have is kinda like that too. Just has a cool feel to it with them trying to juggle their personal lives with gangs and villains. What are some other great ones?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I've really come to love street-level heroic comics like Chuck Dixon's Nightwing and Matt Fraction's Hakweye. The first Harley Quinn N52 trade I have is kinda like that too. Just has a cool feel to it with them trying to juggle their personal lives with gangs and villains. What are some other great ones?

If you like Harley you should also enjoy Starfire.

Daredevil by Miller, Bendis, or Waid are top tier street-level heroes

VanWinkle

If you like Harley you should also enjoy Starfire.

Had no idea Starfire was street-level stuff, but I hadn't looked into it at all. That's cool. I'll check out the first trade when it releases.

Daredevil by Miller, Bendis, or Waid are top tier street-level heroes

Added Bendis Ultimate Collection Vol. 1 to my IST wishlist. Thanks! I figured DD would be good, but I didn't really know what to look into.

Messi

Had no idea Starfire was street-level stuff, but I hadn't looked into it at all. That's cool. I'll check out the first trade when it releases.

Added Bendis Ultimate Collection Vol. 1 to my IST wishlist. Thanks! I figured DD would be good, but I didn't really know what to look into.

Its Starfire in a fish out of water situation trying to fit in and build a life while also being a hero.

Owzers

And this is the last time i ever buy anything from gamestop, their fake new game's manual was creased up in several places.

diaspora

Like an army of little Hawkeyes

Who can kill people with their thoughts. I usually like Kate's Hawkeye stories, but the irrationality on the tail end of the series and with ANAD Hawkeye is just baffling. Like I get she wants to rescue the kids but if she doesn't want Hydra/AIM/SHIELD to have them, what does she want? It reminds me of Captain America and everyone being assmad at Tony and the Illuminati for destroying worlds during the Incursions- they didn't have alternatives and any alternatives they tried had failed so...

This must be wrong but on Amazon UK...Thor God of Thunder Vol 1 (seems to be oversized) is about 272 pages for £20 and apparently only includes 1-5...yet Vol 2 is same price, 320 pages and includes issues 12-25....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0785191135/

I'm guessing it's a product detail error on Amazon's part since the God Butcher stuff is listed separately but hmmm...

Messi

This must be wrong but on Amazon UK...Thor God of Thunder Vol 1 (seems to be oversized) is about 272 pages for £20 and apparently only includes 1-5...yet Vol 2 is same price, 320 pages and includes issues 12-25....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0785191135/

I'm guessing it's a product detail error on Amazon's part since the God Butcher stuff is listed separately but hmmm...

The product description is wrong and says it refers to an out of print version of the book. The rest checks out as the ohc version.

I don't like her faces.

+ 1

She seems to be getting better as she gets more comfortable too.

She would have to drastically overhaul her style, pretty much grown a new hand, to have any hope of producing a worthy follow-up to Sejic/Upchurch.

Well I'm still reading so I don't hate her art THAT much.

Yeah, I still don't see myself quitting the book. But, unlike others here, I'm not minding the writing of the second arc. I think there have been plenty of funny bits and character moments.

Just awful...AWFUL I SAY

Everything is relative. Compared to Sejic's world and Upchurch's faces, awful is a pretty good description, yeah.

^That art up there looks fine. It's pretty good. I haven't seen much from Tess, but it seems fine. I will say, though, I'm actually not a huge fan of Sejic art, from the stuff I've seen. I don't like the way he/she draws faces, and it just generally doesn't do much for me.

That's not how you do it.

Dislike everything I've seen of Sejic's art also I'm afraid. The sketchy line work, the same face, the coloring, the bad background work. There's also something really uncanny valley about the faces when they try to show emotion too.

That's how you do it. I have a different opinion, but this here is a legitimate take down.

Messi, no one likes taking a step back in art quality. If you go from an Upchurch to a Sejic to a Fowler, it's a case of which-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other. It's nothing personal, I just don't like her style and feel it doesn't suit the book as well as the other two.

+1

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Some update must've fucked my laptop.

