• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Loving this second Slott She Hulk run (2005 one), great first arc with a time travel trial arc. At the end of this arc Jen is sentenced to babysit someone from the time jail (because they were at capacity apparently) and she chooses to free this "Avenger"

latest

Lol who the fuck is this >_<

TheFlow

Banned
But he wasn't in WWH :/
you sure, swore he was in it. Or maybe I am getting the story where Skaar is being trained to kill his dad by Bruce.

edit: Skaar was in World war hulk, I knew I read that issue. Psychbat just messing with me :/. I still have the physical issue.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I already don't like this Eva Bell chick. She looks exactly like Rogue and time travel is a silly power. What are her limitations?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I already don't like this Eva Bell chick. She looks exactly like Rogue and time travel is a silly power. What are her limitations?

None. She's so OP she
tells Cyke to fuck off and removes herself from the timeline

Rhaknar

Btw do you work graveyard shift like me or do you just not sleep Messi?

Rhaknar

I thought he was in spain

And Portugal is on the same time as the UK btw, because we'really special I guess

Messi

Oh are we doing favorite artists?
JHW III

Travis Charest

Moebius/Jean Giraud

Sergio Toppi

Bryan Hitch

Takehiko Inoue

Kim Jung Gi

Katsuhiro Otomo

Kate Beaton

Sean Gordon Murphy

Mike Del Mundo

Milo Manara

Frank Quitely

Ron Wimberly
This makes me wonder how many women mainstream comics has chased out of the industry tbh Staples, Tarr, Lotay, Cloonan, Pichelli, Hans, Amanda Conner, Rios, Wu, Emily Caroll and Erica Henderson are pretty much the biggest names in mainstream comics who are women but they are grossly outnumbered by male counterparts. Not to mention they havent been around 20+ years like a lot of greats. Im not very familiar with Jillian Tamaki's work but shes worth a mention. Jillian Thompson made out a nice career for herself. Historically, women in comics have not really been given the space needed to succeed. At least in western comics. I need to familiarize myself more with female eastern comics artists

Rhaknar

Man, this 2 issue arc of She Hulk (2005), issues 6-7, with Starfox being on trial for sexual assault after he has sex with a random woman was super interesting, as it goes into the nature of his power (and character really) and how it's actually very creepy when you think about it. Like the Avengers version of Purple Man I guess... its no wonder Marvel hasn't touched the character in years.

They even did a meta pepe le pew joke how we thought it was funny when we were kids, but pepe is actually just a glorified rapist forcing himself on the cat (Dave Chappelle dud the same joke, wonder if Slott stole it from him)

They don't even let him off either, as the trial goes on Jen thinks about the time she was with Eros (man...even his name) which she recalls as being her initiative but starts to wonder if it actually WAS her initiative and goes berserk on his ass, but Titan teleports him away from Earth before anything can be resolved.

Just one more of those things in comics that you look back on its origin and you go "what we're they thinking".

Edit: Netflix should do a She Hulk lawyer show

frye

I kind of love Charest's work even though i tend to loathe his style (stiff figures, overly rendered drawings) in most other artists

re: women artists in comics, there's two somewhat noteworthy Silver Age artists in Ramona Fradon at DC and Marie Severin at Marvel. The underground folks were pretty male-centric afaik as well, but there's also stuff like Wimmen's Comix. Other than those, there haven't been as many big ones that I know of though I admit that's probably largely my own ignorance

As far as Japan goes, Rumiko Takahashi (InuYasha, Ranma 1/2, etc) is my bet for the biggest one...she's probably the biggest in the world too

diaspora

RE: Uncanny X-Men 600

Didn't it essentially end with Cyclops proving himself right? That mutants can be peaceful. Beast intervention was great though. Not even young Beast likes him.

No spoilers but just read JL #46...I like at the additional one or two lines of internal thoughts certain characters get that makes them seem just that much more interesting. Manapaul + Buccelato make a good art team for it.

Dalek

A big thank you to everyone who recommended Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine. That was a ton of fun to read-can't believe that one slipped past me somehow.

Surprised at how much I'm liking BKVs first Runaways run. I mean, I know BKV is awesome but the concept didn't really appeal to me at all so I'm really impressed. Might just barrel through both runs before I get back to DD.

Messi

I haven't read it yet but I refuse to believe Terry Moore did bad work on Runaways even though people tell me it's not good.

Rhaknar

Wait....hold up....

I get Alpha Flight monthly again? And redesigned by the BRILLIANT Kris Anka?

AND Carol in a military role protecting the Earth?

There's a new Alpha Flight book coming? :eek:

Acotilletta2--Alpha_Flight_new.jpg

These guys?

Out of interest, what are everyone's #1 favorite event and least favorite event? Doesn't have to be DC/Marvel if that suits...

For me...I'm not sure.

My favorite might be the whole of Infinite Crisis, or 52 if that would count.

My least favorite...hmm I'm probably being reactionary to my own question but maybe Death of Superman. I suspect Axis or Original Sin may rival it, given the opinions I have heard

Sandfox

Out of interest, what are everyone's #1 favorite event and least favorite event? Doesn't have to be DC/Marvel if that suits...

For me...I'm not sure.

My favorite might be the whole of Infinite Crisis, or 52 if that would count.

My least favorite...hmm I'm probably being reactionary to my own question but maybe Death of Superman.

Favorite: Spider Island

Least Favorite: Original Sin

tim1138

List five of your favorite artists. Doesn't have to be in order or ABSOLUTE TOP five. Just five of your favorites. I'm going to include a picture of a page of theirs, just to show off their art style. You don't have to do that part.

Mine:

Darwyn Cooke

Francesco Francavilla

Greg Capullo

Dustin Nguyen

Francis Manapul

Too lazy to find examples, so in no particular order:

Ryan Browne
Nick Pitarra
Chris Burnham
Travel Foreman
Mike Allred

-edit-
And everyone ed posted.
Kirby is my all time favorite.

So its really happening? Star Wars is good again?
It's been at least good for a while. I know some people hate it but I've always liked Revenge of the Sith despite its flaws. The Clone Wars and Rebels have been ranged from decent to excellent and there's been some great books and comics in the past few years. If you're only taking the films into account, I suppose some might come to that conclusion.

Top Bottom