• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Yo... Squadron Supreme #1.

Robinson is a jerk for that. All of that. I thought
Namor's death
was going to be bad, but he really upped it to eleven.

And craft wise, really really bad.

My tastes are fairly limited since I haven't really expanded beyond DC or the Big two.

Rick Veitch
87103566-1e14-4368-89bb-f7c036f068ac.png

Ivan Reis

Jason Fabok

Neal Adams draws my definitive Batman.

Curt Swan just embodies the silver age for me. Best Superman.

Gary Frank isn't so far off though. I'd love to see him continue his work on Shazam, if not Superman's ongoing.

There's a lot of great artists out there, it's so hard to choose. I also like Alex Ross but mostly doing cover work, his interiors are still good but they don't have a lot of motion to them. I also need to pick up more Doc Shaner, his take on Billy was excellent.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So I go into exile.

See you on friday guys! Everyone who sees Star Wars tomorrow night have a lot of fun and may the force be with you

You know that's the truth.

Batman & Robin Eternal #11 was a fun book. We get Cassandra Cain's backstory here. Orphan apparently has more autonomy than I thought. And next issue is probably gonna be seriously trippy.

I'd also like to again commend the writers for really selling the idea that Batman really would consider going through Mother for an heir. It's not gonna happen, but seriously, any other character and I could believe it no problem.

No spoilers but just read JL #46...I like at the additional one or two lines of internal thoughts certain characters get that makes them seem just that much more interesting. Manapaul + Buccelato make a good art team for it.
But The Flash was so booooooring
There's a new Alpha Flight book coming? :eek:

Acotilletta2--Alpha_Flight_new.jpg

These guys?
No one wants this.
Out of interest, what are everyone's #1 favorite event and least favorite event? Doesn't have to be DC/Marvel if that suits...

For me...I'm not sure.

My favorite might be the whole of Infinite Crisis, or 52 if that would count.

My least favorite...hmm I'm probably being reactionary to my own question but maybe Death of Superman. I suspect Axis or Original Sin may rival it, given the opinions I have heard
My favorite? Forever Evil. I also liked Infinity a lot. Does War of Kings count? Because then that takes the cake for favorite (Vulcan getting blown away by Black Bolt gets me every time).

My most disliked? Let's see...Inhumanity was a big bowl of nothing. Just tie-ins, though largely inoffensive. Age of Ultron was a boring collection of nonsense and ultimately nothingness (I still don't know what continuity it changed). AvX was just a masterclass in character assassination with Cyclops. World War Hulk, while it has some dope spreads, is ultimately super boring. Incredibly few entertaining fights. Ultimatum is mean-spirited garbage. And Atlantis Rising? It's not bad. Not terrible. It's bookended nicely, but the middle is a mess.

Ultimatum is my least favorite. At least the rest have some redeeming moments. Ultimatum really doesn't.
About how much Beast sucks and how he's always wrong

Pretty much.

Spider-Man/Deadpool #1 to come with The Vision #1 at no added cost.

This January, the Marvel Universe’s most unlikely duo is about to become a trio! That’s right, today Marvel is pleased to announce that next month’s highly anticipated SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL #1 will now also contain the full issue of the critically acclaimed THE VISION #1 – at no extra cost! Missed out on the title that has the entire comic industry buzzing? Now is your chance to jump on board one of the hottest new series!

“The Vision #1 is a title that perfectly encapsulates the All-New, All-Different Marvel initiative,” says Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “It’s a riveting reinterpretation of a character that has existed for decades and Tom [King], Gabriel [Hernandez Walta] and Jordie [Bellaire] truly hit a home run. We’re hoping that by including it in a huge release like SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL we can get this fantastic first issue in front of a larger audience.”

Here’s what some of the critics have to say about THE VISION #1:

“…a strangely chilling, page-turner of a comic. And it is fantastic.” – io9.com

“The Vision #1 is as pitch-perfect a first issue as I’ve ever read.” – Newsarama

“…this is as compelling as comics can get.” – Adventures in Poor Taste

SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL #1 will now ship with 40 story pages, reprinting the full contents of THE VISION #1 at the end of the issue. Retailers are strongly encouraged to check their orders to meet demand. SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL #1 hits stores on January 6th, 2016.

SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL #1 (NOV150751)
Written by JOE KELLY
Art & Cover by ED MCGUINNESS
FOC – 12/07/15, On-Sale 01/06/16

Nice one, Marvel.

tim1138

No spoilers but just read JL #46...I like at the additional one or two lines of internal thoughts certain characters get that makes them seem just that much more interesting. Manapaul + Buccelato make a good art team for it.

It's about time
Barda
showed up.

Messi

I was surprised that Loki survived the incursions completely. Verity too in her own way, but I do feel bad for her.

