• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Violence was definitley unexpected but it was also a good change, and presumably it was to reflect the 'harshness' of the Flashpoint world. Good movie, good event.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Somehow Master of Kung Fu #2 slipped by me on this week's update, doubly weird because I loved the first issue. And I loved the second issue aswell! If there's one SW book I wish was it's own thing for a ongoing it's this one, I love what they've done with this universe. Drunk Shang Shi is awesome.

And now back to Superior and his gang of Spidey...minions? Lol

You could probably call the Earth One stuff "what if" or "alternate universe" material as well, though it's a lot less blatant in its comparisons.

What's up with DC's continuity?

Is Justice League set before current events in Batman etc?

AFAIK, JL is just... doing its own thing, canon-wise. They did announce that post-Convergence they were going to dial back the editorial control.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was Tony's inversion eventually reversed or did Secret Wars retcon that?

It was not, he was still inverted when him and Steve were beating each other senseless while the world exploded around them. But of all the excuses to retcon something, I guess Secret Wars is up there as least offense. I mean technically they have care blanche to retcon anything after SW.

What if all Image books are in the one universe?

All the superhero ones are, to an extent. Invincible's world has its' own Savage Dragon, Witchblade, etc but they are separate from the main ones.

invincible60cover.jpg

I like to think they are their own multiverse. Would make for a very interesting Battleworld.

Rhaknar

I'm not gonna lie, I love it every time someone says "I hate time travel" when involved in a time travel story. Sure it's a cheap way of waving some problem away since its usually used to NOT explain a paradox or something, but it cracks me up every time.

diaspora

It was not, he was still inverted when him and Steve were beating each other senseless while the world exploded around them. But of all the excuses to retcon something, I guess Secret Wars is up there as least offense. I mean technically they have care blanche to retcon anything after SW.
That explains why he was being a shitlord. I wonder what Steve's excuse is.

Rhaknar

Has Stegman improved on Uncanny after that awful first issue? It's breaking my brain how good he is every time he's on Superior compared to that first Uncanny Avengers issue.

Also, side note, but Venom (as in Flash) was actually a long series at 42 issues. I stopped at #6 because it was a Spider Island crossover but I need to get bak to it, I liked the first 5 issues (and I don't plan on reading spider island anyway)

Messi

Has Stegman improved on Uncanny after that awful first issue? It's breaking my brain how good he is every time he's on Superior compared to that first Uncanny Avengers issue.

Also, side note, but Venom (as in Flash) was actually a long series at 42 issues. I stopped at #6 because it was a Spider Island crossover but I need to get bak to it, I liked the first 5 issues (and I don't plan on reading spider island anyway)

He's gotten a bit better than the first issue but nowhere near Superior. Its quite a letdown.

Firemind

Welcome to comics-gaf posting life. The best tie-in to Flashpoint i read was the Batman series which is collected in the Flashpoint World of Flashpoint Batman tpb along with two other bat-related tie-ins. The superman series collected in the superman world tp was okayyyyy, but mainly the only one i remember feeling like it was worth the money was Azzarello's Batman.

Final Crisis was great but Morrison-weird.
Thanks! I'll be sure to check out the Batman series. He seems to be the most interesting, fleshed out character of the bunch.

If I remember correctly, the only thing the movie touches on that isn't in the main series is the Hal Jordan stuff. There are also a handful of differences with the characters between the comic and the movie (ie Captain Atom isn't in the comic at all) as well as some plot pointso being different.

The Batman tie in is probably the best, but I also enjoyed the Secret Seven, the Outsider, and the Green Lantern miniseries plus the Grodd and Reverse Flash one shots. Here's a reading order for both the trades and single issues - http://collectededitions.blogspot.com/2012/04/flashpoint-trade-reading-order-dccomics.html?m=1

Final Crisis is one of my favorite events ever, but without a deep understanding of the DC Universe I'm not sure how much you would get out of it. If you're looking for alt reality type stories check out Justice and Kingdom Come. Starting next year DC is also going to be publishing trades of the old Elseworlds stories, which may be up your alley as well.
Wow, that link will be super handy. Thanks! To be honest, I'm attracted to Justice because of Alex Ross' amazing artwork, so I'm definitely going to give it a read. I think I read Kingdom Come before, but it's so hazy I have to read it again. Thanks, man, for the suggestions.

diaspora

No, which sucks since his work on Superior was damn good.

