• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Why doesn't DC have any kind of Marvel Unlimited equivalent? Marvel sales are clearly good enough to show that it doesn't impact sales too much. On the flip side I am shelling out the money to buy the entirety of stuff like Batman, Azzarello's Wonder Woman, etc. so I guess it isn't needed.

btw what are the best new52 or later series? I need to make my reading list even more intimidating than it already is.

Why doesn't DC have any kind of Marvel Unlimited equivalent? Marvel sales are clearly good enough to show that it doesn't impact sales too much. On the flip side I am shelling out the money to buy the entirety of stuff like Batman, Azzarello's Wonder Woman, etc. so I guess it isn't needed.

btw what are the best new52 or later series? I need to make my reading list even more intimidating than it already is.

Well, you already have Batman and Wonder Woman, so...

Action Comics (Geoff Johns or Greg Pak only)
Aquaman
Grayson
The Omega Men
Martian Manhunter
Starfire
Batman & Robin
Robin, Son of Batman
We Are Robin
Batman Eternal

off the top of my head. I'd also recommend Red Hood & The Outlaws and Red Hood/Arsenal if you have a high tolerance for Lobdellisms.

EDIT: Ooh, how did I forget Gotham Academy?

VanWinkle

Who knows. I desperately wish they did.

I haven't read much New 52 stuff at all, BUT Batman, Batman and Robin, Jusice League, Green Arrow (Lemire/Sorrento run), Gotham Academy, Grayson, and Wonder Woman (Azzarello/Chang run) are all great. Batgirl of Burnside is also fun, I thought.

Messi

So two main things here:

1) quote unquote anniversary issues have been doing this for decades now, so it's not really new

2) there's precedent for it in a way that Marvel doing it for their #1s doesn't really have afaik

One in the same to me tbh.

Dalek

I really had no idea We Stand On Guard was a limited series. I'm upset now, because I though the world building here was very thought out.

WEGGLES

I really had no idea We Stand On Guard was a limited series. I'm upset now, because I though the world building here was very thought out.

Nah, that's it. I imagine it'll be back, maybe? In some form? But as it stands its over. Cool premise wasted on... THAT ending.

diaspora

The X-Men Apocalypse thread got me thinking: anyone who wants unexpected feels ought to read Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine =(

It's mainly guardians right?

Also the event talk was sarcasm. Thought I do own all of doomed, Blight, and Axis.
No. It's Bendis writing either events or team books. He doesn't do either well but keeps doing them.

Bendis is great at street level and solo books. That's his roots from his early indie days. Hell Jessica jones is practically him recreating his early character Jinx

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't like it as much as most it seems. Their bickering got on my nerves after a while. I was cool with it at first but then it wouldn't stop and felt more mean spirited than I'd expect

Me neither

Squadron Sinister #1 was ok-ish, not knowing anything about the Squadron supreme makes it hard to relate I guess

1602 Angela Witch Hunter on the other hand was execellent

Owzers

my grudge against Bendis really formed during Secret Invasion and the price jump to 3.99 for the Avengers books around that time it ended. I cut way back on Marvel because of that.

Dalek

I like Ultimate Spider-Man but the book is the epitome of Bendis-speak. It gets on my nerves.

"I'm going to school."
"YOU'RE going to school?"
"Yeah-I'm going to school."
"Ok."
"Ok?"
"Yeah! OK!"
*Peter looks at MJ*
*MJ Looks at Peter*

"I'm going to school."

EDIT: I submit into evidence-Exhibit A

run17d.jpg

I'm really not a fan of Bagley's art.

diaspora

I like Ultimate Spider-Man but the book is the epitome of Bendis-speak. It gets on my nerves.

"I'm going to school."
"Ok."
"Ok?"
"Yeah! OK!"
*Peter looks at MJ*
*MJ Looks at Peter*

"I'm going to school."

When Jean mentioned people picturing her naked and Bendis needed a page for that... using the same damn layout.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have never heard of this series. Adding it to my library in MU.

It's not a series, it's a 4 issue mini

Well I guess technical it's a series. But not in the "ongoing" way we mention series

Edit: wait it's actually 6 issues... I guess that's as long as Spidey & the X-Men, which is depressing :/

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I loved the part where Wolverine
trained neanderthaler to make booze.
Never read the rest, I should buy it at some point...

Dalek

Big fan here, the first 10 issues are a big eh, after this its really good IMO.
The art really went awfull when Immonen replaced Bagley.

I could not disagree more. Difference of taste though. Bagley has been around since I was kid-he obviously has his fans. I thought Immonen was far better.

Edit: wait it's actually 6 issues... I guess that's as long as Spidey & the X-Men, which is depressing :/

I forgot that even existed.

Is Ultimate Spider-man by Brian Michael Bendis amazing
probably the definitive Spider-Man story following Lees, Ditkos and JRSR original run on the character

Big fan here, the first 10 issues are a big eh, after this its really good IMO.
The art really went awfull when Immonen replaced Bagley.

If there could only be one time where there would be an avatar quote in the history of gaf

this would be it

Tizoc

Is Ultimate Spider-man by Brian Michael Bendis amazing

Ultimate Spiderman is great, among the best Spiderman runs of all time IMO.

"I'm going to school."
"Ok."
"Ok?"
"Yeah! OK!"
*Peter looks at MJ*
*MJ Looks at Peter*

"I'm going to school."