Was reading a comic from a humble bundle I haven't read and the quality is shit:

n3IJoLR.png

The fuck? It was fine the other day

LIST

Clean Room #3
The Mighty Thor #2
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3
Archie Collectors Edition (collects issues 1-3)
Spire #5 of 8
Prometheus Eternal one shot

And maybe the Harbinger one dollar debut.

diaspora

just keep going.

It'll get to the so-bad-it's-trash phase really soon.

Jesus christ the inverted hero dialogue. They should have given Wilson a mustache to twirl.

edit: oh god, I can't stop reading this, somebody help me

edit 2: lmao, Tony becomes evil and introduces in-app purchases

edit 3: and Doom jobbed to the Scarlet Witch. Amazing. Always knew the guy was secretly a jabroni.

Firemind

This is I think my first post in the Comics OT, so be gentle.

I just watched Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox and the 'what if' scenario definitely piqued my interest. (Why the hell is it so violent though? Jesus.) So I go to wiki and imagine my surprise that the comic book series it's based on is what triggered The New 52. Woah. I liked Ultimate Marvel's take on an alternate universe, but this takes it to a whole another level.

Question is, where do I begin? I see there's a Main Series, but it's only five issues long, so it's either super short or it doesn't cover everything in the film. What I would like is a collected edition that covers the story arc chronologically, but apparently they wrote tie-in miniseries that help develop the alternate world's characters and their history, possibly before the Flash 'woke up' in the alternate reality. That's disappointing if true. I love how for example Superman isn't Clark Kent, but just Kal-El. I love how Wonder Woman is the villain. I love how Shazam is comprised of a bunch of kids. I even love their take on Batman.
(Martha Wayne becoming the Joker is total bullshit though.
I love how there's so much wanton destruction and killing. I don't really want to follow their stories before the whole thing escalates if you know what I mean. World-building is fine, but there is a line when it comes to exposition. With that in mind, are the tie-in miniseries and one-shots worth reading? If so, which ones?

Additionally, how is Final Crisis? What about Justice?

Owzers

I just watched Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox and the 'what if' scenario definitely piqued my interest. (Why the hell is it so violent though? Jesus.) So I go to wiki and imagine my surprise that the comic book series it's based on is what triggered The New 52. Woah. I liked Ultimate Marvel's take on an alternate universe, but this takes it to a whole another level.

Question is, where do I begin? I see there's a Main Series, but it's only five issues long, so it's either super short or it doesn't cover everything in the film. What I would like is a collected edition that covers the story arc chronologically, but apparently they wrote tie-in miniseries that help develop the alternate world's characters and their history, possibly before the Flash 'woke up' in the alternate reality. That's disappointing if true. I love how for example Superman isn't Clark Kent, but just Kal-El. I love how Wonder Woman is the villain. I love how Shazam is comprised of a bunch of kids. I even love their take on Batman.
I love how there's so much wanton destruction and killing. I don't really want to follow their stories before the whole thing escalates if you know what I mean. World-building is fine, but there is a line when it comes to exposition. With that in mind, are the tie-in miniseries and one-shots worth reading? If so, which ones?

Welcome to comics-gaf posting life. The best tie-in to Flashpoint i read was the Batman series which is collected in the Flashpoint World of Flashpoint Batman tpb along with two other bat-related tie-ins. The superman series collected in the superman world tp was okayyyyy, but mainly the only one i remember feeling like it was worth the money was Azzarello's Batman.

Final Crisis was great but Morrison-weird.

tim1138

If I remember correctly, the only thing the movie touches on that isn't in the main series is the Hal Jordan stuff. There are also a handful of differences with the characters between the comic and the movie (ie Captain Atom isn't in the comic at all) as well as some plot pointso being different.

The Batman tie in is probably the best, but I also enjoyed the Secret Seven, the Outsider, and the Green Lantern miniseries plus the Grodd and Reverse Flash one shots. Here's a reading order for both the trades and single issues - http://collectededitions.blogspot.com/2012/04/flashpoint-trade-reading-order-dccomics.html?m=1

Final Crisis is one of my favorite events ever, but without a deep understanding of the DC Universe I'm not sure how much you would get out of it. If you're looking for alt reality type stories check out Justice and Kingdom Come. Starting next year DC is also going to be publishing trades of the old Elseworlds stories, which may be up your alley as well.

Top Bottom