Tomita

One good comic that I'm sure that people would enjoy here is called Birthright. Imagine a father stopping at a park with his kid playing ball, then the kid vanishes as he's talking on the phone with his wife. People try to find the kid and of course the father is accused of killing the kid. It destroys the family, he becomes a drunk who is still accused of having done the deed but there is no proof, his ex wife thinks he did it. The one other son still around has to deal with all this. Then one day, hey something happened, there's this strange man the cops have found that might have something to do with it all, he has the sons back pack and other items on him.

The man is the son. It's only been a year but he's got a beard and is tough as hell, what's more he tells the investigators he got trapped in another land, one where he was the chosen hero prophesied to save the world and now he's back because he wanted to see his family. But is it the full truth?

Its good stuff and vaguely reminds me of Saga in another way. If that's sci fi this one is fantasy based, only without all the nudity and sex.

Oh shit, I saw this when it was first coming out and forgot about it. So glad I read this comment, even if I'm late in responding. Getting it from my library now. :D

And also remembered that I still need to read Planetary... Guh, so many comics to read, so little time.

Found out today Black Canary's being delayed a week, boo.

PsychBat!

Banned
That explains why he was being a shitlord. I wonder what Steve's excuse is.

Tony being a prick is nothing new, even with the inversion.

Steve being a stubborn old man who doesn't listen to logic or reason and is driven by his single minded obsession with Tony is also kind of nothing new.

Rhaknar

Yoooo this art by Giuseppe Camuncoli is dope

man3.png

Rhaknar

Oh fuck he's on Amazing?

PuW18jf.gif

Also lol at Otto just fucking clocking Black Cat in the mouth, no chit chat, no zinger, just wam.

Squire

Banned
Damn, Camoncoli got good. His art on F4/FF was so eh.

Edit: Can one of you guys post his Mockingbird? I'd love to see that.

PsychBat!

Banned

Also lol at Otto just fucking clocking Black Cat in the mouth, no chit chat, no zinger, just wam.

First time I saw this, I'm not gonna lie, I laughed. Then I went "what the hell?", still not angry. Some people on GAF not in ComicGAF found this really not amusing, and I can see why. But I'll never understand the naysayers trying to make that unfunny to the people that found it funny.

Messi

Oh fuck he's on Amazing?

PuW18jf.gif

Series Artist bro

Look at that lovely Mockingbird. Glad I am not the only one loving that design. He is doing fantastic work even better than superior on Amazing. Just wish I liked his Anna Maria more.

diaspora

Interesting that she technically works for Parker Industries. In Silk
Cindy is a double agent, spying on Black cat for her. This technically means Cindy is Peter's spy right?
If so, he seems like he's got a surprising grasp on what's going on.

Sandfox

Interesting that she technically works for Parker Industries. In Silk
Cindy is a double agent, spying on Black cat for her. This technically means Cindy is Peter's spy right?
If so, he seems like he's got a surprising grasp on what's going on.

Mockingbird works for SHIELD so Silk would be their spy in that case.

frye

A lot of what I liked last year is still good (Transformers vs. GI Joe, Deadly Class, Stray Bullets) or I fell behind on (Sothern Bastards, WicDiv, Ms. Marvel) so I won’t go over those. Here are 6ish comics I liked, 2 I’m ambivalent about, and 1 I hated so it's not so much a top whatever so much as a year in review of comics that made me Think about things. A lot of it skews recent (i.e. the last 6 months), but that's the nature of these things sometimes

Al Ewing and Alan Davis comics (a.k.a Ultron Forever + Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders) - As far as capes go, Ewing is the most naturally talented writer working and Alan Davis is his strongest collaborator since Henry Flint. Between Davis’s classicism and Ewing’s pure storytelling chops, I can’t think of 5 issues of any superhero comic better than these this year.