I don' like Bagley'sart as well but you gotta give them credit for being th artist for 100 issues of the run. His style is distinctive at least.

I got up to issue #85 of Ultimate Spider-Man and loved it. It does get a bit old though considering the sheer number of issues and I understand that I've passed its peak. I'll get to finishing it sooner or later.

Gwen's death was really awful though. It was one of those "wait, she's actually dead? oh" kind of moments.

edit: I should add that the early covers are hilariously early 2000s-looking. They get a lot better later.

Foofaraw

Mondo is putting out some Marvel posters tomorrow. I really want to get one of the Dark Phoenix posters. The variant Wolverine with the whisker mask is pretty cool, too. I'm sure I'll miss them. Oh well!

Read the first two volumes of Ostrander's Suicide Squad. It is pretty great, with much darker back stories than I expected. William Hell is pretty great, and I hope I see more of that scumbag in the future.

Also, I finally read Monstress! Those issues are beautiful, and I'm really enjoying the story so far. I probably need to start reading some happier comics soon. Maybe I'll find a way to read old Sonic comics and nostalgia really hard.

I was referring to them ditching She Hulks christmas party to hang out with him. Logan and Rogers were... sympathetic at least during the North Korean arc.
I was just referring to Hawkeye vs. Deadpool.
-----------------------------------------------
Well fuck. So much for a Witchblade series I'd read. :|
Is there any worth reading?
Well, you already have Batman and Wonder Woman, so...

Action Comics (Geoff Johns or Greg Pak only)
Aquaman
Grayson
The Omega Men
Martian Manhunter
Starfire
Batman & Robin
Robin, Son of Batman
We Are Robin
Batman Eternal

off the top of my head. I'd also recommend Red Hood & The Outlaws and Red Hood/Arsenal if you have a high tolerance for Lobdellisms.

EDIT: Ooh, how did I forget Gotham Academy?

Earth 2 (followed by Earth 2 World's End)
Justice League Dark (Lemire's run. Nothing after)
Green Arrow (also Lemire's run)
Green Lantern (Johns' run)
Forever Evil (it's a good event story. Villains fighting villains. Super dope)
-----------------------------------------
It's mainly guardians right?

Also the event talk was sarcasm. Thought I do own all of doomed, Blight, and Axis.
Fucking why? It's so baaaaaaaaad
When Jean mentioned people picturing her naked and Bendis needed a page for that... using the same damn layout.
Are you referring to All-New X-Men? Because that whole 1610 arc pisses me off so damn much
Had to Google "gwen carnage"

Amazing-Spider-Man-Gwen-Stacy-Carnage.jpg

Lol :/
It looks so funny, but it probably shouldn't.

So two main things here:

1) quote unquote anniversary issues have been doing this for decades now, so it's not really new

2) there's precedent for it in a way that Marvel doing it for their #1s doesn't really have afaik

Oh no, I get that. But just because there's precedent doesn't mean it isn't a shitty business practice.

Tizoc

Alrighty then the next 2, after that comes my Top 5

7- Archie
Earlier this year Mark Waid and Fiona Staples presented a new modern Archie comic series. Although I can only recall reading maybe a handful of issues so far, what I did read of the series was very funny and filled with heartwarming moments. The presentation of panels to progress the story is a bit uncommon, then again i don't read much comics nowadays, but the structure of each issue so far has managed to keep th events going without feeling lost. Making Jughead the wise man was a nice touch too.

6- Mutliversity and Daredevil
I may be cheating here, but the bulk of Multiversity's issues were in 2014, and Daredevil by Mark Waid, concluded this year, that's prob. why I bulked them together.
The conclusion to these series felt as a triumph to the characters for one thing.
If anything I could take out SW and DV and replace them with these but doing it this way was the best way to have them all in my Top 10 list :V

Zombine

Banned
Alrighty then the next 2, after that comes my Top 5

7- Archie
Earlier this year Mark Waid and Fiona Staples presented a new modern Archie comic series. Although I can only recall reading maybe a handful of issues so far, what I did read of the series was very funny and filled with heartwarming moments. The presentation of panels to progress the story is a bit uncommon, then again i don't read much comics nowadays, but the structure of each issue so far has managed to keep th events going without feeling lost. Making Jughead the wise man was a nice touch too.

I want to really highlight the importance of this book for Archie as a publisher in general. Not only is it one of the best books of 2015 with some of the most organic writing I have seen in ages, and a rockstar line-up of artists, but it's also a gateway into the Archie universe, and has helped me consider other Archie titles that I would have never even thought twice about picking up. Archie was (and still is, kinda) that book you would grab as an impulse buy when you waited with your mom at the checkout at the grocery store, but at the very least I appreciate and love the characters now. I hope we get a Sabrina book next.

Tizoc

I want to really highlight the importance of this book for Archie as a publisher in general. Not only is it one of the best books of 2015 with some of the most organic writing I have seen in ages, and a rockstar line-up of artists, but it's also a gateway into the Archie universe, and has helped me consider other Archie titles that I would have never even thought twice about picking up. Archie was (and still is, kinda) that book you would grab as an impulse buy when you waited with your mom at the checkout at the grocery store, but at the very least I appreciate and love the characters now. I hope we get a Sabrina book next.

Hasn't the Archie company been downsizing lately though?

Top Bottom