Yeah she doesn't make it through unscathed. I loved that they had her react like a normal person when the world's collided. Loved that book and especially Verity.

Events?

If JLA/Avengers counts, that's easily my favourite. Busiek and Perez at the peak of their powers, and probably the last appearances of the classic rosters for both teams considering Identity Crisis and Avengers Disassembled were less than a year later. Still hoping for a reprint someday, my battered UK reprints are showing their age.

It's probably aged terribly, but I have a lot of nostalgia for Onslaught as well. It was the first event I followed as it happened, I got into X-Men when the "Who is the X-Traitor?" stuff was at its' peak (literally every letter in Essential X-Men at the time had a crazy theory).

Bonus UK cover:

That really, really takes me back.

I'm also a big fan of Crisis on Infinite Earths, just because the death of The Flash really hit me hard as a kid, and I wasn't even a big DC fan. Barry Allen's sacrifice was perfect, I honestly wish they'd never brought him back.

I've been catching up on the Judge Dredd Mega Collection as well, lots of events there. The Apocalypse War is my favourite (it gets namechecked in Anthrax's song about Dredd, "I Am The Law" which is probably why), with Day of Chaos (which is a sequel, 35 YEARS LATER!) a close second.

And as far as Transformers, most of the UK book from 86-89 or so is one giant event, but the beginning (Target: 2006) and the finale (Time Wars) are so damn great. They've aged, like a lot, but kid me ate it up with a spoon. There's a story in one of the Annuals, "Altered Image!" where Megatron meets Galvatron to help set up Time Wars (it's where they decide to join forces) that's probably one of my favourite stories ever and it's only about eight pages, and most of it is a retelling of the first half of The Transformers: The Movie (which is canon to the UK comics, because reasons).

Least favourite is Secret Invasion easily. A lot of it is my own fault. I was huge into the Battlestar Galactica remake at the time, and I expected a similar story to the Cylons but with Skrulls. This was not that story. Shame, because that #1 is actually so good but it's squandered pretty quickly. The number of tie-ins was absolutely ghastly as well.

Events, let's see... best has to be Final Crisis. Basically perfect. Full of grandeur and madness.

Worst (that I've actually read to completion) is probably Age of Ultron. What a mess.

Martian Manhunter #7 is kind of blowing my mind. I'm not sure what else to say about it because there's a few twists here that were absolutely NOT forecasted so I'm a little reluctant to talk about it. It's very good.

This was not the right time for a change in artists, though. Definitely not the right time. Ronan Cliquet does a perfectly adequate job, but Barrows has this amazing handle on how Martians are "supposed" to look. They're all kinda chubby cheeked here.

tim1138

But The Flash was so booooooring

Good thing they're not writing Justice League and are just doing art and colors!

Oh it was, but Manapaul does a good Kirby tribute act for the New Gods stuff and I think he + Buccelato work so well together on purely the art side of things.

Yep. Pretty strong too, I also liked
the insinuation that Mr Miracle delayed their honeymoon so he could go save the universe

That entire sequence made me smile. All I need now is a scene of
Barda and Wonder Woman kicking ass together

Good thing they're not writing Justice League and are just doing art and colors!

That entire sequence made me smile. All I need now is a scene of
Barda and Wonder Woman kicking ass together

Indeed.

One bit that I liked was Kalibak's internal monologue, all of 2 lines, about

For my father. For Darkseid!

Which somehow, although it was nothing major, made him seem much more interesting to me other than a slugger who doesn't really do a lot on his own.

I read all the events in a weird way, basically when I started reading DC I made the mistake of reading them off the bat. I read IC without the lead ins, FC made no fucking sense, CoIE was actually not so bad, & Blackest Night without reading John's run. Sinestro Corp War & 52 (if we're counting that as an event) I think was the best event for just jumping right in.

My favorite is still Infinite Crisis (not counting 52) with the lead ins (starting with Identity Crisis -> Prelude to IC/Omac Project -> Sacrifice -> Villains United/Day of Vengeance -> Crisis of Conscience -> Infinite Crisis itself). It showed the DCU falling apart, a commentary on Golden/Silver age vs Modern Age, a tribute to COIE, and the league coming back together. Also Superboy Prime is worth the price alone.

Least Favorite is Armageddon 2001, but I haven't read a lot of the 90's & 80's events. I still have to read DC One Million. I don't see a lot of talk about Day of Judgement, which I liked, if only for Etrigan.

I read all the events in a weird way, basically when I started reading DC I made the mistake of reading them off the bat. I read IC without the lead ins, FC made no fucking sense, CoIE was actually not so bad, & Blackest Night without reading John's run. Sinestro Corp War & 52 (if we're counting that as an event) I think was the best event for just jumping right in.