Lose #7 by Michael DeForge - DeForge’s control over his line is as impeccable his control over his tone, as seen when the longest story here – "Movie Star" – makes the turn from the serious into the surreal without losing a beat. There’s transformation here, as we’ve come to expect, but not necessarily a physical one.

Pope Hats #4 by Ethan Rilly - My favourite story here is a 4-pager called “Stained Glass,” a mediation on perfectionism in art and its role in self-sabotage, but the whole comic is a genuine accomplishment. A cast of loners and lonely people surrounded by people they’ve pushed away, but never celebratory in its depiction of them.

Justice League #41-46 By Jason Fabok, Geoff Johns, and Francis Manapul -Darkseid War is good dumb Geoff Johns comics instead of the bad dumb Geoff Johns comics it’s been. A big part of it is Jason Fabok, whose Finchian influences belie a strong figure artist and storyteller underneath but Johns is also genuinely stepping his game up in these issues.

The Humans #3-10 by Keenan Marshall Keller and Tom Seely - As much as it works as a po-faced depiction of trauma and its effect on the people around you, The Humans is really about three things: fucking shit up, getting fucked up, and Tom Neely’s fantastically rendered (and hand lettered!) carnage. Humans For Life! Humans Till Deth!

All Star Section Eight #1-6 by John McCrea and Garth Ennis - Hilarious, scathing, depressing, and genuinely affecting all at once. The Phantom rapping fun of Vertigo comics before pleading the DC trade department with Etrigan to bring the Ennis/McCrea Demon run back into print might be the actual funniest thing in the world.

Tokyo Ghost #1-3 Rick Remender and Sean Murphy - Despite my adoration of Uncanny Avengers and Deadly Class last year, I find myself conflicted about Remender’s Image sci-fi work. The broadness of his writing works for superheroics and teenage angst, but fares less well out the mouths of what are supposed to be adults. Very little of the social satire stuff in Tokyo Ghost works for me. Meanwhile, Debbie and Led’s relationship is fairly engaging even though Debbie’s attachment to Led given how he is in the first two issues is pretty odd. The third issue is the best because it shows you why they're together, but I’m still fairly mixed about it as a whole so far, even with Murphy bringing the business.

The Fade Out #4-11 Sean Phillips and Ed Brubaker - I’m super into Karina Longworth’s Hollywood podcast at the moment and have also caught up with The Fade Out in large part because of that. And The Fade Out is basically that, really – sleazy studio bosses, “fixers,” closeted male stars, people losing their souls trying to make it in the big time, etc…the real people that the fictional characters are based on are obvious. I like the comic, but there’s a way in which the fiction is weirdly less interesting than the reality here.

Dark Knight III: The Master Race #1 by Many Hands - Depressing on every level. Frank Miller is special within the history of mainstream comics in that he achieved critical and financial success early enough that he had the freedom to choose his projects. There’s very little in his body of work that you could point out as fluff – there’s no Ditko drawing Micronauts or Moore writing Violator in there for example – and even his failures are worth reading because they’re clearly and recognizably him. Both Dark Knight books, whatever you think of them, work because it’s a single writer and artist (with ample help from Klaus Janson and Lynn Varley) pursuing a unified aesthetic vision. With Dark Knight III: The Master Race, you have no trace of Frank Miller: one of the greatest cartoonists of all time nor Frank Miller: one of the greatest collaborators of all time. You have Brian Azzarello and Andy Kubert turning the Dark fucking Knight into an 8-issue event comic complete with tie-ins. It’s boring and I’d rather read Holy Terror 2: Elektraboogaloo than what can only hope to amount to a competent Batman comic at its best.

Top Bottom