• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Messi

Awesome. I added the vol 2-6 trades to my IST wishlist. I'd love to just buy them all in one go. Vol. 7 will have to wait, since it's only in hardcover right now. I hate having some volumes in TPB and some in HC.

And, yeah, the art is fantastic.

It's a great companion book to Snyders batman that while awesome I think at times has lacked the emotional side of those characters. Batman and robin fills in those gaps.

WEGGLES

It was a bit ago, but what did everyone think of We Stand on Guard? (I did some searching and couldn't find anything here)

Entire series spoilers:

I enjoyed the series up until the rushed 6th book. It was pretty interesting. As a Canadian I felt as though the "Canadian Pride" throughout the series felt like Canadian paint on American style pride. As well some of the "Canadianisms" didn't hit the mark for me. Like calling water "Hydro" just so Amber can say "that's what we call power!" seemed... weird. I really wish they didn't wrap things up in 6 issues. The ending felt immensely unsatisfying. It felt like The Day The Earth Stood Stupid "Now I am leaving earth, for no Raisin". Why would the entire Army leave... because of one water source being poisoned. Erm. Sorry. "Hydro". I even thought the ambiguity they introduced in the last issue about motives etc. was cool. Oh well!

VanWinkle

asdflkjrgas.png

Yeeeesss. Definitely getting this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thors #1 omg

Police procedural with Thors, serial killer killing Jane Fosters, Ultimate Thor being awesome, Storm, I AM THOR, Frog Thor medical examiner, Beta Ray noooooo.

Easily the best Secret Wars book, Aaron is the GOAT

Edit: sorry I was excited about that issue and proceeded to kill all your phones with gifs lol.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
It was a bit ago, but what did everyone think of We Stand on Guard? (I did some searching and couldn't find anything here)

Entire series spoilers:

I enjoyed the series up until the rushed 6th book. It was pretty interesting. As a Canadian I felt as though the "Canadian Pride" throughout the series felt like Canadian paint on American style pride. As well some of the "Canadianisms" didn't hit the mark for me. Like calling water "Hydro" just so Amber can say "that's what we call power!" seemed... weird. I really wish they didn't wrap things up in 6 issues. The ending felt immensely unsatisfying. It felt like The Day The Earth Stood Stupid "Now I am leaving earth, for no Raisin". Why would the entire Army leave... because of one water source being poisoned. Erm. Sorry. "Hydro". I even thought the ambiguity they introduced in the last issue about motives etc. was cool. Oh well!

Hated it.

Fantomex- regardless of why, did the right thing almost consistently from start to finish he along with Wade who both formed something approximating a friendship are the only reasons why Evan is sane and stable. Hell, I pity him more now in Spurrier's X-Factor since it's pretty clear his programming gives him ridiculous brain problems and he really needs mental health help.

True, but I'm more pissed at the treatment of Wade by other characters than how they treated Fantomex.

I guess maybe DC is doing something big for April? May? I dunno, it just seems like with 50th issue milestones and their biggest movie ever in theaters and everything else that's going on, they'd be doing more than... this.

What do you mean? They are doing something.... jacking up the price to $4.99 on all those #50's.

diaspora

True, but I'm more pissed at the treatment of Wade by other characters than how they treated Fantomex.

It's why I appreciate it when Clint and Kate bro it up with him. Seeing it come out that Cable deliberately exploited Fantomex's mental issues was really... something. The basic logic error of his mind was deliberately aggravated until his mind broke.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's why I appreciate it when Clint and Kate bro it up with him. Seeing it come out that Cable deliberately exploited Fantomex's mental issues was really... something. The basic logic error of his mind was deliberately aggravated until his mind broke.

I love that X-Force run, super fucked up

Also Marvel Zombies #1 was super fun. Love me some Elsa Bloodstone

VanWinkle

It's a great companion book to Snyders batman that while awesome I think at times has lacked the emotional side of those characters. Batman and robin fills in those gaps.

I think Snyder does an amazing job exploring the inner psyche of Batman/Bruce, but you are right that his other characters don't quite get that same attention in that regard. From the volume one of B&R, I could definitely see a strong emotional punch, and it takes great advantage of such an interesting relationship in Bruce and Damian.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
It was a bit ago, but what did everyone think of We Stand on Guard? (I did some searching and couldn't find anything here

I am pretty much in agreement with you. The first couple of issues were pretty good, but the ending was terribly rushed and the whole plot sort of just fell apart.

anaron

oh wow Ms.Marvel did super well in sales for November.

ultimates did well too! I expected it to do better but I'm pleased.