My favorite is still Infinite Crisis (not counting 52) with the lead ins (starting with Identity Crisis -> Prelude to IC/Omac Project -> Sacrifice -> Villains United/Day of Vengeance -> Crisis of Conscience -> Infinite Crisis itself). It showed the DCU falling apart, a commentary on Golden/Silver age vs Modern Age, a tribute to COIE, and the league coming back together. Also Superboy Prime is worth the price alone.

Holy shit I completely forgot about SCW, don't know how.

Then I adjust mine to Infinite Criris/SCW tied for first place, for me.

Ha ha okay no but seriously how is Darkseid War anything but some kind of ridiculous obnoxious Crisis-tier event.

Shit is getting realer than real.

Oh, and it's also extremely gorgeous. Manapul putting in WORK.

Ha ha okay no but seriously how is Darkseid War anything but some kind of ridiculous obnoxious Crisis-tier event.

Shit is getting realer than real.

Oh, and it's also extremely gorgeous. Manapul putting in WORK.

Fabok replied to my tweet saying he's back on art duties with #47...

I want Fabok to have a long run on the book and maybe stick around as long as Johns does but Manapaul is a different but excellent artist.

Fabok replied to my tweet saying he's back on art duties with #47...

I want Fabok to have a long run on the book and maybe stick around as long as Johns does but Manapaul is a different but excellent artist.

Fabok is great, but seriously some of the stuff Manapul did this issue was on a whole 'nother level. There's a line in the beginning about a "new Odyssey," he captures that feel extraordinarily well.

American Alien #2 was, as expected, dramatically different than the first, but still very very good. It's not charming (well, it's a little bit charming at the end), it's violent and brutal. It's the other side of the coin of Superman coming of age. It's fully of hesitancy and uncertainty in the best ways, the ways that make you feel and understand what the characters are going through.

Only complaint is the art. Generally quite good, it could get a little tough to tell who was who and what was going on in some panels. Only really an issue when
that one woman took that guy hostage. No clue who he or she was or why she's put a knife to his throat.
But outside of that, no issues. Thoroughly recommended.

shingi70

Banned
Events now your talking my Language.

Favorite: Legends it has just the right amount of people turn agaisnt heroes but the heroes are still being heroes. Plus it introduces the Suicide Squad.

Least Favorite: dunno maybe Final Crisis or Axis.

Events now your talking my Language.

Favorite: Legends it has just the right amount of people turn agaisnt heroes but the heroes are still being heroes. Plus it introduces the Suicide Squad.

Least Favorite: dunno maybe Final Crisis or Axis.

I'll take "events I never ever ever ever expected to see placed on a similar tier" for 500 Alex.

This is probably looking for a particular atom in an ocean but is any Comic-Gaffers from the UK/south east/epsom in particular going to see Star Wars tomorrow?

diaspora

So let me see if I understand what happened in Uncanny X-Men 600.
Scott creates his own school with blackjack Frost and hookers Magneto. He recruits mutants, gives them a cause to believe in, makes everyone around him believe in him. Then eventually after Eva threatens him, he takes the opportunity to break all of the trust and likability among his students that he's built by kicking them out- so they turn to his "rival" the Jean Grey School with Storm, so now all mutants are under one roof. He manipulates their antagonism against him by making his presence known in DC through cerebro and all of the mutants show up to confront him. There he takes the opportunity to make his grand speech to show how you can have all the mutants in one place and they can stand there just being people like anyone else; and thus he fulfills Xavier's dream.

If so... that's really something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So let me see if I understand what happened in Uncanny X-Men 600.
Scott creates his own school with blackjack Frost and hookers Magneto. He recruits mutants, gives them a cause to believe in, makes everyone around him believe in him. Then eventually after Eva threatens him, he takes the opportunity to break all of the trust and likability among his students that he's built by kicking them out- so they turn to his "rival" the Jean Grey School with Storm, so now all mutants are under one roof. He manipulates their antagonism against him by making his presence known in DC through cerebro and all of the mutants show up to confront him. There he takes the opportunity to make his grand speech to show how you can have all the mutants in one place and they can stand there just being people like anyone else; and thus he fulfills Xavier's dream.

If so... that's really something.

Pretty much. Cyke was right.

diaspora

Pretty much. Cyke was right.

7lZwLKc.jpg

BTW, for anyone else who might be more current on Loki, in The Mighty Thor #2,
Loki has both horns on his crown, but when he was outside the multiverse with Verity in the last issue of Agent of Asgard, one horn was broken and he was a God of Stories, not a God of Lies. Unless the guy in the mighty thor now is the Old Loki that young loki was feuding with?

Top Bottom