Monstress solid too :)

Messi

oh wow Ms.Marvel did super well in sales for November.

ultimates did well too! I expected it to do better but I'm pleased.

Monstress solid too :)

Those Dark Knight 3 and Vader Down numbers Wat.

Switch #2 6,788

So that's Switch dead then. :(

Sandfox

This months sales are in fact ridiculous and quite a few of the Marvel books had better holds than I expected. Putting Bendis on Iron Man seems to have been a success when you look at the how the past runs have done.

Howling Commandos, Angela, and Squirrel Girl(though this title will probably have more leeway) seem to be struggling early and could be part of the first ANAD books to go, while quite a few of the new DC You books are selling meh to poor despite only being a few issues in.

Clint and Kate weren't exactly bro-ing it up. They were treating him like an ass all the same, but he was going with them anyway. Seriously, no one likes Wade. Except for Evan.

And yeah, Cable is the scummiest of scummy assholes.

diaspora

Clint and Kate weren't exactly bro-ing it up. They were treating him like an ass all the same, but he was going with them anyway. Seriously, no one likes Wade. Except for Evan.

And yeah, Cable is the scummiest of scummy assholes.

I was referring to them ditching She Hulks christmas party to hang out with him. Logan and Rogers were... sympathetic at least during the North Korean arc.

Rhaknar

So what are good and bad numbers for comic sales? I honestly have no idea

Messi

This months sales are in fact ridiculous and quite a few of the Marvel books had better holds than I expected. Putting Bendis on Iron Man seems to have been a success when you look at the how the past runs have done.

Howling Commandos, Angela, and Squirrel Girl(though this title will probably have more leeway) seem to be struggling early and could be part of the first ANAD books to go, while quite a few of the new DC You books are selling meh to poor despite only being a few issues in.

Isn't Angela selling what it has always sold? Is is just a continuation of both previous series. I can't see them canning it as long as they want to keep working with Marguerite Bennet and to keep pushing Angela (pretty sure that push ended when she left guardians). I do believe that Marvel will try to get Margurite to go exclusive to them. She is a pretty fantastic talent. But I'd hate to see her DC work stop.

Squirrel Girl is doing great digitally and in trade according to Marvel.

Edit: last issue of Angela's pre secret wars book actual sold a little less that this #2

Sandfox

Isn't Angela selling what it has always sold? Is is just a continuation of both previous series. I can't see them canning it as long as they want to keep working with Marguerite Bennet and to keep pushing Angela (pretty sure that push ended when she left guardians). I do believe that Marvel will try to get Margurite to go exclusive to them. She is a pretty fantastic talent. But I'd hate to see her DC work stop.

Squirrel Girl is doing great digitally and in trade according to Marvel.

Right now the book is selling a little worse, but what really matters is the holds.

So what are good and bad numbers for comic sales? I honestly have no idea

It really depends on the company and even then there are certain variables that you have to pay attention to.

Owzers

I'm sorry for killing Switch....i wasn't sure if i liked it enough to continue buying it considering i only watch wrestling and play hearthstone lately. I think i can sneak in Thors #1 before Roman's match...

Messi

Right now the book is selling a worse, but what really matters is the holds.

It really depends on the company and even then there are certain variables that you have to pay attention to.

So it seems to have lost the secret wars bump and returned to its pre secret wars figures.

Sandfox

So it seems to have lost the secret wars bump and returned to its pre secret wars figures.

I was referring to its pre-SW numbers and the same is true for certain other books as well. Certain books are doing a little worse, but we need to see how things settle because Marvel launched a lot of new stuff.

Most comic sale numbers will make you very sad

The numbers have actually been going up over the past few years so that will tell you how sad the indurstry Pre-Flashpoint and Marvel Now.

Messi

Most comic sale numbers will make you very sad

Wasn't the break even number for image comics like 8-11k and some books we all like struggle to hit that. I feel like gillen wrote about people thinking wicked and the divine was a flop at 20k but that they say it exceeded their expectations multiple times over, books like Rat Queens, velvet, black science, beauty, American vampire (I realize this is vertigo, but I was shocked to see it was selling 10k) are all 10k-15k. Not every book is Saga at 53k.

ubeatable squirrel girl sales whyyy ;_;

edit: randomly decided to lopk at 2015 november sales vs 2009 november sales. 2015 sales are really top heavy and much better. sales for comics in top 100s generally sell about the same but the lowest selling titles sell much better now.

in 2009 the bottom selling comics werent pulling in 3k and in 2015 they are selling
4.5k or so. basically indies are healthier now. funny enough, phonogram was #299 in 2009 and #216 last month for a plus difference of almost 5k. im surprised phonogram doesnt sell better

Rhaknar

So what's a decent safe number for a Marvel comic then?

Sandfox

So what's a decent safe number for a Marvel comic then?

Normally I would say if a book is selling below 19k AND is ranked #120 or lower that's when you should start to get a bit worried, but now we're starting to see books that will probably survive due to picking up sales in other areas and/or appealing to different audiences.

I feel that book must do well digitally like Ms Marvel. Someone from the Ms Marvel team a while ago said ms marvel sells more digitally than physical.

IIRC that was just the first issue, but I would still expect digital sales to be strong for that series.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My books from November....

21 Walking Dead 148 $2.99 Image 65,526
46 Paper Girls 2 $2.99 Image 46,274
65 We Stand On Guard 5 $2.99 Image 37,227
87 I Hate Fairyland 2 $3.50 Image 31,626
92 Monstress 1 $4.99 Image 30,041
102 Tokyo Ghost 3 $3.99 Image 25,198
120 TMNT 52 $3.99 IDW 20,384
122 Wicked & Divine 16 $3.50 Image 19,360
128 Black Magick 2 $3.99 Image 17,686
136 Southern Bastards 12 $3.50 Image 16,681
143 Black Science 17 $3.50 Image 15,094
156 Rat Queens 13 $3.99 Image 13,075
159 Autumnlands 7 $2.99 Image 12,227
162 Beauty 4 $3.50 Image 12,154
192 Chew 52 $3.50 Image 9,056
235 Switch 2 $3.99 Image 6,788
240 Mythic 5 $3.99 Image 6,538
259 Rasputin 10 $3.50 Image 5,802

Well Rasputin is over and Chew is almost over so I don't have to worry about them. Mythic and Switch seem like they are in trouble. Everything else seems to be doing at least ok.

shingi70

Banned
So what went wrong with the DC You. It seems like DC saw sales dip for three months got cold feet are now going back to status quo ending books early, and smashing content into anthology series. Was it Secert Wars launching around the same month, DC fans being reluctant to change, of the fact that they mashed all the relaunches and new books into one month instead of spreading them out.

Love this panel from Vader down. Would love Dedato becoming the series regular artist.
114nqus.jpg

Messi

My books from November....

21 Walking Dead 148 $2.99 Image 65,526
46 Paper Girls 2 $2.99 Image 46,274
65 We Stand On Guard 5 $2.99 Image 37,227
87 I Hate Fairyland 2 $3.50 Image 31,626
92 Monstress 1 $4.99 Image 30,041
102 Tokyo Ghost 3 $3.99 Image 25,198
120 TMNT 52 $3.99 IDW 20,384
122 Wicked & Divine 16 $3.50 Image 19,360
128 Black Magick 2 $3.99 Image 17,686
136 Southern Bastards 12 $3.50 Image 16,681
143 Black Science 17 $3.50 Image 15,094
156 Rat Queens 13 $3.99 Image 13,075
159 Autumnlands 7 $2.99 Image 12,227
162 Beauty 4 $3.50 Image 12,154
192 Chew 52 $3.50 Image 9,056
235 Switch 2 $3.99 Image 6,788
240 Mythic 5 $3.99 Image 6,538
259 Rasputin 10 $3.50 Image 5,802

Well Rasputin is over and Chew is almost over so I don't have to worry about them. Mythic and Switch seem like they are in trouble. Everything else seems to be doing at least ok.

Sejic all but said switch is fucked lol

Sandfox

So what went wrong with the DC You. It seems like DC saw sales dip for three months got cold feet are now going back to status quo ending books early, and smashing content into anthology series. Was it Secert Wars launching around the same month, DC fans being reluctant to change, of the fact that they mashed all the relaunches and new books into one month instead of spreading them out.

Love this panel from Vader down. Would love Dedato becoming the series regular artist.
114nqus.jpg

I think it was the books they decided to launch and the questionable handling of their big name heroes. A lot of people also didn't seem to like Convergence.

VanWinkle

It honestly just seemed like a very half-hearted (if even that) effort. Say what you will about New 52, but at least they went all in with it.

couple of other notes

bkv is a sales monster

huck did well. the goddamned also did very well. didnt see that coming. guess aaron and guera have some pretty good will with readers and retailers.

tokyo ghost not as big as i would have expected.

rumble noooo

Rhaknar

Yoooo dem high school hijinks in Runaways #1. Man, so many of these Secret Wars books are just so...fun. it's going to be cool to re-read the whole thing in like 1 year

Top Bottom